Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

holyzombiejesus

Who is playing the fantasy football this year? Have you finalised your team yet? I've just realised I've picked 2 Fulham players and Rashford.

Ferris

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 08, 2018, 07:33:09 PM
Who is playing the fantasy football this year? Have you finalised your team yet? I've just realised I've picked 2 Fulham players and Rashford.

Panic stations!

Everton picking up Bernard, Andre Gomes and supposedly Mina would be a good day of business.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 07:36:10 AM
Everton picking up Bernard, Andre Gomes and supposedly Mina would be a good day of business.

Until they try to play them all in the same position at the same time...

bgmnts

Not following the football as much but I must say Liverpool have a good chance this year. I know that is said most years but just looking strong everywhere.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on August 09, 2018, 10:04:25 AM
Not following the football as much but I must say Liverpool have a good chance this year. I know that is said most years but just looking strong everywhere.

We have a chance to be much better than last season, but we need to make up 20+ points on Man City just to challenge.
Can't see that happening to be honest.

Man U currently sniffing around Godin from Atletico Madrid.
Only a year from the end of his contract, so his buy out clause is under £20 million.
Arguably the best defender in the world over the past few years.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 08, 2018, 10:47:22 PM
Panic stations!

Yeah. It's trickier this year as a lot of the big hitters will have been at the World Cup and it's hard to know when they'll be back in the first teams. So you can either risk big money on the 'stars' who might not play, go for second string players like Mata who didn't go to Russia but still might not play if the big guns are brought back in to first team action. Salah seems overpriced at 13 million and I think 50% of players have chosen him. I'm floundering to be honest and I think the deadline for transfers is tonight.

Blinder Data

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 09, 2018, 11:24:35 AM
Yeah. It's trickier this year as a lot of the big hitters will have been at the World Cup and it's hard to know when they'll be back in the first teams. So you can either risk big money on the 'stars' who might not play, go for second string players like Mata who didn't go to Russia but still might not play if the big guns are brought back in to first team action. Salah seems overpriced at 13 million and I think 50% of players have chosen him. I'm floundering to be honest and I think the deadline for transfers is tonight.

I'm sure phes will come and spill his infinite FF wisdom, but I think there is always value to be found in highly rated players who have just arrived into the PL. Not telling you who though!

Gave up on last season's stalwarts, Kane and Salah. Like you say, too expensive. Having a Man City/Liverpool spine is my tactic.

DrGreggles

phes

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 09, 2018, 11:43:51 AM
I'm sure phes will come and spill his infinite FF wisdom, but I think there is always value to be found in highly rated players who have just arrived into the PL. Not telling you who though!

Gave up on last season's stalwarts, Kane and Salah. Like you say, too expensive. Having a Man City/Liverpool spine is my tactic.

Sadly my wisdom is neither infinite (I gave up 1/2 way through last season after going fuck this and going on a suicidal transfer bender, known in Fantasy Football Scout circles as 'doing a Jonty') nor am I actually capable of taking my own advice. I average something like 20-50,000 rank these-days, good but not great, and what stops me doing well each year is a lack of patience anda hit addiction. I daresay I could walk the walk and crack the top 10,000 if I only had patience. I think SUPERMANGOS manager has been top dog last couple of years and Crabwalk prior to that.

But my advice would be to steer absolutely clear of anyone involved in the latter stages of the World Cup. That means Kane, Sterling, De Bruyne etc etc. There is no reason to own any of these players as there are loads of other comparable options. My only other advice really is that going without Salah is very likely to be a horrible mistake that puts you in a very tricky position. Here's why: He's clearly not a flash in the pan (Check his exploits in Italy in 2016/17), look into his stats, same position, likely same minutes, he's scoring in pre-season, Liverpool are even improved and there's nothing that points towards rotation this early in the season. Chance are he'll hit 250-350 points if he stays fit. So you're gambling that not only will he fail to reproduce, but that whoever you pick instead will do the business. This is a double whammy of risk, and one that's very unlikely to come off in your favour. On top of that, Salah will have almost 100% ownership in the top 500,000 quality managers, and very high in the remainder. So when you miss out on his points, which you probably will, you'll plummet like a stone. When he scores in week 1, and he likely will, everyone that doesn't own him will jump on him. This will leave you either sticking to you guns or facing a hit in Week 2. If you do stick to your guns then his price will be rising. How much will he eventually cost and how much ground will you have lost by the time you admit defeat. Basically, this is not the player to make your big gamble on. It's not worth it. If you do own him and he fails, no biggie, everyone fails.

If you are looking at his price and thinking you could be getting in Aguero and/or Aubameyang instead then I think that's barking up the wrong tree. Find a way to get all three in, take a couple of smaller gambles on budget players instead of one big gamble on the biggest player in the game. Cover those players that could kill you (and there are three or four this year, at least when Aguero plays). At this stage in the season there will be very few other players or combinations of players with a high enough ownership capable of badly damaging your season.

And if you're struggling for budget picks then you could do worse to have a look here at set-piece takers. There's no guarantee these will be totally accurate, or rewarded with points, but as a rule these players who hog set pieces tend to get plenty of minutes and it's good to have involved players

https://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/premiership-set-piece-takers/

Even better if you've an hour to spare, listen to the podcast. I'm going to listen to the pre-season one now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=9kjRm7Yh3wk

Great Satan

I've got Salah, Aubameyang and Agüero on my team, with enough in the bank to switch Mahrez out for KdB later if he doesn't produce the goods. I'm taking a gamble on Kanté or Neves as my 4th midfielder because I think at least one of them will get 100+ points this year. Having Kanté will land you with 80-110 points pretty reliably, but we are already seeing him pushing further up the pitch, making runs behind defenders, under Sarri and that could make him a very interesting choice for a 5.0m midfielder.

My other gamble is starting with Sturridge as my 3rd striker. This may turn out to be a horrible mistake.

phes

Shall we open a thread. It may not get used that often but it doesn't seem fair to keep bumping this for FPL

Ferris

Quote from: phes on August 09, 2018, 04:27:59 PM
Shall we open a thread. It may not get used that often but it doesn't seem fair to keep bumping this for FPL

Yes totally agree. My exploits in steering my FF mob towards the trapdoor of the league will require a thread of its own.

gabrielconroy

I have Schurrle instead of Kante or Neves but I'm starting to think this is a mistake. I also did a zombie team for another league (where you pick a 15 then make no changes at all throughout the season) where I somehow managed to pick Kane, Salah and Mane as well as some premium defenders and Ederson. Very tempting to rejig my main team to get Mane in there as well as Liverpool look set to smash the goals in all over the place this season.

Sgt. Duckie

Hey I'm playing this year. Prepare to eat my dust.

Everton have basically sold almost everyone they brought in last year and got a load more in. Great stuff. Great to get rid of some of the dreck like Mirallas, especially.

Digne, Mina, Zouma are legit defenders and all better than what we've currently got. Bernard and Gomes have got a lot more potential than we've shown as a club for the last few years, time will tell, and Richarlison has already made an excellent start and reports are great. Just need Cenk, Siggy and Walcott to go hard and maybe bring in another striker in Jan. Gueye is legit. Pickford legit. Schneid, I don't care now. Davies is a bit shit, too. Beni will hopefully come on this year.

Twelfth.

BlodwynPig

garnish

Amazing how Everton have spent half a billion pound to build a midtable team.

Hopefully Usmanov's filthy slave funds will bankroll us to ninth within three years.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 09, 2018, 10:55:29 PM
Hopefully Usmanov's filthy slave funds will bankroll us to ninth within three years.

My Preddo ball Preddos Everton to Finish 4th.

finnquark

Why have Swansea compiled a squad with one centre half?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: finnquark on August 09, 2018, 11:19:41 PM
Why have Swansea compiled a squad with one centre half?

They've heard League 1 is the new Championship.

bgmnts

Pen within 75 seconds for the Mancs at Old Trafford.

'Twas like being in the Fergie days of yore.

Gulftastic

Quote from: bgmnts on August 10, 2018, 08:06:53 PM
Pen within 75 seconds for the Mancs at Old Trafford.

'Twas like being in the Fergie days of yore.

Was it a fair call?

BlodwynPig