Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:08:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Liverpool v Bayern!

Just what I wanted. Never had the chance to go on an away day in Munich before. Don't think we've been drawn against them since 1981.

Captain Z

QuoteSchalke v Man City
Atletico Madrid v Juventus
Man Utd v PSG
Tottenham v Borussia Dortmund
Lyon v Barcelona
Roma v Porto
Ajax v Real Madrid
Liverpool v Bayern Munich

Happy with that as a Spurs fan. Excited for the Utd game too.

DrGreggles

Atletico Madrid v Juventus should be good too.

George Oscar Bluth II

Manchester United v PSG is the only possible fixture in which I will cheer for United.

Chollis

Great draw. Can't remember the last time we played Bayern.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Chollis on December 17, 2018, 07:16:17 PM
Great draw. Can't remember the last time we played Bayern.
Super Cup in 2001, I remember watching while a tad drunk (during my student years, naturally). I suspect you may be going back to 1981  for a "proper" meeting, though.

finnquark

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 16, 2018, 09:24:10 PM
Liverpool fans need to graduate from trying to pointscore over Man Utd fans, the triumphalism over a basically irrelevant embarrassing mess of a side, other than perhaps Mourinho who is a nasty piece of work, is unnecessary and shows the fans to still be small-minded and focused on cheap shots and short termism rather than actually winning trophies. If you want to really consign Man Utd to history just ignore them as an inferior irrelevance rather than acting as though they are a rival for your season goals.

You would be distinctly unimpressed at the sight of Alty vs one of the Northwich Victorias in the Cheshire Senior Cup

Chollis

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 16, 2018, 09:24:10 PM
Liverpool fans need to graduate from trying to pointscore over Man Utd fans, the triumphalism over a basically irrelevant embarrassing mess of a side, other than perhaps Mourinho who is a nasty piece of work, is unnecessary and shows the fans to still be small-minded and focused on cheap shots and short termism rather than actually winning trophies. If you want to really consign Man Utd to history just ignore them as an inferior irrelevance rather than acting as though they are a rival for your season goals.

stick it up yer bollocks

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah sucks to discover you're no better doesn't it?

Moving on, how about this for a thoroughly disingenuous remark. Theresa May would be proud of it.

QuoteNottingham Forest boss Aitor Karanka:

"I don't know if it was a penalty. The referee was closer than me and if he made that decision it's because he felt it was the right decision.

monolith

The new Wenger? Hopefully in more ways than just that...

king_tubby

king_tubby

im barry bethel

king_tubby

Wonder if he's offered Phil Jones £20 a day to go with him and Hoover up and that.

Bennett Brauer

More martyrdom, he's probably delighted.

Was really looking forward to Cardiff away on Saturday as well. Warnock baiting him into a meltdown fight that spills on to the pitch, ideally ending in the net with the goals collapsing on top of them.

BlodwynPig

DrGreggles

mash

Terrible timing. Gives almost no time for David Squires to re-write this week's comic!

lebowskibukowski

Daniel Levy will be licking his lips at the thought of the amount of money he will squeeze out of United for Poch

Chollis

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 18, 2018, 07:41:01 AM
Yeah sucks to discover you're no better doesn't it?

No better than what exactly? I don't know if you're referring to specific examples after the match but if you can't enjoy a win (the first in the league since 2013) over your most hated historic rivals then I'm not sure you're in the right sport. The piss-taking, schadenfreude and gloating is all part of the petty (and brilliant) tribalism of football for me Clive.

Anyway. Shame about Jose. Had hoped they'd keep that toxic sludge in charge for as long as possible, they were going nowhere with him. I imagine they want Poch but I don't know why he'd go there. Got Zidane written all over it.

MuteBanana

There was a thread on RedCafe pointing out Chelsea sacked Jose on December 17th. Guess they waited an extra day.

I know he's a tosser but he still manages to win things. For him to do fuck all at United in the league is a kind of strange fall from grace. Honestly did anyone expect it because I had them nailed on for at least one league title during his reign.

Poch going is one thing but I'd worry about the players he might take with him. Lamela, Eriksen, Lloris if De Gea goes. Maybe even young dudes like Gazzinga and Foyth. Thinking about it I still don't know why Alderweireld is constantly linked with United. If its just about  bigger wage he can fuck off now, sod the window. The league has changed unless he hasn't noticed. Go to City or even Liverpool if you're medal hungry.

EOLAN

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 18, 2018, 11:40:03 AM

I know he's a tosser but he still manages to win things. For him to do fuck all at United in the league is a kind of strange fall from grace. Honestly did anyone expect it because I had them nailed on for at least one league title during his reign.

I would have expected a slightly stronger title challenge before a malaise of a season like this one. The trajectory of his team's decline isn't all that surprising. He did reasonably well to have them securely in second place last season but they were left in Man City's long shadow. This year represents his usual decline year like he had with Chelsea after winning the League.

Beagle 2

Last season he won Europa League, got the the FA Cup Final and finished runner up in the league, so he didn't do "fuck all", especially in the context of modern Man U. He could have just about ridden the results out this year if he hadn't been such an enormous berk.

Chollis

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 18, 2018, 11:46:56 AM
Last season he won Europa League, got the the FA Cup Final and finished runner up in the league, so he didn't do "fuck all", especially in the context of modern Man U. He could have just about ridden the results out this year if he hadn't been such an enormous berk.

The Europa win was 16/17. I did think they'd stick with him til the end of the season but I don't think it's the silverware that was the problem. Worst start to a league campaign in 28 years, +0 goal difference, horrible style of football, arguably no player has improved under his management (Lingard maybe?) and £400m mostly spent on players that aren't good enough. They can do much better. Give it Giggseh.

greenman

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 18, 2018, 11:40:03 AM
There was a thread on RedCafe pointing out Chelsea sacked Jose on December 17th. Guess they waited an extra day.

Poch going is one thing but I'd worry about the players he might take with him. Lamela, Eriksen, Lloris if De Gea goes. Maybe even young dudes like Gazzinga and Foyth. Thinking about it I still don't know why Alderweireld is constantly linked with United. If its just about  bigger wage he can fuck off now, sod the window. The league has changed unless he hasn't noticed. Go to City or even Liverpool if you're medal hungry.

There does seem to be a sweet spot or a season or two for him going into teams with a good attack but a dodgy defence, shorting out the latter before things just become too defensive and the success dries up. The Ferguson style of ruling from on high is on the way out as well IMHO, players just won't tolerate it anymore, happened at Chelsea now at Utd.