Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chollis on January 07, 2019, 09:55:59 PM
Fully behind the decision to lose this

Hope you go on and lose all competitions now.

Jockice

Quote from: jobotic on January 05, 2019, 11:58:23 PM
Got to be the first time Gillingham have led Match of the Day.

Yes, but they did finish second in the old fourth division in 73/74. And went up with Peterborough and Colchester. That's a football trivia fact that'll be in my head forever. Along with York City's captain that season. Barry Swallow.

I didn't see any football at the weekend (it was a certain someone who has no interest in it whatsoever's birthday, We did bump into her Derby County fan teenage son in the pub on Saturday evening though. I have family in Southampton so I beat him up) but surely nobody's expressing surprise at whatever Warnock's latest rant was. We had years of this sort of stuff in Sheffield. I find him quite entertaining and am still disappointed that the one time I met him he was actually quiet and reasonably nice.

Anyway, anyone remember when ITV got the FA Cup a few years ago? There was a massive shock in the third round (I think it involved Man City) but it got about a minute's coverage because they'd already decided on the schedule. Pricks.

And that's not forgetting the time they decided to show a dead rubber Man U game in the Champions League when Celtic could actually qualify from their group if they beat Juventus and the other result went our way. It finished 4-3 and even though Celtic went out it was one of the best matches I've seen in my life. I was actually there but it not being shown live on TV still rankles. Pricks.

Beagle 2

I love Warnock, I know he's a bell but that's sort of the point. I just heard an unpleasant and almost certainly untrue rumour about him showing the dressing room a video of him sexing a lady though.

finnquark

Listening to Warnock's autobiography, read by the man himself in the audiobook version, were 18 of the funniest hours of my life.

buttgammon

Quote from: finnquark on January 08, 2019, 12:53:04 PM
Listening to Warnock's autobiography, read by the man himself in the audiobook version, were 18 of the funniest hours of my life.

Sounds amazing! To be honest, I'm just imagining something like the bit in Father Ted where Ted reads out a long list of all those who have wronged him over the years.

finnquark

Quote from: buttgammon on January 08, 2019, 12:57:07 PM
Sounds amazing! To be honest, I'm just imagining something like the bit in Father Ted where Ted reads out a long list of all those who have wronged him over the years.

You're not far off. I'll post some highlights when I'm home later if you like, it's about time I gave it another (fourth) listen.

bgmnts

I had no idea this existed. This could be funnier than I,Partridge.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Chollis

Corrr, this sounds incredible. Might even beat Steve Bruce's fantastic Striker/Sweeper novels

(in case anyone hasn't seen them) https://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

Jockice

Utter Shit

Dembele is going to China. I know he was only fit for about two weeks a season, but what a fucking player on his day. One of the very best around.

Squink

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 08, 2019, 12:16:34 PM
I love Warnock, I know he's a bell but that's sort of the point. I just heard an unpleasant and almost certainly untrue rumour about him showing the dressing room a video of him sexing a lady though.

Fantastic if true, but difficult to imagine why he'd do it. Also, not sure I'd actually want to watch it if it leaked.

imitationleather

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 08, 2019, 01:44:29 PM
Dembele is going to China. I know he was only fit for about two weeks a season, but what a fucking player on his day. One of the very best around.

Shame to see him go, but it's probably for the best for him.

No hard feelings!

finnquark

The Gaffer - The Trials And Tribulations Of A Football Manager is Neil Warnock's account of his time as Palace, QPR and Leeds manager. We begin at Palace.

Chapter One: Life In Administration

Neil begins with an account of flying from Gatwick to Newcastle, and landing with the team to find out the club is in administration. He then discusses how, when back in London, he 'found himself talking to the deer in Richmond Park, which was probably a warning sign - even if it was a magnificent stag!' There follows a humdrum discussion of the first post-administration transfer window, and the first of many bete-noires, an administrator by the name of Mr Guilfoyle. Neil shafts him by playing Danny Butterfield up front.

'I had four chairman at Scarborough, and I often joked that I was the first manager to give a chairman a vote of no confidence. In fact, one died, one was Geoffrey Richmond who later over-reached himself at Bradford City, and one went to prison.'

'Now at Palace, I was working for an administrator who wanted his name in the paper, and it was doing my head in.' Neil struggles to comprehend how administrators and creditors do not necessarily have the 1st eleven winning matches as their number one priority. He moves onto a charming account of his early playing career (the narrative is unconventional), pointing out that his 300 league games across eight clubs is evidence that 'I wasn't rubbish, but managers wanted to buy me but not keep me.'

Neil reminds us of his chiropodist practice, which he established in his non-league days, and reveals he once treated either Tommy Smith or Joey Barton for an ingrowing toenail whilst at QPR, but won't say which, the coy bastard!

He reminisces that his first management gig came about when 'a bunch of scruffy urchins who used to play on the green in Seaton Carew where I lived' whilst at Hartlepool knocked on his door, asking for him to coach them. Neil recounts running down the touchline and celebrating at the corner flag after a corner routine came off in his second match in charge. The buzz never left him.

'I wasn't going to be offered a top job, because of who I am.'

Neil then chunters about the value of age. He and Harry Redknapp often laugh about 'the latest young gun' with 'all of their qualifications'. It isn't a surprise that most good managers are over 60. Neil played in 'Arry's last league game in England. 'I'll have to remind him next time I see him'. Neil's first match at Scarborough (his 3rd club) was home to Wolverhampton, whose fans nearly killed him with a coke can full of sand. 'I think they're going to put houses on Scarborough's ground now.'

Oh, we're mentioning Notts County briefly (two promotions, into the top flight) which he describes as 'all glamour'. The chairman cancelled overnight stays, but Neil compensated with a mid-season trip to Scarborough. Mark Draper and Tommy Johnson didn't like the guesthouse, even though he gave them a special room with bunks. Neil turned down Chelsea to stay at County, before getting sacked, and then he went to Torquay who were bottom of the fourth division. He kept them up - but it's never been about the money.

Neil salivates over a Chinese he and the Torquay lads had at Lancaster services, on the way back from securing their league status with a win at Carlisle. 'It tasted like caviar. And lobster.' Then he swiftly moves to his time at Huddersfield, Plymouth, Oldham, Bury, and Sheffield. The only comment on these clubs is that he always quit when the chairman lost confidence with him. The same was true when it all ended at Palace.

And that's chapter one.

finnquark

Just for clarity, it's only 9 hours long. I was confusing it with the other audiobook I was listening to in the winter of 2012, Paul Burrell - A Royal Duty. Read by Paul Burrell. Lasting 18 hours.

Jockice

Quote from: finnquark on January 08, 2019, 08:01:20 PM
Just for clarity, it's only 9 hours long. I was confusing it with the other audiobook I was listening to in the winter of 2012, Paul Burrell - A Royal Duty. Read by Paul Burrell. Lasting 18 hours.

Blimey! I think I could take about three seconds of that.

Utter Shit

Is that the first time ever a team has won a game without touching the ball?

Squink

Quote from: finnquark on January 08, 2019, 07:59:16 PM
Gold

Thanks so much for typing all this out! It also lead me to this Graun interview with him about the book, which has many highlights in itself, including more stag talk.

QuoteAt one point, things were going badly at QPR and you ended up in Richmond Park talking to a deer. What did you discuss? Yes, I was riding around on my mountain bike and its head just popped up and frightened me to death. It was a massive stag. Our eyes just sort of met and I said "It's alright for you in here; you're not having to decide who you're going to drop on Saturday!" It was things like that.

Did he have any advice for you? No, he just stood there. He never ran away or anything, it was so amazing. I can see the funny side of it now but I didn't say anything at the time because people would have thought I was round the bend. But it was just appropriate at the time, you know? Talking to a stag in the park about my team selection. It was one of those moments that you don't forget.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Chollis

Jockice

Maurice Yeatman

Everyone knows he's an anagram of Colin Wanker, but Acorn Winkle is a nice bonus.

Ferris

DrGreggles

I've just realised that Burton Menswear Albion are in the League Cup semi-final?
How did that happen?
Easy draws or low scale giant-killings?

Captain Z

Watch: Man City calmly DISMANTLES inferior lower league team

DrGreggles

Just another 50 minutes to go.

And then the 2nd leg...

DrGreggles

VAR decision: Team getting hammered, so penalty not given because we feel sorry for them.