Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squink

Can we just pop the Carabao and FA Cups in bin and be done? A second string of millionaires effortlessly beating minnows. What is point?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Squink on January 09, 2019, 08:36:01 PM
Can we just pop the Carabao and FA Cups in bin and be done? A second string of millionaires effortlessly beating minnows. What is point?

#ROMANCEOFTHECUPMEANSROMANCEOFTHECUP

bgmnts

I bet there's a crazy stat where the entire value of that Burton team amounts to Raheem Sterling's weekly wage.

Football is great sometimes but isn't it a nice microcosm of how abysmal society is?

bigfatheart

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 09, 2019, 07:38:34 PM
Easy draws or low scale giant-killings?

The latter - put out Villa, Burnley, Forest and Middlesbrough (and Shrewsbury, but that's less of a shock).

It baffles me that Nigel Clough appears to have become a bit of a cup expert these days, after four and a half years of resolutely not giving a fuck about the cups at Derby. Fair play, I suppose, although it's painful to watch a manager and a few players I liked when they were here get the absolute shit kicked out of them. A boot stamping on Bambi's Mum's face forever over two legs.

BlodwynPig

Definition of CHUMP

Quote- Man City 8 (Eight)-0 Burton
Kyle Walker
This is getting silly now. Eight!

Emily, that poor Burton fan who left London at 13:00 GMT and has endured a nightmare on the M6, has just arrived in the ground.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bigfatheart on January 09, 2019, 08:55:22 PM
The latter - put out Villa, Burnley, Forest and Middlesbrough (and Shrewsbury, but that's less of a shock).

Good on 'em.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 09, 2019, 09:22:02 PM
Emily, that poor Burton fan who left London at 13:00 GMT and has endured a nightmare on the M6, has just arrived in the ground.

She can always enjoy the 2nd leg.

kalowski

finnquark

Quote from: Squink on January 09, 2019, 08:36:01 PM

I'd love Alty to lose 9-0 at the Etihad

Ferris

king_tubby

Quote from: bigfatheart on January 09, 2019, 08:55:22 PMFair play, I suppose, although it's painful to watch a manager and a few players I liked when they were here get the absolute shit kicked out of them.

Yeah, agree with that. Brayford and Buxton were always decent.

And who could forget Legend 'Stephen Bywater' Gary?

https://metro.co.uk/2010/09/22/stephen-bywaters-toilet-art-infuriates-neighbours-521091/

finnquark

A shorter precis of Chapter 2 from Warnock:

- Neil took Sharon and his son, William, to his job interview at QPR. 'We were shown into a drawing room (or parlour, depending on your background).'

- 'I'm good at interviews, as you might expect, but not infallible.'

- A few grumbles about pay, most of which boil down to Neil not having checked his con(e)tracts.

- Neil claims that having shaken on the deal to manage QPR, he turned down an unspecified Premier League club (Neil holds the mic away from him when reciting the Premier League club parts of this conversation, which is a nice touch).

- 'I always start my first training session with a match, 2 big goals, 40 yards apart, ten a side and shin pads on. If anyone doesn't head a ball when it's there to be headed, I give a foul. If people bottle tackles, I give a foul. These days, you couldn't do it at Premier League level, they'd just walk off.'

- Neil says he would normally 'bomb out a lad like Adel Taraabt on day one, because he is not an English pro' but he had a hunch it might work out.

- Rest of it is a humdrum recap of his first half season at QPR, finishing with another barb at Palace administrator Guilfoyle.

DrGreggles

PSG (at full strength) knocked out of the French Cup at home by bottom of the league Guingamp.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 09, 2019, 10:37:01 PM
PSG (at full strength) knocked out of the French Cup at home by bottom of the league Guingamp.

2 pens for Guingamp, 3 yellows after the 90th minute penno for PSG. toys out of pram?

Ferris

Quote from: finnquark on January 09, 2019, 10:06:35 PM
A shorter precis of Chapter 2 from Warnock:

- Neil took Sharon and his son, William, to his job interview at QPR. 'We were shown into a drawing room (or parlour, depending on your background).'

- 'I'm good at interviews, as you might expect, but not infallible.'

- A few grumbles about pay, most of which boil down to Neil not having checked his con(e)tracts.

- Neil claims that having shaken on the deal to manage QPR, he turned down an unspecified Premier League club (Neil holds the mic away from him when reciting the Premier League club parts of this conversation, which is a nice touch).

- 'I always start my first training session with a match, 2 big goals, 40 yards apart, ten a side and shin pads on. If anyone doesn't head a ball when it's there to be headed, I give a foul. If people bottle tackles, I give a foul. These days, you couldn't do it at Premier League level, they'd just walk off.'

- Neil says he would normally 'bomb out a lad like Adel Taraabt on day one, because he is not an English pro' but he had a hunch it might work out.

- Rest of it is a humdrum recap of his first half season at QPR, finishing with another barb at Palace administrator Guilfoyle.

These are great, really enjoying them

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2019, 12:09:30 AM
2 pens for Guingamp, 3 yellows after the 90th minute penno for PSG. toys out of pram?

3 pens, Thuram's son missed one!

DrGreggles

Quote from: chveik on January 10, 2019, 12:33:55 AM
3 pens, Thuram's son missed one!

They were all pens though, even though one was VARred.

jobotic

I will love it LOVE IT if Burton turn them over at their place.

finnquark

Chapter 3

- Neil begins by wanking off about Alejandro Faurlin, and then compares himself to Yul Brynner in Magnificent Seven, having to recruit a 'band of brothers'.

- Neil claims Heidar Helgusson was the best striker in the Championship.

- Neil bemoans Ronaldinho for not tracking back for Milan in a 4-0 defeat at Old Trafford, and says the only player in the world that he would allow to get away with this is Adel Taraabt.

- First summer window at QPR  - Neil signed Taraabt, Paddy Kenny (QPR told Neil he couldn't sign him as 'he'd been done for taking drugs', but Neil 'was distraught' and smoothed things over with the board - 'he'd just been taking something for a cold'),Shaun Derry and Clint Hill from Palace, and finally Jamie Mackie ('he made a great sub, but he was also worth picking from the start').

- Neil remembers signing a lad called Paul Harding who 'was a lovable rogue come out of non-league and was living in a caravan when I found him'. Gazza elbowed him in the FA Cup Quarter Final, but the ref didn't send him off. Gazza scord the winner and then did his knee in the Final. 'A lot of things could have been different if the referee had done his job that day.'

- Neil claims he signed a lad called Gary Clayton for Huddersfield and Plymouth 'because he made me smile'.

- About Ronnie Mauge - 'On the pitch he didn't take any prisoners, but off it he nearly became one. I was a character witness, and told the judge I'd be prepared to let him live in my home if he granted bail... Ronnie was good as gold at home, and Sharon loved him. After a time doing my domestic chores, the penny dropped and he sorted his life out. Wonderful lad. Managers love changing rogues.'

- An example of a failed rogue was Ashley Sestanovich, who Neil signed because 'he looked so much like Thierry Henry, he had been a body double for him in an advertisement'. He got 8 years in jail for a failed robbery where a man was killed.

- Sorry, Neil then immediately jumps to a discussion of motorway service stations - 'there was a time I could have told you what the coffee tasted like at Knutsford, how hot the pies were at Membury, and how clean the toilets were at Woodhall'. Oh it's to do with scouting for players, which Neil did himself until Notts County.

- Neil bemoans 'the foreign aspect' and 'DVDs'.

- Now he moves onto his trips abroad to scout players. The central anecdote surrounds him getting served shit coffee at a Polish league game near the Russian border. The player he was scouting got sent off early doors, but 'it wasn't a completely wasted journey. On the way back to Warsaw, we stopped off and had one of the longest sausages I'd ever seen. A giant hot dog, which cost about a million Polish zloty.'

- Neil claims he went to scout Alpay in a World Cup playoff in 'the Fenerbahce stadium' but ended up in the home fans section and had his phone lifted by 'some bearded bloke'. In order to blend in, he waved a Turkish flag above his head.

- 'I also got pickpocketed in Vietnam when I went to watch a Chinese player for Sheffield United. A wizened old lady bumped into me and took my wallet.'

- Neil sounds a bit sad at having turned down Bobby Zamora, then spending £1m on Akinbiyi and Geoff Horsfield.

Chapter 4 tomorrow unless I'm clogging up the thread. Should be a good one, it's called 'Team Bonding'.

chveik

Chollis

Quote from: finnquark on January 10, 2019, 10:11:35 PM
- Neil bemoans Ronaldinho for not tracking back for Milan in a 4-0 defeat at Old Trafford, and says the only player in the world that he would allow to get away with this is Adel Taraabt.

laughed

Shoulders?-Stomach!

boki

dr beat

Yes more Warnock please.  I feel like I'm on a journey.

greenman

Would have sold better if he'd gone with the suggest title of "Colin: A Life"

king_tubby

Big match tonight, lads. We all hate Leeds. Fat Frank's gonna kick that bucket right up Bielsa's bumhole.

bgmnts