Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,478
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnish

Quote from: finnquark on January 13, 2019, 06:53:47 PM
- 'When the testers come, I sometimes point at a player who has performed poorly and say "Can you test them?" They never take any notice.'

Utter Partridge.

Bronzy

Fucking hell, I didn't realise that the Warnock quote about Brexit was real. I assumed the thread had went down an H.S. Art route and decided to join in with some fake quotes of my own.

The guy is utterly mental.

hummingofevil

Quote from: imitationleather on January 13, 2019, 08:13:59 PM

An immensely frustrating game (for a Spurs fan, obvs). De Gea did very well. People are saying his saves were easy, but constantly being in exactly the right place is an incredible skill. We look a lot poorer without Sissoko, which isn't something I ever thought I'd be saying a couple of years ago. Lamela seemed a weird choice to bring on to replace him

There is a Saves Of The Season VHS from 88 or 89 with Ray Clémence doing the studio presenting. Nevile Southall pretty much wins save of every month and usually it's against far more spectacular shot-stops from likes of Grobelaar. Kind of goes against the entertaining intention of the video but Clemence must use the phrase "his positioning makes it look easy" about a dozen times.

There was also a brilliant Steve (??? - Charlton joint manager with Curbishly) when he went in goal after keep got crocked.

Found it: https://youtu.be/Y7T4X94F0YQ

Edit: https://youtu.be/f99RTkWKlXY

DrGreggles

Quote from: imitationleather on January 13, 2019, 08:13:59 PM
Unfortunately because the ref gave Pogba a yellow there can't be a retrospective punishment.

Some Twitterers are saying that the booking was for dissent rather than the foul, so a ban could still be heading his way.
It's a stupid rule anyway - and one the FA have imposed on themselves.
There's nothing to stop them reviewing/retrospective banning/etc.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 14, 2019, 12:19:22 AM
There is a Saves Of The Season VHS from 88 or 89 with Ray Clémence doing the studio presenting. Nevile Southall pretty much wins save of every month and usually it's against far more spectacular shot-stops from likes of Grobelaar. Kind of goes against the entertaining intention of the video but Clemence must use the phrase "his positioning makes it look easy" about a dozen times.

There was also a brilliant Steve (??? - Charlton joint manager with Curbishly) when he went in goal after keep got crocked.

Pass back!!

imitationleather

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 14, 2019, 12:48:44 AM
Some Twitterers are saying that the booking was for dissent rather than the foul, so a ban could still be heading his way.
It's a stupid rule anyway - and one the FA have imposed on themselves.
There's nothing to stop them reviewing/retrospective banning/etc.

I wonder what the idea behind the rule is. Maybe it's an attempt to give managers of the Neil Warnock variety something less to moan about post-match.

Although this won't be a problem for long because when we are living in our glorious VAR paradise all these decisions will be reviewed straightaway. I can't wait. The bit I'm looking forward to most is the little picture of the VAR people in their shed with all the tellys that appears on-screen at the start of every single game for the rest of time.

monkfromhavana

Gritt

Glyn

Quote from: Bronzy on January 13, 2019, 11:45:32 PM
Fucking hell, I didn't realise that the Warnock quote about Brexit was real. I assumed the thread had went down an H.S. Art route and decided to join in with some fake quotes of my own.

A working theory is that there is a direct correlation between the craziness of his comments and how his team have just performed. Take from they what you will about just how bad Cardiff were this Saturday.

phantom_power

Quote from: imitationleather on January 14, 2019, 05:12:49 AM
I wonder what the idea behind the rule is. Maybe it's an attempt to give managers of the Neil Warnock variety something less to moan about post-match.

I think the idea is that post-match cards are only for things the referee didn't see. It is seen as undermining the referee to change a decision they have already made. It obviously doesn't take into account where a ref makes a decision based on something he didn't see properly or something happened that he didn't see that would affect the decision but that's the FA for you

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on January 14, 2019, 11:29:18 AM
I think the idea is that post-match cards are only for things the referee didn't see. It is seen as undermining the referee to change a decision they have already made. It obviously doesn't take into account where a ref makes a decision based on something he didn't see properly or something happened that he didn't see that would affect the decision but that's the FA for you

But red cards can be revoked, which surely undermines the ref at least as much.

Norton Canes

What a load of crap! Most of those saves are only shown from one angle!

JamesTC

Quote from: Bronzy on January 13, 2019, 11:45:32 PM

Cardiff have distanced themselves from the Brexit comments and say that they "do not reflect the political position of the club, nor its board of directors".

These are the comments Warnock delivered in front of a big sign that said: "Visit Malaysia".

imitationleather

David Wagner leaving Huddersfield seems a bit of a shame. They're going down fo' sho' and aren't a team that are ever going to establish themselves in the Premier League. Even Big Sam couldn't work his black magic there.

I hope for the sake of David Squires and comedy in general that Tim Sherwood is top of the list of their potential replacements.

Chollis

DrGreggles

Quote from: imitationleather on January 14, 2019, 07:52:33 PM
David Wagner leaving Huddersfield seems a bit of a shame. They're going down fo' sho' and aren't a team that are ever going to establish themselves in the Premier League.

"Mutual consent" seems to be the surprisingly genuine reason given.
Wagner overachieved in getting them up and then keeping them up, but he probably doesn't think he can do much more (and won't want a relegation on his CV).
The board almost certainly agree, but are hoping that a new manager bounce can get them out of trouble.
Makes sense really.

imitationleather

Maybe Wagner will end up at Everton once Silva passes the eight months he gets in each job before being exposed for the fraud he is.

bgmnts

Fucking great tackle. I hate being one of those "the game is gone" blokes but fuck me what can you do? Just not tackle anymore? Turn it into a basketball type game?

Going to be a very boring game now.

imitationleather

Chollis

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2019, 08:21:51 PM
Fucking great tackle. I hate being one of those "the game is gone" blokes but fuck me what can you do? Just not tackle anymore? Turn it into a basketball type game?

Going to be a very boring game now.

That was a straight red. Not as bad as Kompany's like but....

DrGreggles

If you go flying in like that you can't complain if you get sent off.
Getting the ball is irrelevant - it's reckless and dangerous.

BlodwynPig

finnquark

Chapter 7 - The Referee Is Always Right

- Neil begins with a discussion of a game on a Lincolnshire military base in the 1970s, which he refereed. Neil recounts not giving a penalty to the home team when they were 3-0 up, because he didn't want it to be a massacre in the second half ('the home team had the slope after the break'). So he didn't give the penalty, and after the break the away team scored four and won 4-3. Neil says this incident taught him that referees have a hard job and act with good intentions, which he bears in mind when talking to or about them.

- 'I am worried about the standard of officials. We have a generation of referees coming through who have never kicked the ball, not even at a decent youth level. Because they do not understand the game, they get the big decisions wrong. They are manufactured referees. But why am I not surprised? Because Mike Riley was just like that, and he is now the refereeing chief. It is as though he is cloning himself.'

- Neil says he likes some of the referees. Scott Mathieson is one, seemingly because he likes a bit of banter and gives it back to Neil when he's dishing it out. This happened at Elland Road where Leeds beat QPR, and Neil remembers being furious at the fact Leeds celebrating beating his top placed Hoops side.

- Three games later, the refs robbed him blind again at Carrow Road. Neil cut out something from the paper and highlighted quotes from Grant Holt, in which Holt claimed to have conned the ref into giving a penalty the week before. He made copies for the ref and the linesman. Neil had previously criticised Jon Moss as 'not fit enough' to referee professionally, and lo and behold, Moss sent off Matt Connolly for a foul on Holt. 'It wasn't a surprise when he sent him off, but it was when he was promoted to the Premier League list at the end of the season.'

- 'I once gave Neil Swarbrick a mark of 100 after a poor game in the championship and said I hope he gets into the Premier League.' Unfortunately Neil S remembered Neil W's remarks, and Neil implies this led to him sending off Joey Barton at Carrow Road when QPR went up.

- Rob Styles failed to send off Gabriel Heinze for taking out Luton Shelton at Old Trafford.

- Neil demands independent timekeepers to solve 'big-club syndrome'.

- 'I don't think referees understand how important the first goal is in a match.'

- Neil reminisces about the ghost goal at Bristol. When Neil and Sean Scannell went to Number 10 Downing Street, to an event promoting apprenticeships, PM Gordon Brown bantered with them about it. Neil claims Freddie Sears career was ruined by the goal being ruled out.

- One year at Bristol, the ref played too much injury time during which Bristol City equalised. Neil deliberately got himself fined - 'saying what I said cost me two grand in fines, but I din't care, I loved it and so did the players'.

- 'One ref I can't forgive is Styles, who gave several bad decisions against Sheffield United in the Premier League, costing us our place in the league and me my job. When I encountered him later at Palace, I refused to shake his hand. "Sorry Rob, I can't be a hypocrite.".'

- Neil discusses meeting Graham Poll at the Savoy, and they got on famously. But when Neil left Leeds, Poll wrote a scathing column about Neil's misdemeanours. Neil calls him a coward and tells Graham to 'say it to my face'.

- Neil says Rob Halsey 'lacks class'.

- 'The big issue that season was women officials, after Richard Keys and Andy Gray were fired by Sky.' Although Neil remembers a time he would have laughed at the idea of a woman official, he believes Keys and Gray made an 'error of judgment'.

- 'Indeed, I don't think it'll be long before we have a woman referee in the Premier League, and won't that make an impact abroad in countries that follow our football avidly, but don't give women full rights.'

- Neil claims to have been on holiday in the Seychelles, and ran the line at a Seychelles international vs Réunion. Neil ruled a controversial goal onside, and claims he had to flee the stadium with armed guards.

bgmnts

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 14, 2019, 08:47:48 PM
If you go flying in like that you can't complain if you get sent off.
Getting the ball is irrelevant - it's reckless and dangerous.

Hardly flying. His goot wasn't over the ball and it wasn't above the ankle. Just make it a non contact sport, it would make everything is much easier.

Beagle 2

Can somebody write all these WARNOCKOIDS down on cards so that I can start every day by picking one at random and reading them out to my family at the breakfast table?

kalowski

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 14, 2019, 09:36:18 PM
Can somebody write all these WARNOCKOIDS down on cards so that I can start every day by picking one at random and reading them out to my family at the breakfast table?
Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies reboot "not going well"

phantom_power

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2019, 09:25:40 PM
Hardly flying. His goot wasn't over the ball and it wasn't above the ankle. Just make it a non contact sport, it would make everything is much easier.

The player has apologised and the Wolves manager thinks it was the correct decision

Chollis

Is Levy going to dip his unfeasibly large balls into the transfer market now that Spurs are in a genuine INJURY CRISIS? They're still getting top 4 regardless so probably not ey.

Son usually deputises well in Kane's absence but he's off swanning about in the Orient so are they gonna have to play old man Llorente?

imitationleather

Quote from: Chollis on January 15, 2019, 11:04:14 AM
Is Levy going to dip his unfeasibly large balls into the transfer market now that Spurs are in a genuine INJURY CRISIS? They're still getting top 4 regardless so probably not ey.

Son usually deputises well in Kane's absence but he's off swanning about in the Orient so are they gonna have to play old man Llorente?

It's a shame Defoe has joined Rangers. He could have had a glorious third coming.

Vincent Janssen could be recalled from interrailing or teaching English in Asia or whatever it is we've got him doing.