Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Are there any premier league proven players who can slot right in to this Spurs team and hit the ground running yet also be alright to spend the rest of his time on the bench when Kane comes back?

Would be hard.

There's crazy talk linking us to Giuseppe Rossi, a striker who hasn't played a competitive game for two years. In the past we've brought in the likes of Rasiak and Saha as stop gaps. Anyone of that ilk?

Chollis

Adebayor still banging them in the Turkish league

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2019, 01:25:13 PM
Are there any premier league proven players who can slot right in to this Spurs team and hit the ground running yet also be alright to spend the rest of his time on the bench when Kane comes back?

Giroud? Sturridge?

Captain Z

Could have had Balotelli on a free if we'd been quicker.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on January 17, 2019, 01:39:47 PM
There's crazy talk linking us to Giuseppe Rossi, a striker who hasn't played a competitive game for two years. In the past we've brought in the likes of Rasiak and Saha as stop gaps. Anyone of that ilk?
In the pub after the game on Sunday, I did jokingly say to a mate that Spurs would sign Rossi as he would cost nowt. A Manchester Evening News hack may well have been listening.

Shame about Joe the Red's injuries, as he was a pretty handy striker when at his best.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on January 17, 2019, 01:25:13 PM

Would be hard.

Rumours of Origi.
Liverpool won't loan him though.

Ferris

Chollis

looks like he's still banging them in under contract with AC Milan

finnquark

Chapter 9 - Where's Flavio?

- We jump into the transfer window in January 2012. Neil wanted to sign Kyle Naughton on loan, and whilst Bernie Ecclestone gave permission, Flavio Briatore couldn't sign off on the deal because he was on safari in Africa. He was also after Rudolph Austin. 'I said to Gianni, you must try to get hold of Flavio.' Neil woke up in the morning to find out that Flavio had turned down the deal. 'I could have bloody screamed' as Kyle went to Leicester and Rudolph 'stayed in Norway'.

- Neil describes the byzantine way in which QPR worked, whereby he had to get the approval of Amit Bhatia, Flavio and Bernie in order to do any deals. Upon hearing that Naughton couldn't come, Neil 'was absolutely disconsolate. I had never felt like this'.

- 'I turned to Mick Jones and said "We sign Kyle Naughton and sign two strikers and we're certs to go up... We've just thrown it off because we can't get hold of someone on a bloody safari. It is doing my head in."'

- Neil recounts Ishan Saksena, another Loftus Road mandarin, going behind his back to try and sign Yakubu and Stefan Moore. 'All this did my head in.'

- After following the FA Cup exit at Blackburn with a draw at Burnley, QPR saw their lead at the top cut and Neil says he became even more desperate for a signing to boost morale. 'I was desperate for Wayne Routledge at Newcastle and was also waiting for Ishmael Miller.' At a board meeting, Neil made the extravagant claim that QPR had a 90% chance of going up if they 'could only sign these two lads, plus Pascal Chimbonda and Danny Shittu'. Intriguingly the board agree (as long as some deadwood is let go) because Flavio really liked Routledge.

- QPR signed Miller on loan from West Brom, with a clause inserted into the deal which meant West Brom could recall him after 28 days. Neil claims this was because Dan Ashworth needed the clause, because John Carew had gone to Stoke on loan. A google reveals Carew went to Stoke from Villa, so I'm not sure what is going on here.

- Leon Clarke and Mikele Leigertwood left to free up some cash, and Neil 'managed to get shot of Rowan Vine to Milton Keynes for a few weeks'. Chimbonda and Shittu were brought in - 'Danny is a gentle giant' who was bullied by Steve Morrison at the Den, which Neil did not like and so dropped him immediately.

- There follows a eulogy to Mick Jones, his loyal assistant who he'd asked to join him on a hunch. Neil and Mick didn't talk for a few years after Neil got sacked at Plymouth and Mick replaced him. 'While I went to Bury and Sheffield United, Mick went to Brunei and Telford.' People ask what Mick does - 'he is my sounding board, my second sigh, he knows what I like'.

- We move onto Kevin Blackwell - Blacky. Neil only found out Blacky was taking the Leeds job through the press, and though they made up after a brief cold war, 'it's fair to say the relationship has never been the same since'.

- 'Stuart McCall is a good family man.'

- 'I had Ronnie Jepson under me at one time, who has gone on to have a good career. Perhaps surprisingly, he has worked a lot with Stan Ternent, though I don't hold that against him.'

BlodwynPig

Ishmael Miller scored in his debut for Tranmere the other day. 2012 seems like a lifetime ago.

bgmnts

Aye just hearing names like Pascal Chimbonda and Danny Shittu gives me such nostalgia.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 18, 2019, 01:29:21 AM
Ishmael Miller scored in his debut for Tranmere the other day. 2012 seems like a lifetime ago.

Fucking hell.

BlodwynPig

JamesTC

Niasse on his move to Cardiff:
Quote from: NiasseHaving heard about the manager from other players and met him earlier today, I knew this was the right move for me.

monolith

Quote from: finnquark on January 17, 2019, 09:24:55 PM
Chapter 9 - Where's Flavio?

- We jump into the transfer window in January 2012. Neil wanted to sign Kyle Naughton on loan, and whilst Bernie Ecclestone gave permission, Flavio Briatore couldn't sign off on the deal because he was on safari in Africa. He was also after Rudolph Austin. 'I said to Gianni, you must try to get hold of Flavio.' Neil woke up in the morning to find out that Flavio had turned down the deal. 'I could have bloody screamed' as Kyle went to Leicester and Rudolph 'stayed in Norway'.

- Neil describes the byzantine way in which QPR worked, whereby he had to get the approval of Amit Bhatia, Flavio and Bernie in order to do any deals. Upon hearing that Naughton couldn't come, Neil 'was absolutely disconsolate. I had never felt like this'.

- 'I turned to Mick Jones and said "We sign Kyle Naughton and sign two strikers and we're certs to go up... We've just thrown it off because we can't get hold of someone on a bloody safari. It is doing my head in."'

- Neil recounts Ishan Saksena, another Loftus Road mandarin, going behind his back to try and sign Yakubu and Stefan Moore. 'All this did my head in.'

- After following the FA Cup exit at Blackburn with a draw at Burnley, QPR saw their lead at the top cut and Neil says he became even more desperate for a signing to boost morale. 'I was desperate for Wayne Routledge at Newcastle and was also waiting for Ishmael Miller.' At a board meeting, Neil made the extravagant claim that QPR had a 90% chance of going up if they 'could only sign these two lads, plus Pascal Chimbonda and Danny Shittu'. Intriguingly the board agree (as long as some deadwood is let go) because Flavio really liked Routledge.

- QPR signed Miller on loan from West Brom, with a clause inserted into the deal which meant West Brom could recall him after 28 days. Neil claims this was because Dan Ashworth needed the clause, because John Carew had gone to Stoke on loan. A google reveals Carew went to Stoke from Villa, so I'm not sure what is going on here.

- Leon Clarke and Mikele Leigertwood left to free up some cash, and Neil 'managed to get shot of Rowan Vine to Milton Keynes for a few weeks'. Chimbonda and Shittu were brought in - 'Danny is a gentle giant' who was bullied by Steve Morrison at the Den, which Neil did not like and so dropped him immediately.

- There follows a eulogy to Mick Jones, his loyal assistant who he'd asked to join him on a hunch. Neil and Mick didn't talk for a few years after Neil got sacked at Plymouth and Mick replaced him. 'While I went to Bury and Sheffield United, Mick went to Brunei and Telford.' People ask what Mick does - 'he is my sounding board, my second sigh, he knows what I like'.

- We move onto Kevin Blackwell - Blacky. Neil only found out Blacky was taking the Leeds job through the press, and though they made up after a brief cold war, 'it's fair to say the relationship has never been the same since'.

- 'Stuart McCall is a good family man.'

- 'I had Ronnie Jepson under me at one time, who has gone on to have a good career. Perhaps surprisingly, he has worked a lot with Stan Ternent, though I don't hold that against him.'
I might have to get this on audiobook.

DrGreggles

JarrowMonkey

Hartlepool United doing their very best to following York City down a division

bgmnts

Abysmal from Salah.

The idea of a the Palace players going nuts when they have Zaha is funny, though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on January 19, 2019, 03:19:32 PM
Hartlepool United doing their very best to following York City down a division

Dark times in the East South North East

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on January 19, 2019, 03:42:28 PM
Abysmal from Salah.

The idea of a the Palace players going nuts when they have Zaha is funny, though.

Hope Klopp calls him out on it again after the game like he did last season.

bgmnts

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 19, 2019, 04:11:10 PM
Hope Klopp calls him out on it again after the game like he did last season.

Fucking better.

Liverpool scored two whilst I was having a shite.

Norton Canes

Did you aim your shit at the sink and see it end up in the toilet?

Chollis

Palace seem a very decent side, should be higher in the table

DrGreggles

I'd have subbed him immediately.

Saw it happen once at a non-league match. Gave the rest of the game a good vibe.