Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:47:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sorry, but as all humans must do, I found the last sentence hilarious.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 08, 2019, 09:32:12 PM
Sorry, but as all humans must do, I found the last sentence hilarious.

That's the reason I included it. I was testing my Villa lines on friends, that one is always a winner. It was true in this case also.

Great game, I should not have turned it off. Idiot.

Mr. Internet

Huh?! What the fuck?!

Where did that come from?

Ferris

Quote from: Mr. Internet on February 08, 2019, 09:43:03 PM
Huh?! What the fuck?

Where did that come from?

No idea. I didn't see a single villa goal.

Mr. Internet

I didn't see one either.

All the same, I still stand by my point about the club. Thank fuck for Mings, Tammy and Green.

BlodwynPig

You fucking what? 3-3...Villa are the Newcastle of the 2nd division.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: ToneLa on February 08, 2019, 06:24:54 PM
The Anfield crowd are still the best (I am biased) but I've met an absolute ton of cunts at the game or going to it

One old dude shushed me and my mate and the randoms next to us for singing. Baffling. Another spent the game screaming HENDO YOU CUNT!! over and over. That was it, just... I dunno, why bother going?
Then the lad who came up to me in the pub before and asked if I had any coke cause I looked like I would. Wanted a selfie with me. Er... (I didn't have any cocaine, before anyone asks!)

And of course. Of course. The meffs who buy half-and-half scarves. I understand if it's a friendly from a different league or country but when we play bloody Chelsea?

Still had way, way, way more brilliant experiences there mind. Except that mad pen shootout with Middlesbrough in 2014.  When you witness Simon Mignolet take a penalty you know you've witnessed .... something you repeat when you talk about disappointing Anfield experiences.

I was working in New Zealand at that time and I was watching the Boro game on my laptop before I got picked up for my induction. We were absolutely shite that night and it was two minutes into stoppage time at the end of extra time when my lift turned up and I had to bolt, thinking we'd won 2-1. It was a fucking turgid game and I felt like turning it off a few times but I persevered, I was slagging us off all the way to work, when I got there all the English lads, after hearing my accent, were saying 'what a fucking game you stuffy bastards' etc. I genuinely felt like i'd come from another planet when I found out they'd equalised in the last second and we'd won 14-13 on penalties. That's why football is the greatest game in the world, it's mental.

Also, afternoon kick-offs were never great for atmosphere, even when we were winning everything. I started going as a kid with my dad in 87-88 and bar a few notable games (Utd, Arsenal, Forest was always good) the sense of entitlement was always there and the crowd was generally just expecting a routine win, which was usually delivered, so there was no special effort made. Unfortunately, the entitlement is still there but, til now, the results haven't been. I remember being home to Reading a few years ago (Sterling's first goal for us I think) and that was the worst atmosphere I've ever been at Anfield for, just absolutely fucking terrible, even 306 couldn't get anything going.

Still the best atmosphere in the Premier though, when it's good it's unbeatable.

garnish

Stoke (previously) and now Crystal Palace are officially the loudest fans in the Premier League, no? Which is the more remarkable when you consider they have that many fewer fans by the thousands compared to Anfield or Old Trafford.

Ferris

Worst fans? I'd suggest Fulham. Craven Cottage was a library when I was there. Villa end did all the singing, think the home fans managed one song in the 80th minute. Also I plain don't like Fulham.

DrGreggles

Quote from: garnish on February 08, 2019, 10:43:17 PM
Stoke (previously) and now Crystal Palace are officially the loudest fans in the Premier League, no? Which is the more remarkable when you consider they have that many fewer fans by the thousands compared to Anfield or Old Trafford.

I think there was a European game against Chelsea (possibly the first semi final in 2005) that broke some sort of record.
It was certainly very loud that night.

My Dad says that Inter Milan in 1965 and St Etienne in 1977 were both louder though. And he was at all three.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 08, 2019, 11:10:26 PMMy Dad says that Inter Milan in 1965 and St Etienne in 1977 were both louder though. And he was at all three.
Time-served United fans I know reckon our game vs Barca in the 83/84 Cup Winners Cup was the loudest Old Trafford got. Frank Stapleton reckons he could feel the ground physically shaking.

Though I would argue the most electric atmosphere I personally experienced was at Borough Park, Workington in the midweek first leg of some non-league semi-final in the late 90s. There were perhaps 1500 people there, compared to the usual 300/400, and the only goal of the game was met with a roar you'd have sworn was from a crowd ten times bigger. An amazing night - me and some mates had made a habit of going there a lot that season (my last before I left home) in lieu of anything better to do on a Saturday and were shocked by the queues to get in.

garnish

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 08, 2019, 10:52:15 PM
Worst fans? I'd suggest Fulham. Craven Cottage was a library when I was there. Villa end did all the singing, think the home fans managed one song in the 80th minute. Also I plain don't like Fulham.

Funnily enough this article reckons they're one of the loudest:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2018/08/29/feel-the-noise-wolves-fans-loudest-in-premier-league-so-far/

Ferris

Quote from: garnish on February 08, 2019, 11:44:34 PM
Funnily enough this article reckons they're one of the loudest:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2018/08/29/feel-the-noise-wolves-fans-loudest-in-premier-league-so-far/

I wonder how that is measured - their ground is pretty tiny so maybe that helps? It was laughable how quiet it was during my visit, but maybe I caught them on an "off" day.

Ferris

Lost Oliver

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 08, 2019, 05:39:55 PM
One international manager may be thinking "honestly, in this family you make a mistake and some never let you forget it..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQL4tl0U_5o&feature=youtu.be

Made me smile.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 09, 2019, 11:55:22 AM
Made me smile.
Credit to the production team for attention to detail: I enjoyed the closed down "Tika Bar" and the beer poster behind the barmaid.

imitationleather

Leeds equalise in the 110th minute.

I am sorry but that is funny.

imitationleather

Another offside Liverpool goal?

Bring on the VAR!

ToneLa

Quote from: imitationleather on February 09, 2019, 03:27:21 PM
Another offside Liverpool goal?

Bring on the VAR!

Looked onside to me Clive. I say, sitting in my Allison third kit.

Mind you I want VAR in the PL, but every time I say that I get overwhelmed by people who say it runs the game! Does fairly grind things to a halt.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on February 09, 2019, 02:59:13 PM
Leeds equalise in the 110th minute.

I am sorry but that is funny.

101st. It's all binary.

Kalvin Philips looking like his namesake Kevin.

Chollis

ToneLa

What a goal! I love my chips.

That's why I'm a fat bastard!

ToneLa

imitationleather

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 09, 2019, 03:34:15 PM
101st. It's all binary.

Kalvin Philips looking like his namesake Kevin.

The humour of the situation is somewhat tempered by the reason for the delay being one of the players being taken seriously ill.

Chollis

Glad to hear everyone's watching Liverpool on dodgy streams though. Truly the neutral's favourite.