Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:26:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 10, 2019, 06:27:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUx5EzoTYu8&feature=share?

23mins 50s in. This gives you a bit of the idea.

Ah, I remember some good times in The Turf pub. It helped that none of those dickheads were there.

MidnightShambler

As far as weird, colloquial greetings are concerned, 'captain' is a completely fucking shit one.

I went on a few nights out in Wrexham years ago, it's a complete shithole. All the pubs are full of fellas with big sideburns and the nightclub that was there, Liquid, was one of the roughest clubs I've ever been in in my life. Though  I spent a week in Chester with my ex last year and it cost me £1200 and I'm still bitter about it so they can fuck off too.

monolith

Playing with diarrhoea isn't for me. Prefer a good board game.

DrGreggles

I remember a bloke shitting himself during a Sunday league game a few years ago.
He'd got a ball blasted into his guts and doubled up to - we assumed - throw up.
Not a nice sight. Especially as he was wearing white* shorts.

*to start with

jobotic

Must have been late nineties when i got this horrible bus full of wankers up to Wrexham to see Gillingham spoon automatic promotion. We stayed in Chester and in the evening a load of Wrexham fans came to town to give it all that with Chester (who I think may have been promoted or something). I remember us walking through a massive ruck and being ignored by both sides and the police (no one give a toss about Gillingham). We found a nice pub and the landlady locked the doors to avoid any bother so we enjoyed a nice lock in too. Streets were deserted when we went back to the hotel.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bet Oldham players are excited to be told to "get stuck in there an that"

hummingofevil

Quote from: jobotic on February 11, 2019, 09:38:26 AM
Must have been late nineties when i got this horrible bus full of wankers up to Wrexham to see Gillingham spoon automatic promotion. We stayed in Chester and in the evening a load of Wrexham fans came to town to give it all that with Chester (who I think may have been promoted or something). I remember us walking through a massive ruck and being ignored by both sides and the police (no one give a toss about Gillingham). We found a nice pub and the landlady locked the doors to avoid any bother so we enjoyed a nice lock in too. Streets were deserted when we went back to the hotel.

1999-2000 season. Gillingham brought shit loads of fans. Found a link:

https://youtu.be/C0yFz0UsUz0

If that's depressing watching that the it's made me sad remembering when we had a 4-sided ground and we weren't in this hellhole of a non-league. Decent strike mind.

I think Chester got relegated to Conference on same day.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 11, 2019, 11:41:38 PM

If that's depressing watching that the it's made me sad remembering when we had a 4-sided ground and we weren't in this hellhole of a non-league. Decent strike mind.

Disappointing to see Peter Taylor failing to do his Norman Wisdom impression as he came down the steps of the coach. I feel sure it would have relaxed the players and the fans and led to a win.

ToneLa

Quote from: jobotic on February 11, 2019, 09:38:26 AM

Haha, reminds me of taking my dad out in Chester a few years ago. Tiny pub in a side street, starts getting noisy outside, lady behind the bar runs to the door and bolts it. Minute later there's singing and then banging.

'what's that?' my old man asked.

'Those bloody football wankers always come down ere'. Chester vs Wrexham that day. The unfriendly derby!

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: ToneLa on February 12, 2019, 12:11:02 AM
Haha, reminds me of taking my dad out in Chester a few years ago. Tiny pub in a side street

Was it this one? The sign was good for a pissed-up double-take the first time you saw it.

ToneLa

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 12, 2019, 01:32:13 AM
Was it this one? The sign was good for a pissed-up double-take the first time you saw it.

Nah, I still go there whenever I go to Chester, it's a good pub! Has Orwell's perfect pub description on one of the walls.

This one was much bleaker... Sort of a dead end? Might have been by a car park building. The Marlborough Arms is at least accessible, on a proper street!

hummingofevil

Quote from: ToneLa on February 12, 2019, 01:38:23 AM
Nah, I still go there whenever I go to Chester, it's a good pub! Has Orwell's perfect pub description on one of the walls.

This one was much bleaker... Sort of a dead end? Might have been by a car park building. The Marlborough Arms is at least accessible, on a proper street!

We talked at length on here about the Albion a few months back. Its small and by the car parks but surely you would remember that by name. I can see how football fans would end up that way either.

Edit: wasn't The Olde Cottage? Its a big building but fairly small inside and would get football fans coming from train station. Looks like it does good beer these days but also has on "Brexit Bitter". CaB meet Brexit thread meet? Ha ha

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: ToneLa on February 12, 2019, 01:38:23 AM
The Marlborough Arms is at least accessible, on a proper street!

Marlbororough. Call it by its proper name!

hummingofevil

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 12, 2019, 02:09:58 AM

Thousands of times I've passed that and never noticed. :)

ToneLa

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 12, 2019, 02:09:58 AM

You're not gonna like what it's called on Google Maps... :)

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 12, 2019, 02:06:36 AM
We talked at length on here about the Albion a few months back. Its small and by the car parks but surely you would remember that by name. I can see how football fans would end up that way either.

Edit: wasn't The Olde Cottage? Its a big building but fairly small inside and would get football fans coming from train station. Looks like it does good beer these days but also has on "Brexit Bitter". CaB meet Brexit thread meet? Ha ha

Not the Albion, that's sort of the other end of town. Could be Olde Cottage, rings a bell! I'll find it when I next go.

Brexit Bitter? Of course it's bitter! Brexit thread meet, Biggy conspiratorially claiming his pint has been spiked by the EU... and it's only tap water..!

BlodwynPig

EOLAN

No longer safe as Banks of England: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47196017

Not sure why; well partly due to my like of history in football but getting into the football in the 90s Gordon Banks was a player that always had a strong place in my heart. Barely saw any saves of his bar the 1970 Brazil match that stood out but I think my love of commanding goalkeepers and just the reverence he was held in made me believe he was this dominant player.

Also; I was terrible at drawing and art as a child. All I could do to reasonable efforts was a bowl of fruit and  Banks' save from Pele in that 1970 clash.

jobotic

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 11, 2019, 11:41:38 PM

Couldn't have got my story more wrong. Yes makes more sense that Wrexham came to laugh at Chester. In fairness I did start drinking at 7am that day like the Gills legend I was.

Head Gardener

The Culture Bunker

As a kid in the 80s, I'd always enthuse how great Peter Shilton was (even though he was well past his best by this point) and my Uncles would get a bit wistful and says "ah, but you never saw Banks play". Mad to think he only won that one League Cup in club football, but it was a different game back then and the best players didn't always automatically gravitate to the "big" clubs.

DrGreggles

Norton Canes

DrGreggles

hummingofevil

Quote from: jobotic on February 12, 2019, 10:02:13 AM
Couldn't have got my story more wrong. Yes makes more sense that Wrexham came to laugh at Chester. In fairness I did start drinking at 7am that day like the Gills legend I was.

I think most Wrexham fans remember half a dozen times when it felt like the ground was taken over. Bolton celebrating promotion (before my time), Cardiff in early 90s when they finished top in 4th division and Wrexham went up in 2nd and you guys. Thousands and thousands of Gills everywhere.

Maybe the small-cocked of our support got a bit uppity so decided to go kick off in Chester instead. Wankers.

That Cardiff lot were fucking mental though. It was peak "DO THE AYATOLLAH TIME" with Eddie May in charge. Nathan Blake still correctly hates Wrexham to this day for racist abuse he got and he was a brilliant player at that level and time. Anyway just remember a full two-tier stand of blue Cardiff's jumping up and down for 2 hours, their team thumping us and then them smashing place up. It was a total whirlwind.

It's all good now though because we are shit and they are not. That was the point of the Wales #TogetherStronger branding from 2016. Cardiff-Swansea, North vs South. Fans travelling 1000s miles to watch team get thumped repeatedly in Eastern Europe knowing they hated 75% of their fellow fans. It's all good now though because we all hate Giggs instead. :)

Bennett Brauer

Just remembered Wales v Romania in Cardiff - a distress rocket fired into the crowd kills a pensioner. Two brothers from Wrexham jailed for it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 12, 2019, 12:59:40 PM
Just remembered Wales v Romania in Cardiff - a distress rocket fired into the crowd kills a pensioner. Two brothers from Wrexham jailed for it.

At least they were more accurate than Paul Bodin that day...

thraxx

Thomas Tuchel needs to do the decent thing and rejoin Kraftwerk.