Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:14:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on February 13, 2019, 09:58:45 PM
madrid cunts

An astonishing stat.... 96% of Real Madrid goals have come in the last 3 minutes of regulation time or later when they have been losing or level up to that point.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on February 14, 2019, 12:25:16 AM
Banks' save might not be technically the best but it's virtually the definition of magical.

It's in the World Cup against arguably the greatest national team of all time with a cross from one of the best right wingers of all time and a header from one of the greatest players of all time. As a comparison, Seaman's save was made from a Paul Peschisolido header after a mishit from Carl Asaba. That's not to say Seaman's wasn't better from many other perspectives but Banks' has rightly entered legend for the save itself and circumstances behind it.

Besides your doomed attempt to apply magic, that's what my post already literally concedes. And I didn't mention David Seaman, someone else did.

Jockice

Seaman was born on the same day as Jarvis Cocker. Gordon Banks was Nick Banks from Pulp's uncle. So there we go.

Anyway, Seaman is from Rotherham, has had a moustache and a ponytail, forgot his son's birthday and made that save against the Blades, therefore is a total prick. I liked him versus Brazil that time though.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 14, 2019, 07:17:03 AM
Besides your doomed attempt to apply magic, that's what my post already literally concedes. And I didn't mention David Seaman, someone else did.

Suppose I shouldn't have bothered then.

My point with David Seaman was to provide context as to why some saves are bigger than others as Morrissey never said. The implication that Banks' save is a fairly common one does a disservice to it's legacy.

imitationleather

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Arsenal twitterWe've got it all to do at Emirates Stadium #UEL

Piece of piss, 90 minutes to score 2 goals at home to a 2nd division side. Hyperbolic shite from Arsenal and their fans.

Menu

Would it be fair to say that the vast majority of 'neutrals' would prefer Spurs to win the league out of the top 3? Anyone 'neutral' not want that?

ToneLa

Quote from: Menu on February 14, 2019, 09:30:02 PM
Would it be fair to say that the vast majority of 'neutrals' would prefer Spurs to win the league out of the top 3? Anyone 'neutral' not want that?

If you want anyone to win you're not neutral! Should be all "may the best team win"

Menu

Fair enough. I therefore want Spurs to be the best team.

Menu

MidnightShambler

This 'anyone but Liverpool' agenda (and let's face it that's what it is) that's come about lately is fucking bizarre, even as a Liverpool supporter. The idea that anybody with a functioning brain who isn't already a Citeh supporter would want an oil-rich lottery winner, built on the backs of some of the worst human rights abuses and subjugation in history, to win anything is amazing. That fucking bald fraud who wears a yellow ribbon doesn't say much about the death toll that contributes to the building of his team does he?
The media is full of United, Chelsea and Tottenham fans, always has been. They're doing their best to put the pressure on but it won't work, I'm made up our game in hand is at Old Trafford.

And you can't want Tottenham to come out on top in a title race because they aren't in one.

Menu

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 14, 2019, 10:42:12 PM
This 'anyone but Liverpool' agenda (and let's face it that's what it is) that's come about lately is fucking bizarre, even as a Liverpool supporter. The idea that anybody with a functioning brain who isn't already a Citeh supporter would want an oil-rich lottery winner, built on the backs of some of the worst human rights abuses and subjugation in history, to win anything is amazing. That fucking bald fraud who wears a yellow ribbon doesn't say much about the death toll that contributes to the building of his team does he?
The media is full of United, Chelsea and Tottenham fans, always has been. They're doing their best to put the pressure on but it won't work, I'm made up our game in hand is at Old Trafford.

And you can't want Tottenham to come out on top in a title race because they aren't in one.

Maybe it's not admirable but I would find it fucking hilarious if Liverpool messed it up from here. I agree about the media though. Hardly ever see a pundit with a Liverpool background do you? Weird that.

dr beat

Well, being a Red, I'm bloody loving it everyone still absolutely fucking hates us. Long may it continue.

Bronzy

Quote from: Menu on February 14, 2019, 10:46:21 PM
Maybe it's not admirable but I would find it fucking hilarious if Liverpool messed it up from here. I agree about the media though. Hardly ever see a pundit with a Liverpool background do you? Weird that.

thraxx

Quote from: Menu on February 14, 2019, 10:46:21 PM

I too would laugh my tits off if Liverpool dicked it up.

As for fans in the media, Liverpool have tons of pundits and presenters who support them, at least as many as United.  After that MASSIVE drop off.

Menu

Quote from: thraxx on February 14, 2019, 10:59:20 PM
I too would laugh my tits off if Liverpool dicked it up.

As for fans in the media, Liverpool have tons of pundits and presenters who support them, at least as many as United.  After that MASSIVE drop off.
I was being sarcastic. The original statement was laughable.

imitationleather

Without wishing to offend anyone on here, fans of other clubs don't want Liverpool to win because their fans are completely fucking mental.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Menu on February 14, 2019, 11:01:26 PM
I was being sarcastic. The original statement was laughable.

Bollocks it is. Don't confuse punditry with actual influence. Pundits only discuss the narratives and agendas set by the producers and journalists, most of which has a strong Manchester/London bias. Always has had. And you're fucking deluded if you think otherwise.

MidnightShambler

And by the way, if you think Carragher, Murphy, Owen, Mcmanaman and Lawrenson are overtly pro-Liverpool then you need to actually listen to what they say instead of zoning out as soon as they start talking. They absolutely go out of their way to downplay us, so much so that all of them are actively despised for their opinions over the last couple of years among our fanbase. Only Souness is clearly up our arse but he's got a lot of making up to do.

Menu

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 14, 2019, 11:27:30 PM
And by the way, if you think Carragher, Murphy, Owen, Mcmanaman and Lawrenson are overtly pro-Liverpool then you need to actually listen to what they say instead of zoning out as soon as they start talking.

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME

jobotic

Got no problem with Liverpool but I'd like Spurs to do it just as its been assumed that they won't.

Anyone but City though, and I'd say that if they were fighting it out with Chelsea and United.

phantom_power

I haven't noticed any anti-Liverpool sentiment in the media. They all love Klopp and his wacky ways and seem fairly positive about Liverpool in general.

MidnightShambler

Looks like Cunt Ramos is going to get an extra ban for admitting getting booked on purpose the other night. I wish he'd just fuck off to the MLS or China or somewhere and live out the rest of his playing days in obscurity. He's such an unrepentant, dirty, cheating bastard.

Menu

Quote from: phantom_power on February 14, 2019, 11:49:08 PM
I haven't noticed any anti-Liverpool sentiment in the media. They all love Klopp and his wacky ways and seem fairly positive about Liverpool in general.

There's no anti-anyone sentiment. The Top 6 clubs get more attention and drooling adulation - and, of those clubs, Liverpool and United are usually most drooled upon - but there's no bias or anything.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on February 14, 2019, 11:49:08 PM

I think any team doing well get an easy ride in the media, just as any team who have had a bad run are "in crisis" - never a middle ground.
Probably best to ignore them and come to your own conclusions.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Menu on February 14, 2019, 09:30:02 PM

Man U will win it

EOLAN

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 14, 2019, 11:58:55 PM
Looks like Cunt Ramos is going to get an extra ban for admitting getting booked on purpose the other night. I wish he'd just fuck off to the MLS or China or somewhere and live out the rest of his playing days in obscurity. He's such an unrepentant, dirty, cheating bastard.

I remember Beckham getting suspiciously sent off in the final minutes of an LA Galaxy match. Kicking a ball at ref and then acting all indignant to get sent off. Turned up at Wimbledon men's final the next week during weekend he was suspended.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Menu on February 14, 2019, 11:59:50 PM
There's no anti-anyone sentiment. The Top 6 clubs get more attention and drooling adulation - and, of those clubs, Liverpool and United are usually most drooled upon - but there's no bias or anything.

I guess it depends how the wind is blowing. When Man U dominated it was them, then Arsenal/Chelsea and now Man C with a dusting of Spurs/Liverpool when they are in attacking mode. I fully expect that when Tranmere take their rightful place at the top table, we will get more than just a cursory

QuoteMatch report supplied by Press Association.

from the BBC.

Golden E. Pump

As a neutral, I'd like to see Spurs win it. I don't actually mind Liverpool either. Or Arsenal. Not a fan of City or United, so no thank you. But I'd actively support a team of Fundamentalist Jihadi Terrorist Nazi Dinosaur Sharks over Chelsea.

Menu

Same here. Spurs have at least gone about things in a way you can admire. Building slowly but surely. Man City and Chelsea are moral vacuums. Arsenal are laughable, United are going to be insufferable again very soon. And Liverpool are, well, just as lovable as they ever have been.

But, to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give a flying fuck who wins the cunt. I'm all about the battle for 7th. That's where the real excitement lies.