Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

The Culture Bunker

I think City fans I work with were a bit pissed off when they won the league in 2014 and United fans were, generally, just grateful it wasn't Liverpool. Same again this year, but obviously I'd prefer Spuds to win it, as unlikely as it is.

BlodwynPig

Bronzy

monolith

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 15, 2019, 05:05:07 PM
I think City fans I work with were a bit pissed off when they won the league in 2014
Yeah, they must have been gutted.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: monolith on February 15, 2019, 10:51:12 PM
Yeah, they must have been gutted.
2012, yeah, we copped for it big time due to the nature of how the cards fell down on the last day. Fair fucks. But 2014, never as good as the first time, especially when the other mob you've defined yourself against for so long turn out to be glad it just wasn't their actual rivals. That's always been the problem City have had - United would always prefer to beat Liverpool over City. Has been so since the 70s, at least.

And it seems they're already bored of success, judging by the number of spare League Cup final tickets flying around the place.

monolith

Must be some strange City fans where you work, all of the ones I know in Manchester seem to think it's the greatest time ever to be a City fan.

And whilst I'll concede that every United fan I know would rather City win the league than Liverpool, I don't know a single United fan who is "just grateful" it isn't Liverpool. Lesser of two evils, perhaps, but you're still absolutely gutted about City's success, from what I've seen (as a neutral).

And with regards to 2014 not being as good as 2012, of course not. As sporting moments go, it was as close to perfection as you will ever get, and there won't ever be an end to a season like it ever again, if you consider not just the moment on the pitch but the history around it etc. City fans are ridiculously lucky to have that moment as it won't ever be topped.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: monolith on February 15, 2019, 11:55:10 PM
Must be some strange City fans where you work, all of the ones I know in Manchester seem to think it's the greatest time ever to be a City fan.

And whilst I'll concede that every United fan I know would rather City win the league than Liverpool, I don't know a single United fan who is "just grateful" it isn't Liverpool. Lesser of two evils, perhaps, but you're still absolutely gutted about City's success, from what I've seen (as a neutral).

And with regards to 2014 not being as good as 2012, of course not. As sporting moments go, it was as close to perfection as you will ever get, and there won't ever be an end to a season like it ever again, if you consider not just the moment on the pitch but the history around it etc. City fans are ridiculously lucky to have that moment as it won't ever be topped.

Much as it pains me to bring it up, it had already been topped 23 years previously, when Michael Thomas dropped us with the last kick of the game. In the Sky era, obviously the City one was the most exciting. But in terms of significance and disbelief, nothing beats the 0-2. Liverpool going for the double, season finishing after the cup final because of Hillsborough, 1st and 2nd going head to head, Arsenal needing to win by two clear goals, Liverpool's absolute domination, first live televised game on a Friday night.....it was the perfect storm. And I still can't fucking believe it happened, it hasn't given me any pleasure to write this post!!

The Culture Bunker

Eh, give me Jimmy Glass over any of that anytime.

Though in all seriousness, I'd put Michael Thomas over Aguero in the drama stakes. I remember watching in disbelief - Liverpool just didn't lose 2-0 at home. I remember the next issue of "Shoot!" with Liverpool players insisting that Alan Smith didn't touch the ball for the first goal (it was from an indirect free kick).

I'd still take Teddy and Ole in 1999 for real drama stakes, though!

MidnightShambler

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 16, 2019, 12:31:45 AM
Eh, give me Jimmy Glass over any of that anytime.

Though in all seriousness, I'd put Michael Thomas over Aguero in the drama stakes. I remember watching in disbelief - Liverpool just didn't lose 2-0 at home. I remember the next issue of "Shoot!" with Liverpool players insisting that Alan Smith didn't touch the ball for the first goal (it was from an indirect free kick).

I'd still take Teddy and Ole in 1999 for real drama stakes, though!

I can still remember all that too, as much as I don't want to! I was 8yrs old at the time and I was absolutely fucking heartbroken. I can still see Steve McMahon holding his finger up to everybody to signify 1 minute then Johnny Barnes losing it when he should have jockeyed it out. Then boom! Nightmare. I think it's fair to say the whole country was in a state of shock, even non football fans were surprised. That's just didn't happen. It was a weird case of stick or twist, the dynamic of that game had never been seen before and nobody knew what to do, how to play it. Then what happened, happened. And we went and signed the bastard!!

I'll give you 1999 was exciting though, if you're of that persuasion :)

The Culture Bunker

Yep - City have shown they struggle against the minnows this year.

jobotic

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 16, 2019, 01:12:05 AM
I can still remember all that too, as much as I don't want to! I was 8yrs old at the time and I was absolutely fucking heartbroken. I can still see Steve McMahon holding his finger up to everybody to signify 1 minute then Johnny Barnes losing it when he should have jockeyed it out. Then boom! Nightmare. I think it's fair to say the whole country was in a state of shock, even non football fans were surprised. That's just didn't happen. It was a weird case of stick or twist, the dynamic of that game had never been seen before and nobody knew what to do, how to play it. Then what happened, happened. And we went and signed the bastard!!

I was 16. Didn't give a shit about football but ended up round an Arsenal supporting mate's house (still mates, he's still crazily into Arsenal). Even I was excited and seeing him freak out made me feel a bit jealous. Wasn't until 5 years later that i went to a football match though - not Arsenal who I'm indifferent about, Gillingham.

monolith

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 16, 2019, 12:20:58 AM
Much as it pains me to bring it up, it had already been topped 23 years previously, when Michael Thomas dropped us with the last kick of the game. In the Sky era, obviously the City one was the most exciting. But in terms of significance and disbelief, nothing beats the 0-2. Liverpool going for the double, season finishing after the cup final because of Hillsborough, 1st and 2nd going head to head, Arsenal needing to win by two clear goals, Liverpool's absolute domination, first live televised game on a Friday night.....it was the perfect storm. And I still can't fucking believe it happened, it hasn't given me any pleasure to write this post!!
Not much to choose between the two for me, two goals in injury time where it was all or nothing was miraculous, back from the dead stuff. Arsenal just needed the one goal in injury time and whilst it was still incredible, I think two in injury time with such high stakes is probably unique (although would love to know of another match where that has happened!). United's 2 goals in injury time was amazing in 1999 but if they'd only got the one they would still have had extra time whereas City had to win.

Either way, I think we've been spoilt to have two season ending moments like that within 25 years of each other, can't see it happening again any time soon.

kalowski

Christ, the Agüerooooooo finish is the greatest moment in football history. They fucking equalised at 92 minutes. Balotelli made one "assist" all season which was for Agüero's goal. United thought they'd won. A glorious end.

finnquark

If we're doing best finishes to games: Conference North Playoff Final, 2014. Top scorer Reeves goes off in the 121st minute with the scores locked at 1-1 with Guiseley. Greg Wilkinson comes on to take a penalty in the shootout. 20 seconds later he scores with his only touch of the game and we win 2-1 in front of something mad like 4,500 people. Happy happy days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtXKG7ucO1Y#t=15m35

kalowski

Quote from: finnquark on February 16, 2019, 10:17:44 AM
If we're doing best finishes to games: Conference North Playoff Final, 2014. Top scorer Reeves goes off in the 121st minute with the scores locked at 1-1 with Guiseley. Greg Wilkinson comes on to take a penalty in the shootout. 20 seconds later he scores with his only touch of the game and we win 2-1 in front of something mad like 4,500 people. Happy happy days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtXKG7ucO1Y#t=15m35
Ah yes, I remember it well. Can see my house on the video.

ToneLa

Quote from: kalowski on February 16, 2019, 09:48:15 AM
Christ, the Agüerooooooo finish is the greatest moment in football history. They fucking equalised at 92 minutes. Balotelli made one "assist" all season which was for Agüero's goal. United thought they'd won. A glorious end.

Didnae mind City winning it back then. (These days a lot of their fans online seem to be coming out with the same shite about us as United - "Klanfield" etc)

Today though Come On Newport. Goes without saying (he says, saying it)

Ferris

Checking the scores - do my eyes deceive me? Ashley Cole bagging one for Derby?!

Surely not! He must be about 55 and toiling away in the Chinese superleague.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 16, 2019, 07:49:02 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47266942

Good on Altrincham - hope to see this in the league before long

errr....I think quite a few clubs were doing some sort of awareness thing today, but only Alty wore that strip and crowed about it

QuoteThe National League North side - who normally play in red and white stripes - say they are the first club to wear a shirt inspired by the flag's colours.

Guadalajara

Bochum

Rayo Vallecano

EOLAN

For dramatic finishes. I go for the Leicester against Watford play-off semi final. 2-2 on aggregate in six minutes of injury time. Leicester win a penalty that is saved. Straight back to taker who kicks it again at keeper. Ball cleared up field. Watford break and score.
Fact it was a semi rather than the final may slightly take from it.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Monaco with "another" win. Why can't these big clubs just stay down when they are down.

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: MidnightShambler on February 16, 2019, 01:12:05 AM

I'll give you 1999 was exciting though, if you're of that persuasion :)

About that time I changed from being a Liverpool fan to supporting my home town club, Hartlepool

Watched that match at a friends the night before we both went away to work at Butlins Minehead with my mate and my biggest memory is I had a really bad case of the johnny Giles that night

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"I understand English football more today" - Pep Guardiola. That's Wales mate. #cancelled

finnquark

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 16, 2019, 07:52:17 PM
errr....I think quite a few clubs were doing some sort of awareness thing today, but only Alty wore that strip and crowed about it

That's the point.