Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Chatham Town v Gillingham on Tuesday. 1-1. Last year it was 12-0 to the Gills.

"Lovell Out!" I was ready to spew from the terrace until I was informed that we were simultaneously beating Eastleigh 4-0.

im barry bethel

Quote from: jobotic on July 26, 2018, 09:22:54 AM
Chatham Town v Gillingham on Tuesday.

Like a Sports Direct catalogue come to life

Trojan_Jockey

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2018, 02:23:20 AM
Alright, I'm saying it, Alty automatic promotion.... ;)

Are Alty spending big money or something? Salford and Harrogate have gone, thank God, but it's hard to compete with the likes of York, Brackley, even Nuneton and Spennymoor. Lots of silly teams with sugar daddies. As for Darlo, we will be very happy with the play-offs this year.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Trojan_Jockey on July 26, 2018, 05:41:19 PM
Are Alty spending big money or something? Salford and Harrogate have gone, thank God, but it's hard to compete with the likes of York, Brackley, even Nuneton and Spennymoor. Lots of silly teams with sugar daddies. As for Darlo, we will be very happy with the play-offs this year.

Big club syndrome.

jobotic

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 26, 2018, 04:50:11 PM
Like a Sports Direct catalogue come to life

Not with us hipsters drinking real ale at the bar it wasn't.

holyzombiejesus

This season I just want 7 things. A boring, safe season with a mid table finish and 6 points from the wretched Tranmere Rovers.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 26, 2018, 09:49:35 PM
This season I just want 7 things. A boring, safe season with a mid table finish and 6 points from the wretched Tranmere Rovers.

5 years ago, you offered to host me for the Vale home game.

finnquark

Quote from: Trojan_Jockey on July 26, 2018, 05:41:19 PM

No, we'll do well to finish top ten. The manager is a good egg and the club is making some steps to increase investment/sponsorship, but it won't be enough to get promoted. The manager will then demand we go full time next year, which we won't do, and he will leave for a job in the conference national. Top ten conf north is (sadly) probably our level now.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2018, 11:00:24 PM
5 years ago, you offered to host me for the Vale home game.

That was before you [redacted].

I don't think Vale will be in the relegation zone this season. We've signed ex non-league goal/ drinking machine Ricky Miller and a defender from TNS.

As an aside, if anyone enjoyed that World Cup competition shambles that I 'ran', the official football season one is out now. It's a tenner to enter but all the entry fees are given back out as prizes. I really enjoy playing it and if anyone else wants to take a look, I can either pass on the organiser's details via PM or send you the entry form if you give me your email address.

Mobius

Just watching the Arsenal Vs PSG friendly from some overseas corporate sponsored friendly tournament and instead of the coin toss at the beginning they tossed a credit card...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mobius on July 28, 2018, 12:39:17 PM
Just watching the Arsenal Vs PSG friendly from some overseas corporate sponsored friendly tournament and instead of the coin toss at the beginning they tossed a credit card...

That's it. No more top level football.

and Buffon shipped 3 goals in a 5-1 defeat.

finnquark

The Channel 4 documentary on West Brom last night was amazing, some great stuff with Pulis and some of the players as the season went on. The interview with the 3 players after a Pards training session was revealing, incredible the club sanctioned it in a way.

imitationleather

Quote from: finnquark on July 30, 2018, 11:54:52 AM
The Channel 4 documentary on West Brom last night was amazing, some great stuff with Pulis and some of the players as the season went on. The interview with the 3 players after a Pards training session was revealing, incredible the club sanctioned it in a way.

Wasn't aware this was on. Shall have to check it out, Clive.

In the "clubs falling apart" genre of documentaries, how did it stack against Premier Passions (Sunderland) and The Four Year Plan (QPR)? Two must-watches right there, Andy.

finnquark

Not really the same thing as those, although the stuff with the players gave an interesting idea about the stresses.

PowerButchi

This season promises to be the worst in history unless Wrexham reclaim their rightful place at the (in the) Football League table. Anything else is a washout and will disappoint everyone other than the six fingered fans of Jester FC.

buttgammon

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 01, 2018, 06:00:02 AM
This season promises to be the worst in history unless Wrexham reclaim their rightful place at the (in the) Football League table. Anything else is a washout and will disappoint everyone other than the six fingered fans of Jester FC.

It's been ten years already.

DESOLATION!

PowerButchi

Hopefully the Danny Ward windfall is put to good use.

Chollis

BlodwynPig

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 01, 2018, 06:00:02 AM

Soaring higher and higher before you even get off the ground.

holyzombiejesus

Wrexham have signed Port Vale's injury prone, third choice goalkeeper. Desolation.

buttgammon

Since when was Jussi Jaaskelainen the goalkeeping coach at Wrexham? Just heard about this for the first time.

Apologies for turning this into the Wrexham thread.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buttgammon on August 01, 2018, 05:11:02 PM
Since when was Jussi Jaaskelainen the goalkeeping coach at Wrexham? Just heard about this for the first time.

Apologies for turning this into the Wrexham thread.

Even the Wrexham forum doesn't talk much about Wrexham, so may as well give them a bit of limelight.

buttgammon

Fair point! A few threads have been derailed by general Wrexham chat before, but I don't remember it happening in a football thread.

BlodwynPig

I knew a lad who said he'd fuck off supporting Liverpool because they were shit and the prices were too high (he rarely travelled to Anfield from his Midlands home). I said he could follow Wrexham instead as they were a lower league club and quite close to his beloved reds. Because he had no sense of direction he ended up at Wroxham FC in Norfolk and has been a fan ever since. I found out by asking him if he had seen the team play - "oh yeah, dirt cheap, small ground, good pies...but that Welsh accent is hard to understand".

Lost Oliver

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 01, 2018, 07:27:57 PM
I knew a lad who said he'd fuck off supporting Liverpool because they were shit and the prices were too high (he rarely travelled to Anfield from his Midlands home). I said he could follow Wrexham instead as they were a lower league club and quite close to his beloved reds. Because he had no sense of direction he ended up at Wroxham FC in Norfolk and has been a fan ever since. I found out by asking him if he had seen the team play - "oh yeah, dirt cheap, small ground, good pies...but that Welsh accent is hard to understand".

This is too good to be true.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: buttgammon on August 01, 2018, 07:23:05 PM
Fair point! A few threads have been derailed by general Wrexham chat before, but I don't remember it happening in a football thread.

Happens all the time.

Does Arfon Griffiths still run that newsagent?

PowerButchi

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 01, 2018, 06:26:46 PM
Even the Wrexham forum doesn't talk much about Wrexham, so may as well give them a bit of limelight.

I'll have you know the RedPassion forum is full of naysaying and verbally hanging oneself from our fucking massive floodlights.

PowerButchi

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 01, 2018, 11:36:52 PM
Happens all the time.

Does Arfon Griffiths still run that newsagent?

I dunno but Dai Davies has a holistic therapy place in Llangollen, Steve Watkin is an accountant who doesn't like talking about football these days (and a top, top guy), and Jester are a joke of a club.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: PowerButchi on August 02, 2018, 02:49:53 AM
I dunno but Dai Davies has a holistic therapy place in Llangollen, Steve Watkin is an accountant who doesn't like talking about football these days (and a top, top guy), and Jester are a joke of a club.

I saw Joey Jones in the Four Dogs and walking his dog on Prices Lane. That's going back a bit, mind.

Came close to opening a Bureau de Change with Mickey Thomas.

buttgammon

I live in Dublin and Shamrock Rovers are my local team, and when I say I'm from Wrexham, people seem to know an unusual amount about our team. Bizarrely, Rovers don't like Wrexham (the football club anyway, I can't comment on the town) because there is a connection with the fans of their rivals Bohemians. Wrexham and Shamrock Rovers must be one of the few examples I can think of of a rivalry between teams that have probably never played each other.