Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Started by Thomas, July 22, 2018, 02:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Not bothered about this, but I'm posting the trailer because I cannot believe the degree of orange-and-tealness. Look at it.

Trailer.

Dex Sawash

bgmnts

There is an animated Godzilla film on Netflix that looks miles better than that sheiße.

Avril Lavigne

I thought the reboot was really bland and not much fun, but this trailer has got me pretty hyped just to see big-budget realistic versions of Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah.

Butchers Blind

It's not great looking from the trailer but it's not Aquaman trailer bad.

mothman

^I watched both trailers last night. Fuck me, what is cinema coming to?

Spiteface

I'm still sad Shin Godzilla's not getting a sequel. Best use of Atomic Breath ever, even over and above the 2014 film this is a sequel to.

Anyway, the way the other monsters are being introduced has shades of GMK: Giant Monsters All-out Attack, although I'm assuming Godzilla isn't the spirits of dead Japanese soldiers from WW2.

Anyway, fuck you all, I'm still excited for this.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on July 22, 2018, 02:29:35 PM
Not bothered about this, but I'm posting the trailer because I cannot believe the degree of orange-and-tealness. Look at it.

Trailer.

When will they realise teal and orange looks shit and stop doing it?!

Once Hollywood rediscovers the other colours nobody is going to want to watch movies from this era ever again.  They'll have to colour them all in just like they were doing with It's a Wonderful Life and Laurel and Hardy.

DocDaneeka

What other complimentary colours do you lot want? Mauve and Lime Green? Because that's what will happen!

Actually I would like that, although they'd still do all that desaturation which is the main evil.

Replies From View

How about just bring back ALL OTHER COLOURS AND STOP FUSSING OVER WHETHER THEY 'POP' AGAINST EACH OTHER OR NOT.

JESUS FUCK.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: Replies From View on July 23, 2018, 04:10:02 PM
How about just bring back ALL OTHER COLOURS AND STOP FUSSING OVER WHETHER THEY 'POP' AGAINST EACH OTHER OR NOT.

JESUS FUCK.

Purple and Yellow then? Man after my own heart.

mothman

New RfV-friendly Godzilla design unveiled.

Replies From View

I don't like the houses being orange.

mothman

Your name is in orange. The bird feeder in your avatar is orange. Double standards or what?

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on July 24, 2018, 07:49:52 PM
Your name is in orange. The bird feeder in your avatar is orange. Double standards or what?

The bird feeder is green, Blindo.

Kelvin

I think almost every major Comic-Con trailer was in teal and orange this year. Godzilla, Doctor Who, Aquaman, Glass, Fantastic Beasts.

I think Shazam's the only exception I've seen.

Thomas

I went on YouTube some time ago and searched 'orange teal colour grading', to see if any nerdo talking heads were going off on righteous rants about this bland and lifeless modern style, but all it turned up were sleek instructional videos for budding young filmmakers, advising them on how to grade their own films to look cinematic and teal-orange. It might persist for another generation yet.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thomas on July 25, 2018, 12:31:45 PM
I went on YouTube some time ago and searched 'orange teal colour grading', to see if any nerdo talking heads were going off on righteous rants about this bland and lifeless modern style, but all it turned up were sleek instructional videos for budding young filmmakers, advising them on how to grade their own films to look cinematic and teal-orange.

This is still the case.  Hardly anyone screaming out for it to stop.

The world is not for us anymore, Thomas.  Even though you are now only 13 years old the world is no longer for you.

greenman

This looks very Emmerichian and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

gotmilk

I think the orange and teal works really well for this trailer, as it did for Mad Max: Fury Road and parts of Blade Runner 2049. It's definitely an overused aesthetic, particularly on posters where it's often used to add the feeling of cohesion to a cheap and ugly design, but it can definitely work well within the right context. The emphasis here definitely seems to be on teal rather than orange, to the point where is actually reminds me of the excellent blue rose scene from the new Twin Peaks.

I actually think the trailer is excellent all round, particularly in its emphasis on awe rather than action. So many films just use special effects as the backdrop to sub-par chase and fight sequences, but it seems this film will provide moments where the story slows down and the audience can properly appreciate the beauty and terror the effects create. The use of Debussy is definitely a big part of why the trailer worked for me, but hopefully the film will be able to sustain a similar mood throughout.

greenman

The problem I'd say though is that there's a big difference between sustaining awe for a few shots in a trailer and an entire film, the stuff between that looks pretty bog standard disaster blockbuster.

popcorn

Looks boring mate, turned it off.

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2018, 12:41:16 PM
This is still the case.  Hardly anyone screaming out for it to stop.

The world is not for us anymore, Thomas.  Even though you are now only 13 years old the world is no longer for you.

The backlash will come soon enough. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were the death knell for dark comic book movies, even though the darkness was the least of their problems.

All it will take is a big budget movie from some precious franchise with a toxic fanbase to fail at the box office and that'll be the end of orange and teal.

gotmilk

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 25, 2018, 05:31:54 PM
The backlash will come soon enough. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were the death knell for dark comic book movies, even though the darkness was the least of their problems.

All it will take is a big budget movie from some precious franchise with a toxic fanbase to fail at the box office and that'll be the end of orange and teal.

Not sure about that - look at Logan.

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on July 25, 2018, 06:55:51 PM
The bird feed is orange. Keep up.

The bird feed is the colour of standard peanut skins, ie not orange.  The orange of teal and orange is a glowing, middle-of-the-day-at-the-height-of-summer kind of orange.  Even being generous the skin of the peanuts is merely a muddy pink colour.  And they aren't sitting in front of a teal background either.

sirhenry

Quote from: Thomas on July 22, 2018, 02:29:35 PM
The phrase you're looking for is 'Tawny and Teal©-ness'.

eta: It was this place that first alerted me to the horrors of Tawny and Teal©, ten years ago, and it has ruined many a film1 for me ever since. So thanks for that.

1 Except for Fury Road, that was a stunning overdose of Tawny and Teal© with less than 3 minutes of the entire film in any other colour - a masterwork!

surreal

New Trailer Bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnKuFtdc7A

This continues to just look spectacular - really looking forward to this now.

Spiteface

Yeah, can't wait for this.

King Ghidorah has always been a favourite Kaiju of mine, so glad to see him in this, and I do like the designs of him, Rodan and Mothra, from what we've seen so far.

Between this and Tsuburaya looking to reboot Ultraman for overseas markets, it's an interesting time to be into the kaiju stuff.