Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How is Billy Connolly doing?

Started by TheMonk, July 22, 2018, 02:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

He seems to have gone quiet. How's he coping with his ailments?
Is he still doing shows?
Crossed my mind today and thought who better to ask than you lot.

Brundle-Fly

I know the Big Yin was in The Humblebums but wouldn't this enquiry be better handled in Comedy Chat?

MattD

He's doing fine, making a documentary for BBC in and around Glasgow. Saw pictures of him in the second hand record store I go to a few weeks ago.

TheMonk

Oh yes. Meant for Comedy Chat. Sorry.
Good to hear he's still out and about.

TheMonk

This makes me sad. He was the best.
I always thought he'd end up still sharp into old age, getting grumpier and angrier on stage.
(Unless he was taking the piss out of Parkinson and the senile old git missed the joke.)

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1005134/Billy-Connolly-Michael-Parkinson-2018-health-James-Martin-latest-news-update

TheMonk

Oh shit, I forgot this was in the wrong forum. Sorry. Sorry.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TheMonk on August 20, 2018, 12:38:15 PM
This makes me sad. He was the best.
I always thought he'd end up still sharp into old age, getting grumpier and angrier on stage.
(Unless he was taking the piss out of Parkinson and the senile old git missed the joke.)

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1005134/Billy-Connolly-Michael-Parkinson-2018-health-James-Martin-latest-news-update

He could have least given him a pen.

machotrouts

Every news outlet reporting on this is conspicuously avoiding saying "Parkinson's isn't dementia, by the way" to make it look like a Sad Last Days piece. I suppose they wouldn't get as many clicks for "BILLY CONNOLLY HAS AWKWARD DINNER WITH MICHAEL PARKINSON: PARKY NOW BEING A BIT OF A WEIRD PRICK ABOUT IT".

Maybe Parkinson's – the disease not the person – has just slowed Connolly down enough that he doesn't display obvious physical signs of recognition, like delicately strumming on a banjo or whatever it is that two old friends do when they meet? Maybe Parkinson – the person not the disease – has the wrong end of the stick here. Maybe he's confused. Maybe he's got dementia?

MICHAEL PARKINSON HAS DEMENTIA: SAD LAST DAYS

Large Noise

Dementia can be caused by Parkinson's. Parkinson's isn't Alzheimer's, but Alzheimer's isn't the only potential cause of dementia.

So aye, Parky's probably telling the truth here.

jobotic

There's some incredibly moving comments from others in that article regarding the sad situation.

Bloody love Parky! He's a legend!

Funcrusher

Parkinson's often does also cause dementia, they are linked.

Small Man Big Horse

He's doing a sort of docu-series for BBC Scotland - https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2018/08/21/40988/billy_connolly_to_make_a_bbc_series_about_scotland

In that article a couple of people refute Parkinson's claims:

QuoteBut the comedian's wife Pamela Stevenson hit back today, saying: 'Mike Parkinson is a daft old fart – doesn't know what he's talking about. Billy's doing great and still funny as hell.'

And Indigo Pictures – the company behind Connolly's new show, issued a statement saying: 'We have been busy filming with Billy over the summer and can report happily that he's on top form – as sharp and hilarious as ever.'

Replies From View

Will it be like the Hobbit film where they decided his performance wasn't sufficiently Connolly-esque so they completely replaced him with CGI?

Is this going to be Jar Jar Binks' World Tour of Scotland?

Small Man Big Horse

Maybe he just real hates Parkinson so was snubbing him in the hope he'd never have to have dinner with him again.

Malcy

He was at my friend's cafe a couple of months back and looked to be in fine form. Reckon Parky is the one losing it.

biggytitbo

Quote'We have been busy filming with Billy over the summer and can report happily that he's on top form – as sharp and hilarious as ever.'

Shit, that's a bad sign then.

Replies From View

Michael Parkinsons had a pink Mattel hoverboard.

Psmith

Went off him when he made some joke about the Brit bloke who was beheaded.
Parky a typical Yorkshireman:"I say what I like and I like what I say "

Replies From View

Quote from: Psmith on August 22, 2018, 09:51:00 PM
Went off him when he made some joke about the Brit bloke who was beheaded.
Parky a typical Yorkshireman:"I say what I like and I like what I say "

"And what I like is:  another man's unsheathed glans pressing against my cornea."

That was Parkinson's version of it.  He was obsessed with Parker pens as well, wasn't he.  Kept on appearing in adverts for Help the Aged trying to flog Parker pens that he'd got cheap in bulk.

Never understood anything about the fellow, if I am honest.

Maurice Yeatman

Did he ever sue his cousin and the Barnsley Chronicle for publishing a booklet that stated the part of Parkinson's autobiography that criticised a lot of his older relatives and lauded his own father was lies? It claimed Parky's dad was a miserable sod and not the ray of sunshine Parky painted him as. I think the Chronicle's editor said Parky went apeshit on the phone to him.

'appen.

It's the Parky curse - look at how many of his old interviewees are dead: Rod Hull, Emu, Les Dawson...

Was the beheading joke just Connolly's way of showing he was still willing to break taboos? Or was it one of those "Imp of the Perverse" things where you tell a tasteless and offensive joke simply because it's there and you can't resist the impulse? Did he ever apologize?

Whilst no topic is ever off-limits, the obvious thing that makes that joke (and Maddie jokes) unacceptable is that it is punching down, like much of Frankie Boyle's old shock stuff.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 23, 2018, 03:22:57 PM
It's the Parky curse - look at how many of his old interviewees are dead: Rod Hull, Emu, Les Dawson...

Producers, floor managers... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTfl_sGY1NA#t=8m19s

Replies From View

He has the Midas touch, except of death.

Artemis

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 23, 2018, 03:40:49 PM
Was the beheading joke just Connolly's way of showing he was still willing to break taboos? Or was it one of those "Imp of the Perverse" things where you tell a tasteless and offensive joke simply because it's there and you can't resist the impulse? Did he ever apologize?

I believe he was asked to clarify what he said, and refused on the basis that words without context don't provide any meaningful replication.

QuoteWhilst no topic is ever off-limits, the obvious thing that makes that joke (and Maddie jokes) unacceptable is that it is punching down

I didn't get the impression it was punching down. It was tasteless, sure, but the joke - IIRC - was that he wished ISIS would "just get on with it", and probably uttered in his off-hand, conversational manner. The joke was about the absurdity, prevalence and (literally) tortuously drawn out manner of the beheading stand-offs at that time, not a joke about the victim.

His style of stand up almost guarantees there'll be jokes uttered which don't hit. What's remarkable about his career is the number of jokes, or utterances, that do hit, with great effect.

Maurice Yeatman

I remember Jeremy Hardy on TV being utterly contemptuous of Connolly for making that joke. Can't remember what show it was now - might even have been the news.

Replies From View

Oh no you don't want Jeremy Hardy showing contempt towards you, how terrible

Ornlu

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 23, 2018, 03:22:57 PM

Peter Kay...