Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:46:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Venture Bros S7 (Aug 5th)

Started by madhair60, July 22, 2018, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCWXGYeGfs

Apparently the first two episodes were streamed and were basically the finale to S6, like the "All This And Gargantua-2" finale for S5.

Can't wait. Looks great!

madhair60

That's like a month old. This is the thread now.

Jumblegraws

Can't wait. Hope Dr Orpheus gets some decent screen time this season.

Small Man Big Horse

The first two episodes have been leaked though they're only currently available via myspleen. The sound's slightly off, but it's more than watchable.

kidsick5000

I feel a binge of seasons 5 and 6 coming on.

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed the new episodes a fair bit, they're not packed with laughs but plot wise it's fun stuff, and Hank is a highlight throughout.

Blumf

Why didn't they show these earlier? It really was the ending that should have been for the last season, but it's also enough for a inter-season special.

Need to watch Sharky's Machine.

kidsick5000

I feel I should cast a Dr Orpheus style "Spoilers BEGONE!!!" spell, just in case

The Venture Bros. season premiere is now streaming on the Adult Swim website and isn't geoblocked (at least not for me)

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/the-venture-bros-the-curse-of-the-haunted-problem/

kidsick5000

HOLY CRAPOLA! Did not see that coming

Povidone

Yeah they really know how and when to up the ante on the Venture mythos. Can't wait for next week's episode...

I'm glad the Adult Swim website has dropped the region blocking, having that episode appear brightened up a particularly rough Sunday.

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed that the t-shirt of the week thing is back. Can't say the first one does much for me but hopefully there'll be more fun ones coming soon - http://www.astrobasego.com/index.html

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 09, 2018, 11:19:30 AM
Just noticed that the t-shirt of the week thing is back. Can't say the first one does much for me but hopefully there'll be more fun ones coming soon - http://www.astrobasego.com/index.html

There's also a bloody big book
Go Team Venture!: The Art and Making of The Venture Bros.

It's an extensive oral history of the show from Jackon Publick and Doc Hammer about the show, episode by episode. It's kind of a love story, two guys, struggling to create this passion project. Interesting insight into how the working dynamic has changed - they're no longer two single guys able to camp out at the studio together etc - but also how much they're invested in this.

Just to add, here's a vid from SDCC about why the show takes so long to come out.

alan nagsworth

more people need to be talking about this. incredible episode. one of the most thrilling animated shows, or any shows for that matter, that i've ever seen. impeccable

Small Man Big Horse

I watched the first two episodes back to back when they leaked on myspleen but didn't comment at the time for spoiler related reasons. But I enjoyed them a great deal, and will say more after tonight's airs.

AsparagusTrevor

I'm still in a full-series rewatch, I'm on early season 4 so far. The release date for the new episodes kinda sneaked up on me.

madhair60

First two have been bloody brilliant as usual

kidsick5000

There's only a few of us here.
Who fancies getting spoilery?

I love how they make movie references. The Jaws notes were just on the right side.

Blumf

Mutha-fukin' Dr Venture Snr. is (was?) still alive inside the ProBLEM box from Gargantua 1!!! So, does that make the hallucinations Rusty suffered whilst on the space station actually real or not?
Doctor Orpheus back too! But seeing as he's stuck slumming it in the Rancho Feo Motor Home, has he recreated a gateway to his Master's realm?
Would like to see that.

As for E02, gets some important stuff sorted out with The Monarch, but I think we're all still on edge about the previous ep. Need E03!!

kidsick5000

Quote from: Blumf on August 13, 2018, 11:14:48 AM
As for E02, gets some important stuff sorted out with The Monarch, but I think we're all still on edge about the previous ep. Need E03!!

Oh yeah. As story telling goes, Episode 2 gets an A.
For satiating the desire to find out more from Ep 1, D.

It feels a bit odd that The Original Team Venture lasted to the 80s. But we have a key event... Movie Night!

alan nagsworth

I found a lot of the secondary characters fairly out-of-character in the second episode. Having just got done rewatching season six, Red Death's voice has changed, and he's even more psychotic now which I don't think works as well, plus Wide Wale was a bit of a loser all of a sudden, whereas previously he had been unflinchingly tough-acting. This was off putting, and so I found the first half of the episode a bit of a let down - although, coming from a show that is damn near faultless across like 90% of its six seasons, minor blips like this are easily forgivable, as the rest of the episode was very good indeed. The level of intrigue raised across these two episodes is brilliant. I get such a goddamn huge buzz off this show.

Really pleased to see the Order of the Triad back. Brick Frog too.

Small Man Big Horse

The third episode is now available. Girlfriend is sleeping so I won't be able to watch it tonight as I know my laughter would wake her, but I can't wait to see how everything is wrapped up.

Also noticed that Go Team Venture! The Art and Making Of The Venture Bros is on the pirate bay. I'm ridiculously broke right now and can't afford to buy it so plan to obtain it that way, but one day will definitely pay for it to make up for this.

kidsick5000

I like that Red Death is of complete contrasts - doting father, loving husband perfect family man - and completely psychotic menace.
It fits with the general theme that all this OSI/Guild stuff is essentially the same club based on play acting and wanting to be chased.
Red Death comes along and they fear that someone takes it that seriously.

kidsick5000

So episodes 1-3 was the Season 6 finale.
Amazing 3rd episode. Really clears the decks

Small Man Big Horse

I really enjoyed it too, though I wish both Rusty and Malcolm had been able to spend a little more time with their fucked up fathers before they were both destroyed. Still, this is The Venture Bros., so who knows if they'll somehow make a return in a few series time, especially as Brock mentioned OSI wanting to have Venture's head.

It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the season does now too given there's only five episodes, I hope it's just a minor arc and they wrap everything up so we don't get a repeat of last season's unsatisfying finale. I know an eighth season has been commissioned, but god knows when that will air.

kidsick5000

So, and this will sound like those whiners that scream about why it's not here sooner and why isn't it 22 episodes like Family Guy, but technically eps 1-3 were really the season 6 finale?
So the next 5 will be fairly fresh start? I wonder if they'll time jump?

I'm in awe of the storytelling so far. The parallel story time lines, small things like Hank's pizza probably just being pizza after all.
And the fairly casual approach to big reveals.

Dean is oddly maturing out of his Dean-ness and into a regular person, Hank is charming but such a fantasist that it's kinda worrying at the same.

I love that with Dr Jonas Venture,  they've hit upon this idea of the bored adventurer. A man so outside of society norms he no longer sees the boundaries, whether in science or private life.
Basically, if you knew Connery's (or Lazenby's) Bond, you'd soon see stuff that have to choose in or out.

I'd love to know when they hit upon the Vendata story. How long that's been under their hats.

I Guess there's only one - or two - big mysteries left to tell in the show now. I think one was alluded to in episode 3, albeit in disguise.

Given that there's only a few of us in here, any objections to full on spoilerishness?

Blumf

Well that confirmed the most popular theory, although we still don't know how the Blue Morpho's plane crashed. And how much can The Monarch learn about his parentage now? Dr. Mrs The Monarch knows the 'official' parentage, but does the true story die with Jonas Sr. and Venturion?

Whew! Where next?

kidsick5000

Quote from: Blumf on August 20, 2018, 08:46:28 PM
Well that confirmed the most popular theory, although we still don't know how the Blue Morpho's plane crashed. And how much can The Monarch learn about his parentage now? Dr. Mrs The Monarch knows the 'official' parentage, but does the true story die with Jonas Sr. and Venturion?

Whew! Where next?

But I don't think that reveal is as straight forward as we think it is

Blumf

Indeed, neither Rusty or The Monarch look much like Jonas Sr., so there is scope for something else (still no idea who Rusty's mum is after all)