Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,341
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Venture Bros S7 (Aug 5th)

Started by madhair60, July 22, 2018, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Maybe Mike Lazzo is sore because his pet project, Squidbillies, is probably due to be cancelled, having had to sack its principal voice actor (Stuart D. Baker AKA Unknown Hinson) for being racist and misogynist on Twitter recently. I mean Lazzo really forced Squidbillies into existence against all resistance if you've watch the extras on the DVDs. And sacked off ATHF along the way. I'm hoping ATHF will now get a reprise given that Dave Willis' two current series (Squidbillies & Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell) are now coming to a close.

I don't think Venture Bros needs to worry about finding a new home, either. I've been listening to the Venture Bros commentaries just recently and Doc Hammer & Jackson Publick seem an unstoppable force of creative goodness.

Jackson Publick liked the tweet as well, not looking good unless it's a cruel, cruel joke.

Doing a bit of googling also found out that Doc Hammer became paraplegic sometime in the last year? He talks about it here, although found a recent picture of him mowing the grass so maybe it's not a dire as it sounds, but fucking hell.

Blumf

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on September 07, 2020, 06:31:19 PM
CANCELLED?!

What!?

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on September 07, 2020, 08:49:50 PM
Doing a bit of googling also found out that Doc Hammer became paraplegic sometime in the last year? He talks about it here, although found a recent picture of him mowing the grass so maybe it's not a dire as it sounds, but fucking hell.

WHAAAT!!!!!?

How does this go by unnoticed?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on September 07, 2020, 08:49:50 PM
Jackson Publick liked the tweet as well, not looking good unless it's a cruel, cruel joke.

I'm not seeing his name in there.

madhair60

madhair60

Imagine actually cancelling The Venture Bros

idunnosomename

how the fuck is squidbillies still going

Hoping beyond hope they can get S8 picked up somewhere for a proper send off.

The Mollusk

I can't begin to express how upset I am right now. This show means everything to me, it's legitimately in my top 3 shows of all time, maybe even number 1. I'm close to fucking crying. They've come so far with it, it's heartbreaking to think of it being cut short now.

The Mollusk

People on Twitter speculating it'll go the way of Metalocalypse, which is basically down the fuckin toilet forever.

Quote from: NoSleep on September 07, 2020, 07:55:33 PM
Maybe Mike Lazzo is sore because his pet project, Squidbillies, is probably due to be cancelled, having had to sack its principal voice actor (Stuart D. Baker AKA Unknown Hinson) for being racist and misogynist on Twitter recently. I mean Lazzo really forced Squidbillies into existence against all resistance if you've watch the extras on the DVDs. And sacked off ATHF along the way. I'm hoping ATHF will now get a reprise given that Dave Willis' two current series (Squidbillies & Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell) are now coming to a close.

I don't think Venture Bros needs to worry about finding a new home, either. I've been listening to the Venture Bros commentaries just recently and Doc Hammer & Jackson Publick seem an unstoppable force of creative goodness.

Mike Lazzo retired at the end of last year, Michael Ouluween, co-creator of Harvey Birdman, was named his successor back in May/June

People are speculating that this is higher-ups doing due to a corporate shakeup with an AT&T merger, Adult Swim tweeting that they're trying to work out a way to continue it:

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1303162122520723456

Blumf

Question is, would any other company tolerate the super-slow-mo production schedule? Or would/could Doc and Jackson tolerate a faster pace whilst maintaining quality?

EDIT: FWIW
https://www.change.org/p/netflix-amazon-hbo-max-be-our-brock-samson-and-save-the-venture-bros

Small Man Big Horse

It's absolutely horrible news but I'm staying in denial, as surely a show that is so loved, and so critically acclaimed, must find a home somewhere else.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blumf on September 08, 2020, 09:38:31 AM
Question is, would any other company tolerate the super-slow-mo production schedule? Or would/could Doc and Jackson tolerate a faster pace whilst maintaining quality?

EDIT: FWIW
https://www.change.org/p/netflix-amazon-hbo-max-be-our-brock-samson-and-save-the-venture-bros

Yeah, I'm highly pessimistic too. Signed the naff petition and will forever live in hope and if any proper cause ever surfaced I would gladly give money, but... I dunno. Seems like they had a really good thing going for them at AS which wouldn't just happen overnight. There was a mutual trust there that they'd deliver the goods no matter how long it took. Despite the praise that's been heaped on it over the years, it's still a really niche show, so I just pray someone out there is willing to give them the same ludicrous amount of creative leg room to continue.

Ugh. This hurts.

madhair60

CaB watch through? Venture Bros club?

MojoJojo

Apparently the plan was to finish it in season 9. So if they could just get one last season to wrap it up that might work.

The ultra slow production schedule did hurt it as a viewing experience. I count myself as a fan but I no longer have the same excitement I did when a new series arrives as I did with season 4.

Quote from: madhair60 on September 08, 2020, 10:37:04 AM

I actually started a rewatch recently. I downloaded it all but I discovered yesterday season 1-7 are on All4, for those who find that easier.

The Mollusk

I've literally only just finished watching it through (for about the 5th time) last month, but it's all so firmly planted in my mind that I would love to contribute to the post-watch chats.

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 08, 2020, 10:49:18 AM
The ultra slow production schedule did hurt it as a viewing experience. I count myself as a fan but I no longer have the same excitement I did when a new series arrives as I did with season 4.

Weird. I feel the exact opposite. Waiting a while for such an incredibly meticulous work of art is not a chore for me at all.

chveik

NoSleep

I'm in. I haven't been able to stop cycling through the entire series since discovering it only a short while ago; I'm always at some stage through a rewatch. Currently rewatching with commentary (mostly just Doc & Jackson).

MojoJojo

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 08, 2020, 11:31:00 AM
I've literally only just finished watching it through (for about the 5th time) last month, but it's all so firmly planted in my mind that I would love to contribute to the post-watch chats.

Weird. I feel the exact opposite. Waiting a while for such an incredibly meticulous work of art is not a chore for me at all.

I think I stopped rewatching so much after series 4, and then it it takes a while to get back into the world again. Also it becomes easy to miss a lot of callbacks or references to earlier shows if it's not fresh. I don't think it's that the later series are worse- but I don't think it's a very accessible show, and if I haven't watched any for two years that's a problem for me.

Maybe it's just me though and I don't deserve the Venture Bros.

(Fake edit - I've just realised I had 2 kids between series 4 and 5 and that might have something to do with it)

Thursday

Honestly, the gap between 4 and 5 did kill things a bit for me, waiting over 2 and a half years for 8 episodes was pretty underwhelming. I can understand why it happened, but I felt a real sense of, "is that it then?" After series 5.

Duckula

Does Adult Swim actually put out anything apart from Venture Bros that's worth watching anymore?

It's better that it ends up somewhere where it gets treated with the respect it's due.

NoSleep

The Shivering Truth and Rick & Morty.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Duckula on September 08, 2020, 02:21:34 PM
Does Adult Swim actually put out anything apart from Venture Bros that's worth watching anymore?

It's better that it ends up somewhere where it gets treated with the respect it's due.

Joe Pera Talks With You is a thing of almighty beauty, and I also love PFFR's The Shivering Truth. Plus there's Tigtone, The Eric Andre Show (which is supposed to be finally returning soon), and Three Busy Debras too which are really great. And of course there's Rick and Morty, which I still really enjoy, but which now divides opinion enormously.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Mike Lazzo, who was a huge supporter, retired last December.

The Culture Bunker

I haven't seen any after series four, and I was trying to work out why that was. But Thursday's comment that there was a fairly long gap might explain it. Keep meaning to pick up now that they're all on e4, but never seem to get around to it, which is a bit strange as I hugely enjoyed those first four series.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on September 08, 2020, 03:07:00 PM
Mike Lazzo, who was a huge supporter, retired last December.

Yes, I've subsequently found the DVD commentaries are favourable towards Mike Lazzo. But screw him for sacking off ATHF and being misogynist anyway.

NoSleep

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 08, 2020, 03:13:44 PM
I haven't seen any after series four, and I was trying to work out why that was. But Thursday's comment that there was a fairly long gap might explain it. Keep meaning to pick up now that they're all on e4, but never seem to get around to it, which is a bit strange as I hugely enjoyed those first four series.

You have much to look forward to.