Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:03:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Venture Bros S7 (Aug 5th)

Started by madhair60, July 22, 2018, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blumf on August 20, 2018, 09:25:28 PM
Indeed, neither Rusty or The Monarch look much like Jonas Sr., so there is scope for something else (still no idea who Rusty's mum is after all)

True, but I don't look like my dad either, instead being cursed to look a fair bit like my mum. I'd be pretty amazed if it turned out Rusty wasn't Jonas's son, or if the Monarch wasn't either given how long it's been hinted at, and pretty much confirmed here.

alan nagsworth

I'm still gonna spoiler here, and the rest of you should too. There's a small number of us watching but the developments in episodes of this show are too large for us to assume we've all seen it at the same time.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 20, 2018, 09:34:39 PM
True, but I don't look like my dad either, instead being cursed to look a fair bit like my mum. I'd be pretty amazed if it turned out Rusty wasn't Jonas's son, or if the Monarch wasn't either given how long it's been hinted at, and pretty much confirmed here.

Regarding this specifically, the Blue Morpho in the movie night flashback revealed he was having difficulty conceiving with his wife and was worried the problem was on his end, so definitely not worth ruling anything out.

Anyway, that was a fucking great episode! Some breathtaking stuff here, especially how brutal that ending was. Malcolm meeting his reanimated murderous cyborg rather, literally sharing a glance before he dies and then having his murder victoriously pinned on him. That's some of the more top end of savage, unflinching character development this show has given us over the years.

I really can't believe how good this show is sometimes. The complexity of the story that never feels hackneyed or farfetched, how it's got this far is remarkable. And that they can make it so funny! When the old Team Venture drop Jonas' frozen body and it smashes on the floor!

Ugh. Love it.

Blumf

"Two years and seventeen days"

alan nagsworth

Yo is that seriously fuckin accurate to the day?

Blumf

Not in our time (it's from S01's Past Tense after all, 2004), but maybe within the show's timeline.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Blumf on August 21, 2018, 09:51:09 AM
Not in our time (it's from S01's Past Tense after all, 2004), but maybe within the show's timeline.

Ahh I see, yeah I couldn't remember when that was from.

Incidentally I'm so happy to see the Order of the Triad back as a regular fixture.

kidsick5000

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 20, 2018, 10:16:47 PM
I'm still gonna spoiler here, and the rest of you should too. There's a small number of us watching but the developments in episodes of this show are too large for us to assume we've all seen it at the same time.

Regarding this specifically, the Blue Morpho in the movie night flashback revealed he was having difficulty conceiving with his wife and was worried the problem was on his end, so definitely not worth ruling anything out.

Anyway, that was a fucking great episode! Some breathtaking stuff here, especially how brutal that ending was. Malcolm meeting his reanimated murderous cyborg rather, literally sharing a glance before he dies and then having his murder victoriously pinned on him. That's some of the more top end of savage, unflinching character development this show has given us over the years.

I really can't believe how good this show is sometimes. The complexity of the story that never feels hackneyed or farfetched, how it's got this far is remarkable. And that they can make it so funny! When the old Team Venture drop Jonas' frozen body and it smashes on the floor!

Ugh. Love it.

I need to go back and watch the first Gargantua episode. Technically, Rusty killed his dad , right?

Also, could it be that  Rusty and Malcom are the proto Dean and Hank clones using the eggs from Blue Morpho's wife (just like Hank and Dean's 'mother' is their former bodyguard)? After all, Jonas called his son his greatest experiment?

kidsick5000

Ok. Wow.
I would love to know how much of this was planned - or have they just really expertly retrofitted events with significance.
Careers in Science has everything  the paperboy, movie night, Sharky's Machine, hanger doors, PROBLEM.

Damn. Could they be that good?

Hank Venture

Episode four out on the torrents.

MojoJojo

Gah, I really loved the first four seasons, and the fifth - but the sixth left me cold. I'm going back to the sixth tonight, and will hopefully run through it and the seventh.

I think the long gaps have really hurt it for me - season 3/4 is when I picked it up and binge watched and rewatched, but it's not something I can come back to after a year break and love in the same way.

kidsick5000

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 26, 2018, 07:48:47 PM
Gah, I really loved the first four seasons, and the fifth - but the sixth left me cold. I'm going back to the sixth tonight, and will hopefully run through it and the seventh.

I think the long gaps have really hurt it for me - season 3/4 is when I picked it up and binge watched and rewatched, but it's not something I can come back to after a year break and love in the same way.

All I can do is to urge you to give it a go. What they are doing with this season would be blowing up all over the place if it was some big name show.

kidsick5000

A more low key episode after three storming episodes.
Great intro though.

*sniff* It's going to be gone all too soon, isn't it.

madhair60

alan nagsworth

This show is a masterclass in continuity, character development, pastiche and comedic brilliance. Rick & Morty could learn a lot from it. The Monarch in particular is an absolute sensation to watch, he's always been a fantastic character, after all he's been through.

Loved the Hudsucker Proxy bit (and the gruesome end of that scene). Also very much enjoyed seeing more of the Brown Widow, as well as the stuff with Hank and Dean. I'm so excited for every new episode of this!

madhair60

Brown Widow's q-tip business absolutely revolted me.

Small Man Big Horse

There's a lot of talk in the AV Club comments section about how they reckon that one of Dean or Hank will become a supervillain, possibly due to the romantic triangle that might be being set up, or just down to Rusty's terrible parenting. I'm not sure myself, and hope it doesn't go in that direction, but I suppose it's a possibility, even if it wasn't a permanent character change.

kidsick5000

It might be a bit out there, but I can imagine Dean becoming a supervillain against both the Guild and OSI just to make them stop.
Then again, they might not. It's a bit Kylo Ren, isn't it

alan nagsworth

Personally I'd like to see Hank emerge as Russian Guyovich.

kidsick5000

Quote from: madhair60 on August 29, 2018, 09:44:05 AM
Brown Widow's q-tip business absolutely revolted me.

But I can imagine that if you did have web shooting abilities, it would get to be a hygiene issue.
When it comes to presenting cartoon and comic book characters through a cold light of 'realism', Venture Bros is still the only one to get the balance right.
Have you tried the recent DC/Hanna Barbera crossover? Aside from the Flinstones, it's grim as hell. It's just taking beloved characters and making them either gritty or putting them through some Mad Men-style existential hell.

madhair60

Loved Garth Ennis' Dastardly and Muttley bit tho.

kidsick5000

Well, that's that theory confirmed.
Rusty, and I guess the Monarch, are clones.
Unless, it's only Rusty who's the clone and Malcom is the result of Jonas sleeping with Blue Morpho's Wife.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 04, 2018, 08:04:00 PM
Well, that's that theory confirmed.
Rusty, and I guess the Monarch, are clones.
Unless, it's only Rusty who's the clone and Malcom is the result of Jonas sleeping with Blue Morpho's Wife.

Proper hand-on-mouth gasp at that bit. Gah, lots I'd like to say but it's late, I'll come back to this. Another flipping great episode though.

madhair60

God. I'm only a few minutes into this and there are SO MANY good character bits. "Quinquagenary" (Dean gives a thumbs up)

madhair60

Huge, delighted grin on my face seeing Dermot!

I love these characters. I love them.

Blumf

This was a ticking over episode, not a whole lot happens, yet it's still brilliant because of the characters and the universe they inhabit.

Rusty seemed to be very competent chairing that summit. Is this his life calling?

madhair60

Quote from: Blumf on September 05, 2018, 12:11:40 AM
This was a ticking over episode, not a whole lot happens

OTHER THAN THE BIGGEST REVELATION SINCE SEASON 2 EPISODE 1

madhair60

Why the fuck don't more people watch this?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: madhair60 on September 05, 2018, 10:00:51 AM
OTHER THAN THE BIGGEST REVELATION SINCE SEASON 2 EPISODE 1

I watched that episode recently. I feel like the leap between the first half of season one and the lofty heights of that episode's opening scene and subsequent reveals is enormous, sensational, and utterly brilliant. I forgot just how much I was blown away by it when I first saw it. The use of music is as fantastic here as when they used Like A Friend in Operation P.R.O.M.

It's alleged that Doc and JP spunked most of the budget on this opening sequence but holy fuck was it worth it. Can you imagine if Adult Swim had flipped the other way and season one was all we ever got of this show? It doesn't bear thinking about!

Hey, the other three or four people watching this show, relive that scene here and get the same chill up your spine when it cuts to the nightclub bit.

Quote from: madhair60 on September 06, 2018, 09:46:29 AM
Why the fuck don't more people watch this?

It's fucked, isn't it? This and Ween are the two big things in my life that are so sorely underrated but I've basically given up trying to convince people of how miraculously good they are because I just end up sounding like a raving lunatic. BUT THE VENTURE BROS IS THAT FUCKING GOOD. It's not some relatively piss-ant animated comedy you can just pick up whenever you want some irreverent chuckles. It's like Mad Men or Sopranos levels of insanely good writing. Ugh why am I even typing this the only people reading it are the ones who already know it

madhair60

The whole of the last episode, I had a huge, dumb, open-mouth smile on my face from the moment that Dermot takes off his helmet and he and Hank start doing their stupid ritual handshake. It's absolute character-driven bliss.

a peepee tipi

Yeah fuck, few shows, let alone what seems on the surface just an animated comedy, get a reaction out of me to its story beats. They know how to keep it compelling without hitting the gag rate. I'm still rewatching Season 1 and just finished the Brisbyland episode. Brisby  specifically mentions the cloning research as having come from Jonas, leapt out of my seat and had to rewind it just to be sure. And I knew the Monarch's origin story came early but for some reason I thought it was around Season 2, so was pleasantly surprised when it was in episode 1 Newark airport and all.

Anyways, brilliant as usual and it's always nice when the Doc does well. Really good to see Dermott, the little bit of Ward and Watch we got went a long way too. The prospect of a Monarch/Gary and St. Cloud episode coming up is making me all giddy, fuck that's incredible pairing.