Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Venture Bros S7 (Aug 5th)

Started by madhair60, July 22, 2018, 02:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Ward and Watch are sooo good. Red Mantle and Dragoon are two of my favourite secondary characters, too. Couple of great double acts.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought the latest was the first disappointment of the season, not that it was bad but it felt a bit filler-ish. Billy and White's appearances were fun, but I was a bit bored by all the bits with St.Cloud and the Monarch. I feel mean for criticising it when it's still a great series, it's just this wasn't quite up there with the past five episodes.

madhair60

Fun, but not up to the storming standards of the previous five this season.

Blumf

This is one of the things I love about the VB world, just seeing the characters enjoy the whole arching business so much.

Still don't like St. Could mind. Too on-the-nose with the pop culture refs.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Blumf on September 10, 2018, 10:32:10 PM
Still don't like St. Could mind. Too on-the-nose with the pop culture refs.

I guess that's his role in VB, to be disliked by all.
He's the passionless moneyed collector with minimal interest in the subject.
I wonder how much he'll play into the future of of the show?

Blumf

It's more that, in VB most the characters have an interest, or even obsession, with various bits of pop culture. But it's just there, in the background, an amusing aside to the main story. Bringing in St. Cloud, as a direct and solely pop culture obsessive detracts from that. As I said, too on-the-nose, or to put it another way, it's a bit like explaining the joke, except in this case the joke clearly doesn't need explaining. It just takes you out of the show.

I do like the idea of Billy and Pete getting their own arch, will be a good arc, just wish it was somebody more interesting than St. Cloud.

madhair60

Last episode was back on form. And, er, some good Sheila bits.

kidsick5000

I'm really not sure what to think of this episode.
To be honest I didn't give it my full undivided, but think it may have overstepped.
It's not like it offends me but it may have gone further than I'd prefer VB to go.
I'm one of those that preffered the swearing to be bleeped but only because it seems funnier that way.

Then again, I'll give it another look.
What did you chaps think?

Small Man Big Horse

I liked it a lot. I wouldn't want it to be any more extreme than it already was, but the various plot strands entertained and even though there was no Hank or Dean it was still a very strong episode.

kidsick5000

Plot wise, it was great. And I loved the twist. It's one of those that sends you back to see the clues - even the Red Mocha Kooler. Though it was interesting to see how easy it was to accept that Dr Girlfriend would be part of this.

What does that ending mean for Monarch and Gary? With both sides of the transporter, are they stuck in some Ant-Man-ish quantum realm.

I also liked that explanation of why a teleportation device would screw things up so massively. Never considered that.

But yeah, any time they lose the coyness or don't try to bleep or black bar the more adult stuff, it doesn't seem to sit right with me. Like Doc's dreams about his dad back in season two, it was funnier in the broadcast versions where they tried to cover the penis gags than the uncut DVD versions. But maybe that's just me

madhair60

Subway station entrance visible just to the right so I can only assume Monarch and Gary bailed down there

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 17, 2018, 11:20:23 PM
But yeah, any time they lose the coyness or don't try to bleep or black bar the more adult stuff, it doesn't seem to sit right with me. Like Doc's dreams about his dad back in season two, it was funnier in the broadcast versions where they tried to cover the penis gags than the uncut DVD versions. But maybe that's just me

I usually prefer the uncensored versions, The Monarch in particular swears really well, but some jokes have worked better when bleeped.

The most extreme example of this was the Prom episode, the explanations of what a 'Rusty Venture' entails which were beeped for the TV so you could only imagine what disgusting things they were describing. Whereas on the DVD version everything was unbleeped and it lost the funniness of the unknown.

alan nagsworth

Is no one gonna mention the tragedy that is Tiny Eagle's death?! Tiny Eagle!

I've enjoyed the somewhat slowed down pace of these last two, particularly the St. Cloud episode which is a healthy reminder of how playful and daft the show can still be, amidst the balls-deep serious stuff. The sheer arrogance of the whole thing, that despite the amount of tragedy and death they've all witnessed, they're just a bunch of spoilt asshole kids. I also think St. Cloud has one of the best voices in the show, and that's coming from a show with serious clout in the voice talent department.

As an aside, I'm simultaneously rewatching the old stuff again, and I noticed another too-deep-to-be-a-coincidence thing in the first episode of season three, where the Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch are being grilled by the Council of 13: Monarch is retelling the story of his villainous rise, and in mentioning Rusty getting sent from college because Jonas had died, asks the Council "who killed him, anyway? You guys must know, right?" before he is quickly silenced by one of them. Which one? Vendata, of course! How is this show that water-tight?!

alan nagsworth

Ah, episode eight's out as well!

kidsick5000

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 22, 2018, 04:48:15 PM

As an aside, I'm simultaneously rewatching the old stuff again, and I noticed another too-deep-to-be-a-coincidence thing in the first episode of season three, where the Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch are being grilled by the Council of 13: Monarch is retelling the story of his villainous rise, and in mentioning Rusty getting sent from college because Jonas had died, asks the Council "who killed him, anyway? You guys must know, right?" before he is quickly silenced by one of them. Which one? Vendata, of course! How is this show that water-tight?!

Good god.  There's some insane level of plotting here. Insane plotting and a trained spy level of restraint in keeping secrets.

To not even nod toward Vendata being a big deal in any interview? That's nuts

kidsick5000

Silence last week. This week, intrigued by the return of the disturbing bear.
Interesting villain from the Peril Partnership - like a more deadly St Cloud

Thursday

It was pretty heavily telegraphed, but I'm really happy for Dean that he got to have some sex there.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Thursday on October 01, 2018, 08:15:04 PM
It was pretty heavily telegraphed, but I'm really happy for Dean that he got to have some sex there.

Yeah I saw that coming weeks ago but it was a strong payoff, I just hope Hank doesn't go all villainous now. Loved the episode as a whole though, especially the time travel bit, I wonder during what season they'll eventually return to that.

kidsick5000

The time travel bit suggests a couple of things.
Doc and Billy have really got a taste for adventuring together. The mild confusion rather than panic points to them being in the wrong location being par for the course.

That future Doc and Monarch are on much better terms.

Speculation corner: The series is heading to the dissolution of OSi/The guild, possibly a merger.

Blumf

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 02, 2018, 02:01:46 AM
Speculation corner: The series is heading to the dissolution of OSi/The guild, possibly a merger.

I'm not quiet following what's going on with the Guild. They still have resources and members, but the council just seem to be winding down on autopilot. Obviously something will have to give, but I just don't see why they're letting it get so bad in the first place.

AsparagusTrevor

One episode left. This season isn't going to have a finale again, is it.

alan nagsworth

Excellent resolution to this episode with those two agents. Chilling stuff.

Rusty and Billy are so good together. Harkens back to the end of season three when they go off on the wrong trail to find the Orb and end up in Studio 54. I hope this does pave the way for more of that stuff.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 01, 2018, 11:19:41 PM
Yeah I saw that coming weeks ago but it was a strong payoff, I just hope Hank doesn't go all villainous now. Loved the episode as a whole though, especially the time travel bit, I wonder during what season they'll eventually return to that.

That's been hinted at before, perhaps here? But definitely on the subreddit (which, if I've not stated before, is essential reading and savagely in-depth chat and speculation). If that is the case, it would be an interesting tie-in if we're lead to believe Rusty and Malcolm are also brothers.

Quote from: Blumf on October 02, 2018, 12:39:16 PM
I'm not quiet following what's going on with the Guild. They still have resources and members, but the council just seem to be winding down on autopilot. Obviously something will have to give, but I just don't see why they're letting it get so bad in the first place.

Isn't this just a lot of "playing by the rules"? Although I'll admit that side of things hasn't been totally riveting.

Gutted that next week's is the last of the series. Every time I rewatch this show I'm reminded of how sad I always get knowing how long the wait will be for more of this magnificent show.

kidsick5000

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 02, 2018, 01:51:57 PM
One episode left. This season isn't going to have a finale again, is it.

So soon. Damn. How can I word this?
I've loved everything about this season but it does not feel like it's building to a finale.
It feels like it's still cooling down after the initial three-parter.
Unless we're in for a super-packed/extra-length finale next week...

alan nagsworth

The ol' subreddit is speculating that the next season might be the last. I think it might be taking a toll on Publick and Hammer.

Something else being talked about over there:

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 02, 2018, 05:10:52 PM
The ol' subreddit is speculating that the next season might be the last. I think it might be taking a toll on Publick and Hammer.

I hope that's not the case, I think the series is so strong it could run for a good few more seasons yet. And someone in the subreddit said this:

"I don't think they plan on ending. In the book, DH said that he had a brief crisis of conscious about continuing, but came out of that affirming that he loves making the show and that he could go on continually doing it."

alan nagsworth

Ah right. Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong, I'd be bloody torn apart if it ever ended, but I can understand how much of a strenuous labour of love it must be. They work so damn hard on it!

Thursday

Surely it's not still killing them though is it? They made changes after season 4 because it had become too demanding on them and since there's been far fewer episodes coming out across a much longer period of time.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Thursday on October 02, 2018, 05:47:59 PM
Surely it's not still killing them though is it? They made changes after season 4 because it had become too demanding on them and since there's been far fewer episodes coming out across a much longer period of time.

Apparently they didn't have any time off at all between seasons, which surprises, I know they do a lot of work on the show but it's only ten episodes over two years which isn't a lot compared to many other series.

kidsick5000

Creating the series in the manner that they do must take a toll.
The acceptable references well must be running dry. We've had a fairly lengthy Jaws segment this season.

I would not be surprised if the next series is the last. I might be reading too much into it but it feels, to me at least, that the Hammer Publick relationship is strained. Or that's how it feels. It could just be me reading the behind the scenes stuff and not twigging that that's just the status quo.

But hey, it's not two guys in an NY attic any more.

alan nagsworth

Well, we wanted a proper season finale and we really got one there. Superb episode. So much stuff tied up and so many new doors opened. Ugh, I'm on such a high after that! Hank and Dean got me tearin' up a fair bit there, and The Monarch is honestly just the most magnificent character, as well. Seven seasons of us learning who he is came to such a simplistic but wonderful head in this episode and I cannot wait to see where they go from here.

As is the standard way of things, it sucks we're gonna have another big wait on our hands, but I'd still be happy even if I had to wait twice as long for television this good.

Hey, if you're reading this thread out of rainy Saturday curiosity and you've never watched this show before, GO AND FUCKING WATCH IT. You have no idea, seriously. Do it. It's the fucking greatest and in its seventh season, it's close to being one of the most consistently entertaining animated comedies of all time.