Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mission: Impossible 6 - Fallout

Started by chveik, July 22, 2018, 03:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Butchers Blind

I enjoyed the last one even though plot wise it made no sense.  Good to see a film using proper stunt work and not going overboard on the CGI.

mothman

I haven't been to see an M:I in the cinema since... 2, 18 years ago. My life was so different then. Didn't like 3, thought 4 was a bit better, 5 seemed a bit all over the place. Maybe now is the time to give one a shot, this does look good.

kidsick5000

Fallout is astounding. It raises the bar for action films so ridiculously high.
Anyone with an action film coming out after this - especially the Bond franchise - must be wondering if it's worth continuing.

It's 2.5 hours and packed to the rafters. It's relentless.

mothman

Twit 2

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 22, 2018, 04:24:57 PM
Fallout is astounding. It raises the bar for action films so ridiculously high.
Anyone with an action film coming out after this - especially the Bond franchise - must be wondering if it's worth continuing.

It's 2.5 hours and packed to the rafters. It's relentless.

ITS AN ACTION-FILLED, ADRENALINE-FUELLED THRILL RIDE!!!

mothman

Blinder Data

Say you wot you like about lil Tommy, he sure knows how to pull off ridiculous stunts

Looking forward to this

Kane Jones

Off to see this on Wednesday night. These films are just such good fun. Really looking forward to it.

asids

Hopefully catch this next week. Always ended up enjoying the recent MI films and this looks like it should be even better.

phantom_power

Apart from 2, which has dated really badly, all these films are a hoot and are probably the best franchise of films in terms of individual and overall quality.

Head Gardener

tickets for me n missus n lad already sorted for tomorrow = £35!!! it better be damn fine

checkoutgirl

I've fallen for the hype on this which if you think about it is half the thrill of the cinema. I  must see it so will be avoiding further reviews etc. I do think Cruise looks slightly silly with that snorkel on in the promotional posters though.

kidsick5000

Try to avoid the special features about the stunts until after you've watched the film.
But they are amazing in themselves - especially when it shows what Tom Cruise had to do make stunts happen.

The stunt equivalent of rubbing your stomach while patting your head, while playing Stairway To Heaven on a kazoo.

gotmilk

The last 2 films have been very good indeed, so quite excited about this. That said, I do have some reservations about some of the stuff I've been hearing about the latest entry diving deeper into Hunt's psyche. One thing I found refreshing about Rogue Nation was its refusal to engage in that kind of thing, particularly in contrast to that year's James Bond offering. Where Spectre connected all the previous films baddies, hid the identity of the villain until the last possible moment, and hinged on the idea that Blofeld had a deep personal connection with Bond, Rogue Nation was gratifyingly classical in its approach, trusting the audience to enjoy the story without such "intense" and "dark" posturing. I hope the new film retains that lightness of touch rather than becoming increasingly silly and childish in the name of seeming more important and adult.

Paaaaul

Just watched it.
It's possibly the most ludicrous non-fantasy thing I've seen in the cinema. But entertaining. But over-long.
It feels a bit more Bourne-y than previous IMs, but don't worry too much about that because it loads on plenty of insanity as it progress.
I wouldn't worry too much about "delving into Hunt's psyche". Other than a single scene where two other characters discuss him for a bit, it's business as usual.

Chairman Yang

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 25, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
Just watched it.
It's possibly the most ludicrous non-fantasy thing I've seen in the cinema. But entertaining. But over-long.
It feels a bit more Bourne-y than previous IMs, but don't worry too much about that because it loads on plenty of insanity as it progress.
I wouldn't worry too much about "delving into Hunt's psyche". Other than a single scene where two other characters discuss him for a bit, it's business as usual.

Thank Christ for that, the trailer was really playing up the "serious spy story" stuff.

Brad Bird got it, man. I just want a bunch of silly disguises and trick elevators, that's what MI is about!

Paaaaul

Quote from: Chairman Yang on July 26, 2018, 09:13:34 AM
Thank Christ for that, the trailer was really playing up the "serious spy story" stuff.

Brad Bird got it, man. I just want a bunch of silly disguises and trick elevators, that's what MI is about!

There is "serious spy" stuff, but that ends up ludicrous too. I won't elaborate because *spoilers*.

Kane Jones

Loved it. Great fun with some spectacular action sequences and neat plot twists along the way. 4/5.

EDIT: the only thing I found a bit disappointing was
Spoiler alert
there was no ludicrous pre-title action sequence.
[close]

paruses

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 25, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
Just watched it.

Yes - saw it this morning and this is exactly what I thought. "delving into Hunt's psyche" seemed to consist of a bit of clumsy unnecessary exposition and some sentimental shit towards the end.

Gave me an unrealistic sense of my own potential during the action so it did its job there. I liked the constant variations on a theme for the incidental music - something I've not noticed before but can't really remember the others outside of the bridge scene in the first one and dangling from the roof to type a password in in the second one, maybe. Or was that also the first.

The witty sidecracks are shit but then they have been in films for a good 15 years. Simon Pegg gets the best throwaway line which honestly made me laugh for about a minute - I won't spoiler it - it's the one where he meets Walker very early on in the car.

bgmnts

Cruise's Thetan levels must be through the roof!

Custard

Yeah, this is a belter. Really solid action, the stunts are spectacular, it's surprisingly funny, and it's tongue is wedged firmly in't cheek. Great fun

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Good fun, but I expect I won't remember much about it in a day or two. This one doesn't even seem to have a big signature stunt like the others.

Rebecca Fergusson and Michelle Monaghan are distractingly similar looking.

Chairman Yang

Ahh, that was great! I really dug how unbelievably petty the baddie's master plan turned out to be.

I deeply suspect all the personal stuff for Hunt was literally just to remind the audience that his wife exists.

Shaky

Does Ving Rhames actually do anything in this one?

paruses

Quote from: Chairman Yang on July 30, 2018, 01:17:26 AM
Ahh, that was great! I really dug how unbelievably petty the baddie's master plan turned out to be.

Haha - yes. Despite the whirlwind of the final action scenes I did find myself stepping out of it at one point to say "why is all this taking place here? Does he hate scenery?".

notjosh

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 30, 2018, 01:05:14 AM
Good fun, but I expect I won't remember much about it in a day or two. This one doesn't even seem to have a big signature stunt like the others.

The more I think about it the more impressed I am with the HALO jump. He's literally doing a scene in mid-air:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=614&v=Iw9r19I6uJ4

Operty1

Quote from: notjosh on July 30, 2018, 11:12:57 AM
The more I think about it the more impressed I am with the HALO jump. He's literally doing a scene in mid-air:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=614&v=Iw9r19I6uJ4

Also, that was really Tom Cruise piloting the helicopter at the end and doing all the heli flying stunt work. The mad bastard spent 3 months doing 8 hour days getting his pilot license, clocking in 2000 hrs of flight time. He had to fly it, act, and film himself at the same time. Show off!!

paruses

There were a few too many bits in it that jarred me out of the moment  - I loved the HALO jump but had a blip before it all kicked off as to why they are the only ones in the back of the plane, and even if it was so secret only the two of them could be there then why did the pilot tell them they had 10 mins to the jump zone but not give them a weather report? Also Simon Pegg following the tracker thing - his screen has the decorative floor markings but no a depiction of a stair case? There are other things but it would be spoilers to mention them.

The whole thing in St Paul's though - the chase was fine but why the backstory of what was taking place? Does anyone think that there was some cutting done there?

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Operty1 on July 30, 2018, 01:01:31 PM
Also, that was really Tom Cruise piloting the helicopter at the end and doing all the heli flying stunt work. The mad bastard spent 3 months doing 8 hour days getting his pilot license, clocking in 2000 hrs of flight time. He had to fly it, act, and film himself at the same time. Show off!!

Doesn't actually add anything to the movie though. Going to all the effort of showing it's really him means there's some odd shot and editing choices that disrupt the pace of the action.