Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mission: Impossible 6 - Fallout

Started by chveik, July 22, 2018, 03:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

I disagree completely. Cruise doing all of the stunt work in these movies adds to the tension of the action. Hanging off a plane while it takes off, scaling the Burj Khalifa, doing a Halo jump or stunt flying helicopters, if CGI'd, would ruin the action, people would probably say that it's a bit daft. If it was stunt doubled then that would also create 'odd shot and editing choices' as you say.

All power to the Cruiser and his team for wanting to attempt to do this stuff for real in an overblown wanky CGI world.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Operty1 on July 30, 2018, 02:28:25 PM
I disagree completely. Cruise doing all of the stunt work in these movies adds to the tension of the action. Hanging off a plane while it takes off, scaling the Burj Khalifa, doing a Halo jump or stunt flying helicopters, if CGI'd, would ruin the action, people would probably say that it's a bit daft. If it was stunt doubled then that would also create 'odd shot and editing choices' as you say.

All power to the Cruiser and his team for wanting to attempt to do this stuff for real in an overblown wanky CGI world.

I completely agree. There are more ludicrous and OTT stunts in other movies, but what makes these spectacular is the realism and seeing yer lead man performing the stunts.

Plus the fist fight in the bathroom is one of the best brawls I've ever seen in a film. I watched the whole thing grinning from ear to ear. Probably my favourite scene in the film.

Operty1

YES!! That was a great brawl, good to see both leads get their asses handed to them!!

Kane Jones

Quote from: Operty1 on July 30, 2018, 02:40:57 PM
YES!! That was a great brawl, good to see both leads get their asses handed to them!!

Absolutely, they basically got their fucking heads kicked in. I liked the bit where Cavill has had enough and takes his jacket off and kind of 'reloads' his fists.

colacentral

Quote from: paruses on July 30, 2018, 01:28:29 PM
There were a few too many bits in it that jarred me out of the moment  - I loved the HALO jump but had a blip before it all kicked off as to why they are the only ones in the back of the plane, and even if it was so secret only the two of them could be there then why did the pilot tell them they had 10 mins to the jump zone but not give them a weather report? Also Simon Pegg following the tracker thing - his screen has the decorative floor markings but no a depiction of a stair case? There are other things but it would be spoilers to mention them.

The whole thing in St Paul's though - the chase was fine but why the backstory of what was taking place? Does anyone think that there was some cutting done there?

Agreed - I really liked the film overall, but there were lots of almost surreal moments. It felt very dream-like in places (the sky dive being one of them - which also felt like a video game cut scene, and I mean that in a good way), perhaps intentionally so, based on how the film begins, the hospital room scene etc. I do wonder if you could argue that Tom Cruise is dead for the whole thing and it's all just a limbo dream quest.

EOLAN

Good stuff for what it is. For not a major action guy I was actually getting annoyed during the very rare slow things down scenes. As mentioned I enjoyed the fight. One in Paris bathroom and one at end cos it didn't show out that the protagonists were super energetic but at times they got worn down and genuinely looked out of their feet.

In the end I was over guessing the twists.

colacentral

I enjoyed the "just another day in the office" scene at the end, everyone stood around laughing at how close to armageddon they came for the umpteenth time. Just needed a freeze frame to complete the 70s TV show cliche.

EOLAN

Stupid post - tried to amend mine; instead quoted.

Ving Rhames certainly seems to have more comedy chops than Simon Pegg.

sprocket

As I'm very easily pleased, the highlight for me was Sean Harris being in Seine in a straitjacket.

kidsick5000

Vanessa Kirby as The White Widow is a great femme fatale.
She really sells that look of barely restrained lust she has throughout every encounter she has with Cruise.
That said, I find Rebecca Ferguson way more captivating.

Also, beyond all the astounding stunts (I think Imax really helps sell the Halo and the Copter stuff) this is an immensely beautiful film.
Much of the Paris shots are lush. Is that big rave a real thing? Obviously nothing dealing with that many people at that stage of night would have such nice bathrooms. There's a much less pleasant version of that fight somewhere in the ether.

I feel that Sean Harris with his beard could escape into an art gallery and disguise himself as a martyred saint.

Kane Jones

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 31, 2018, 11:31:50 AM
Vanessa Kirby as The White Widow is a great femme fatale.
She really sells that look of barely restrained lust she has throughout every encounter she has with Cruise.

She's my new celebrity crush. Unbelievably sexy. Gah.

Bad Ambassador

Tom Cruise, 56, looked hilariously out of place at that rave.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 31, 2018, 11:54:11 AM
Tom Cruise, 56, looked hilariously out of place at that rave.

Though oddly, he looks younger than the DJ - who is apparently a real fella called DJ Harvey

PlanktonSideburns

I like how on the poster he is falling out of a plane

I hope there's more scenes of him falling out of stuff

A cardboard box

A big oven

Favour with the local council

Second story window

Train

Giant boot

Dumbwaiter

You get the idea

Kane Jones

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 31, 2018, 12:17:35 PM
Though oddly, he looks younger than the DJ - who is apparently a real fella called DJ Harvey

He did an excellent mix compilation last year called 'The Sound Of Mercury Rising Compiled with Love By DJ Harvey'. Well, excellent if you like balearic house music.

paruses

Quote from: kidsick5000 on July 31, 2018, 11:31:50 AM
Obviously nothing dealing with that many people at that stage of night would have such nice bathrooms.

That was another suspension of disbelief problem for me although it was an excellent fight scene. Maybe the one in Atomic Blonde is the only one to rival it that I have seen lately.

I would have bought it more had there been an older north African man sitting in the corner watching dispassionately. He could have come in in the background at the end and pushed a mop around with resignation. Maybe offer them a squirt of Drakkar Noir for a euro.

EOLAN

Seeing the guy Cruise portrayed in American-Made, I thought Cruise looked far too young to play him; despite being about 15 years than the guy was when he died.

I do keep thinking when watching this and seeing snippets of other films; that the International Monetary Fund are so heavily involved in attempting to prevent the Nuclear destruction of  the world. Suppose they got to do something with their money.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That fight scene started to annoy me. The baddie got thrown through a wall and still managed to beat up Hunt and Walker. It's the same with the the climactic punch up against Mad Dog in The Raid.

paruses

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 31, 2018, 01:30:47 PM
That fight scene started to annoy me. The baddie got thrown through a wall and still managed to beat up Hunt and Walker. It's the same with the the climactic punch up against Mad Dog in The Raid.

Well, yes but isn't there always that with such stylized fight scenes? I didn't think it dragged on too long and I imagined I could do all of that shit if confronted in the bogs at Ritzy's.

I tell you what's become a signature move of late - that one where you sort of step up onto the person's thigh then onto their shoulders and bring them down to the ground, choking them with your thighs. I'm going to work on that one.

Standby for my attempt at disguising a spoiler:

I have a question about the setup and it's a sort of Chekov's gun thing - what happened to the needle with the drunk serum in it that got knocked out of  Hunt's hand? It seemed like it would come back into play but never did - unlike the gun dropping out and falling under the adjacent trap.

Replies From View

Is this the one with Ted Danson as Brian as Tom Cruise?

paruses

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 31, 2018, 01:52:30 PM
I thought it got broken.

Oh. Maybe it was that simple.

In that case - why did The White Widow and her brother have such different accents? I didn't like that either. Either they're both bland-poshos or (like him) have a regional accent that they've ironed out - in which case she would have sounded like someone putting on airs and been much less alluring.

kidsick5000

Quote from: paruses on July 31, 2018, 02:12:39 PM
Oh. Maybe it was that simple.

In that case - why did The White Widow and her brother have such different accents? I didn't like that either. Either they're both bland-poshos or (like him) have a regional accent that they've ironed out - in which case she would have sounded like someone putting on airs and been much less alluring.

Not that big a stretch. I seriously doubt that Max was a hands-on mother. I can easily believe that they had been shipped off to different schools around Europe. Who knows if they even had the same father.

TIAL

Empire have put out a 2h48m interview with the director Christopher McQuarrie. Really interesting stuff and he's very honest about the challenges that come with making such a beast of a film
https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/mission-impossible-fallout-spoiler-special-ft-christopher-mcquarrie-part-1

Bogbrainedmurphy

Quote from: Operty1 on July 30, 2018, 01:01:31 PM
Also, that was really Tom Cruise piloting the helicopter at the end and doing all the heli flying stunt work. The mad bastard spent 3 months doing 8 hour days getting his pilot license, clocking in 2000 hrs of flight time. He had to fly it, act, and film himself at the same time. Show off!!

Watched it last night, ludicrously good. Bloke should have died about 20 times!

The "That's right, prick." line from the helicopter was a highlight.

You know who else can fly a helicopter? Noel Edmonds.

Noel Edmonds.

Bad Ambassador

If it had been a chase between Noel Edmunds and Mike Smith, that might have been good. While Blobby tries to defuse a nuclear bomb and, I dunno, John Virgo or someone doing a fight on the Eiffel Tower.

Bogbrainedmurphy

Grant Mitchell disarmed a nuclear bomb in Ultimate Force, it's fuck all.

Quote from: Operty1 on July 30, 2018, 02:28:25 PM
Cruise doing all of the stunt work in these movies adds to the tension of the action.
Does it though? The stunts aren't being broadcast live and you know that he didn't die during filming. I don't think anyone can deny Cruise's commitment to providing a spectacle, but it doesn't really enhance the experience for me.

Operty1

There is a huge difference between using cgi for effects, over actual in camera physical stunt work by the actor. I find over use of cgi in action movies to be disengaging personally, and can also age a film quicker than in camera physical effects.