Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One TV series

Started by Alberon, July 23, 2018, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Thought this was better than updating the old 'Judge Dredd on Netflix' thread.

So here's a little news on the possible upcoming Mega City One series set in the world of Judge Dredd, but not focusing on him.

The pilot script is apparently finished. This is just about the whole article.

QuoteAs revealed by 2000 AD and Judge Dredd owners Rebellion at San Diego Comic-Con Saturday afternoon, preparation for the television series Judge Dredd: Mega-City One is progressing apace, with the news that the pilot script and plot for the show's first two years have been completed — and a name familiar to Dredd fans is attached to both.

Rob Williams, who has written the character for 2000 AD for years — including working on such important stories as "Trifecta," "Titan" and the "Enceladus" cycle — is the creative lead for the pilot for the show, which focuses on the authoritarian police force in the overcrowded giant city that encompasses the majority of the East Coast of the United States. He also worked with a group of writers on the plot for the show's first couple of seasons. Despite the title, Dredd will not be the sole focus on the show, which will instead be an ensemble drama.

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One was announced in May 2017, created in partnership between IM Global Television — headed up by former Syfy executive Mark Stern, who developed Battlestar Galactica and Defiance for the network — and Rebellion Productions, a newly created division of the company that owns the Dredd property. Rebellion creative director and CEO Jason Kingsley will act as executive producer on the show, with Brian Jenkins as series producer.

"It's been really exciting to be working with Rob on the pilot," Jenkins said in a statement. "We have a really talented team here at Rebellion Productions and I'm really proud of them. Jason and I have been busy looking at locations and laying out season one as we gear up, to move forward into pre-production."

Kingsley added, "I've read the pilot script by Rob and the team, and got that same thrill I did when I first discovered Judge Dredd. As we drive this project forward I'm always surprised by how much effort goes on behind-the-scenes to bring something like Mega-City One to the screen. I'm very pleased with how the whole project is coming together and looking forward to more exciting announcements in the coming months."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-writer-rob-williams-has-completed-judge-dredd-pilot-script-comic-con-1128980

Phil_A

Ah, good news. Williams is an excellent writer, and hopefully his involvement means we will get an appearance by Dirty Frank at some point.

surreal

This and the news that Duncan Jones (director of "Moon") is doing a Rogue Trooper movie gives me hope that the future is not just Marvel & DC derivatives.

Norton Canes

I read Trifecta for the first time a few weeks ago, stunning. Above all else I'm hoping they don't go back to Karl Urban to play Dredd.

magval

I like Rob. I've not read any of his 2000AD stuff but he's always got back to me on Twitter. Nice dude.

ZoyzaSorris

Yes!

Part of the motivation for me having a kid was so i could do things like have an excuse to revisit all the old 2000ad stuff.

St_Eddie

Quote from: surreal on July 24, 2018, 09:53:00 AM
This and the news that Duncan Jones (director of "Moon") is doing a Rogue Trooper movie gives me hope that the future is not just Marvel & DC derivatives.

Indeed.  I have absolutely zero interest in Marvel and DC but 2000AD is a favourite of mine.

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 24, 2018, 09:56:10 AM
Above all else I'm hoping they don't go back to Karl Urban to play Dredd.

Why so?

Norton Canes

He was great in the movie, but the series needs to move on and forge its own identity. No sense in harking back to something that will be seven or eight years old by the time it screens. This isn't going to be the Mega City 1 of the 2102 film, there's no sense in retaining the actors.

mothman

If they can find an actor willing to never show his face onscreen. Urban seemed to be down with that; would others?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 24, 2018, 05:00:43 PM
He was great in the movie, but the series needs to move on and forge its own identity. No sense in harking back to something that will be seven or eight years old by the time it screens. This isn't going to be the Mega City 1 of the 2102 film, there's no sense in retaining the actors.

But the series could easily be seen as Mega-City One, a decade on from the 2012 film.  The City in the film looked nowt like its depiction in the comics (no doubt due to budgetary constraints), so I always took it as being set early on in-universe and presumed that as time went by, the City would evolve to look more like its comic counterpart (or the Sylvester Stallone version, which was the best part of that adaptation, by a country mile).

Either way, personally I'd very much like to see Karl Urban return to the role.  He certainly seems game, so that's a positive, to me at least.

mothman

But then he'd have The Boys, and Dredd, and potentially two Star Trek films on his slate. Depends how busy he likes being.

Alberon

Rebellion (the owners of 2000AD) have bought a disused newspaper factory in Didcot to make the Mega City One TV series and Rogue Trooper film.

QuoteSix soundstages will be available at the 220,000 sq ft (67,000 sq m) site, creating 500 jobs. The complex is due to open in the spring.

The stages and production offices, situated near Didcot Power Station, will be available to makers of TV dramas and large scale films.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-46289086

monolith

Quote from: surreal on July 24, 2018, 09:53:00 AM
He also directed Warcraft, so....

gatchamandave

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 24, 2018, 05:00:43 PM

Ol' Stoney Face ? Yeah, get him back, he was too good to pass over and those Trek films aren't happening any time soon, if at all.