Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

University Challenge 2018

Started by Twit 2, July 24, 2018, 01:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 27, 2018, 10:54:31 PM
Good memory and wide taste account for a lot of it, nothing to do with intelligence.

I got those picture bonuses on paintings by members of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood purely because I have watched Desperate Romantics. Wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

Years ago I got the right answer to a question about Sierra Leone. I knew Valentine Strasser had been head of state from listening to Super Furry Animals lyrics.

EOLAN

I probably get about 10 answers I actually know and then might get a few educated guesses in on top of that. Mostly history, sports and if there are any old film or music questions.

Also; with a lot of questions such as "Which French composer....", or which "French artist painted..." I just then have to shout out a guess from a predetermined list of French people, so should get a few right. If there is a run of questions on a them such as romantic poets and you have one in mind; you might as well keep giving that answer for the three questions.

JesusAndYourBush

I don't know if the questions are more difficult than they used to be but I used to know one or two answers (usually the music ones) and occasionally guessed one or two, but lately a large amount of the questions leave me baffled.

Quote from: EOLAN on August 28, 2018, 12:43:58 PMI just then have to shout out a guess from a predetermined list of French people, so should get a few right. If there is a run of questions on a them such as romantic poets and you have one in mind; you might as well keep giving that answer for the three questions.

That reminds me of the irc channel #qwiz where they had a lot of wrestling questions, so a few of us had the stock answer 'The Rock' which was correct about 10% of the time.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I GOT " KNEECAP "  ( Amongst others. Didn't get " Black Mirror ", though ) !

Rich Uncle Skeleton

well Ohja's introduction was charming. :)

marquis_de_sad

He was the only one on that team to say his full name as well. Which is the correct thing to do.

gilbertharding

Beautiful moment when he failed to beat The Drummer out of Cheap Trick to the answer 'Rogan Josh' too.

(I don't know what I think about the introductions... the surname is there in black and white, so surely the cool thing is just to announce your given name. But is it too cool? Also, are you 'Reading' History, or just 'Doing' it? I mean, I DEFINITELY 'did' architecture...)

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 11, 2018, 09:55:00 AMAlso, are you 'Reading' History, or just 'Doing' it? I mean, I DEFINITELY 'did' architecture...)

The 'reading' thing makes me wish someone would introduce themselves something like "I'm Jack and I'm reading the Beano."  I'd be surprised if that hasn't been done already in some comedy show sometime.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 11, 2018, 09:55:00 AM
Also, are you 'Reading' History, or just 'Doing' it? I mean, I DEFINITELY 'did' architecture...

It's an Oxbridge thing.

Norton Canes

Isn't it 'reading' everywhere? I hate it when a contestant says 'doing'.

I'm 'reading' for an undergraduate degree. I'm 'doing' a big picture of a tree with felt pens.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 11, 2018, 12:00:46 PM

I've always said 'studying' so I assumed it's an Oxbridge thing. Maybe it's just old fashioned?

Emma Raducanu

Must admit, I've never heard anyone refer to it as 'reading' in real life.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 11, 2018, 12:00:46 PM

I'm 'reading' for an undergraduate degree. I'm 'doing' a big picture of a tree with felt pens.

'I'm reading Applied Recreational Pharmacology at St Groovies' was a line I used to try if asked an impertinent question by a 'Scarfo' (as we used to call them) when I lived in Cambridge. I was actually an estimator for a firm which made windows. I went to Formal Hall at Jesus once and spent more time than I expected explaining that 'you wouldn't have heard of it' in response to the question 'what school did you go to?'

As I say, I now have a BA in Architecture, for which I read a bit, wrote some, but drew a LOT. Threw them all away a few months ago, as it happens. Filled the wheelie bin.

Twit 2

Beret cunt.

Bit of a crazy episode that.

'Local derby'. FFS, Paxman.

marquis_de_sad

Two pretty bad teams. Goldsmiths ended up with a high score, but they were slow, and only did well because the University of Obnoxious Ponces were so rubbish. A more serious team quick on the buzzer would've wiped the floor with them.

Paxman's wink at the end summed up a weird episode.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I got all the sexy philosophers.

Yeah, that University of London In Paris team were fucking useless. I knew before he said it that the tosser who desperately buzzed in was going to say " synthesizers "  to the question that required the answer " harpsichords ".

Has this one been on again yet?

He delivered some of the best TV of 2018 in the following. All eyes on Howe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjj58dOz5OQ&t=1159s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjj58dOz5OQ&t=1467s

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 11, 2018, 09:55:00 AM
I don't know what I think about the introductions... the surname is there in black and white, so surely the cool thing is just to announce your given name. But is it too cool? Also, are you 'Reading' History, or just 'Doing' it? I mean, I DEFINITELY 'did' architecture...

name, subject. I'm not interested in the fact that you are originally from india but moved to leeds via stockholm & somewhere in the home counties. & fucking sit still.
they shouldn't be on swivel chairs.

& some of the things they claim to be studying...
there were two on the other week who were studying the atmospheres of exo-planets, apparently. that's a bigger skive than geography used to be, surely? a few hours a month on the telescope, doing best-effort spectroscopy, & then make the rest up.

Uncle TechTip

Who the fuck thought Monkman would make an engaging TV presenter.

pancreas

marquis_de_sad

Most of St. Peter's looked like they were in disguise.

Twit 2

Why did Braddock (scarf, Oxford) pronounce the opera The Marry-Ardge of FeeGARo? Bizarre!

Cooper needs to get in grave forthwith for that beret.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 28, 2018, 04:38:38 AM
there were two on the other week who were studying the atmospheres of exo-planets, apparently. that's a bigger skive than geography..........

I take it all back. sorry, lads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45707309

Blue Jam

Ross of Manchester is definitely not an ovah-provahlodged wonkah:

marquis_de_sad

Last night's was a good match, I thought. University of East Anglia were decent, Forde-Roberts especially was excellent, but they made a few silly errors and weren't able to capitalise on the Keble captain's tendency to buzz in early with incorrect answers.

Both teams had a star player (Keble: Pasternack, UoEA: Forde-Roberts) but the rest of UoEA couldn't quite pick up the pace.

marquis_de_sad

First of the highest scoring loser playoffs yesterday.

Based on their previous performance, not surprising who won. King's are a decent team and ended on a high score, but they just weren't able to get enough starters. They were also (maddeningly so during the second half) slow during bonuses. I have no idea why people faff around for a measly five points when they've got so much catching up to do. They ended the game with five points less than their losing score in the previous game.

The major error of the night was from the otherwise brilliant Emmanuel, who somehow thought that a team other than England won the World Cup final in 1966. Paxman didn't even notice.

marquis_de_sad

I seem to be the only one still watching this. Anyway, the last match was another good one, two very strong teams. Shame to see the League of Extraordinary Outfits from St. Peter's go, but the better side won. Emmanuel were really quick on a lot of starters, which put them ahead early on. I feel like St Peter's got a bit spooked after some incorrect interruptions and couldn't quite find their rhythm again, despite getting a lot of questions right.

Emmanuel's captain Cugini ended up in the Daily Mail the other day, as she was photographed protesting the Oxford Union's attempt to hold a discussion with the rotting corpse of Steve Bannon. The Mail didn't recognise her, though.

Twit 2

I watch it every week but sometimes forget to post. Yes, the latest one is a cracker.

im barry bethel

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 23, 2018, 02:09:00 PM
Shame to see the League of Extraordinary Outfits from St. Peter's go,

The captain's moustache was superb, as if he'd just stepped out of Calamity Jane, the fact he was from Tennessee confirming it

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: im barry bethel on November 23, 2018, 06:32:45 PM
The captain's moustache was superb, as if he'd just stepped out of Calamity Jane, the fact he was from Tennessee confirming it

One of the comments on youtube said something like, "Why has Williford come dressed as racism?"