Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

University Challenge 2018

Started by Twit 2, July 24, 2018, 01:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Twit 2

Did Paxman mispronounce 'eschew'? Think he did, the cunt.

mjwilson

Maybe there's a special posh boys pronunciation, like there was for 'Quixote'.

marquis_de_sad

Really wanted Manchester to lose that one. Their captain looks like a WWII traitor.

im barry bethel

Can't remember if he was the winning captain or losing captain but one of them had an irritating habit of rolling his lips together after answering, either way neither of the teams looked a winner

a duncandisorderly

I'm rather sorry to have seen the last of beret-girl, but. for all the reasons.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

(Bit unfair judging on face value but) she looked like if you hadn't seen her since she went to uni she'd be a fucking nightmare to hang out with when she came home during the holidays.

Great game this week, UCL seemed to be killing it then Mitkov pissed it away in a panic during two starter questions when the others started catching up. Was sorry to see them go.

Twit 2

Another good one tonight. I actually liked it at the end when the losing team's captain was braying the answers out in desperation. He knew he was fucked.

I wanted to find the winning team's captain annoying - there was just a touch of smug insouciance about him - but, fuck me, he knew a lot of shit, and quickly! Fair fucks mate. I do wish people like that would pontificate more quietly when they're conferring, though. Discussing the answers with your team in the same volume as you deliver them to Paxo is not good form. Pained whispers or GTF.

BlodwynPig

Yes, but he also made some mad fucking guesses when consulting with his team too

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 11, 2018, 10:37:42 AM
Yes, but he also made some mad fucking guesses when consulting with his team too

"Is the Marie Celeste a thing?" On a question about military vessels...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on December 11, 2018, 10:43:55 AM
"Is the Marie Celeste a thing?" On a question about military vessels...

Yes, and another that i forgot

Travis B

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 11, 2018, 08:30:32 AM

I wanted to find the winning team's captain annoying - there was just a touch of smug insouciance about him - but, fuck me, he knew a lot of shit, and quickly! Fair fucks mate. I do wish people like that would pontificate more quietly when they're conferring, though. Discussing the answers with your team in the same volume as you deliver them to Paxo is not good form. Pained whispers or GTF.

He was really good, but Christ he was self-satisfied about it. Fair enough I suppose but fucking irritating. Did anyone else think he was a bit 'handsy' with the women on each side?

Agree on the volume, conferring should done as if in a library.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Twit 2

I loved Hampson's total embarrassment at his fuckups. He had his head in his hands for ages at one point. I felt for him. The Murrucan woman was a bit overbearing but harmless. I sometimes think a guest like that works when they clash against the stuffy atmosphere of the show.

The Madonna bit was painful. Overall, an enjoyable car crash of a match.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on December 18, 2018, 05:49:59 PM
Isaksson was unbearable omg.

horrid.
"oh, she sounds LAME" about clara schumann or whoever it was. annoyingly they began to rally after that, just as I began hoping they'd get properly battered. at least they're out.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 14, 2018, 11:46:10 PM
Fuck's sakes Beaman... His teammates were probably all resisting the urge to facepalm...

I was amused by that, less so by his sneering at Golfino for knowing stuff about video games. You snob, Jezza.

Paxman acts a snob but it's al, without foundation.

Remember that his main job was journalist, someone who is meant to confront those in power.

Let's see how he did in the run up to the Iraq war......

" As far as I personally was concerned, there came a point with the presentation of the so-called evidence, with the moment when Colin Powell sat down at the UN General Assembly and unveiled what he said was cast-iron evidence of things like mobile, biological weapon facilities and the like...

"When I saw all of that, I thought, well, 'We know that Colin Powell is an intelligent, thoughtful man, and a sceptical man. If he believes all this to be the case, then, you know, he's seen the evidence; I haven't.'

"Now that evidence turned out to be absolutely meaningless, but we only discover that after the event. So, you know, I'm perfectly open to the accusation that we were hoodwinked. Yes, clearly we were."

I roll this quote out every now and again, just to remind us all that he's not the attack dog he's made out to be but in fact an establishment stooge giving the allusion that someone was on the side of truth.

This is why I never went on University Challenge, I'd not be able to just take the critiscism from that jumped up game show host.

Plus I'd be too old for it from the time he said what I've quoted.

And I'm not brainy enough to make if onto a team.

Twit 2

KennyMonster

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 23, 2018, 11:22:59 AM
I think this Will Self article nails both the virtues and limitations of Paxo:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/21/life-in-questions-jeremy-paxman-review

"Yes, it's Paxo's innate decency that makes him such a fearless interviewer –"

Self seems thave shown the same forlock tugging respect for the 'idea' of Paxman that Paxo showed in the run up to the Iraq war.

The spell that has been cast on most of us that there's a mainstream media trying to get to the truth for us continues.

Or maybe it's a religion that too many follow without criticism, the Father, the Son and the Gameshow Host.

a duncandisorderly

paxman's longest shadow is the one that dozens, hundreds of other tv & radio 'journalist' hacks now shelter in, whereby constant interruption, badgering , pretend-interrogation is the order of the day.

"I will have my answer, & you will deliver it as a 'yes' or a 'no', & hang your head in shame after the brow-beating I've given you"

which DNA can be traced back to the michael howard "did you over-rule him?" incident, actually a failure of the script-delivery mechanism & not as is popularly believed an "I'm going to get an answer out of this bloke" at all.

I don't dislike paxman... much... & to characterise him as a game-show host seems a little unfair, but his snootiness has become the standard MO for so many broadcast hacks, & that's a bad thing.

Travis B

Anyone watch today's Christmas edition? Jesus, Clarke on the Westminster team looks so pissed off to be there. If you're going to do it, don't look as though it's a huge imposition for you just to be there.

EOLAN

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on December 23, 2018, 08:13:11 PM
paxman's longest shadow is the one that dozens, hundreds of other tv & radio 'journalist' hacks now shelter in, whereby constant interruption, badgering , pretend-interrogation is the order of the day.

"I will have my answer, & you will deliver it as a 'yes' or a 'no', & hang your head in shame after the brow-beating I've given you"

which DNA can be traced back to the michael howard "did you over-rule him?" incident, actually a failure of the script-delivery mechanism & not as is popularly believed an "I'm going to get an answer out of this bloke" at all.

I don't dislike paxman... much... & to characterise him as a game-show host seems a little unfair, but his snootiness has become the standard MO for so many broadcast hacks, & that's a bad thing.

Wasn't the question "Did you threaten to over-rule him?". So everytime Howard said he didn't actually overrule Paxman was able to point out that wasn't the answer to the question asked.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: EOLAN on December 27, 2018, 04:44:50 PM
Wasn't the question "Did you threaten to over-rule him?". So everytime Howard said he didn't actually overrule Paxman was able to point out that wasn't the answer to the question asked.

whatevs. you know what I mean. the thrust of the thing is the same- an accident in the running of the show led to him repeating the question as though he had it in for Howard, when in fact he was just filling. now they ALL do it.

kaprisky

Interestingly Michael Howard was captaining the Peterhouse, Cambridge team in yesterday's episode. A tight game which I won't spoil if you haven't seen it. Tonight's episode has got Paul Jackson, Chris Addison and Nigel Lindsay. And Anne Dudley was on one of the other episodes too!

Travis B

Yesterday's programme had one of the most fucking irritating contestants in the form of Golfinos, the captain of Darwin College, Cambridge. He was good but Jesus, what a fucking tool.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Watching it now and christ I hate him already with his stupid little high fives. That biggie smalls bit was bloody awkward too.

Travis B

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 17, 2019, 09:18:41 AM
Watching it now and christ I hate him already with his stupid little high fives. That biggie smalls bit was bloody awkward too.

And the fist-bump with McPherson on the end, who at least had the grace to look embarrassed.

marquis_de_sad

Extremely awkward high-fiving. But Davis did say Puff Daddy.

Felt sorry for Downing, who were a pretty decent team, but just not quick enough on the buzzer, at least at the beginning. I'm sure everyone on here got their film bonuses, as well.

Overall, I hope Darwin don't win, which isn't very nice of me.

marquis_de_sad

Warwick v Bristol

This episode featured a bafflingly bad question that claimed Chinua Achebe was a Nobel Laureate. They obviously confused him with fellow Nigerian Wole Soyinka. The weird thing is the 'Nobel Laureate' part of the question was irrelevant to the bonuses that come after, which were about a different prize altogether.

im barry bethel

Floppy hair Bristol lad looked like he'd just been caught wanking with his mother's knickers after getting the second question wrong

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: im barry bethel on January 26, 2019, 07:25:03 PM
Floppy hair Bristol lad looked like he'd just been caught wanking with his mother's knickers after getting the second question wrong

I think this reveals more about you than him.