Author Topic: University Challenge 2018  (Read 5665 times)

Re: University Challenge 2018
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2019, 12:32:40 AM »
Just watched the Glasgow v Durham match from last week. I haven't watched today's match yet, but I've already heard that it has an interesting ending...

Glasgow's captain comes across very smug and is difficult to not hate. I'm sure he doesn't mean to, but still... Doesn't help that Glasgow weren't exactly on form in this match. They lost so many bonuses it was silly. Durham overall are a really solid team and deserved to win.

Surprised no one got Manichaeism.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

• Oh it's a whole flock of detectives.
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
I really want Darwin to go down in flames. Preferably with a meltdown or some bickering incident thrown in.

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 01:47:22 AM »
Watched the last match late again (Darwin v Bristol). Thought it was overall a bit dull until the end. I hadn't even noticed the score, as I just sort of assumed Darwin must be winning because of the number of starters they got. Turns out they got very few bonus questions right.

At one point I almost felt bad for disliking Golfinos before, but then he started awkwardly high fiving again. Also his tendency to buzz in early, wait a beat, say "um", then answer was fucking annoying. And cheating. Paxman lost patience with him in the end.

I'm glad Bristol won the match, but they weren't that good really. Apart from Iredale, they seemed pretty slow and uninspired. Sumner's incorrect buzz at the end was outrageous.

« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »

At one point I almost felt bad for disliking Golfinos before, but then he started awkwardly high fiving again. Also his tendency to buzz in early, wait a beat, say "um", then answer was fucking annoying. And cheating. Paxman lost patience with him in the end.

I know what you mean, he did rein it in a bit, but then back to his high fiving. At least they lost.

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:10 PM »
Last night's was good (Manchester v Edinburgh). Nice to have two teams where you don't find one of the contestants an irritant.

Twit 2

• Cheers, fuckface
« Reply #95 on: Today at 09:39:50 PM »
Leo, the German team captain of St Edmund Hall, Oxford, loudly pontificating like a prick. Had to laugh at him thinking late Beethoven was Stravinsky (although I suppose that’s a compliment to the forward-thinking harmony) and saying it sounded horrible. Tin-eared philistine cunt.