Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Room 101 Cancelled

Started by Bazooka, July 24, 2018, 11:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hecate

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 24, 2018, 09:45:25 PMIt's on YouTube but sadly it has been blocked in my country

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2018, 10:22:04 PMI hate it when that happens.

For next time, you can get around that by using this youtube proxy thing and choosing a server in a country that hasn't been blocked - https://www.proxysite.com/youtube/

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2018, 10:22:04 PM
So some cunt who didn't help fund the show, gets to watch it, whilst you, someone who helped to fund it, can't watch it.  Fuck off, Beeb.

this is why I put stuff on vimeo instead. it boils my piss. I pay £5/month so I can use iplayer in spain, on top of my £160/year fucking tv license, & then the twats go & hide stuff I've already fucking paid for. twats. also, the cheeky bastards sell DVDs of things I've already paid for. fuckers.

to the show: hancock>merton>skinner is vinyl>cd>mp3 to me, & read into that what you will, but they're in descending order of preference.

petril

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 24, 2018, 09:45:25 PM
It's on YouTube but sadly it has been blocked in my country on copyright grounds. My country being Britain, where I paid for the show to be produced with my TV licence

it was a Channel 4 programme, made by Andrew "Kappatoo" O'Connors' Objective Productions. No licence fee involved.

petril

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 24, 2018, 01:14:55 PM
I do recommend revisiting Sean Lock's TV Heaven, TV Hell (2006-07) on YouTube. Some real corkers there. Johnny Vaughan's episode is very funny.

Nick Hancock's was the first time I'd heard Fred West being used as a gag on television.

paruses

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 24, 2018, 09:45:25 PM
I remember really enjoying the Ricky Gervais episode. I think The Office had only just started. Probably unbearable now but I laughed a lot at the time.

It's OK - I have just watched the first half. There's some early signs of what he becomes in there - telling urban legends as true stories, the considerably-richer-than-yow persona. Also he puts charity days in backing it up with a bit about people being given bad news on Comic Relief day by someone dressed as a cartoon character (though Paul Merton tramples all over it - which at the time I remember being annoyed about but in hindsight I enjoy). The thing about that story is how it makes an almost carbon copy appearance at the end of the second series of The Office.

It's interesting how his material hasn't really evolved in the intervening years - the opening bit about children in restaurants would not have been out place in that recent Netflix thing almost word for word.

St_Eddie

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 24, 2018, 10:53:24 PM
it was a Channel 4 programme, made by Andrew "Kappatoo" O'Connors' Objective Productions. No licence fee involved.

Room 101 is a BBC production.  License fee most definitely involved.

Pranet

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 24, 2018, 10:39:14 PM
this is why I put stuff on vimeo instead. it boils my piss. I pay £5/month so I can use iplayer in spain, on top of my £160/year fucking tv license, & then the twats go & hide stuff I've already fucking paid for. twats. also, the cheeky bastards sell DVDs of things I've already paid for. fuckers.

to the show: hancock>merton>skinner is vinyl>cd>mp3 to me, & read into that what you will, but they're in descending order of preference.

It is remit related. I am not going to pretend that I know all the technical and legal ins and outs and how it exactly it works but the licence fee is for new programmes and current broadcasting. It would cost money - repeat fees, prs,  residuals etc which would presumably eventually take up the whole license fee if everything they ever produced was somehow available for free for ever. And also I don't know what rights they have over things produced for them by outside production agencies?

Pranet

Double posting idiot. A while since I've done that.

Pranet

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2018, 11:15:07 PM

It was made by Hatrick Productions. Like I said in the previous post I don't know exactly what that means for exploiting the IP in the future.

Pranet

Actually, sorry to go on, but I think the BBC actually have a legal duty to exploit their back catalogue so that they can put that money into current output.

a duncandisorderly

actually, I do know all that. I've worked in & around telly since 1984, & I understand about contracts, rights, repeat fees & all that bollocks.
I just like a good rant though.

the show I put on vimeo ('the island of the ghost bear') is a gorgeous little film about an island off the coast of canada where there is a small population of white bears that aren't polar bears. I had it on a fucked old vhs. looked for a better copy, couldn't find one. put it on yt, & within the hour, it was gone. when I dug around, it was a co-pro with the bbc & some german studio.

the point is, the rights issues around these things are burying good art.
fucking fuck that.
I'm not having it.
I'd be quite happy to chuck a fiver joss ackland's way so I can listen to his v/o again, if that's where this fucker's hung up, vis a vis repeats & home-video, but there's no way to do that. so I put it on vimeo. fuck them.

a duncandisorderly

thank you google- first fucking hit. get in.

https://vimeo.com/171463208

Pranet

Ok, sure, I didn't intend to be patronising, I totally agree that it is very annoying that a way isn't being found to find content which isn't going to make anyone any money available. It is just that bloody BBC sort of thing I thought I should counter. Obviously you have better knowledge than me and I am sure that that they should be doing specific things better. And believe me I am glad that other video websites for whatever reason are not as good as Youtube at taking down copyrighted content.

a duncandisorderly

every broadcaster makes a mess of sewing up rights, just as most other content publishers do; what suffers ultimately is the precious relationship between the artist & the consumer of that art. the bbc have a particularly tough time of it because they can't compete in the shark-infested waters of the free market; the closest they got was "producer choice" &, if anything, that just made things worse.
companies like hat-trick & talkback appeared around that time, & bbc production managers were allowed to wander into soho & use 'outside' facilities for the first time (my own employer at the time was on a very short list of 'preferred' edit facilities, & so we made the first few seasons of HIGNFY, food & drink & a load of stuff like that).

what's the point of thrashing out a contract that details every possible 'exploitation' scenario if the end result is the show is locked away in a cupboard because no-one can agree who gets what?
the record industry, traditionally catastrophically inept in this regard, seems to have managed a lot better: thirty years ago, when mates of mine were signing deals with labels, we'd see things that looked like science fiction in the small print ("any & all present or future distribution technologies" was one I saw, backstage at the leadmill with the stone roses); these turned out to be catch-alls for streaming & download services & are why danial ek (spotify) had to deal with the remaining major labels in order to get their back catalogue on his service.

but I digress.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Hecate on July 24, 2018, 10:38:14 PM
For next time, you can get around that by using this youtube proxy thing and choosing a server in a country that hasn't been blocked - https://www.proxysite.com/youtube/
Cheers for this. Had a quick skim of the Gervais one but it's mostly material we're all sick of now. Then I settled in for Johnny Vegas - much better.

olliebean

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 24, 2018, 10:53:24 PM

Channel 4 is publicly owned, so arguably a similar principle applies.

Utter Shit

I love Frank Skinner and didn't mind the new incarnation of Room 101 (mainly because of him), but I'm not really surprised it's gone - the switch from one guest to three took out all the guest's idiosyncracies, which were key to making the show work, and it became just another decent panel show. Tripling the number of guests meant including a lot more choices too, so nothing gets explored in any depth - making it not just difficult but basically impossible to get anything as brilliant as Johnny Vegas' hilarious bit on internet chat rooms, for example.

Also, not that it would have had any impact on the decision, but I feel like it's worth mentioning that the bit in the last series where Phil Wang talked about Tom Hiddleston wasn't just unfunny, it was really nasty and personal.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 25, 2018, 11:47:44 AM
Also, not that it would have had any impact on the decision, but I feel like it's worth mentioning that the bit in the last series where Phil Wang talked about Tom Hiddleston wasn't just unfunny, it was really nasty and personal.

Just watched that. It was refreshing to see something so genuine and somewhat uncomfortable on one of those shows for a change. I liked Stephen Mangan getting a shot in as well. It's very knowingly bitter, Wang is exaggerating for the purposes of the show.

Bazooka

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 25, 2018, 12:29:20 AM
actually, I do know all that. I've worked in & around telly since 1984, & I understand about contracts, rights, repeat fees & all that bollocks.
I just like a good rant though.

the show I put on vimeo ('the island of the ghost bear') is a gorgeous little film about an island off the coast of canada where there is a small population of white bears that aren't polar bears. I had it on a fucked old vhs. looked for a better copy, couldn't find one. put it on yt, & within the hour, it was gone. when I dug around, it was a co-pro with the bbc & some german studio.

the point is, the rights issues around these things are burying good art.
fucking fuck that.
I'm not having it.
I'd be quite happy to chuck a fiver joss ackland's way so I can listen to his v/o again, if that's where this fucker's hung up, vis a vis repeats & home-video, but there's no way to do that. so I put it on vimeo. fuck them.

I've seen that Ghost Bear doc, its brilliant.

Utter Shit

To me it just felt overly nasty and personal for the target he was going for, a blandly inoffensive actor. TBH it came across to me like Wang was being controversial to get a bit of coverage (he hyped the pick a lot prior to air on social media IIRC). I don't have a dog in this fight, being entirely indifferent to both Wang and Hiddlestone. Just seemed a real misjudgement of tone, better aimed at some of the genuinely nasty people in the world.

up_the_hampipe

Maybe I'm biased because I find those Hiddleston types to be overhyped, ubiquitous, smug and mediocre. So it's nice to see someone on TV not slobber all over them. There was some recognition of that in the audience too.

Billy

My personal connection to Room 101 is that I once contributed video footage to an episode. I was about 17 and they needed footage of infamous cable channel L!VE TV for an upcoming episode featuring Cilla Black - a weather forecast featuring Rusty Goffe on a trampoline, to tie in with a general "Weathermen" section. I had the footage on an old VHS which I'd uploaded online, they emailed me and a courier came around to pick up the tape, copy it over, and give it back to me - the footage was used and they paid me a hundred quid for the trouble, with a lovely thank you letter from Hat Trick as well.

Spent the money on DVDs and alcohol like all proper noughties teenagers.

the

Nice little earner. I'm presuming you'd uploaded it to Youtube in its infancy?

I guess it was encoded at well below broadcastable quality, hence courier and payment.

(Fast forward a few years and I suspect they'd just rip it from YT and use it without saying a word.)

Scarymole

Ignore me, I'm not concentrating today

the

*post moves down conveyor belt to the strains of Una Paloma Blanca*

Billy

Quote from: the on July 25, 2018, 01:03:24 PM
Nice little earner. I'm presuming you'd uploaded it to Youtube in its infancy?

I guess it was encoded at well below broadcastable quality, hence courier and payment.

(Fast forward a few years and I suspect they'd just rip it from YT and use it without saying a word.)

Yep, 2006 using the method of copying the clip to DVD and encoding it into terrible 240p .wmv quality in Windows XP's Movie Maker. Had all sorts of random stuff on there that had several thousand views (which was good for them days) until Endemol savagely deleted my entire account a year or two later because of a couple of clips of Deal or No Deal.

Could have uploaded everything again but most of it's on there today by other uploaders in far better quality.

Norton Canes

Always thought they missed a chance with John Peel, making his 'forfeit' to wear an Everton shirt. Should have been Man Utd.

Maybe he vetoed that.

Blue Jam

Quote from: paruses on July 24, 2018, 01:43:00 PM
The Jonny Vegas one was fantastic for Beauty's Castle  alone.

Me and Mr Jam used to live near a block of private student flats called Student Castle. Naturally we always referred to it as Beauty's Castle.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 25, 2018, 12:01:28 PM
To me it just felt overly nasty and personal for the target he was going for, a blandly inoffensive actor. TBH it came across to me like Wang was being controversial to get a bit of coverage (he hyped the pick a lot prior to air on social media IIRC). I don't have a dog in this fight, being entirely indifferent to both Wang and Hiddlestone. Just seemed a real misjudgement of tone, better aimed at some of the genuinely nasty people in the world.

You can sense some relief at the 'jealousy' reveal.
Tom Hiddlestone is far too much of an eager puppy for his own good and far too easily prompted into doing party tricks. The lad needs to go outside and do stuff so that he can get a few anecdotes under his belt.
If not, we need a team of crack blowpipe shooters, primed to sit among the audience of chat shows, poised, waiting for that fateful moment...
"Now Tom, I believe you can..." - *PFFT* - as the host slips back, startled, hand on neck.

petril

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 24, 2018, 11:15:07 PM

sorry, fucked that one up majorly and somehow thought you were on about TV Heaven, Telly Hell. Apologies