Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:03:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eric Idle

Started by TheMonk, July 25, 2018, 11:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 12, 2019, 12:42:34 AM
He is 75 years old. Give him a break, Noodles.

(Stewart Lee reference)
((but he did look quite depressed as he sat by himself waiting to be seated))
(((and fat as well)))

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

ToneLa

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The trouble is he's done nothing but crap since " The Rutles " ( in which he first used his transatlantic accent to call a coughing Dan Aykroyd an " asshole" ). " Splitting Heirs ", with its blatant " The Jerk " rip- off introduction is one of the worst films of all time, right up there with " Carry On Columbus" and " Gregory's Two Girls ".

Shaky

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 12, 2019, 05:03:13 AM
The trouble is he's done nothing but crap since " The Rutles " ( in which he first used his transatlantic accent to call a coughing Dan Aykroyd an " asshole" ). " Splitting Heirs ", with its blatant " The Jerk " rip- off introduction is one of the worst films of all time, right up there with " Carry On Columbus" and " Gregory's Two Girls ".

Don't you dare lump Carry on Columbus in with those two.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sorry to keep referring back to his book (it's not due back at the library yet, so it's right there in front of me), but the critical panning that Splitting Heirs got was the main reason he decided to move to California. Idle states, and I quote,

"Right that's it, fuck it, I'm leaving. If that's how you behave when someone brings eight million back to spend in the country, I shall take my flops to America, where they don't even mind if you are successful. The unexpected press response to my movie in the UK caused Universal to have cold feet about the American release, and they pulled back on the spending. I think a lot of the attacks on me were because they discovered I was fifty, and therefore by their reckoning too old for the lead."

This fucking arsehole asshole.

I'll stop now. Yes, that would be for the best, I think.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 13, 2019, 04:36:55 AM
"Right that's it, fuck it, I'm leaving. If that's how you behave when someone brings eight million back to spend in the country, I shall take my flops to America, where they don't even mind if you are successful. The unexpected press response to my movie in the UK caused Universal to have cold feet about the American release, and they pulled back on the spending. I think a lot of the attacks on me were because they discovered I was fifty, and therefore by their reckoning too old for the lead."

Imagine writing that without a sense of irony.  Fucking state of it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

To be honest Eddie, I wouldn't even let him in the house if he turned up right now, the way he's carrying on. There's a shed he could probably kip in, but THATS IT.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 13, 2019, 05:26:07 AM
To be honest Eddie, I wouldn't even let him in the house if he turned up right now, the way he's carrying on. There's a shed he could probably kip in, but THATS IT.

Perfectly reasonable, mate.  He can kip betwixt the hedge trimmers and the quarter full tin of cherry tomato paint, if he absolutely must.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

"A lot of the attacks" on your shit film was because it was shit, Eric. In terms of your age, casting a woman five years younger than you as your mum was also a bit of a dick move. Also, you acted like a cunt to Neil Innes, have you put that in your shit book ?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 13, 2019, 07:12:22 AMAlso, you acted like a cunt to Neil Innes, have you put that in your shit book ?

He briefly talks about it in chapter 5, 'I Acted Like a Cunt to Neil Innes'.

Jake Thingray

I take it his British projects that attracted little attention, such as Behind the Crease, the promised LWT version of which never happened, aren't mentioned either.

Bennett Brauer

TheMonk

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 12, 2019, 03:18:05 AM
(Stewart Lee reference)
(((and fat as well)))
I thought he came across as quite frustrated and a bit unhappy in that Meaning Of Live doco.
Like the rest of them were holding him back.
I still hate what he did with those big bloody glitzy showbiz musical numbers and trying but failing to make "I Like Chinese" politically correct, but making it completely unfunny in the process.
The only decent bit was Palin and Cleese mucking about.

Replies From View

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 12, 2019, 03:18:05 AM
(Stewart Lee reference)
(((and fat as well)))

Why was he waiting to be seated whilst sitting down?

RedRevolver

I really loved him as Ratty.

Anyway, try Steve Punt. He's physically the same man but not.

Jittlebags

All together now...

"Gonococcal urethritis, streptococcal ballinitis,
Meningo myelitis, diplococcal cephalitis,
Epididimitis, interstitial keratitis,
Syphalitic choroiditis, and anterior u-ve-I-tis."

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 15, 2019, 02:41:08 PM
All together now...

"Gonococcal urethritis, streptococcal ballinitis,
Meningo myelitis, diplococcal cephalitis,
Epididimitis, interstitial keratitis,
Syphalitic choroiditis, and anterior u-ve-I-tis."

Great song, that, but that's surely Chapman's writing (being a doctor and all), though that is one of those cases where Idle's cheeky-Cockney enunciation adds to the experience ("ballinigh-is" etc). Funnily enough, I was just listening to the Rule of Three episode about the Contractual Obligation Album this morning, which reminded me both of how much lingering respect I still have for Idle (as he produced the record) and how much of his... questionable ...judgement was already in place in 1980 (there being at least two other top-drawer Cleese sketches - "Memory Training" being one of them - that were left off in favor of "Do What John" or one of the other fillerish Idle tunes). Still, lifetime pass and all that - that seventies work remains undeniable.

Jittlebags

Aye, I listened to the album on Youtube having listened to rule of 3. That is a bloody good podcast. The one with Davey Jones on Leo Baxendale is lovely. And funny.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Replies From View on February 14, 2019, 12:50:28 PM
Why was he waiting to be seated whilst sitting down?

They have a little sofa to wait on.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jittlebags on February 15, 2019, 11:46:23 PM
Aye, I listened to the album on Youtube having listened to rule of 3. That is a bloody good podcast. The one with Davey Jones on Leo Baxendale is lovely. And funny.

There's also a really good episode of that podcast in which Kevin Eldon pays tribute to The Rutles: All You Need is Cash.