Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hypothetical

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, July 25, 2018, 12:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

As for the "celebrity guest," I stand by my previous comment. Derek Acorah added nothing. (And apparently they're going the cant-be-bothered-to-find-someone-who's-available-to-appear-in-the-studio-on-the-day route, which makes it even more pointless as there's no interaction with the pre-recorded guest.)

Small Man Big Horse

I quite liked James Acaster's interjections but thought Josh Widdecombe was awful, and opening with a Ed Sheeran joke was an appalling start. I thought Tom Allen was weak as well, Tarbuck didn't really say anything funny (and her bit on cults was actively boring) and bar Acaster only Knappett and Beckett made me laugh, and that wasn't particularly often. I might watch future episodes when they have a guest I like on but I doubt it'll ever be that good.

DrGreggles

I'm a big fan of Acaster's stand up, and he's generally been great on stuff like WILTY and Taskmaster, but this doesn't really work.
Just seems like a lazy excuse to get more Avalon acts on telly.

neveragain

Another shout out for Acaster's Netflix specials here! Changed my opinion of him quite positively.

Utter Shit

Yeah I wasn't impressed. It was just a bit boring really, despite a decent line-up. I'll give it another go as sometimes these shows can find a rhythm as they go on, working out what does and doesn't work...but I'm not especially hopeful. I know it's the obvious thing to say but it just pales in comparison to the fantastic Do The Right Thing so much.

rasta-spouse

Watching an HD version, I looked into Widdcombe's eyes as he read off the autocue and there was something unsettling about his slow and unsteady delivery. Is the lad ok? It's hard to know what work of his to dislike the most, the Last Leg, Insert Name Here, or now this. I'd like to see it with better guests...although it is moderately amusing that the grating Beckett and Hitman 47 went to the same school.

Being a huge "Acaster on tv" apologist I'll be giving it another chance.

gilbertharding

I watched most of this yesterday evening.

I thought it was a good idea to have two hosts, because Josh Widdecombe sitting there apparently bewildered and tediously unfunny really played to his strengths as a performer.

Was the set literally recycled from the recent John Richardson Room 102 show, or did it just look like it was?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 06, 2019, 10:22:02 PM
This isn't very good.

I thought the same.  At the first commercial break I bailed, turning over to BBC2 to catch the end of "Insert Name Here" but discovered it'd been cancelled for the football, so turned back again and endured the full hour.  Maybe it'd be better with different guests.  And different hosts.

gilbertharding

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 07, 2019, 04:54:00 PM
I thought the same.  At the first commercial break I bailed, turning over to BBC2 to catch the end of "Insert Name Here" but discovered it'd been cancelled for the football, so turned back again and endured the full hour.  Maybe it'd be better with different guests.  And different hosts.

Forces TV is showing reruns of Gerry Anderson's masterpiece UFO at 10pm - you could do worse than watch that, I'd say.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 07, 2019, 04:54:00 PM
Maybe it'd be better with different guests.  And different hosts.

Do the right thing podcast is proof of that I think.

Get in pit dave

EbbyVale

I enjoy many things that people here don't, as I have really low standards. 

This did not meet them.

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't bother it with last week but watched last night's episode and quite enjoyed it. Mainly because I was fond of the guests, with Sara Pascoe, Ed Gamble and Lou Sanders coming up with a lot of funny moments. And Nish Kumar was also present, and didn't actively annoy me, so hey, that was something. The hypotheticals were more interesting, Josh Widdecombe not too much of a twat, and Acaster was on form, so it made for a fairly decent show. It's not something I plan to watch every week but I'm going to keep an eye on who the guests are and if they're people I like I'll watch it.

the second and third episodes were better than the first because it felt like they were more comfortable with each other as a group of mates and contemporaries. No idea why they chose the first episode to lead with and not one of the others

MigraineBoy

Series 2 starts February 5th.  The trailer features fleeting glimpses of some of the guests - Richard Ayoade, Zoe Lyons, Jamali Maddix & Jonathan Ross make an appearance this time around while Sara Pascoe, Tom Allen, Rob Beckett & Lou Sanders all get invited back.