Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:46:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Yeah, not a nice fella by all accounts. One of the most influencial wrestlers to the modern style though. I'm fine with people praising his ability.

sevendaughters

I met DK and he was hilariously awful in the flesh, but I don't need wrestlers to be role models. Wrestling just doesn't work as a liberal pursuit full of the noble, ultimately.

up_the_hampipe

Dynamite was awful to the point where I don't think he deserves kind words just because he stopped existing. It's fine to watch and enjoy his matches, but seeing him be honoured in any way doesn't seem right. It's like Benoit, who was massively inspired by Dynamite, both professionally and personally it seems.

Ja'moke

Smackdown was really enjoyable again last night. Decent matches, logical storytelling, fun characters. Simple and effective. The women's division and tag team division are strong as fuck. And I'm absolutely loving extreme-vegan heel Daniel Bryan.

Meanwhile, I haven't watched the last two episodes of Raw outside of a few clips on YouTube. Read the results and it just sounds terrible. I have no interest in seeing Lucha House Party squash The Revival every week or watching Drake Maverick piss himself.

sevendaughters

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 05, 2018, 12:40:19 PM
Dynamite was awful to the point where I don't think he deserves kind words just because he stopped existing. It's fine to watch and enjoy his matches, but seeing him be honoured in any way doesn't seem right. It's like Benoit, who was massively inspired by Dynamite, both professionally and personally it seems.

I will always have a begrudging respect for someone who put themselves through the pain barrier for good art, I can't explain or justify it, I just always have liked self-destructive people even if they're hateful in real life. Classic older generation guy who came up hard and felt, for whatever reason, he had to put that on others.

Moribunderast

Ospreay vs. Ibushi is official for Wrestle Kingdom. That card is bananas.

Omega vs. Tanahashi
Naito vs. Jericho
Okada vs. Switchblade
Ospreay vs. Ibushi
Ishii vs. Sabre Jr.
Kushida vs. Ishimori

Though with 6 singles matches that will all deserve 15+ minutes and then a bunch of tags, the show may still be going by the time New Year's Dash is meant to begin.

Deanjam

Big Cass collapsed at an Indie show last night. Taken to hospital, but seems okay now.

Quote from: Moribunderast on December 09, 2018, 11:27:48 AM
Omega vs. Tanahashi
Naito vs. Jericho
Okada vs. Switchblade
Ospreay vs. Ibushi
Ishii vs. Sabre Jr.
Kushida vs. Ishimori

Great looking show. Should smash last year out of the park. Although I'm still not convinced on Switchblade. Seems a waste of Okada.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on December 09, 2018, 01:21:33 PM
Big Cass collapsed at an Indie show last night. Taken to hospital, but seems okay now.

Classy response from Enzo https://twitter.com/real1/status/1071907681517142016

sevendaughters

WK looks good, really hyped for the main event, the most I've been up for a single match in a long old time actually. Lot of the wrestling should be can't miss across the card but it's missing the edge that a Shibata or someone who can fight would bring, something a bit hateful and less concerned with DAVE.

hummingofevil

I think Naito Jericho and Okada Switchblade have potential to be all out wars. Nasty fucking battles. I'm not excited for any match in particular but the way NJPW builds a card with different styles of matches means I'll probably be wetting myself come 4/1. I've given NJPW world a miss lately so time to get back into it and get excited.

Moribunderast

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 10, 2018, 11:06:32 PM
I think Naito Jericho and Okada Switchblade have potential to be all out wars. Nasty fucking battles. I'm not excited for any match in particular but the way NJPW builds a card with different styles of matches means I'll probably be wetting myself come 4/1. I've given NJPW world a miss lately so time to get back into it and get excited.

Same. I took a bit of a break from NJPW over the past two months, mostly because I couldn't possibly follow the Jnr Tag and World Tag tournaments. G1 and New Japan Cup and maybe the Super Juniors are the only times I can devote THAT MUCH TIME to the pro-graps. I'm starting to get pumped up for this show, though, and I'm loving that it's on a Friday. The best part for me, as an Australian, is that Japan has very close time zones so unlike WWE/NXT where their live shows are midday Sunday or Monday, NJPW shows air live for me in the evening and I can watch them with alcohol, as wrestling was intended.

Naito/Jericho I reckon will be really nasty. Maybe some juice involved. I'm excited for that as Jericho has yet to disappoint in NJPW. I'm almost more excited to see what he does/if he does anything on New Year's Dash the following night. Maybe his year of fun in NJPW will be enough and he'll leave but I could easily see him attacking Okada or someone to set up another feud. You know he has to want to wrestle Okada and Tanahashi while he's there.

It's a shame (in many ways) that Hiromu is still seriously injured because if he were nearly better but yet to be seen, I'd love a wrasslin' angle before Tokyo Dome where Jericho beat the shit out of him in hospital or at home or something ridiculous.

Moribunderast

I just watched the famous Omega/Ibushi match from DDT. Holy hell. Amazing match but waaay too dangerous. Despite knowing both men are alive and well in 2018 I still thought 3 separate times that one or both had died. For fuck's sake, Ibushi does the move that broke Hiromu's neck off the top rope!

I now have very good context for why they agreed to never wrestle one another again.

Swoz_MK

Is it me or is this overly harsh even for WWE? Big Jim only passed 4 months ago.

sevendaughters

just listening to DAVE and Bryan teeing off on Raw, sounds like hell.

I am sure Naito/Jericho will be bloody but I guess I mean nasty in a more legit/menacing sense.

Deanjam

Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 11, 2018, 10:03:46 AM
Is it me or is this overly harsh even for WWE? Big Jim only passed 4 months ago.

These angles never sell. No idea why wrestling insists on doing them. People watch wrestling for escapism, not to be reminded of dead parents.

Raw was weird. Vince having Seth admit the show has been terrible lately and the ratings are lousy was a bizarre public admission. Then they just had Corbin all over the show once again.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on December 11, 2018, 02:43:53 PM
These angles never sell. No idea why wrestling insists on doing them. People watch wrestling for escapism, not to be reminded of dead parents.

Raw was weird. Vince having Seth admit the show has been terrible lately and the ratings are lousy was a bizarre public admission. Then they just had Corbin all over the show once again.

It would be barkingly amusing if they (he - Vince) tries to somehow rewrite history where Raw being absolute dogshit is all a work and we, the fans, are the mugs who fell for it. Let's be fair this company has the longest record of self-agrandising, in-denial bullshit of any major organisation outside of government.

Moribunderast

Watching this week's NXT and I noticed something extremely annoying: have they always cut canera angles on every single strike? I noticed it during the Ricochet match and, once I did, it became almost unwatchable to me. Have I just never noticed or is it new? It may literally render the show unwatchable for me now that I can't unsee it.

Quote from: Moribunderast on December 13, 2018, 09:53:29 AM
Watching this week's NXT and I noticed something extremely annoying: have they always cut canera angles on every single strike? I noticed it during the Ricochet match and, once I did, it became almost unwatchable to me. Have I just never noticed or is it new? It may literally render the show unwatchable for me now that I can't unsee it.

For a fair number of years now, probably since they started shooting in HD.  Only thing that's worse than the camera cuts is the crash zooms.  I think they did it in case you saw that the blows didn't actually connect.  In any case it's easily solvable by training your wrestlers to throw decent working punches.

Z

Lapsed Fan's WCCW rundown still going strong, glad to hear they're so pro-Kevin Von Erich, any time I ever saw any WCCW I was like "...Kevin is by far the most charismatic and entertaining of these guys, yet they're going on about everyone else instead?"

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 27, 2018, 12:04:21 PM
Massively disagree with that. He had something special going back to his time in developmental, long before NXT became what it is, he was a standout. His mic skills can be excellent and he has the ability to put on great matches, despite some silly punches and a habit of phoning it in (for the sake of his health, I'm sure). Creative just can't seem to figure him out, so they made him a cartoon and now just a typical heel.
I'd put some of that on him too, guy doesn't seem to give much of a shit?

hummingofevil

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on December 13, 2018, 12:07:47 PM
For a fair number of years now, probably since they started shooting in HD.  Only thing that's worse than the camera cuts is the crash zooms.  I think they did it in case you saw that the blows didn't actually connect.  In any case it's easily solvable by training your wrestlers to throw decent working punches.

TBF it was mentioned on WOL that its probably young directors sharpening their skills for the Kevin Dunn style they would be expected to use on the main roster; and that in a recent Riddle match it actively distracted from the very real belting they were giving each other.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Z on December 13, 2018, 11:52:35 PM
I'd put some of that on him too, guy doesn't seem to give much of a shit?

Again, watch his Chronicle episode. He seems to care a lot about what he's doing. Just because he has a laid back personality doesn't mean he's lazy. Let's not just parrot Austin.

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on December 13, 2018, 12:07:47 PM

The crash zooms during Asuka's kendo stick attack on Charlotte and Becky on this week's Smackdown were genuinely nausea inducing.

Z

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 14, 2018, 09:46:01 AM
Again, watch his Chronicle episode. He seems to care a lot about what he's doing. Just because he has a laid back personality doesn't mean he's lazy. Let's not just parrot Austin.
Lazy's maybe the wrong word... passive? It does feel like he's bring fuck all to the creative and is just going along with whatever horrible shite they write him.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Z on December 14, 2018, 12:50:41 PM
Lazy's maybe the wrong word... passive? It does feel like he's bring fuck all to the creative and is just going along with whatever horrible shite they write him.

He probably has more freedom than most, he puts his twist on anything they throw his way. Everyone on that roster has to go along with what they're told though, even if it's horrible, even if they fight.

Dannyhood91

Quote from: Swoz_MK on December 11, 2018, 10:03:46 AM

After what they did with Eddie, Reed Flair and Paul Bearer, no this sadly doesn't upset me like it should.

Oh and the shit they pulled with Pillmans wife too.

Ja'moke

Deanjam

Can't wait to see what he thinks will bring back viewers.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on December 14, 2018, 11:07:09 PM
Can't wait to see what he thinks will bring back viewers.

Himself, clearly.

Mobius

Can't wait to cheer the guy who has been serving us a shit sandwich every Monday.

WWE have released Nick Miller of TM61. They've really lost their buzz since injury. Wasn't so long ago they were having great matches with AoP in the Dusty Classic.

Got to suck to get released now considering they're signing literally anyone, and a double whammy when they announce your partner is remaining as singles star.