Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:58:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on January 09, 2019, 01:19:25 PM
I quoted your post that I was responding to. Your actual words. The words you said. You said that " the show isn't aimed at you.". Please read my post properly.

No, you didnt quote my post, you quoted one line from the post and missed out my entire explanation for it that followed, just reacting to that single line out of context. So yeah, please read my post properly.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Deanjam on January 09, 2019, 01:16:10 PM
No. That's nothing new. WWE already covers medical bills for wrestling related injuries. It's the general non-wrestling health problems that no one in wrestling covers.

Wrestlers for WWE are self-employed though arent they, so they dont kind that kind of medical insurance where it looks like AEW are going to make the wrestlers actual employees of the company so they can get coverage.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 11:54:44 AM
Thats just the fanboy in you reacting. I never said real wrestling fans dont watch WWE, as I said, if you are a wrestling fan there is stuff in WWE for you to enjoy, its just not aimed at you, hence you liking only bits and pieces of it instead of most or all of it. Fucking hell, and people say I don't read posts. They are a mainstream company trying to attract non-wrestling fans as wrestling fans already watch, they dont need to appeal to you as you'll keep watching regardless and just watch  he bits that interest you (as you have been saying over and over). So is that really so outrageous a statement?

It could be argued that the opposite is true. TV ratings dropping off a cliff, house shows barely breaking even despite the huge increase in ticket prices and merch in last few years. WWE is playing to its hardcore fans and for all of the talk of social media numbers and all that bollocks they have a receptive audience that is not casuals.

It's in their corporate minds that they think they got wider influence when in fact they are just trying to get more money from smaller and smaller loyal fan base. Of course $2billons might make this issue come to a head sooner rather than later.

Wrestling fans are crazy loyal and plenty of people are "fans" of one organisation over another. It's just Vince thinks he's bigger and better that the T-shirt shilling carnival act that they all are.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 09, 2019, 01:30:37 PM
It could be argued that the opposite is true. TV ratings dropping off a cliff, house shows barely breaking even despite the huge increase in ticket prices and merch in last few years. WWE is playing to its hardcore fans and for all of the talk of social media numbers and all that bollocks they have a receptive audience that is not casuals.

It's in their corporate minds that they think they got wider influence when in fact they are just trying to get more money from smaller and smaller loyal fan base. Of course $2billons might make this issue come to a head sooner rather than later.

Wrestling fans are crazy loyal and plenty of people are "fans" of one organisation over another. It's just Vince thinks he's bigger and better that the T-shirt shilling carnival act that they all are.

Oh for sure wrestling fans are loyal, I went for about 20 years with out missing a single Raw or PPV, thats what I mean when I say they dont need to appeal to the fans because they're going to tune in anyway, doesnt matter if the product is good, bad or ugly, as long as there is wrestling on the show they'll be there. At least that's the case when theres no competition which there hasnt been since the Monday Night Wars which is a big reason why Raw and Smackdown have declined the way they have.

Deanjam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 01:27:51 PM
Wrestlers for WWE are self-employed though arent they, so they dont kind that kind of medical insurance where it looks like AEW are going to make the wrestlers actual employees of the company so they can get coverage.

Lance Storm said WWE covers medical bills for in ring injuries and has been since he wrestled there. He'd know better than me.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 11:58:28 AM
Anything other than watching WWE through laziness, basically. Of course theres more to wrestling than fighting or we'd all be watching MMA. And the fact you love all that stuff about wrestling makes it even more odd you're so into WWE when they regularly do so many of those things so badly. Actually, its probably because you watch the matches in isolation that you can enjoy them because their storylines hardly ever make sense on a week to week basis.

Yeah, there's no point responding after this. You're clearly not reading my posts. You're cherry picking posts like I apparently cherry pick WWE content.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 09, 2019, 01:39:55 PM
Yeah, there's no point responding after this. You're clearly not reading my posts. You're cherry picking posts like I apparently cherry pick WWE content.

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 09, 2019, 10:27:12 AM
I said I cherry pick Raw

No 'apparently' about it, mate.

madhair60

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 07:41:46 AM
And you just sound like the worst kind of mark. Rationalizing things away so you can keep selfishly watching, that's the pathetic part.

QuoteAll those guys and gals you love watching (...) are suffering because of you, the shitty things they have to endure, the shitty matches, the shitty promos, the shitty storytelling, are all because marks like you can't bring yourself to turn the TV over

QuoteOK, time to explain like you're 5 why WWE isn't aimed at wrestling fans. Seems such a simple concept and I can't believe it has to be explained, but here we go.

QuoteDo I really need to draw the parallels with WWE? Sorry, forgot who I was talking to, of course I do.

Can't get over this shit

Swoz_MK

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 01:36:17 PM
I went for about 20 years with out missing a single Raw or PPV

What changed this?

Timothy

QuoteAt least that's the case when theres no competition which there hasnt been since the Monday Night Wars which is a big reason why Raw and Smackdown have declined the way they have.

The in ring action now is miles better then it was during the Monday Night Wars imo. The Attitude Era is overrated.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 09, 2019, 01:56:42 PM
What changed this?

The general decline of the show, mainly. I got sick of getting excited at the prospect of an entertaining storyline only to watch them royally fuck it up. Got burned too many times. 3 hour RAWs really didnt help either. I stopped watching Smackdown years ago when it stopped going live, stopped with RAW a year or 2 ago, then stopped with the PPVs until I just had the big 4. Now I dont even bother with the recaps.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:03:22 PM
The in ring action now is miles better then it was during the Monday Night Wars imo. The Attitude Era is overrated.

Id agree the Attitude era was overrated, when you back now theres an awful lot of shit there. But there was also Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, Mick Foley, Undertaker, the in ring action and characters in general were a lot better than they are now. They had to take risks and try different things in order to get ahead. Now that they are ahead and no one is chasing them they dont need to take those risks and end up repeating themselves. It all feels a bit bland now.

Timothy

The in ring action now is better then it was during Attitude Era Raw's. Everything NXT does blows most of that stuff out of the water.

Now to think of it during the Attitude Era your X-Factor analogy might also have made more sense.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 01:45:05 PM

No 'apparently' about it, mate.

Yet you choose to ignore that I watch full episodes of Smackdown, NXT and NXT UK. And that I also cherry pick New Japan and Impact.

BeardFaceMan

very nostalgic stuff, this thread. reminds me of when I was 12 and people would argue for hours and write lengthy posts insisting about whether WWE or TNA was better

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:14:32 PM
The in ring action now is better then it was during Attitude Era Raw's. Everything NXT does blows most of that stuff out of the water.

Now to think of it during the Attitude Era your X-Factor analogy might also have made more sense.

Well again, I cant speak to NXT as I've never watched it, I'm just talking about Raw and Smackdown.

See, now I think the opposite.  In the Attiude Era they were absolutely trying to appeal to the wrestling fans because they were competing with a rival wrestling tv show, if their show didnt appeal to the fans then they could go watch Nitro instead. When WCW ended that took away that option for fans so if they wanted to watch wrestling they had to watch WWE or nothing. So thats why WWE doesnt need to appeal to the fans, theyll always be there. Or they will be until some viable competition appears.

Timothy

During the Attitude Era they trying to get casual viewers to watch and used gore, blood, people shouting swear words, ludicrous characters and divas to get them.
Nowadays they appeal to the wrestling fans.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 09, 2019, 02:23:30 PM
very nostalgic stuff, this thread. reminds me of when I was 12 and people would argue for hours and write lengthy posts insisting about whether WWE or TNA was better

Yes, how dare people come to a discussion thread to discuss something they are interested in. Even though that isnt what is being argued here. Hey ho.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:27:48 PM
During the Attitude Era they trying to get casual viewers to watch and used gore, blood, people shouting swear words, ludicrous characters and divas to get them.
Nowadays they appeal to the wrestling fans.

Oh theyve always tried to appeal to the casuals, thats why theyve always had celebrities at Wrestlemania. But they didnt have the fans in their pocket during the Attitude Era like they do now because the fans had somewhere else to go for a wrestling show, now they dont.

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 09, 2019, 02:30:11 PM
cool it, it's just an observation

As is mine, all cool here.

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 02:32:03 PM
Oh theyve always tried to appeal to the casuals, thats why theyve always had celebrities at Wrestlemania. But they didnt have the fans in their pocket during the Attitude Era like they do now because the fans had somewhere else to go for a wrestling show, now they dont.

That's also nonsense. There are way more alternatives now then there were back then.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:39:57 PM
That's also nonsense. There are way more alternatives now then there were back then.

Not on US network television, airing at the same time as them. What are the alternatives now for the casual?

So you think the WWE had the fans in their pocket when they were losing the MNW and they werent trying to appeal to wrestling fans but now that they have no competition the fans are their main concern? Yeah, youre clearly just doing a poor attempt at trolling now, shame.

Timothy

I give up. Can I tag someone else in here? J'Moke? Utter Shit? Anyone? :P

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:45:56 PM

Thank fuck for that. Worst faction ever.

Timothy

It's pointless discussing with someone who is not only clueless and unnecessary harsh and passive agressive but also doesn't bother to read other people's comments. ;-)

Anyway. Will NXT UK Takeover be on the Network on Saturday?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:45:56 PM

I gave up in the end.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:49:02 PM
It's pointless discussing with someone who is not only clueless and unnecessary harsh and passive agressive but also doesn't bother to read other people's comments. ;-)

Funny, thats just what I was going to post.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 09, 2019, 02:50:55 PM
I gave up in the end.

I am the true Iron Man, Rey Mysterio has nothing on me, Rumble here I come!

Timothy

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 09, 2019, 02:50:55 PM
I gave up in the end.

Wise decision.

Are we going to do another WWE PPV poule this year? Might be fun to set that up.