Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:52:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 02:52:44 PM
I am the true Iron Man, Rey Mysterio has nothing on me, Rumble here I come!

Did you just reference WWE? Dude, are you not a proper wrestling fan, bro? You know it's fake, right? Watch NJPW for the real shit!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 09, 2019, 03:15:23 PM
Did you just reference WWE? Dude, are you not a proper wrestling fan, bro? You know it's fake, right? Watch NJPW for the real shit!

No, Iron Man is Tony Stark, Rey Mysterio is from AAA and I was of course talking about Rumble Wrestling Promotions. I'm no fucking mark!

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 02:26:25 PM
I cant speak to NXT as I've never watched it.

Life's too short to argue on the internet about whether WWE appeals to "proper" wrestling fans.  Watch an episode or two of NXT's excellent weekly episodic broadcast instead.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on January 09, 2019, 03:32:25 PM
Life's too short to argue on the internet about whether WWE appeals to "proper" wrestling fans.  Watch an episode or two of NXT's excellent weekly episodic broadcast instead.

Well again, I'm making no distinction between 'proper' or 'real' fans, that's just something everyone else is doing. I'm just talking about their mainstream flagship shows trying to appeal to the mainstream instead of trying to appeal to a niche audience they already have. I agree, from what I've heard NXT might be exactly what I'd like in a wrestling show, I'm forever hearing how amazing peoples runs are in NXT only for them to get booked like utter dogshit when they called to one of the main shows. And I'm sure there's a good chance I'd enjoy it. But I don't really want to support WWE as a company any more, so I don't, I'd rather give my money to other people for a while.

Me too.  I don't pay a penny to WWE's coffers anymore due to the same things you don't.  But I'm not missing on a great show, so I watch it in another place where you could watchwrestling.  Give it a try.

Deanjam

Any interest in a Royal rumble sweepstake this year? No karma points for prize but it might make the show more fun. If there's enough interest I'll do a draw and start a seperate thread.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on January 09, 2019, 02:49:02 PM
It's pointless discussing with someone who is not only clueless and unnecessary harsh and passive agressive but also doesn't bother to read other people's comments. ;-)

Anyway. Will NXT UK Takeover be on the Network on Saturday?

Yep. It will be airing live at 7pm I believe.

Quote from: Deanjam on January 09, 2019, 03:51:57 PM
Any interest in a Royal rumble sweepstake this year? No karma points for prize but it might make the show more fun. If there's enough interest I'll do a draw and start a seperate thread.

Yes!

Timothy

Quote from: Deanjam on January 09, 2019, 03:51:57 PM

Absolutely.

And thanks! Might start my Network for three months for free then after all.

Deanjam

Right chaps!

Royal Rumble sweepstake thread is here:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=71119.new#new

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 09, 2019, 03:24:22 PM
No, Iron Man is Tony Stark, Rey Mysterio is from AAA and I was of course talking about Rumble Wrestling Promotions. I'm no fucking mark!

You know your shit, man. You pass this time, but if you cross me again, I'll V-Trigger your ass! (signature move of Kenny Omega, real name Tyson Smith).

Z

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 09, 2019, 02:23:30 PM
very nostalgic stuff, this thread. reminds me of when I was 12 and people would argue for hours and write lengthy posts insisting about whether WWE or TNA was better
Jesus, I thought you were like 40 for some reason... Probably the username.

Timothy

For the people that missed the Jericho announcement:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JpH7Ge3aA

Still baffled by how they handled that.

Gonna be weird not to see a Jericho match on Mania. With Batista and HHH out they really needed him.

Timothy

They also removed a lot of his merchandise from the WWE shop.

Ja'moke

Jericho wasn't at last year's Mania was he?

WWE's roster is so stacked that they really don't need any legends at Mania.

Golden E. Pump

I'm sold. I'll watch AEW for Jericho. I think they need Kenny Omega though.

up_the_hampipe

Bryan is killing it. Best thing in WWE by far, even though that's not saying much.

up_the_hampipe

Sometimes I forget how brilliant New Jack was at promos. This is excellent https://twitter.com/RVDinator/status/1083167071670882306?s=19

A right rotter as a human being though.

Ja'moke

Eva Marie is going on Celebrity Big Brother USA. Not quite as exciting as Johnny Mundo on Survivor (he had a really good showing).

Ja'moke

WWE opening performance centre in the UK: https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-ushers-in-the-opening-of-the-state-of-the-art-uk-performance-center

Dunne, Bate and Seven announced it on Good Morning Britain earlier. Piers Morgan nowhere in sight, probably so he didn't have to answer to three vegan brutes.

Utter Shit

Ja'moke

According to Meltzer, WWE went hard after Cody, Page, and the Young Bucks.

"Paul Levesque worked hard at getting all four into WWE. Page was offered main roster money to work NXT, where he'd have been pushed as one of its top stars. The Bucks & Cody were offered strong deals. The Bucks deal was for money roughly the same as WWE champion A.J. Styles, which would have also included BTE being made a regular weekly show on the WWE Network, as well as something I've never heard WWE concede on, which was a six-month window where they could have left their three-year contract if they wanted and weren't happy with their push."

Utter Shit

WWE are really shitting it about this haha. Great news for fans, WWE will actually have to work at putting out a decent product.

Timothy

Not convinced that AEW is gonna work. Fans seem to have unrealistic expectations already. If they won't be really great from the get go they'll gonna have trouble getting of the ground.
The rally was awfully presented and a very bad idea in general. They have a lot of work ahead if they even want to consider to be competition to WWE.

I hope I'm wrong because WWE needs competition. But I wouldn't be surprised if it won't last longer then a few months and we'll see Cody and the Bucks jobbing on RAW in 2022.

Timothy

I mean, the official All Elite Wrestling Twitter account is ALREADY tweeting about articles with titles like ''The company disrupting wrestling and WWE, explained''.

Don't go after WWE. Don't make this about AEW VS WWE. That's what nearly killed TNA. Focus on your own company. Not on the competition.

They don't even have a TV deal yet!!!!

Ja'moke

I bet they already have a TV deal, just waiting to announce it at the most opportune time. I don't see the likes of Jericho coming on board, and all these big money contracts being offered, without a TV deal in place.

mikeyg27

In the short to mid term AEW is going to affect Impact, ROH and NJPW a lot more than WWE. Honestly, the status of the AEW-NJPW relationship will be the most important story in wrestling for the next few years, because if they don't get along then that's a big problem.

Moribunderast

Quote from: mikeyg27 on January 11, 2019, 05:41:05 PM
In the short to mid term AEW is going to affect Impact, ROH and NJPW a lot more than WWE. Honestly, the status of the AEW-NJPW relationship will be the most important story in wrestling for the next few years, because if they don't get along then that's a big problem.

My feeling is NJPW are basically tied to ROH until the MSG show and will then look at working with AEW. Whilst they would normally be loyal to ROH, I can see the fact that they're now run by Meij (who is less beholden to cultural norms) and they want to keep access to Omega meaning they team up with AEW. Jericho's contract already stipulates he can work for both. The thing that I don't see noted often is AEW aren't just competition for ROH/Impact/WWE - they're competition for NJPW. They are literally targeting the same fans and going after the same piece of the pie that New Japan was hoping to grab with it's US expansion. Obviously it will be great if all parties can come to working agreements but I could understand why New Japan might not.

Timothy, I wouldn't worry about AEW only lasting a few months. That's silly. There's lots of money behind it and the Khans won't want it to be a failure - they'll give it every chance to succeed. If in 2/3 years time ratings are in the toilet and they aren't seeing return on investment, then maybe they'll cut bait but remember they've signed Cody and The Bucks to FIVE YEAR contracts. They see this as a long-term thing.

Timothy

I expect Omega to debut at the rumble. Vince signing Omega with a massive contract just to mess with AEW.

Months might be a bit much but Im still not sure. Hope they prove me wrong.