Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,402
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

I'll bet you a nice crisp pound note that isn't going to happen. For good for bad the one thing the AEW guys have in common is they really, really don't want to work for Vince. Yes they have positive reasons to try their own thing but there are negative reasons too.

Timothy

I take that bet! If you are right I buy you a beer at NJPW UK.

Mojo said in an interview that every wrestler will have a special dugout entrance at the Rumble. Sounds cool.

Z

Gonna mention again, this Lapsed Fan WCCW run is great stuff. It's kinda hard to fully grasp how utterly terrible Fritz comes across in documentaries that blitz through years of misery in 2 hours.

Ja'moke

Apparently AEW hit a guy selling Omega merch on Red Bubble with a copyright claim. I think all signs point to Omega joining AEW once his New Japan contract is up at the end of the month.

I hope the company does well and I think it has lots of potential. I certainly don't think it will fold within a few months. There is too much money behind it and a lot of talent.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on January 11, 2019, 09:15:37 PM
I take that bet! If you are right I buy you a beer at NJPW UK.

Mojo said in an interview that every wrestler will have a special dugout entrance at the Rumble. Sounds cool.

Deal. :)

hummingofevil

Quote from: Z on January 11, 2019, 09:28:06 PM
Gonna mention again, this Lapsed Fan WCCW run is great stuff. It's kinda hard to fully grasp how utterly terrible Fritz comes across in documentaries that blitz through years of misery in 2 hours.

Thanks for updates. I am listening to these but it's so vast I just get distracted.

Z

When does Smackdown go to Fox? AEW probably wouldn't exist on the scale it looks to without that deal occurring so I'd imagine they'll want a TV deal locked down before that starts cos if ratings suck that could drastically Impact their tv opportunities.

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 11, 2019, 10:30:24 PM
Thanks for updates. I am listening to these but it's so vast I just get distracted.
1985 is the Mike Von Erich year and they've just started into it

Ja'moke

Deanjam

Quote from: Timothy on January 11, 2019, 09:03:02 PM
I expect Omega to debut at the rumble.

Omega's contracted to NJPW until the end of January. So Omega at the Rumble is the one thing we know isn't going to happen.

Quote from: Timothy on January 11, 2019, 04:42:35 PM
Don't make this about AEW VS WWE. That's what nearly killed TNA. Focus on your own company. Not on the competition.

This I completely agree with. Make yourself as profitable as possible, thats what matters.

hummingofevil

The really weird thing about wrestling is just how rubbish the viewing figures are anyway. With the billion dollar deals in US Vince is expected to get a few million viewers. 5 million eyes would be an amazing rating.

WWEs US viewin figures would probably get you cancelled in this country and we got 1/7th of the population. I appreciate there is a huge amount of competition and they relatively do quite well compared to other shows (and have guaranteeed TV 52 weeks a year for ever) but I'm amazed the advertisers and networks pay so much.

To me this works both ways for AEW. If WWE's ratings are dropping like a stone and they getting paid billions of dollars then surely there are other networks willing to pay a few hundred million dollars for an alternative. If it was me I'd stay well clear of it altogether and TV/streaming finances seem to be one big bubble waiting to burst (unless you Amazon with huge business outside of TV).

I wonder how much they got China on their mind for AEW. Be interesting to know how the merch deal they've signed works. Surely AEW / The Khans will be getting a cut now of The Elite merch and if this took off with a Chinese fan base you could be talking mega money.

Intersting....

hummingofevil

For comparison FOX plays NFL $600million a year to WWE $200million but NFL can pull in up to 25million viewers at a time for big games and ridiculous numbers for Super Bowl.

Z

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 12, 2019, 12:59:56 PMbut I'm amazed the advertisers and networks pay so much.
Historically, and as far as I'm aware still now, wrestling makes absurdly low amounts from advertising, typically targetting the kinds of demographics that can be targeted a thousand different ways
It's much more about maintaining the station as one thats on in as many houses as possible than anything else.

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 12, 2019, 01:06:44 PM
For comparison FOX plays NFL $600million a year to WWE $200million but NFL can pull in up to 25million viewers at a time for big games and ridiculous numbers for Super Bowl.
That's for about 3 months a year though, isn't it? so it's more like 12 times as much

hummingofevil

Quote from: Z on January 12, 2019, 06:29:36 PM
Historically, and as far as I'm aware still now, wrestling makes absurdly low amounts from advertising, typically targetting the kinds of demographics that can be targeted a thousand different ways
It's much more about maintaining the station as one thats on in as many houses as possible than anything else.
That's for about 3 months a year though, isn't it? so it's more like 12 times as much

Excellent point which makes the WWE money seem a bit more reasonable.

If anyone usually skips the Lance Storm / Bryan show on Filthy Four its well worth a listen. Lance has more than a few good points about all things AEW and puts Bryan in his place (well as much as anyone puts Bryan in his place) about Carmella. It's a good listen.

Ja'moke

Just got back after TakeOver UK. One of the best live shows I've been to in a long while. Had a sore throat before the show began due to cold, now have barely any voice.

Timothy

Damn jealous!!!! That show was amazing! Must have been pretty cool to be there live!

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on January 12, 2019, 10:16:27 PM
Damn jealous!!!! That show was amazing! Must have been pretty cool to be there live!

WALTER pop was insane.

hummingofevil

NXTUK looked great. On top of everything else that is good about it, it is so nice watching TV wrestling from beautiful and distinctive buildings and not just identikit arenas with the same set.

hummingofevil

I love the Meltzer but what the fuck was he on about re: Toni Storm on his NXT review? Some odd idea that she's best thing since sliced bread but she needs to change her gimmick before WWE ruin her by changing her gimmick. The women's match at NXTUK was absolutely fine and crowd popped hard for her and as a developmental brand of a developmental brand it's way better than it has the right to be (within the weird logic of the WWE world where the main roster is meant to be the... erm.., Elite?)

Edit: if I'm being super picky Rhea Ripley is a bit clunky around the transitions but her powerhouse stuff is great and she's got a great look for main roster. Maybe the chemistry wasn't quite there but to watch that match and think there is a problem given both of them are developmental (again within weird WWE world where both are experienced) is odd.

p.s. Tyler Bate is an absolute beast. He should be a mega star and soon.

—-

I wonder how NXT contracts work. Be fascinated to know if WWE has priority in moving them up to main roster or whether there is a loophole where they could in principle jump ship if ROH or AEW offer them deals.

Moribunderast

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 14, 2019, 02:24:21 AM
I love the Meltzer but what the fuck was he on about re: Toni Storm on his NXT review? Some odd idea that she's best thing since sliced bread but she needs to change her gimmick before WWE ruin her by changing her gimmick. The women's match at NXTUK was absolutely fine and crowd popped hard for her and as a developmental brand of a developmental brand it's way better than it has the right to be (within the weird logic of the WWE world where the main roster is meant to be the... erm.., Elite?)

Edit: if I'm being super picky Rhea Ripley is a bit clunky around the transitions but her powerhouse stuff is great and she's got a great look for main roster. Maybe the chemistry wasn't quite there but to watch that match and think there is a problem given both of them are developmental (again within weird WWE world where both are experienced) is odd.

—-

I wonder how NXT contracts work. Be fascinated to know if WWE has priority in moving them up to main roster or whether there is a loophole where they could in principle jump ship if ROH or AEW offer them deals.

I just listened and I don't think Meltzer had a problem with the match. His point was Storm should be on the main roster now but if they keep her in development for ages she should prepare a new gimmick because the cool and young thing has a limited shelf-life. I think his argument was WWE should be capitalising on her now as opposed to having her in NXT.

gmoney

I can't fathom how talented he is at his age. Everything he does looks amazing. I think he's better than Pete Dunne, and I love Pete Dunne.

Deanjam

NXT deals are just WWE deals for less money. Someone like WALTER can work shows in Germany and such as he doesn't want to go to America full time, but I dont think anyone can just up and leave for ROH or AEW.

Ja'moke

Just watched the Nigel McGuinness doc on the Network. As always with these docs, surperbly put together. And this one is epsecially brilliant and sad.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 14, 2019, 09:59:30 PM
Just watched the Nigel McGuinness doc on the Network. As always with these docs, surperbly put together. And this one is epsecially brilliant and sad.

Have you ever watched the ROH Liverpool match against Bryan? It's the stupidest wrestling match I think I've seen and I've seen that ridiculous street fight with Murder clown at last year's Triplemania where everyone was eating glass. The dualing headbutt spot is even more dumb for the instinct of the crowd (and me) to absolutely pop for it whilst they giving each other brain damage.

Ja'moke

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 14, 2019, 10:22:56 PM
Have you ever watched the ROH Liverpool match against Bryan? It's the stupidest wrestling match I think I've seen and I've seen that ridiculous street fight with Murder clown at last year's Triplemania where everyone was eating glass. The dualing headbutt spot is even more dumb for the instinct of the crowd (and me) to absolutely pop for it whilst they giving each other brain damage.

I've only ever seen clips of it, which they again showed in this documentary. It seems absolutely nuts.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 14, 2019, 11:43:20 PM
I've only ever seen clips of it, which they again showed in this documentary. It seems absolutely nuts.

https://vimeo.com/243003979

Its here if you want to watch it. It gets all headbutty about 26 mins in. Think that Shibata headbutt that nearly killed him and ended his career but loads of it (starting with them pulling each other's heads into the uncovered ring post and then having a headbutt fight). Again, just like Shibata it is completely stupid because there was absolutely no need for it and they were great without it. Listen for the fella in the crowd when Nige splits his head open. It really is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen a wrestler do.

Ja'moke

Quote from: hummingofevil on January 15, 2019, 01:50:49 AM
https://vimeo.com/243003979

Its here if you want to watch it. It gets all headbutty about 26 mins in. Think that Shibata headbutt that nearly killed him and ended his career but loads of it (starting with them pulling each other's heads into the uncovered ring post and then having a headbutt fight). Again, just like Shibata it is completely stupid because there was absolutely no need for it and they were great without it. Listen for the fella in the crowd when Nige splits his head open. It really is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen a wrestler do.

Thanks!

Are you referring to the bit where Bryan rams Nigel's head into the ringpost multiple times until he's bleeding? They surprisingly showed that in the doc!

up_the_hampipe

So, Balor vs. Brock at the Rumble. About time! Should be a good bout, or a carbon copy of his matches with AJ and Bryan at least.

Otis interrupting the Heyman interview was so silly, but if they keep doing this, it might actually get him over? The crowd seemed to find it funny.

Also, Alexa topless. #WomensRevolution

Deanjam

All those NXT debuts on Raw were very randomly done. No attempt to make anyone seem a bit deal.

Finn is a huge upgrade on Braun. Agree that they'll follow the blueprint of Brock's matches with AJ & Bryan. Would love for Finn to win but don't see it happening.

Those Women's tag belts are better looking than the usual main roster stuff, but still a step down on the NXTUK belts.

Was a pretty eventful Raw with the IC title change as well.

Ja'moke

The Rumble card looks amazing:

Murphy v Hideo v Tozawa v Kalisto (CW Title)
Ronda v Sasha (Raw Women's Title)
Asuka v Becky (SD Women's Title)
AJ v Bryan (WWE Title)
Lesnar v Balor (Universal Title)

Plus your Men's and Women's Rumble matches. Oh, and Shane & Miz v The Bar for the SD Tag Titles.

Timothy

Good RAW for the first time in weeks.

Bought two tickets for RAW London but travelling from Holland to London is going to be a hassle.
Were 70 pounds each. Lower tier. Aisle seats.

If anyone is interested send me a PM. No idea how Stubhub works and how I could sell them otherwise and they won't give refunds.