Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 15, 2019, 10:24:31 AM
Thanks!

Are you referring to the bit where Bryan rams Nigel's head into the ringpost multiple times until he's bleeding? They surprisingly showed that in the doc!

Yeah. That will be Vince coveting his arse on the concussion lawsuits then. Look at what they do in OTHER companies. It wasn't me yer honour.

hummingofevil

Ha ha. Sorry. My typing on here is woeful. Need to go back to using laptop.

hummingofevil

I'm not sure if it's been widely discussed but the way they should go with NXTUK is keep the current roster together for a while yet, have Dunne and Walter properly feud whilst somehow keeping both strong and then build to a Walter vs Bate feud. Take their time with it all but it genuinely excites me thinking what mad shit Bate and Walter could get out of each other. Would make NXTUK absolutely unmissable stuff.

Ja'moke

WALTER and Bate wrestled at Progress' Wembley show last September. Fantastic stuff. Would love to see them feud in NXT UK.

Mobius

Check out Rey vs 'Andrade' on today's Smackdown, one of the best telly matches in yonks even with ad breaks

Ja'moke

Raw and SD were both really enjoyable this week. I like the way they're introducing the new NXT call-ups, and I like this whole camera following the action from one scene to the next. It's a simple change but one that is massively effective. That opening of SD, from Becky arriving in her car, then interacting with the New Day/Heavy Machinery, then following her to the ring, promo segment with Asuka and then into those matches with the Iconics, and then AJ coming out just before Becky and Asuka came to blows. It all flowed really well.

hummingofevil

The Becky throat-punch thing that's doing the rounds on Twitter gave me genuine big LOLs

Timothy

Cody said that AEW wont have writers.

This is gonna be fun. Really sink or swim.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on January 16, 2019, 09:52:29 PM
Cody said that AEW wont have writers.

This is gonna be fun. Really sink or swim.

I guess he means script writers rather than bookers though. Did you listen to the Bryan Alvarez interview with Jimmy Jacobs about the writing process in WWE? Was really interesting. WWE has two teams of dozens of writers planning pretty much every aspect of the show to the word (and to the frame - camera edits and on screen banners all planned meticulously and all goes through Vince).

Jimmy Jacobs then explained how Impact has 4 writers and everything is much more loose. Not necessarily better or worse but different. I would suspect AEW will be more like this model with storylines and feuds booked but talent free to develop their own promos and commentators without a Vince in their ear. Pretty much what every other wresting company ever has done.

TBH given the way he talks on F4D if I was Cody I'd be giving Lance Storm a ring and seeing if he wants some kind of backstage consultant role. The man talks a lot of sense on a lot of things.

Also nice tease in that interview that Cody has a "good relationship" with Jim Cornette. He's stated on his podcast that he isn't looking for a full time thing but having him involved, especially if it was as some kind of anti-AEW flippy shit old schooler (maybe as someone else said with The Revival or similar) counterpoint to the cosyness of it all, could be great fun.

BeardFaceMan

That just sounds like they'll be letting wrestlers do their own promos rather than deliver scripts, call matches in the ring, that sort of thing. WWE is definitely over-produced in that respect, you're just getting one mans vision, the wrestlers are not allowed to showcase their personality like they used to so it all feels a bit samey.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 17, 2019, 01:39:49 AM
That just sounds like they'll be letting wrestlers do their own promos rather than deliver scripts, call matches in the ring, that sort of thing. WWE is definitely over-produced in that respect, you're just getting one mans vision, the wrestlers are not allowed to showcase their personality like they used to so it all feels a bit samey.

The really daft bit is how much talent they got that can do it too. It was again discussed by Jimmy Jacobs that most wrestlers like having other people help them out with promos if they got to come up with something new every week (so its not all crazy Vince ruining everything) but watching likes of Daniel Bryan and Kevin Owens' go off script is the best.  I wonder how much input, if any, the writers have over the Twitter accounts. Becky is hilarious and I know they have been allowed to feud on there by Vince but wonder if any of it is scripted or not.

madhair60

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 15, 2019, 11:51:51 AM
Also, Alexa topless. #WomensRevolution

Ugh. What a disgrace. It's 2019.

(Googles it feverishly)

Ja'moke

Meltzer stuff from today's WON:

"The Revival, after their win over Kalisto & Metalik on the 1/13 Raw, while still in their gear, asked for their release. As of press time they haven't been given their release. The word we got is that nobody who asks for their release right now is expected to be given it for obvious reasons."

"After the Bandido situation, WWE has made it clear, at least for certain people, that they will beat anyone's offer for talent, although they did not do so in the case of Chris Jericho. WWE has told people if you can show on paper an offer from another company, they'll beat it, even double it on the spot provided you sign immediately."

"Ilja Dragunov heading to WWE's NXT UK brand."

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 17, 2019, 01:39:49 AM

I'm just afraid that the big wrestling fan with the money is gonna control everything and we are left with a dire product.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on January 17, 2019, 04:13:30 PM
I'm just afraid that the big wrestling fan with the money is gonna control everything and we are left with a dire product.

Here's the full Cody interview: https://www.sescoops.com/aew-not-hiring-writers-cody-interview/

He says the wrestlers will be the writers. They'll mostly work off bullet points and let the wrestlers do their thing. He also wants to focus on long-term storylines, not just one night shows. So I imagine they'll be using a New Japan-type formula.

Quote"We're talking bullet points, we're talking an overall knowledge of the business, and hey, let them go out and play. Take a look back at the wrestling you and I love. For the most part, they're all grown men and women doing what they were hired to do. They've cut their teeth, they've paid their dues and now they're going to go out there and play their music. I would very much like a presentation that mirrors that. We don't need to micro-manage and we certainly don't need to script a great deal of the product we're planning."

"This is probably going to be an unpopular thing to say, but I will say it. There won't be a writer hired for All Elite Wrestling any time soon. Because wrestlers are the writers. We're the writers. Like I said with guys going out there and playing their own music, believe me – the day comes that I see 'this is something we can really benefit from' – absolutely, but I knew 40 writers in WWE and about 4 of them actually did anything. The reason I remember them and value them, they helped produce pre-tapes, they were team players, so right now that's one thing we've gotten a lot of questions about. We're keeping it very in-house for now."

up_the_hampipe

It's a tricky thing, just makes me think of WCW. This would probably be a bad idea 20 years ago, but the current generation of wrestlers seem considerate enough to not let their egos interrupt putting out the best product they can.

Timothy

I don't know. Depends on who they hire. All In was good and all that, but booking a weekly (or monthly or whatever) show is a entire other world.

I just hope that the investor doesn't get too much say.

mikeyg27

New Japan don't do weekly TV, and they also often spend large portions of the year only really concentrating on one thing at a time (G1, BOSJ, Tag League), which is something that I'm not sure translates either. Now if AEW are going for a more 'real' vibe then they don't really need a writer's room, but they're at least going to need a Gedo-like booking whizz (for continuity editing if nothing else).

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on January 17, 2019, 05:04:40 PM
I don't know. Depends on who they hire. All In was good and all that, but booking a weekly (or monthly or whatever) show is a entire other world.

I just hope that the investor doesn't get too much say.

He's head of creative, so I imagine he'll have quite a big say. But who knows, maybe he'll have some good ideas. He probably knows more about wrestling and what works than a lot of the soap writers that WWE hire. Though having some writers with experience of working on a TV show might help in certain aspects.

Whatever happens, this is a very exciting time for wrestling, with WWE, AEW, ROH, and even MLW and Impact, all signing people up left and right. It finally feels like WWE has less of a stranglehold on wrestling, there are now viable alternatives for wrestlers and fans.

Timothy

Yeah. The investor being head of creative and no writers...
Still hope they make it work but those are pretty bad signs.

Wcw 2.0

hummingofevil

We just got to wait and see. All this early speculation about how good AEW will be (or not) is wasted energy really. The no writers thing is fine. They do need a head booker though. Like I said I'd have a lance Storm.

I watched Smackdown yesterday and TBH as great as some bits were it was offset by some truely awful stuff. Jury is out but no way am I sitting through shite like that Usos storyline on a regular basis.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on January 17, 2019, 05:33:25 PM
Yeah. The investor being head of creative and no writers...
Still hope they make it work but those are pretty bad signs.

Wcw 2.0

You just seem overly pessimistic towards AEW. Sounds like you hope it will fail.

Timothy

Nah, that would make no sense. I like to see it succeed. I like to see another great company that does something different then WWE, and I like to see WWE step up their game to make sure they don't lose viewers.

But there have been so many broken or unfulfilled promises from companies over the years, and now with the investor being head of creative, no writers, them retweeting and talking about articles where they go head to head with WWE, the poorly produced rally and Cody just basically saying everything he knows the hardcore fanbase wants to hear I've lowered my expectations.
I rather be surprised and happy when they succeed then disappointed when they don't.

Ja'moke

The no writers thing isn't a problem... or at least doesn't have to be on paper. Wrestling companies have and do succeed without them. And it's not as if WWE have been putting out riveting television with their team of 40 writers.

Bullet points is the way to go. If they were hiring a team of writers I'd be worried it'd be too similar to WWE.

Deanjam

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on January 17, 2019, 10:09:25 PM
Aye.

I probably wouldn't have recognised Dain on his own. It's only because I know he and Nikki have been a couple for years.

AEW needs to learn from the recent mistakes of WWE and match the current watchable storytelling of Lucha Underground. Essentially wrestling is good vs. evil, David vs. Goliath. If you can't book that and try to be too clever than nobody beyond the smarks will care. I don't think 5 star Meltzer ratings will be enough. It needs to be a good show to even reach WCW level.