Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:08:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

Jericho posited to Vince an interpromotional match, IC champ vs IC champ, him vs Rollins at Summerslam

Jericho has long struck me as having a solid head for business. Didn't he come up with Money in the Bank? His endless reinvention shows a great wrestling mind. Would love to see him get into booking or promotion one day.

No idea what the New Japan side was to this idea but Vince said NO. He never changes: you don't mention the competition

up_the_hampipe

Vince didn't say no, did he? I thought Jericho said Vince seemed excited about the idea but it didn't go anywhere, presumably because Ambrose was ready to come back so Rollins had a more appropriate storyline.

BeardFaceMan

The only way Vince is going to have a wrestler representing another fed,  even if its a wrestler he consideds his own like Jericho, is if he gets to embarass the fed somehow, I certainly cant see him portraying NJPW and WWE as any kind of equals or put another promotions title over on his show. His ego wouldnt allow that, I could maybe see HHH going for it but I think Steph would take after her old man.

Ja'moke

Jericho only came up with Money In The Bank in kayfabe, I believe.

Anyway, TakeOver Brooklyn IV tonight! Looks like a stellar card, even if it is a little disappointing that Black got injured. I was looking forward to the dynamic of the triple threat match (you know there would have been a short DIY reunion to take out Black). I'm sure Ciampa v Gargano in a Last Man Standing will still be great, but I'm not sure where else they can take things after the last two brutal encounters.

Shayna v Kairi match should be fantastic. I really enjoyed their match in the MYC final, and Shayna has improved a lot since then, so expecting this one to be even better. TUE v Moustache Mountain always deliver. Cole v Ricochet bound to put on an instant classic. And Dream v EC3 could be a fun one - I don't rate EC3's in-ring ability that much, but these two both know their characters really well and know how to play up to a crowd.

Maybe a Matt Riddle debut too?

New Jack

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 18, 2018, 04:47:23 PM
Vince didn't say no, did he? I thought Jericho said Vince seemed excited about the idea but it didn't go anywhere, presumably because Ambrose was ready to come back so Rollins had a more appropriate storyline.

S'pose, but it's not Yes... I'm glad Ambrose returned to a big pop, he's maybe my favourite WWE guy (well, it's probably Bryan but I want D-Bry to get a push again, and Styles is fucking ace).

I don't think it's put off. I think it's never going to happen.

Looked up the exact quote:
"I pitched it, got a decent response and never heard a word again"

Rumoured to be back in June, so a decent amount of time has passed.

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 18, 2018, 05:17:25 PM

Was a genuine question: I know the storyline, but he's given seemingly non kayfabe interviews about the idea, although what he pitched was a bit more low key.

Don't know if Coach's show was a work?

https://m.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-jericho-reveals-why-he-invented-money-in-the-bank-match

--

NXT tonight could be exciting. I'd love Riddle to debut

BeardFaceMan

Im sure Jericho mentions he legit came up with the idea in of his books.

Ja'moke

You could be right. I've read all his books too!

BeardFaceMan

Its been a while but im sure I've read him talking about actually coming up with the idea amd his books seem pretty honest for a currently employed guy so if it was anywhere it would be there. Still haven't read his latest book yet though, need to correct that.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 18, 2018, 05:17:25 PM

Anyway, TakeOver Brooklyn IV tonight! Looks like a stellar card, even if it is a little disappointing that Black got injured. I was looking forward to the dynamic of the triple threat match (you know there would have been a short DIY reunion to take out Black). I'm sure Ciampa v Gargano in a Last Man Standing will still be great, but I'm not sure where else they can take things after the last two brutal encounters.

Shayna v Kairi match should be fantastic. I really enjoyed their match in the MYC final, and Shayna has improved a lot since then, so expecting this one to be even better. TUE v Moustache Mountain always deliver. Cole v Ricochet bound to put on an instant classic. And Dream v EC3 could be a fun one - I don't rate EC3's in-ring ability that much, but these two both know their characters really well and know how to play up to a crowd.

Maybe a Matt Riddle debut too?

If Kairi doesn't win the title tonight then I will riot be grumpy for 10 minutes before eating a biscuit.

Deanjam

May as well make my terrible predictions. First Takeover.

Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Kairi Sane - NXT Women's Championship - Kairi

Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs. Johnny Gargano -  NXT Championship - Now it's not a 3 way I expect Gargano to win. I really want this feud to end before it outstays its welcome.

Adam Cole (c) vs. Ricochet - NXT North American Championship - Cole. Triple H's old fashioned booking style makes me think Ricochet will have to chase for a while.

Kyle O'Reilly and Roderick Strong (c) vs. Tyler Bate and Trent Seven - NXT Tag Team Championship - Champs retain

Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 - Difficult to call as both men need a big win but I'll go for Dream.

Deanjam

Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Roman Reigns - WWE Universal Championship - Surely Roman

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Ronda Rousey - WWE Raw Women's Championship - Ronda

AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe - WWE Championship - AJ

Harper and Rowan (c) vs. Big E, Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods - WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship - New Day, new champions

Braun Strowman vs. Kevin Owens - Braun

Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Seth Rollins - WWE Intercontinental Championship - Seth regains. Think they'll hold off the Ambrose heel turn.

Carmella (c) vs. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flai - WWE SmackDown Women's Championship - Carmella retains unfortunately

Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Drew Gulak - WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Drew to rescue the belt from the world's dullest man

Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Jeff Hardy - WWE United States Championship - Nakkers

Finn Bálor vs. Baron Corbin - Finn wins the piss break

Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz - Miz

Rusev and Lana vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas and Zelina Vega - Almas + Vega

Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel (c) vs. Dash Wilder and Scott Dawson - B Team

gmoney

Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Kairi Sane - NXT Women's Championship - Possibly wrong here as there are more challengers for Kairi than Shayna, but I have a feeling in my bones

Tommaso Ciampa (c) vs. Johnny Gargano -  NXT Championship - Very hard to pick because of the weird booking and Johnny's unhinged persona, but I think it'll be too weird to have Gargano lose again.

Adam Cole (c) vs. Ricochet - NXT North American Championship - Cole. Triple H's old fashioned booking style makes me think Ricochet will have to chase for a while. Ricochet to win and Adam Cole to go up to the main roster.

Kyle O'Reilly and Roderick Strong (c) vs. Tyler Bate and Trent Seven - NXT Tag Team Championship - I think they'll go up as well, but I don't think they'll drop the titles just yet, they'll drop them to Heavy Machinery at some point.

Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 - First big high profile singles match, I reckon it'll be his night.

Z

oh fuck, totally forgot that Summerslam = a big NXT event. Something to actually watch! :D

New Jack

Yes, let's watch some wrestling!

So doesn't feel like a Summerslam weekend. It doesn't even feel like a Roadblock weekend

Maybe a bit like a Great Balls of Fire

Deanjam

Well that was fun. Looking forward to Undisputed working comedy matches on the main roster pre-shows.

New Jack

EC3 has what I believe they call "star quality"

Deanjam

I thought Dream overshadowed him in every department.

New Jack

Dream was ace but EC3 needs a callup.

That said.... that's the problem with NXT. I end up rooting for a wrestler and I get confused about what I want for them. "I want every success for them" is nice and vague. Callup to the main roster is death.

North American Championship time!

Deanjam

EC3 will probably have a decent shot on main due to his physique. Dream could easily be messed up by Vince.

New Jack

Can't wait for ****-match havin' Ricochet to get promoted to 205 Live!

Deanjam

That was fun. Typical 'let's take turns to hit moves' match, but well executed.

New Jack

Ronda!

Was just thinking what great lineage the NXT women's title has

Deanjam

New Jack

Deanjam

Quote from: New Jack on August 19, 2018, 01:48:50 AM
That was pretty ace.

Yeah. A nice contrast of styles. Got me with the ending.

New Jack

That DDT spot was great

Edit: whattamatch

Deanjam

Well that certainly made Gargano look like the dumbest fuck in wrestling.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Deanjam on August 19, 2018, 02:34:31 AM
Well that certainly made Gargano look like the dumbest fuck in wrestling.

It kinda did but I see what they were going for: Gargano, so consumed in his hatred was more concerned with hurting Ciampa than protecting himself and paid dearly for it. It makes sense as an ending to the story, or at least this chapter.

Another great NXT Takeover. MOTN for me was Sane/Baszler. Great ending.

Now please have Io Shirai win the Mae Young (I've avoided spoilers so I have no idea how far she has or hasn't advanced) and let's get some Kairi/Io Takeover matches.

Mobius

Great as always.

Gargano Vs Ciampa was excellent. Pure brutality. Gargano crushed under a mountain of debris plus some jabroni was a particular highlight.

Dream Vs EC3 was fun. EC3 never felt like he'd spend long in NXT, and really didn't need to. He's loads better than someone like Lashley...

Really enjoy watching Shayna, proper nasty. I liked the finish. Guess Shayna moves up to Smackdown. Definitely keen for a Kairi / Bianca Belair feud.

Christ that War Raiders fella throws people high doesn't he? Loved the pop for that.

Adam Cole Vs Ricochet was probably my match of the night. That superkick to Ricochet as he flipped off the ropes was perfect. And that fucking rana out of the ring, mental.

Undisputed when they move up should recruit Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn or something and just rule an entire brand.

Ja'moke

As others have said, another top quality TakeOver. The only match I felt was a little weak was Velveteen vs. EC3, but it picked up towards the end. I don't rate EC3's in-ring ability that much, and as someone else said, Dream did most of the carrying... which is crazy for a guy that is only 22 and hasn't been wrestling as long as EC3.

Cole vs. Ricochet stole the show. Their styles worked well together. The Tag Title match was great as expected.

Shayne vs. Kairi was the best NXT women's match since Asuka vs Ember. The ending swerved me.

Gargano vs. Ciampa was good, but not to the standard of the previous two encounters. The last man standing stipulation kills the pacing of the match, and I did think the ending was a little bit silly. It would have been better if Ciampa side-stepped and used Gargano's own momentum to throw him into the crates. Rather than Gargano basically just running himself straight into them.

Nice to see Matt Riddle in the front row too. Also, he's going to be at the Progress Wembley show next month, so looking forward to that!