Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 09, 2019, 12:47:29 PM
Yeah, list writing/scarf wearing Jericho was probably his second best run in WWE, after suit wearing/big-word using Jericho in 2008. It just seemed like everything he touched turned to gold. And him and Owens were the hottest act on Raw for the best part of a year. Still a shame they took the Universal title out of that feud to put it on Goldberg.

No way. The List might have been a fun gimmick but he was quite bad inring. Sloppy mediocre matches. His Mania match with Owens was so bad that Vince was incredibly disappointed and angry afterwards, as documented in the KO 24 special.

2008 - 2013 Jericho had amazing matches. Everything in WWE after that was incredible mediocre.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on February 09, 2019, 01:29:52 PM
No way. The List might have been a fun gimmick but he was quite bad inring. Sloppy mediocre matches. His Mania match with Owens was so bad that Vince was incredibly disappointed and angry afterwards, as documented in the KO 24 special.

2008 - 2013 Jericho had amazing matches. Everything in WWE after that was incredible mediocre.

His matches were fine, not mind blowing, but decent. But his character work was excellent. Festival of Friendship, as previously mentioned, one of the best Raw segments in the past decade (I put it as #14 on my Best 25 Raw Moments of All-Time: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/top-25-wwe-raw-moments-time-150033080.html).

Also that match with Owens was good. That whole backstage shit was clearly for Owen's documentary. Their Mania match was better than their subsequent matches which Vince suddenly praised..

Timothy

I dont believe that was for the documentary. It was just a mediocre match from two great wrestlers that could have been way better imo.

Also disagree about his character work. He didnt have a character. He was just catchphrase man.

Golden E. Pump

I can't understand how anyone can be a fan of wrestling and not adore Chris Jericho. He embodies everything that's great about the business. He's been a comedy face, a comedy heel, a technical master, a serious, innovative heel, an insanely over babyface, he's put people over as his career winds down and throughout it as well as refreshing his character and maintaining his popularity he has adjusted his in-ring style to suit his age and still puts on matches where he is a plausible threat, unlike latter-career Flair, for instance.

up_the_hampipe

Becky has been invited to Raw on Monday despite her suspension. What will Becky Cena Reigns do this week?!

Ja'moke

Becky to put Vince in the Dis-ARM-her next week!

up_the_hampipe

She hasn't decked Shane yet though. Got to work your way up.

Ja'moke

Yeah, but Shane's the best wrestler in the world.

up_the_hampipe

But Becky is the best MMA fighter in the world. The ultimate showdown.

Ja'moke

I know not all of Becky's tweets hit the mark, but this one genuinely made me laugh: https://twitter.com/BeckyLynchWWE/status/1094351406092480512

ToneLa

Wonder if she writes her own? Get a feeling it's a bit half an half. Stuff like that feels a bit too on the nose - Ronda's promos are easily the most "half scripted" example on the roster alternating between great and terrible - but Becky IS Becky and I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Ja'moke

Pretty sure all the Twitter stuff is their own.

ToneLa

Even the text on the videos?

Have to say apart from the Not Decking Ronda On Raw thing (which I can bypass cause why not hold back their physicality?) I'm keenly impressed with Becky's handling.

Utter faith in her. Love her. She's Stone Cold for Now. Just pleasantly surprised even if the actual match sounds like it will follow the Benoit/HBK/HHH or Bryan/Orton/Batista mould (which actually sounds really fucking satisfying)

up_the_hampipe

That is pretty good, she might not have made it though. Doesn't matter anyway, I just wish she'd stop calling her Ronnie.

Ja'moke

Quote from: ToneLa on February 09, 2019, 10:22:20 PM
Even the text on the videos?

Have to say apart from the Not Decking Ronda On Raw thing (which I can bypass cause why not hold back their physicality?) I'm keenly impressed with Becky's handling.

Utter faith in her. Love her. She's Stone Cold for Now. Just pleasantly surprised even if the actual match sounds like it will follow the Benoit/HBK/HHH or Bryan/Orton/Batista mould (which actually sounds really fucking satisfying)

Yeah even the videos. She used to do similar stuff on her IG stories after her matches back before this latest push. Often with lots of puns.

Timothy

Enough with the Becky promos already. This is too much.

Mobius

They should add a glass shatter sound effect to Becky's music

ToneLa

Quote from: Timothy on February 09, 2019, 11:01:15 PM
Enough with the Becky promos already. This is too much.

wtf

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 09, 2019, 10:38:35 PM
Yeah even the videos. She used to do similar stuff on her IG stories after her matches back before this latest push. Often with lots of puns.

Becky respect just went up!

Timothy

Quote from: ToneLa on February 09, 2019, 11:03:37 PM
wtf

Becky respect just went up!

I mean, she is on both shows so very overbooked, samey boring promos.... again the boring outplayed autority angle, doing the Stone Cold persona but not convincing.... meh
cant wait til Ronda makes her tap at Mania.

ToneLa

Quote from: Timothy on February 09, 2019, 11:30:52 PM
I mean, she is on both shows so very overbooked, samey boring promos.... again the boring outplayed autority angle, doing the Stone Cold persona but not convincing.... meh
cant wait til Ronda makes her tap at Mania.

Name your top 5 active/ current (part time or injured is OK) WWE wrestlers, and or on-screen talent

Timothy

Daniel Bryan
Seth Rollins
Miz
Mustafa Ali
Kevin Owens

In random order.

Add NXT:

Velveteen
Ricochet
Ciampa
Gargano
Black
Heavy Machinery

ToneLa

Quote from: Timothy on February 09, 2019, 11:34:20 PM
Daniel Bryan
Seth Rollins
Miz
Mustafa Ali
Kevin Owens

In random order.

Add NXT:

Velveteen
Ricochet
Ciampa
Gargano
Black
Heavy Machinery

I think you're gonna enjoy Wrestlemania more than me! (I'm rocking a Bruiser Brody avatar, I'm not out to play favourites really). Pleasantly surprised by Ali, might be a bit short term - I'd swap Andrade out for him - but Ali is getting exciting and, more to the point, booked well!

NXT, no complaints.

Ja'moke

Rollins is injured, so they kinda need Becky for Raw at the minute, as she's their other top star/WM main event.

I'm loving that she's in the spotlight. Someone that I actually like and enjoy watching. Someone that is over with the crowd and building to a match that the majority of people want to see. It's great fun.

up_the_hampipe

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 10, 2019, 12:49:38 AM
Rollins is on Raw on Monday.

Oh he is? I thought he was nursing a back injury and just doing pre-taped stuff.

Ja'moke

Does anyone follow NXTFTW2017 on YouTube? They make brilliant wrestling video packages. The latest Four Horsewomen one is ace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jYSrCrFwZ4

petril

Quote from: ToneLa on February 09, 2019, 11:38:23 PM
(I'm rocking a Bruiser Brody avatar, I'm not out to play favourites really).

Brusier "Luke Harper" Brody

ToneLa

Quote from: petrilTanaka on February 10, 2019, 06:47:02 PM
Brusier "Luke Harper" Brody

Harper wishes! And WWE

Was delighted that D Bry, think his book said this, at WM30 put on the furred boots as a tribute to our favourite shower-shivved uppity brawler

ToneLa

Rollins is going to "address Brock Lesnar" ... but is Lesnar on the show? If not it's a promo