Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Lesnar is not on this coming Raw, but he's advertised for the 18th and 25th apparently.

ToneLa

So Bad Back Rollins is gonna cut a promo. Meh

Becky again though, yay!

Ja'moke

And Smackdown is advertising a gauntlet match with the six Chamber participants to determine who gets to enter last.

Ja'moke

For those that think a wrestler hasn't made it until they've been in WWE, Kenny Omega thinks you're "childish": https://twitter.com/RyanMcKinnell/status/1094022190037577729

ToneLa

Timothy? :)

Just been watching Bruiser Brody vs Tenryu 1988 on YouTube. If you think Bruiser is just a brawler I highly recommend this match. Great selling psychology, and spots. The submission work by Tenryu is so complete

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 10, 2019, 11:18:37 PM
For those that think a wrestler hasn't made it until they've been in WWE, Kenny Omega thinks you're "childish": https://twitter.com/RyanMcKinnell/status/1094022190037577729

And he would be right. Nice to see someone disprove the myth that WWE is wrestling and you're a nobody if you don't go there.

Timothy

I dont get your "WWE is wrestling" comments. Because WWE is wrestling. Just as much as NJPW, Impact and ROH is wrestling. You might not like it but it is.

And the idea that you are a nobody if you dont go to the WWE is quite outdated in 2019. Dont think there are much people that think that way anymore.

Anyway, interesting to see how Kenny will talk about this  interview when he ends up at a Royal Rumble somewhere in a few years.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on February 11, 2019, 06:02:21 AM
I dont get your "WWE is wrestling" comments. Because WWE is wrestling. Just as much as NJPW, Impact and ROH is wrestling. You might not like it but it is.

And the idea that you are a nobody if you dont go to the WWE is quite outdated in 2019. Dont think there are much people that think that way anymore.

Then you clearly havent been reading this thread.

Quote from: Timothy on February 08, 2019, 03:13:33 PM
WWE is wrestling though. And saying that booking is horrible is a very black and white view of it all.

People want to work there because they generally know its the biggest and most important place to work.

Reaching Mania is the biggest possible achievement imo.

All this talk about it WWE being the pinnacle, the grandest stage of them all and all that bollocks. People don't go there to be creatively inspired, they go there to be well paid to be told what to do. If that's what you want to do, fine, nothing wrong with that, but some people (like Kenny Omega, thankfully) don't see WWE as the be all and end all of wrestling. And obviously, when I say WWE is wreslting I don't just mean it's a wrestling show, I mean WWE *is* wrestling, as in no other companies count and if you've never worked at WWE then you've havent made it, which is the mindset the McMahons, a lot of wrestlers who work there (mainly old school ones by now) and a lot of fans.

Timothy

In every company the wrestlers get paid to do what the bookers want them to do.

Timothy

And if you take a look at people like Becky Lynch you can see that getting over by being creatively inspired is also possible in WWE. She got herself the Mania main event. And thats coming from a non Lynch fan. If you work hard and eant to be creatively inspired then thats possible in the WWE. If you just want to have a spot and make decent money you can too.

Also dont get what you mean by you clearly havent been reading this thread because there is literally no one here that has that old mindset. And tbh the idea that WWE is the big bad mainstream wolf in wrestling is just as outdated.

Timothy

Anyone seen Corey Graves Twitter tantrum? Truly unlikeable person.

QuoteWell, "Blunt Boss," clearly you're setting the world on fire. Maybe you could take over?

But that would probably mean returning your food stamp card and actually having to hold down a job.

QuoteNo, snowflake. As someone who once qualified for public assistance, I am living proof that if you work hard enough, you can change your situation.

No sympathy here.   

QuoteI'm not sorry for anything.

I once had an ACCESS card.

I had public assistance.

But never ONCE, did I blame anybody for my problems or shortcomings but myself.

And I did better.

So before you continue your "triggered Twitter campaign" do your ****ing homework. 

QuoteI'm not really old enough to claim "back in my day," but what I remember as "coaching" or "motivation" is now considered "bullying."

I turned out just fine. And my kids are probably tougher than yours.

Can you please pass the blue crayon for these adult coloring books?   

Damn.

Z

I see he's gone off on David Bixenspan, was that the start of it? It's a weird target considering he tends only writes about things that have quite a lot of references to back up whatever he's on about.

Timothy

A random Twitter user made a negative comment about him and Renee and he went crazy.

Timothy

Also:

QuoteYep. My contract is up. And I'll go to Jacksonville where you'll eat out my hands because you're an "expert."   

We never see Corey at AEW thats for sure.

hummingofevil

Are you arguing over two different points?

WWE is wrestling could mean WWE is (the pinacle of) Wrestling and wrestling is nothing without WWE or WWE is wrestling as opposed to WWE is Sports Entertainment or WWE is NOT wrestling.

This is would be an understandable semantic debate until I realised you all know the following phrase.

"Raw is Jericho"

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on February 11, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
In every company the wrestlers get paid to do what the bookers want them to do.

I've mentioned this a few times but you really should listen to Bryan Alvarez interviewing Jimmy Jacobs from a few weeks back. It really picks apart the way WWE's creative process is way more micromanaged and proscriptive than other wrestling companies.

Maybe it's the only way to knock out 6+ hours a week of main roster TV but it was really clear about how there are dozens of people writing every little thing that happens and everything goes through Vince.

He contrasted that with Impact which has 4 bookers/writers and they plan things out and people can work how they want within that lose structure. Jericho recently said exactly the same about NJPW and he loved being given the chance to do whatever he wanted with the booking (his look, the promos, the match) and was so different from working under Vince (and he likes Vince).

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on February 11, 2019, 06:37:51 AM
And tbh the idea that WWE is the big bad mainstream wolf in wrestling is just as outdated.

Jamal Khashoggi would disagree with you on this one but he got his body dismembered.

Timothy

The Saudi situation was awful. They should have canceled that show. I canceled my Network subscription because of that.

I was more talking about how some people think that WWE ruins or ruined wrestling or how some people think that wrestlers in the WWE like AJ or Bryan should have better went elsewhere because they arent used to full potential. I disagree about that.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on February 11, 2019, 09:06:20 AM
The Saudi situation was awful. They should have canceled that show. I canceled my Network subscription because of that.

I was more talking about how some people think that WWE ruins or ruined wrestling or how some people think that wrestlers in the WWE like AJ or Bryan should have better went elsewhere because they arent used to full potential. I disagree about that.

Yes fam. You and me are both in the 37,000 who did exactly that. Cost Vince $2-4million in subs every year. They getting something like $50million to do the shows. Oh...

I've posted it here last week but there is something very wrong with WWE output if Daniel Bryan/AJ was only fine. On flip side if DB was in AAA or whatever we wouldn't get to see his promos every week.

Timothy

Bryan vs AJ was a solid match, placed at a bad spot at the RR that was made worse due to tired crowd. PPVs are just too long now.

But the match itself was good.

up_the_hampipe

Remember when everyone thought Corey was going to be the next Heenan? What a knob. Reminds me of his needy tweets to CM Punk.

Moribunderast

Switchblade vs. Tanahashi was damn good. Damn, damn good.

ToneLa

Quote from: Timothy on February 11, 2019, 09:06:20 AM

Isn't the next Saudi event relatively soon? Think Meltzer said May and November. Two this year! :/

QuoteI was more talking about how some people think that WWE ruins or ruined wrestling or how some people think that wrestlers in the WWE like AJ or Bryan should have better went elsewhere because they arent used to full potential. I disagree about that.

Dunno with those examples. I'd be more concerned about the mid card. And the reason why I roll my eyes at most NXT callups. They get misused after being booked correctly in the same company!

magval

hummingofevil

Two Saudi shows every year.

This Switchblade stuff seems a bit off to me. If it's designed to give him heat then fine but even though he is massively improved in-ring and his matches are usually very good there is just too much of a go-away-heat vibe about him. He's annoying. He looks annoying. He sounds annoying. And I don't like watching entertainment to get annoyed.

The one thing I love about NJPW above everything else is the slow pace of Gedo booking. I loved the Okada storyline from WK and want his return to title challenge to be a slow build, probably until next years WK where he gets his redemption. I don't think it feels right putting him back in now to win belt at MSG (even though if you look back it does work).

I'd have Tanahashi Switchblade rematch at MSG I think.

hummingofevil

Had a rethink and remembered the New Japan Cup. Okada could win that first the title back at MSG.

What is Gedo like with first time winners? Long solid reign to establish them as legit or a relatively short reign to keep his big guys strong?

Ja'moke

Fightful reporting that Ali is injured and will be removed from the Chamber match. Gutted for him. He's really been coming into his own in recent weeks, and this would have been a big showing for him. Hopefully he can recover for Mania.

mikeyg27

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 11, 2019, 04:48:28 PM
What is Gedo like with first time winners? Long solid reign to establish them as legit or a relatively short reign to keep his big guys strong?

Here's the list of previous IWGP reigns. There have only been six 1st time winners this decade, and only Naito didn't make it to 120 days (sigh...). They're all 2-3 defences (except for Naito again, fucksake) which you could fit in before MSG. Okada and Tanahashi are the only people to go beyond 3 defenses in that time anyway.

Ibushi announced he's staying in New Japan, and rumours that he's actually signed a deal instead of doing the freelancing thing. I was totally expecting him in AEW sooner rather than later.

hummingofevil

It's maybe a big risk but part of me thinks they need to just stick with JAy White for a decent run but MSG show is in a real bad time. That Okada match at WK was so good and I want him to win back title next January. Inserting Naito for few months seems a bit forced and really don't want the belt being passed around every couple of months.

Ah well. In Ged we trust.

And thanks for the link.

hummingofevil

Just noticed the Batista to AEW story. Whilst Dave seems like a super nice guy who would fit into AEW inclusive approach being the big soft gent that he is I just can't see then bringing in old WWE part-timers on huge money. Would love to know how much Cody is behind the rumours, knowing they are pushing up money Vince is going to have to pay out.

Timothy. You really need to listen to the Omega interview with Dave Meltzer and Garrett on WOR, Its a full hour of him pulling apart his approach to wrestling and business and whilst he was very complimentary about how WWE behaved in negotiations (and very interestingly how AEW would be open to working with them in future) it reveals why he was never going to end up there.

For anyone who hasn't listened to it the general feeling is that AEW want to find new talent who will try to develop new and different approaches to wrestling, work with any other company out there who isn't going to be a dick about anything and they have a long term plans for some dream matches that we will be "shocked" to see. Kenny has the option to work for NJPW whenever he wants, probably not be at MSG but is moving to US. Ibushi is staying in Japan. That makes me sad.