Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:04:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

I just think DB is the natural champion and should have the belt as a default but him losing at Mania to Kofi to huge cheers would be pretty awesome as it means the DB heel turn is complete. You know he would love nothing more than 80,000 people doing a No chant.

In two minds about splitting up New Day though. They are guaranteed 7/10 entertainment every time they are on screen which would be a shame to split up and Xavier would get lost very quickly. Big E has always had the potential to be a mega star but Vince appears to have lost his touch with big guys. Bring back the 5 count and have him go jobber hunting.

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 18, 2019, 06:41:35 PM
And KOFI! They have to go with Bryan v Kofi at Mania surely. It's one of those things that have fallen into WWE's lap. The crowd want it. Do it.

It makes too much sense doesn't it?

They won't do it.  Nope, can't change the plans, even though they might be worse.

Ja'moke

They don't need to split up the New Day, even if Kofi does by some miracle win the title. If they want them to do separate things for a while, sure, but they don't need to officially split up or turn on each other.

WWE are advertising that Ciampa, Gargano, Ricochet and Black are backstage at Raw. Maybe an NXT showcase match tonight?

Mobius

Elimination Chamber matches were good

Poor Ruby.

hummingofevil

Interesting. They appear to actually to be trying to make Raw less shit tonight. Well they started with a Corbin/ Strowman match but you know. Got the NXT guys on and doesn't feel like full call ups more like showcases which we discussed a few weeks back. Commentary is still woeful mind.

Mobius

Might as well move some more NXT people up, since Heavy Machinery, EC3, Lacey Evans and Nikki Cross have been a tremendous success thus far.

Mobius

hummingofevil

Quote from: Mobius on February 19, 2019, 03:10:51 AM
Show is so weird and dead.

Its almost proving the point that they've fucked Raw so much its beyond repair. Some good ideas yet it feels completely flat.

Mobius

Yeah, there was some good matches... but yeah it just feels so empty. It's all over the place.

DIY Vs The Revival should be huge. Just gets tossed off. The introduction of the NXT guys, smiling Ciampa pic on the tron. The Revival losing their first match as champs to two guys who I'm assuming aren't permanent main roster yet as they're both holding NXT belts.

Braun Vs Corbin AGAIN. Braun just feels like another guy now. Really fucked him, hope it was worth it to keep Brock looking strong.

The "moody" Alistair Black .. thanks Cole. They didn't even try and disguise that thing he pops up on during his entrance!

Really not arsed about Seth Brock.

Smackdown should be better anyway!

Moribunderast

Quote from: Mobius on February 19, 2019, 08:45:49 AM
Yeah, there was some good matches... but yeah it just feels so empty. It's all over the place.

DIY Vs The Revival should be huge. Just gets tossed off. The introduction of the NXT guys, smiling Ciampa pic on the tron. The Revival losing their first match as champs to two guys who I'm assuming aren't permanent main roster yet as they're both holding NXT belts.

Braun Vs Corbin AGAIN. Braun just feels like another guy now. Really fucked him, hope it was worth it to keep Brock looking strong.

The "moody" Alistair Black .. thanks Cole. They didn't even try and disguise that thing he pops up on during his entrance!

Really not arsed about Seth Brock.

Smackdown should be better anyway!

Reading the Raw results and some viewer feedback, it sounds like a really odd show that exposed the creative weaknesses crippling the product. They just have no imagination when it comes to elevating people from NXT. No plan, no destination, just "here's a guy you know nothing about, enjoy!" and then have them wrestle main roster style as opposed to the NXT/PWG-lite style that's gotten them over in developmental.

Money aside, at this point you'd be dreading getting the call-up if you were an Adam Cole, Velveteen Dream, Io Shirai or Kairi Sane - the strike rate for NXT call-ups in the last year is damn close to 0%.

Ja'moke

Agreed with the above. Raw was awful and weird. Worst crowd in a long while too. They barely reacted to the wrestlers they do know, let alone the NXT call ups.

The good news is that the Women's Tag Titles can be defended on Raw, SD and NXT. I want Bayley & Sasha vs the Sky Pirates for TakeOver New York!

up_the_hampipe

Is Ambrose doing a memory loss gimmick now?

ToneLa

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 19, 2019, 12:40:20 PM

How can you tell with the way Raw is booked!

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 19, 2019, 12:40:20 PM

That got the biggest pop out of that dead crowd all night.

Totally agree with everything being said about Raw, this is the first time in ages I watched (most of) it and Christ it's such a Frankenstein's monster of a show.

Hey, the biggest names in NXT are here!
Why?
Oh just because.
So this is isn't a call up, they're just here?
Look over there, it's Heavy Machinery!

There's no structure, no context for things, they just happen and the crowd is expected to react. Smackdown isn't perfect but at least it seems to have the basic structure of a wrestling show.

hummingofevil

The more I've thought about it today I think it's dead. It's amazing how USA have paid them $1billion for it (it's their biggest draw which says more about USA than it does WWE). I also have no idea why Sky pay for it. Just expensive crap in middle of night watched by no one.

As always I was only half watching and sleepy but to bring Ciampa in with a big smile on his face and then have them beat DIY in MOTY rematch with dead crowd and no coordination or consistency with NXT is a massive embarrassment. Desperate.

What the hell are they actually trying to do? How can booking and writing be so bad and lazy for 90% of stuff when they a multi billionaire company with dozens of writers. It can't be ALL that Vince is just mental. Mojo disappears after promos (at least it only took 3 weeks unlike Emilina) Leo Rush has been forgiven and HHH loves Becky Lynch. None of these things make any sense.

Waste of everyone's lives watching it.

Also, that Lesnar promo video was good but wonder if that helped kill the crowd. Start show with HHH in ring promo, Strowman-Corbin and then a video. No wonder they were dead.

ToneLa

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 19, 2019, 05:41:58 PMI also have no idea why Sky pay for it. Just expensive crap in middle of night watched by no one.

I attribute my enduring fandom to watching WWE Experience for years. For a company with such gobsmacking video production abilities, it isn't half nice to have five hours of their product boiled down into the key 50 minutes of promo packages and match finishes you need to see.

Also teaches you a fair fucking bit about their priorities

Osmium

Quote from: hummingofevil on February 19, 2019, 05:41:58 PMI also have no idea why Sky pay for it.

Probably the same reason WWE are signing anybody who has stepped foot anywhere near a ring. It stops others having it.

Sky have paid for it in the past because they feel that they sell enough premium sports packages to justify the cost. Not sure this still applies in 2019.

Edit: and when they agreed to a five year contract in 2014, the WWE Network wasn't a thing in the UK, and now it is, you'd think that it would eat up Sky's Box Office PPV money.

Ja'moke

Glad the NXT guys got a second chance in front of a hotter crowd. Really enjoyable SD once again.

ToneLa

Good to know Smackdown remains the A show largely because, despite reports to the contrary, I just don't see Vince all fucking over it

hummingofevil

If anyone is still not aware of its existence then this is absolutely cracking.

https://www.hidive.com/movies/kaiju-mono?q=kaiju

Its a Kanji monster movie featuring Minoru Suzuki and Kota Ibushi wrestling monsters. Ibushi has a major part in it and it is definitely a wrestling Kanji movie and not just a Kanji movie featuring wrestlers.

Its about £5 to sign up to the streaming service and well worth it just for that. Any of you nerds got an Anime recommendations from everything else on there? :)

hummingofevil

Quote from: ToneLa on February 20, 2019, 03:09:25 AM
Good to know Smackdown remains the A show largely because, despite reports to the contrary, I just don't see Vince all fucking over it

According to Jimmy Jacobs its all Vince but they have a different team of writers. JJ claimed Smackdown was better just because its only 2 hours long which has some merit and Raw is always struggling to stretch out ideas. Maybe its like runners. Vince just has his distance that he is good at but gives the longer run a go every week as he happens to earn tens of millions of dollars for his sacrifice.

I thought Smackdown was fine. Can someone please invent a commentary filter though. They trying to get Ricochet over as a mega face but nothing makes you want to hate him more than Cole and the others telling you 50 times in 5 minutes how much you should like him. Especially at 2am.

Deanjam

Graves and Saxton were back to screaming at each other during the main event. So irritating. Also Graves perving over Mandy Rose has to stop.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on February 20, 2019, 08:46:38 AM
Graves and Saxton were back to screaming at each other during the main event. So irritating. Also Graves perving over Mandy Rose has to stop.

Especially now we know who he's really into.

madhair60

Kenny Omega liked my idiotic meme so that's put a smile on my face

Deanjam

I think I've seen the dumbest tweet ever. Yes, WWE attendance is so low because they aren't making more tickets available on purpose.

Timothy

If you ask top price for bad shows or in places where WWE isn't popular you don't sell tickets.

I wonder why they didn't just cancel that show.

hummingofevil

It was Raw.

As Meltzer discussed at length their house shows just abou broke even last year with falling attendances. We all know it but they pretend otherwise but their business model is to just rinse their hardcores of as much money as possible.

What is it now to go? £70 or something. Absolutely fuck that. And merch prices are obscene. I've said it before on here but for my mate to take two kids to Arena was £100s. Absolutely disgusting for what is an organisation with billion dollar TV deals.