Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneLa

Quote from: Timothy on March 05, 2019, 11:30:18 AM
I never said I only appreciate face wrestlers?
I just said I think that in this storyline they made Becky seem like the heel and Ronda as the face.

Fair dos, might have misinterpreted you, I am more interested in her as a heel as - god, I'm jinxing this aren't I - they won't do the usual "heels are cowardly cheats" shite they lean on so much.

The feud sort of sucks overall but I like the talent and the match should be good. As long as they don't have a McMahon in every corner or Steph as special ref

Still. It is Smackdown night!

The basic fact is the crowd want to see a match where all the Women are going to go full on destroy each other, a triple threat does this and two heels and a tweener also achieves this. Face Ronda would be holding back, this isn't the Face tempted to the dark side story though. Its a fight for who is top woman in the WWE. So big that it can't even be contained by Brands.

Timothy

Then Asuka should be added to the mix.

Deanjam

Quote from: ToneLa on March 05, 2019, 07:43:59 AM
RIP King Kong Bundy

Only 61. He was still in his twenties when he wrestled Hogan at Mania!

Ja'moke

Austin used to randomly beat up faces all the time and the crowd loved it then too. Nothing has really changed in 20 years.

Timothy

I just realised there's a huge chance Stephanie will be guest ref in the Becky / Ronda match. :(

ToneLa

Quote from: Timothy on March 05, 2019, 12:32:55 PM
I just realised there's a huge chance Stephanie will be guest ref in the Becky / Ronda match. :(

Uh huh, I realised that as soon as I "joked" aboot it a few posts up :(

WHY DO THE MCMAHONS HAVE TO BE SO INVOLVED

Quote from: Deanjam on March 05, 2019, 12:06:58 PM
Only 61. He was still in his twenties when he wrestled Hogan at Mania!

That's the benefit of looking a bit shite when you're young I suppose! RIP Bundy, the second best wrestler to call himself King Kong

Ja'moke

Did they mention Ambrose leaving on TV last night? I must have missed it.

ToneLa

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 05, 2019, 01:31:36 PM
Did they mention Ambrose leaving on TV last night? I must have missed it.

The Raw report on F4W said so. Weird. I still want him to leave though

QuoteThey also acknowledged the rumours of Ambrose's departure, with Michael Cole announcing that Ambrose was not renewing his contract.

If you missed commentary that's totally understood!!

boki

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 04, 2019, 08:43:45 PM
So... did he?

Haha, no, but then he was booked in a pretty traditional match, so there wasn't anything too nasty going on (unless you count him threatening to stab the ref).

Have to agree with Timothy that they've booked this all wrong. I pointed out a few weeks back that it felt like the crowd were going to turn on Ronda because a) her limitations and b) she's not Becky, and so it has come to pass. I think the idea of Charlotte being a heat sponge to protect Rousey was sound, but she's felt so external and out of tune with the angle that she's barely registered.

It feels like it's back on track now, but Charlotte is now surplus to requirements. It'll be interesting to see where they take it over the next few weeks.

As for the Shield reunion, I'm presuming some Lesnar-related fuckery to take Seth out and for Ambrose to turn on Reigns.

up_the_hampipe

If Ambrose leaving wasn't a work before, it probably is now, right?

Regardless of how anyone in here feels about Becky or Ronda, I think it should be agreed that this booking has been clumsy as fuck. They are overthinking it.

I'm not sure they've overthought it. They've just wanted to keep Rousey as a face and have gone through an astonishing amount of contortion to make that happen. And still failed.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 05, 2019, 02:14:36 PM
I'm not sure they've overthought it. They've just wanted to keep Rousey as a face and have gone through an astonishing amount of contortion to make that happen. And still failed.

It's not just Rousey, it's the attempt to keep interest, like the match hasn't sold itself from the beginning. They keep adding things and swapping things and dropping things. It all seems so frantic.

Ja'moke

Yep, they overbooked it. I mean, just look at how hot the crowd was after the Rumble when Becky came out and challenged Ronda. Both cut decent promos. Had their staredown. And the crowd was amped.

Since then it's become so convoluted.

hummingofevil

I will defend their booking of this feud over and over again with one caveat which is that they need to do away with Fastlane as its one PPV too many in the way and has caused them to have to sidestep the build to Mania just one time too many.

The point is that the story is BUILDING towards the pay off in Mania. If Becky get cheered for beating the shit out people legit with a crutch and then Ronda gets booed for the same that is fine for now as its getting them where they need to be.

Christ I'm defending WWE writing here. For once. But it is correct.

They need to have the main event at Mania as a red-hot match after 7+ hours of god knows what with Becky holding the belt and the whole thing being exciting and newsworthy. The best way of having that is Becky as underdog beating two heels in Charlotte and Rousey. Charlotte is fine. She got her character sorted. Ronda was swaying because she was struggling with certain aspects and people were legit thinking she was not very good at pro-wrestling because she stumbles on promos. Which is ridiculous as she is a very good pro-wrestler. The Twitter stuff and last night was putting that to bed. Ronda is now where she needs to be.

Now think about how many times in last decade they have made faces look like total geeks by being repeatedly outsmarted, out-fought and out-teamed. They have avoided doing that with Becky as they have made her look like a badass face who doesn't put up with any shit. That is fine. Becky got over in the first place by winning matches and being booked strongly. The fact she is great on Twitter is an added bonus. Does it make Ronda look silly sometimes? Yes. So how they put that right? Have Ronda beat the shit out of her. She is legit. She is a badass. But she is still a heel. Why? Because she beat up Becky who the crowd prefer.

But they still want their underdog story so now, for a couple of weeks they have to stack the odds against her. This will be fine
(but you will no doubt get people arguing that they are weakening her or whatever - they can't win), and Becky will get her moment at Mania.

Its not difficult guys.

---

P.s. Compare this to an NJPW main event for contrast. You might get a challenge, a back stage interview, a few tag team matches in the build and a press conference and we good to go. Why? Because NJPW doesn't have to fill 5 hours of main roster TV every week (and they use the tournaments to actually mean something and build legit threats).

WWE doesn't do that as we all know so surely, given how dreadful most of their output is we can all enjoy this for what is, by WWE standards, one of their best builds in years.

hummingofevil

On unrelated note is it just me or does Seth Rollins come across as an insincere dick? I know he has had his moments in real life and maybe I've just been worked too much (by having a memory longer than 10 days) but I just find the The Shield a really unlikeable bunch of dicks. Roman is the only genuine good guy (character wise and real life - and I so still find him boring - soz guys) so if they must play off his illness (which i'm not a fan of) with the "life is too short", "you never know what is round the corner" stuff at least they have addressed it on screen, but they really are not for me.

Team Corbrewliasley all the way me.

Ja'moke

I'm not even sure Becky will win at Mania now. I just can't see them having her win the Rumble (by eliminating Charlotte), then presumably beating Charlotte again at Fastlane to enter the match, and then beat both Charlotte and Ronda at Mania. I'm starting to think Charlotte will walk out of Mania with the title.

If anything I think having Becky win the Rumble was a mistake. Becky doesn't want the title, she just wants Rousey. The title is inconsequential to the feud. She's been after Rousey since before Survivor Series, the angle's been hot for months. The Rumble win just put an unnecessary two month and two PPV roadblock in place.

I would have had Rousey cost Becky the Rumble, then have Becky cost Rousey the title at Elimination Chamber/Fastlane. Then it's purely personal going into Mania and someone else can get a rub off the belt in the meantime (maybe a Charlotte/Asuka champion vs. champion match for Mania). It feels like a much better way of filling time and keeping the feud hot.

Deanjam

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 05, 2019, 04:05:16 PM
I just find the The Shield a really unlikeable bunch of dicks.

By wrestler standards I think they seem an alright bunch of lads. I get what you mean about Rollins coming across as insincere, but I think that's just how he talks. Also his evil laugh doesn't help. Reigns seems a good fella but with a tendency to talk rubbish about why fans didn't like him. Ambrose seems like a pretty good guy who just struggles with WWE's newspeak.

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 05, 2019, 04:27:56 PM
I'm not even sure Becky will win at Mania now.

She's winning for sure. She might go back in popularity after Mania and the next shiny new thing has emerged for the fans to root for, but right now shes the chosen one.

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 05, 2019, 03:55:47 PM
WWE doesn't do that as we all know so surely, given how dreadful most of their output is we can all enjoy this for what is, by WWE standards, one of their best builds in years.

Couldnt disagree more. Imo this is one of the most "WWE dropped the ball with a stupid storyline" moments in a long long time. Weak injury storyline, weak suspension storyline, weak reason for a heel turn. Etc. They overbuild it.

And it was so easy. Becky winning the Rumble while she wasnt suppose to be in it was the right tool.

A simple:
Becky wins Rumble
Charlotte is angry about how Becky won since Becky wasnt officially in the Rumble
Rousey turns heel by agreeing with Charlotte that its suppose to be Charlotte vs Rousey because how Becky won the Rumble
Becky calls Rousey a coward, too scared to face the Man
Stephanie agrees with Charlotte and Rousey, Becky wasnt suppose to be in the Rumble.
Fans keep on cheering Becky
Becky tries to get titleshot, she won the Rumble!!!!
Stephanie makes Becky vs Charlotte for the main event at Mania the Fastlane match
Rousey cost Becky match at Fastlane
Mania match becomes triple threat
Becky wins title
Rousey goes apeshit
Rousey leaves for a year
Becky keeps teasing her
Becky stays champ
Rousey returns in a year
Bam, rematch

Would have made more sense imo.

Custard

Sad about Bundy. Only 61. He seemed about 40 at Mania 2!

RIP big man

ToneLa

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 05, 2019, 06:31:11 PM
Enzo's tribute to King Kong Bundy, or so he thinks https://twitter.com/real1/status/1102974130171899905?s=21

I admire the sentiment but fucking hell that guy is a complete and utter toss

Golden E. Pump

This may be the first Mania I don't watch since XV.

I give absolutely zero fucks about any of it. They've fucked up what could have been a great Rousey vs Lynch match with some of the worst booking in their history and now Roman Reigns is back to act as the star of Vince's wet dreams again. I'm glad he's healthy but I have no interest in seeing him anywhere near a main event again.

Deanjam

Let's see. So far it looks like:

Ronda vs Becky vs Charlotte
Brock vs Seth
Bryan vs Kofi
Asuka vs Lacey Evans (god help us!)
HHH vs Batista
AJ vs Orton
Miz vs Shane (assuming a heel turn on Sunday)
and possibly Reigns vs Ambrose

No. Not very exciting.

ToneLa

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on March 05, 2019, 11:59:21 PM
This may be the first Mania I don't watch since XV.

I give absolutely zero fucks about any of it. They've fucked up what could have been a great Rousey vs Lynch match with some of the worst booking in their history and now Roman Reigns is back to act as the star of Vince's wet dreams again. I'm glad he's healthy but I have no interest in seeing him anywhere near a main event again.

+1

ToneLa

Quote from: Deanjam on March 06, 2019, 12:18:54 AM
Let's see. So far it looks like:

Ronda vs Becky vs Charlotte

+1 I guess?

QuoteBrock vs Seth

QuoteBryan vs Kofi

+1

QuoteAsuka vs Lacey Evans (god help us!)

How is this anything less than a sneering contempt I must know

QuoteHHH vs Batista
AJ vs Orton
Miz vs Shane (assuming a heel turn on Sunday)
and possibly Reigns vs Ambrose

No. Not very exciting.

It absolutely pains me to be consigning AJ Styles to the undercard so readily and so soon. I don't know what other examples of actual work (maybe our bad boy Goode) can pull out here but lain bare like that it looks clearly lacking.

Though I hope that the old-timer Miz will give the rub to this young scrub Shane McMahon! Boy, with a name like that I bet he's one to watch! Watch it be given 15 minutes