Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Yeah another example of WWEs pettiness backfiring, they cant help themselves at this point though.

Timothy

He doesn't sound bitter at all.... :P

I still hope he once returns to win the WWE title.

up_the_hampipe

Cody needs to dislodge his head from his own arse before he accuses anyone else.

New Jack

Carmella injured. She has a swollen lip.

... Over to you

Ja'moke

Quote from: New Jack on July 27, 2018, 11:33:14 PM
Carmella injured. She has a swollen lip.

... Over to you

I thought you were joking.

New Jack

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 28, 2018, 12:46:43 PM
I thought you were joking.

It does look a bit sore but she's missing house shows!

Kurt Angle won a gold medal with a broken freakin' neck!

New Jack

World of Sport Wrestling is on. Repeated Sunday mornings, suits my nightlife. Seems pretty good so far! Decent ring work. I like the presentation and what they're trying to do as the wrestling itself is entertaining. Main event has Grado!

Moribunderast

So I watched this week's Impact. It's decent! The small crowd make it feel a little low-rent but the show flowed really well, had some fun matches and good vignettes that were presented in unique ways. The top of the card features Austin Aries, Pentagon Jr., Sami Callihan and Johnny Mundo/Impact, all of whom I like, so it has that going for it. It also had some woman debuting in a weird but potentially very great (or very offensive) angle. Basically a new female wrestler responding to the "revolution" by saying she's here to "make wrestling sexy again". This could either turn into a fun parody of WWE's bullshit female empowerment narrative or it could into Russoesque misogynistic rubbish. We'll see! The debut is HERE if anyone's interested. It seems to have garnered a little attention online, which is good.

I feel like Impact has burned it's bridges so significantly that they'd need to be solidly good/great for a year before gaining any real traction again. I know I've been hearing good things for ages and am only now giving it a go. I hope the show keeps improving because there's certainly good aspects to it and it feels uncomplicated and breezy, like NXT, which is what I want from my American pro-wrasslin'.

Ja'moke

Quote from: New Jack on July 29, 2018, 11:29:31 AM
World of Sport Wrestling is on. Repeated Sunday mornings, suits my nightlife. Seems pretty good so far! Decent ring work. I like the presentation and what they're trying to do as the wrestling itself is entertaining. Main event has Grado!

The camerawork/editing was SO bad. More camera cuts than WWE, which I didn't think was possible. Nauseating to watch.

The actual wrestling was decent though.

mikeyg27

Quote from: Ja'moke on July 29, 2018, 12:35:52 PM
The camerawork/editing was SO bad. More camera cuts than WWE, which I didn't think was possible. Nauseating to watch..

I only caught the end, but they seemed to cut away to crowd shots in the MIDDLE of spots, which was maddening to say the least.

Quote from: Moribunderast on July 29, 2018, 12:28:14 PMI feel like Impact has burned it's bridges so significantly that they'd need to be solidly good/great for a year before gaining any real traction again. I know I've been hearing good things for ages and am only now giving it a go.

This is the perpetual worry with Impact. It always has spells of greatness (I really liked a lot of the Billy Corgan era and I think it's telling that pretty much all the major players from that have been signed back to WWE since) but then craters into terribleness, but it does feel different with new management and the fact that they're actually running PPVs in venues other than the Impact Zone is progress in of itself. If it can still be consistently good by the end of the year then that's a really good sign.

up_the_hampipe

I've got an idea for the WWE Evolution PPV. In the build up, they should have two of the top male stars fight over something really catty, like one calls the other one fat. Then at the PPV they have a two minute match that is awkwardly booked and accomplishes nothing. The only male representation on the card. Let's turn the tables on these MFs!

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 29, 2018, 04:03:59 PM
I've got an idea for the WWE Evolution PPV. In the build up, they should have two of the top male stars fight over something really catty, like one calls the other one fat. Then at the PPV they have a two minute match that is awkwardly booked and accomplishes nothing. The only male representation on the card. Let's turn the tables on these MFs!

That sounds fantastic. If they were self-aware enough to do something like that I would start watching again.

Deanjam

I've got an idea for the WWE Evolution PPV. In the build up, they should have two of the top male stars fight over something really catty, like one calls the other one fat. Then at the PPV they have a two minute match that is awkwardly booked and accomplishes nothing.

Aside from the length of match, that's pretty much the Joe/Reigns match and build at Backlash.

Ja'moke

Balor v Corbin? "You're not as tall as me! LOL!!"

Penfold

Grandmaster Sexay and Nikolai Volkoff dead. (separate incidents)

Deanjam

Z

Jesus, Brian Christopher's death managed to be bleaker than I expected

Wait, TMZ is saying he's on life support?

Deanjam

Quote from: Z on July 29, 2018, 06:02:21 PM
Jesus, Brian Christopher's death managed to be bleaker than I expected

I assumed drugs, but yes, it's even bleaker.

Z

From what I can see, he was in jail for a DUI which occurred several days earlier?
This seems like it's gonna be some crazily grim shit where no one was willing to pay bail and that drove him under.

The TMZ article seems to be playing it safe, he might technically be still alive.

Porter Dimi

Still waiting for confirmation from WWE before reaching any conclusions. That said, I really hope he pulls through if he is still on life support. Addiction is a terrible thing.

Very sad about Volkoff and Brickhouse Brown as well. An awful day for wrestling.

New Jack

Bleak, three in one day. The Lawler story is pretty bad, brain damage after hanging himself in a jail cell, Christ.

Meltzer said Brickhouse Brown had cancer but had no insurance so was treating it with painkillers(!).

boki

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 27, 2018, 07:00:51 PM
Its not unique but its hardly common unless youre playing poker, its not like its a wrestling term.

I'm about 98% certain I've heard of the term 'All-In Wrestling' before, but many years ago, so it fits that the Bullet Club would use it.  WWE have clearly just used it out of spite, though.

gmoney

I associate "All In" with old British wrestling more than US stuff.

BeardFaceMan

Indeed, it was a term associated with Britsh wrestling that hasnt been used for decades, I cant remember the last time I heard 'all in' in reference to wrestling, especially since poker became popular, it was just a little dig for WWE to let them know theyre there.

Ja'moke

Anyone excited for the second Mae Young Classic? I enjoyed last year's tournament a lot, but the line-up (so far) this year is WAY stronger. Should be great.

The line-up so far:

Ashley Rayne (aka Impact's Madison Rayne)
Deonna Purrazzo (well known indie star, competed for ROH and Impact, recently signed to WWE)
Io Shirai (Stardom icon, arguably best women's wrestler in the world, recently signed to WWE)
Isla Dawn (Scot, wrestled for ICW, now part of NXT:UK division)
Jessie Elaban (not familiar, appears to be a former volleyball player that WWE signed)
Jinny (current Progress Women's Champion, one of the best heels in the UK, now part of NXT:UK division)
Kacy Catanzaro (former American Ninja Warrior champ that WWE signed last year)
Kaitlyn (former WWE Divas Champ, one of the more talented wrestlers during WWE's divas era)
Karen Q (wrestles on the indies in the US, has wrestled for ROH)
Kavita Devi (Indian wrestler, trained by Great Khali, was in last year's tournament)
Killer Kelly (Portuguese wrestler, recently appeared at the UK Tournament, signed to NXT:UK)
Lacey Lane (not familiar, former basketball player, recently signed with WWE)
Meiko Satomura (legendary Japanese wrestler, if Io Shirai is not best in the world, maybe Satomura is)
Mercedes Martinez (18 year veteran, former Shimmer champ, made semi finals in last year's tournament)
Mia Yim (another indie veteran, wrestled in Impact for a while, made quarter finals in last year's tournament)
Nicole Matthews (Canadian wrestler, former Shimmer tag champ)
Priscilla Kelly (indie wrestler, mainly works for SHINE)
Reina González (signed with WWE, eliminated first round in last year's tournament)
Rhea Ripley (Australian wrestler, wrestled a lot for Riot City Wrestling, signed with WWE, made second round in last year's tournament)
Taynara Conti (Brazilian wrestler, signed with WWE, eliminated in first round last year)
Tegan Nox (Welsh wrestler, formerly known as Nixon Newell, wrestled for various indies, including Progress)
Toni Storm (Aussie, former Progress Women's champ, part of NXT:UK, made semi finals last year)
Xia Brookside (British indie wrestler, daughter of NXT trainer Robbie Brookside)
Zeuxis (CMLL veterana luchadora)

sevendaughters

yeah can't wait to see Satomura have matches half as good as she regularly does.

up_the_hampipe

I like how they used Brock last night. It was always odd when they'd pay him all this money for appearances and just have him stand next to Heyman doing his little jig. Even did a pleasant little interview with Mike Rome afterwards (legs splayed apart to make Brock look taller) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcoZW_Q1PeU

I thought Brock's acting was pretty alright here as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TgGx2-YsZU