Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Peaked with the first match, it was nasty in a way WWE isn't these days. The screwdriver spot was perfectly executed and you always expect Jeff to be alright but fuck me he hit that table hard.

Tag match was good, one of the few matches with a finish that worked. AJ vs Joe was fine, I feel like every AJ match is just fine. He's obviously a phenomenal (ha) worker but his matches lack pace or emotion or something I can't put my finger on. Decent show overall, which is high praise with the shite non big 4 PPVs they've had recently.

sevendaughters

the wrestling is honestly not that good

mikeyg27

Quote from: Chairman Yang on September 17, 2018, 02:39:53 PM
That one screwdriver spot managed to overshadow the entire clusterfuck ending of the main event.

Yeah, that was a complete waste of a Cell match. Braun and Roman spent the first half going though the motions doing spots we've seen them do before, and the second half wasn't even about them at all. Brock coming in and fucking them both up was just the shitty icing on the cake.

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 17, 2018, 02:44:54 PM
I thought Sted Head had fulfilled his commitments to the WWE following Summerslam? Why is he back, especially considering I thought he was getting ready to face Daniel Comier?

SEVEN FIGURE SAUDI PAY DAY BAY BAY

Ja'moke

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 17, 2018, 02:44:54 PM
I thought Sted Head had fulfilled his commitments to the WWE following Summerslam? Why is he back, especially considering I thought he was getting ready to face Daniel Comier?

Maybe Saudi Arabia has demanded him for their November show.

EDIT: Didn't see Mikey had said the same above.

up_the_hampipe

Brie Bella managing to knock Liv Morgan out with what should have been the simplest of moves https://twitter.com/gifskull/status/1044388465498943488?s=21

I don't think Wrestling fans want to see the Bellas stinking up The Womans division. They really don't fit in now that the work rate has gone through the roof.

mikeyg27

Nikki can just about keep up. What's amazing to me is that Brie (of all the wrestlers on the roster) is working both shows! She should probably just be on Smackdown at this point.

Ja'moke

Brie never could wrestle even back when she was a regular member of the roster. Nikki is at least competent. At this point it's dangerous to put Brie in the ring, she botched those two suicide dives the other week, she knocked Liv out last night, and I also saw a clip on reddit of her delivering a stiff forearm to Ruby's face, which I think is from that same match.

sevendaughters

ah come on if you can't stiff a kick then why am i watching

Ja'moke

sevendaughters

err that's exactly where you'd want to kick someone given half a chance (plus it was an accidental knee contact, it's a physical art, come on).

plus it looks awesome

up_the_hampipe

There's agreed upon stiffness, then there's recklessly knocking your opponent unconscious.

sevendaughters

the actual ko wasn't reckless. everything that happened afterward with the ref and allowing her to get back in was reckless though. it's wrestling. you catch some blows now and again. i've been potatoed in a match pretty hard. guy never meant it and it looked better on tape than his worked shit.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 25, 2018, 01:40:52 PM
the actual ko wasn't reckless.

It was absolutely reckless, even if it wasn't intentional. She didn't just catch her a bit stiff, she got overly excited and kicked her way too hard in the face TWICE. It was such a simple move as well.

Ja'moke

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 25, 2018, 01:31:28 PM
err that's exactly where you'd want to kick someone given half a chance (plus it was an accidental knee contact, it's a physical art, come on).

plus it looks awesome

This isn't UFC though (I know the clip is New Japan), it's fake fighting. She was meant to be kicking her in the chest. She fucked up and kicked her in the head.... twice! Of course it was accidental, but that's the whole point, she is reckless in the ring. Once is a mistake, but when you botch every week it probably means you shouldn't be in the ring. Watching someone getting knocked out for real doesn't look awesome to me.

sevendaughters

it is not reckless to do a planned spot.

and the gif i posted is from wrestling, not UFC.

Ja'moke

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 25, 2018, 01:49:52 PM
it is not reckless to do a planned spot.

and the gif i posted is from wrestling, not UFC.

The planned spot was meant to be TO THE CHEST. She kicked her in the HEAD... TWICE. And I know the clip is wrestling. The point was, watch UFC if you want to see real fighting.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 25, 2018, 01:52:20 PM
The planned spot was meant to be TO THE CHEST. She kicked her in the HEAD... TWICE. And I know the clip is wrestling. The point was, watch UFC if you want to see real fighting.

I'm watching it again and you should pull it up to see Liv drop her head right into the path of Brie's foot. A spot implies consent and that implies the uke knows how to take what tori is giving.

And there's a difference between wanting to see real fighting and wanting a little more realism in the artform. Come on. You're not usually this silly.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 25, 2018, 01:55:31 PM
I'm watching it again and you should pull it up to see Liv drop her head right into the path of Brie's foot. A spot implies consent and that implies the uke knows how to take what tori is giving.

And there's a difference between wanting to see real fighting and wanting a little more realism in the artform. Come on. You're not usually this silly.

She slumps down in the same way each time. You know, selling, right? If Brie kicked a little higher the first time, whatever, but she speeds up and hits her much harder twice in the face while looking right at her.

There are plenty of wrestlers who bring "more realism to the artform" by doing PLANNED stiff spots with opponents. Liv Morgan did not consent to being kicked unconscious by Brie Bella. Yes, there are risks, there are mistakes, but performers can still be held accountable for such avoidable actions. Maybe you shouldn't be wrestling if you're viewing it like that. I wouldn't trust you in the ring. 

Ja'moke

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 25, 2018, 01:55:31 PM

Liv dropped her head after every kick because that is how she sells it, if you watch it again you will see Brie suddenly change her rhythm and speed up, leading her to kick Liv in the head twice. Later in the match she is meant to take a forearm from Ruby but instead plants her own forearm into Ruby's face. She did the same to Miz and Zelina on recent episodes of Smackdown. She almost broke her neck fucking up two suicide dives on Raw a couple of weeks ago. But yes, keep defending Brie.

Wanting realism shouldn't excuse continuous reckless fuck ups.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 25, 2018, 02:06:59 PM
Liv dropped her head after every kick because that is how she sells it, if you watch it again you will see Brie suddenly change her rhythm and speed up, leading her to kick Liv in the head twice. Later in the match she is meant to take a forearm from Ruby but instead plants her own forearm into Ruby's face. She did the same to Miz and Zelina on recent episodes of Smackdown. She almost broke her neck fucking up two suicide dives on Raw a couple of weeks ago. But yes, keep defending Brie.

Wanting realism shouldn't excuse continuous reckless fuck ups.

lol because that's how she sells it, you don't rock your head around while someone throws repeated strikes! you will get tagged. this is day 1 wrestling school. yeah Brie sucks but that's because she's not one of the 5 actually talented women in WWE. doesn't mean she deserves your sanctimony.

Ja'moke

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 25, 2018, 02:10:20 PM
lol because that's how she sells it, you don't rock your head around while someone throws repeated strikes! you will get tagged. this is day 1 wrestling school. yeah Brie sucks but that's because she's not one of the 5 actually talented women in WWE. doesn't mean she deserves your sanctimony.

As up_the_hampipe said, I wouldn't trust you in a wrestling ring!

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 25, 2018, 02:12:58 PM
As up_the_hampipe said, I wouldn't trust you in a wrestling ring!

well I haven't worked for 15 years so neither would I. nonetheless I think your analysis of what went on is wrong, but we're both stubborn, so let's leave it. this said I think Nikki's Misawa forearms is more reckless because she often doesn't know where her entry point is.

hey Tanahashi vs. Okada was great, who'd have thunk that!

BeardFaceMan

Theres a difference between working stiff and being shit. Brie is definitely the latter, strong style she ain't.

sevendaughters

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 25, 2018, 02:18:02 PM
Theres a difference between working stiff and being shit. Brie is definitely the latter, strong style she ain't.

absolutely. they're not mutually exclusive either. and you really have to question the selling here. like it wasn't AJ's fault when Lionheart and Yoshitatsu tucked their heads even though he expressly said get your head forward. watch any video of a Daniel Bryan kick series and tell me if you see uke rocking around like they're on one of those things on a spring in the park, you know, near the slide, looks like a caterpillar.

BeardFaceMan

To me it doesnt even look like she dropped her head down, when she was selling the kicks to the chest her head was rocking back but it wasnt dropping down, she was keeping her head level, well out of the way to any kick coming into her chest. Then Brie changed the tempo of her kicks and caught her in the face (looks like the adrenalin might have got to her because the first face kick was thrown a little higher than the previous ones). Then her head dropped because shed just been kicked in the face by an amateur and she got kicked in the face again. Because that wasnt stiff or snug or realistic, it was someone with a history of fucking up spots fucking up a spot.

sevendaughters

her head goes all the way back and then way too far forward. you can't just stop on a dime when delivering a kick series unless you have the body control of an AJ or a Kenta. Morgan has had less than 3 years in the ring and she shouldn't be trying to sell like Curt Hennig when she can barely do a headlock takeover. Brie sucks too but those kicks were fine. That's my position.

Ja'moke

Liv sells rather enthusiastically, but the only time her head goes too far forward is after she is kicked in the face, and then she gets kicked in the face again.

hummingofevil

I think the issue with this Brie stuff is people are piling on her because the mistakes she makes (all this stuff is just mistakes) is not offset by her being any good the rest of the time. It's harsh on her but it's very hypocritical too. That mad shit Kevin Owens bump is way more dangerous than anything Brie does but we all lap it up because there is reward of the risk is avoided.

Same with NJPW. I was loving Hiromu's matches knowing full well it's only a matter of time he's going to fuck himself. Same with Osprey and how Naito not dead I'll never know. Ultimately it's on the companies to save the performers from themselves and, I suppose, the fans.

Deanjam

It's not so much Brie botching (although she's done quite a few lately), it's more that Liv was allowed to continue in the match. The wrestlers, referee, doctor & back stage personnel all fucked up there. It doesn't matter if Liv was saying she was okay they should know to recognise when some one has been concussed.