Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Stephanie & Vince watching AJ's entrance at SD1000 is not creepy at all.

Ja'moke

Becky Lynch is sooo good. That segment with Edge was ace.

Really enjoyed Batista too. He was a little awkward, but it felt very real and heartfelt.

This has been way better than the Raw 25th anniversary show.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 17, 2018, 02:43:18 AM
This has been way better than the Raw 25th anniversary show.

Agreed. I laughed hard at the Big Show heel turn out of nowhere. A WWE tradition.

Utter Shit

Anyone watching NXT UK? Pretty bloody good so far.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 17, 2018, 08:40:25 PM
Anyone watching NXT UK? Pretty bloody good so far.

Just started. I like the venue. Has a Lucha Underground's temple vibe.

Utter Shit

I wasn't sure about the venue at first but quickly forgot about it.

Has anyone read the Titan Sinking/Shattered/Screwed trilogy of books about mid-90s WWF? I've rinsed all the notable wrestling books I'm aware of except for these three as they never seem to be available for the dirt cheap prices I love, but if they're worth it I'll pick them up. Alternatively, can anyone recommend any good books (ideally not autobiographies) about the late 80s/early 90s WWF and Attitude Era/early 2000s WWE? I'm on a mad nostalgia train for the wrestling of my childhood and teens at the moment.

Deanjam

I presume you've read 'Sex, Lies & Headlocks'?

Utter Shit

Yep that was a good one, if I remember right it mainly focused on the business side of things?

mikeyg27

My sister bought me this recently for 50p in Oxfam. It's not got any stories that you probably don't know already, and I only bring it up because it's legitimately the worst typeset book I've ever seen. It uses Caibri for heading titles - that's the level of thought that's gone into it. The fact that it appears to retail for £13.99 on Amazon right now is downright laughable.

Still though, it reminded me of Samoa Joe and the ninjas.

Utter Shit

Christ that looks like it was knocked up in ten minutes.

Then again Scott Keith's books all look like a pile of shit and I love them, if only as a timeline of the period when I was most into wrestling.

Deanjam

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 18, 2018, 12:00:24 PM
Yep that was a good one, if I remember right it mainly focused on the business side of things?

Yes, primarily Vince McMahon's dealings with networks and such. He's a mad bastard as we all know.

Deanjam

Justin Roberts' autobiography is apparently a good read for juicy behind the scenes WWE stuff.

Utter Shit

Yeah I've heard that, maybe I should give it a go. I don't tend to like the autobiographies that much, Foley's first one notwithstanding they always seem to be either full of shit or horribly bitter. Bischoff's autobiography is almost worthless as a historical piece but is fascinating as a character study of someone who is so wrapped up in his own ego he no longer knows the difference between 
truth and fiction.

Any other biographies that are really worth the mad prices they go for? I've heard Hardcore Holly's and Regal's are good?

Deanjam

The Brian Pillman one is almost universally loved.

sevendaughters

the original release of Bret Hart's autobiography is unputdownable, absolutely amazing read that for my money knocks Foley's into a cocked hat.

Utter Shit

I've got Bret's one, how do I know if it's the original? It was interesting and felt a lot more honest than most histories, but the bitterness running through it made it tough going at times.

I'm not sure I even knew Pillman had one, I'm not sure I'd get much out of it as his time was during the period when I didn't watch (watched as a little kid until 92, then got into it again in a massive way in 2000 until 2002ish)

mikeyg27

The quarter-finals episode of the Mae Young Classic is hard to watch. Like, holding back tears and feeling nauseous for a while afterwards hard. My attempts at staying spoiler-free failed a while ago so I knew this episode was coming but that didn't really make it any easier. If anything, it cast a shadow over the rest of proceedings. I think WWE production handled it about as well as they could have, TBH.

Mobius

Bianca Belair and Nicki Cross are fantastic. NXT is great

Moribunderast

Quote from: mikeyg27 on October 18, 2018, 11:07:56 PM
The quarter-finals episode of the Mae Young Classic is hard to watch. Like, holding back tears and feeling nauseous for a while afterwards hard. My attempts at staying spoiler-free failed a while ago so I knew this episode was coming but that didn't really make it any easier. If anything, it cast a shadow over the rest of proceedings. I think WWE production handled it about as well as they could have, TBH.

Oh wow - I have stayed spoiler-free and am going to watch it tonight. Absolutely no idea what to expect but now I'm somewhat afraid!

NXT this week was so great. The Main Event would have been better with an ending but I'm guessing they'll have some sort of blow-off match at Takeover? If I hadn't completely lost faith in main roster WWE booking I would say that Belair is an undeniable star in the making. Nikki Cross' over-acting still annoys me at times but she can also be very entertaining - the closing angle with her and Aleister was brilliant and it's killing me staying spoiler-free because I really want to know who attacked him! I've had my guess (Candice) up to this point but I think the whole who-dunnit angle has been done incredibly well. I'm with Vinny from the Bryan & Vinny show - this year in NXT may be the best year a televised weekly wrestling show has ever had. I've already mentioned how there's been awesome matches every other week but the angles and characters have been top notch as well. It's such a shame these talents aren't done justice when they move up from NXT because the developmental promotion lays the clear blueprint most times in how best to utilize each character.

We should feel so happy for them to get the call up, but it's like being happy for a cow that they've been taken away for slaughter.

"Daddy, what happened to my rabbit, Andrade "Cien" Almas?"

"He had to go away to SmackDown. But don't be sad. I got you a cat called Adam Cole to look after instead."

"He's perfect! I'm never going to stop loving him!"

Moribunderast

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 19, 2018, 10:42:56 AM
We should feel so happy for them to get the call up, but it's like being happy for a cow that they've been taken away for slaughter.

"Daddy, what happened to my rabbit, Andrade "Cien" Almas?"

"He had to go away to SmackDown. But don't be sad. I got you a cat called Adam Cole to look after instead."

"He's perfect! I'm never going to stop loving him!"

When I watch NJPW currently with Kota Ibushi tearing it up and becoming my favourite wrestler on the planet, I think back to the alternate universe where he signs with WWE after the Cruiserweight Classic and is now wrestling on 205 Live in front of bored audiences. Vince will take one look at Adam Cole and have Baron Corbin dwarf-tossing him on Raw while Fish, O'Reilly and Strong have endless 5-minute matches with The Revival on Main Event.

Ja'moke

Agreed that NXT is having its best run of episodes ever. Great matches every week, so many fun characters, and the "Who attacked Black?" story has been so well done.

Moribunderast

Mental (but quite specific) rumours abound today about Jericho and JR trying to sign the Elite in order to kickstart a new promotion! Sounds like there's something to the story as Bryan Alvarez on his radio show brought up the rumours and said they were "premature" as opposed to complete bullshit. I feel like all involved in this hypothetical scenario would be better served just staying in New Japan but if it's real and they have the balls to try it, I'd wish them all the best. I couldn't imagine the level of vitriol to come from WWE if Jim Ross and Chris Jericho led something they saw as competition.

Rumour goes:

QuoteThe groundwork is being laid for a new wrestling promotion. It involves some of the top players in the industry and financial backing from a billionaire family already involved in professional sports.

Jim Ross and Chris Jericho have been working with renowned agent Barry Bloom in putting the pieces together. JR’s contract with WWE expires shortly and he has declined an offer to renew. He has been sending out feelers to select WWE performers, while Jericho has been handling the New Japan side. Bloom was recently in Japan taking meetings related to this deal.

The project is being financed by the Khan family. Shahid Khan, the patriarch, is one of the wealthiest men on the world (and a colorful personality). He owns the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham F.C. of the English Premier League. Shahid’s son, Tony, is a big wrestling fan and has been hands-on with getting this off the ground. He follows a few wrestlers on Twitter, including Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks and Marty Scurll.

Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks are on board, as are Hangman Page and a few others. Kenny Omega’s status is unclear. For what it’s worth, Bill Goldberg is a client of Barry Bloom, along with JR and Jericho. When The Elite has talked about sticking together next year, this is what they’ve been alluding to. Jim Ross has been coy about this on his podcast, vaguely teasing something big on the horizon without showing his cards.

With the A-level talent they are getting commitments from, the group will burn through a ton of cash quickly. They are moving forward with the understanding that significant losses are expected for the first couple years.

Talks are underway with AXS to secure a TV deal. AXS TV executive Adam Swift is fast-tracking this. AXS currently airs New Japan Pro Wrestling and recently announced Jeanie Buss’ Women of Wrestling premieres in January. Sinclair Broadcasting, which provided logistical support for All In and has been acting in good faith, has been in the dark about this story.

The timeline for this going live is 12-16 months from now (late 2019 / early 2020).

We’ve reached out to the involved parties for comment and will update this article if necessary.

Golden E. Pump

Jericho and JR have two of the best wrestling minds in the industry, this could be genuinely exciting.

I don't believe it's true though.

BeardFaceMan

Jericho sent out a tweet saying as much but then he has a history of fucking with smarks on twitter so it'll be interesting to see what develops.

Moribunderast

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 20, 2018, 01:29:38 PM
Jericho sent out a tweet saying as much but then he has a history of fucking with smarks on twitter so it'll be interesting to see what develops.

Saw Jericho's tweet - with him I'd take a denial as a near-confirmation, haha. It sounds so far-fetched and weird. I'll be interested to hear what Meltzer has to say about it in the coming days. It'd be such a massive undertaking that even if they are currently floating the possibility, there'd still be a 95% chance nothing ever comes of it. Still, this has already been a bizarre year in wrestling so it would be a fitting news story to round out 2018. JR and 2018 give-no-fucks Jericho running a wrestling promotion would be utterly fascinating. Bring Heyman into the fold and I'd pay more for a backstage documentary than I would an actual PPV show...

mikeyg27

GIven the amount Fox paid to WWE and the success of The Elite and All In, it's not that surprising that someone else with money to burn decided that there's a market for this. There has also been pretty strong rumours in the last few weeks that all the wrestlers hate the new management at New Japan, and that a lot more wrestlers (including The Elite) are considering their options now whereas a few months ago they seemed locked in to NJPW (Cody's 'need to band together' tweet wasn't just a shot at WWE).

Honestly, the only element of this I find surprising is Jericho. This seems like too much of a long term commitment for his current career arc.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: mikeyg27 on October 20, 2018, 04:54:39 PM
GIven the amount Fox paid to WWE and the success of The Elite and All In, it's not that surprising that someone else with money to burn decided that there's a market for this. There has also been pretty strong rumours in the last few weeks that all the wrestlers hate the new management at New Japan, and that a lot more wrestlers (including The Elite) are considering their options now whereas a few months ago they seemed locked in to NJPW (Cody's 'need to band together' tweet wasn't just a shot at WWE).

Honestly, the only element of this I find surprising is Jericho. This seems like too much of a long term commitment for his current career arc.

A few years ago I would never have even considered the possibilty that Jericho would be involved in something like this, he was the very definition of a company man. This new "no fucks" Jericho though, it could be possible. And thats a big fucking name that carries a lot of weight,  would be exciting if he was involved.

New Jack

as long as he doesn't use the "word" froot

Z

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 20, 2018, 06:26:46 PM
A few years ago I would never have even considered the possibilty that Jericho would be involved in something like this, he was the very definition of a company man. This new "no fucks" Jericho though, it could be possible. And thats a big fucking name that carries a lot of weight,  would be exciting if he was involved.
Wasn't he willing to walk from the company for good when they were opposed to him doing some sort of game show?

Don't think he's ever been a company man tbh, just knew the value of being on good terms with WWE giving him the security to be allowed do other stuff