Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 08, 2018, 03:15:29 PM
apparently Bret kept an audio diary all that time. his book is incredible, not the edited version that got re-released. a friend of mine did an awesome summary of the book called Too Poor For Real Pants, which if you google can still be found (edit: removed, sadly!)

Ace, that's getting googled.

Bret missed a trick not calling his book  Piss-Sharing With Your Son, though

... New page perfection

sevendaughters

sent it to you via PM, it's been taken offline. just looking at it now, some great bits.

Ivan Koloff was Russian even around THA BOYZ. When Bret was like, "You're Red McNulty from Winnepeg. I watched you have your first match, with Firpo Zybysko, in Calgary," Koloff was like christ you are killing me here kid.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: New Jack on August 08, 2018, 03:10:37 PM
This is why I enjoy New Jack shoots! He just talks openly about doing cocaine, who he was doing it with, who pissed him off, who is a 'bitch' backstage (Taz is a scaredy cat and so are the Dudleys!). It's stuff nobody else says, and 95% of it is trashy, disgusting stuff you'd expect, like ring rats in hotels, who did what on what drugs, and who hates who.

Oh, and wanting to run Missy Hyatt over with a lawnmower. Factual as you can get. New Jack had a mini flirtation with the mainstream considering, well, considering it's New Jack. 'Denzel's friend' , Geraldo...

I think Bret's book is pretty good, though I question how he can remember exact words from drunken conversations thirty years ago.

But if I could choose one person to have a no-holds-barred biography about... You've said it. Vince McMahon, hands down.

I became obsessed with New Jack for while after seeing one of his shoots, the guy is charismatic as fuck and genuinely fucking crazy. It was a story about Terri Runnels(?) tossing his salad amd having shit all over her chin that made me think "yes, I want to hear more from this man" He's someone who genuinely doesnt give a fuck and is not afraid of anybody so I can believe most of the stuff he says is true, he doesnt even shy away from admitting hes tried to kill people while wrestling and that hes stabbed people in the ring.

He got me interested in the whole shoot interview thing too, its just so hard to know what to believe with most wrestlers, whats actually true, are they settling old scores, making shit up because they hate somebody etc, I felt like Jack was one of the people who would tell it like it was. It was usually the ECW guys who gave the best shoot interviews, the ex-WWE guys, even long retired ones, are still usually too frightened of pissing off Vince to say anything bad incase they screw up their legends deal or dont get picked for the next gimmick battle royale when WWE get nostalgic.

I mean theres next to no chance that someone like Vince would keep a diary, I cant see him being one for self-reflection, but holy shit they would be gold. If someone found a stash of those after he died...then they would probably get burned because if they were ever released a lot of people would end up getting arrested.  But yeah, hes the holy grail of shoots, I often wonder if he would consider a warts and all biography now hes getting nearer to death but he thinks hes never going to die so I cant imagine him doing something like that, sadly. Just have to hope he goes senile and starts shooting his mouth off.

I was going to read Brets book as aggrieved people usually do good tell-alls but it felt like he was a little *too* bitter, like he might embellish a bit too much to get back at Vince, is it worth a go? He was the first wrestler I was a fan of back in the day when he was with the Hart Foundation, but a big part of that was down to The Anvil stroking his beard and laughing a lot, and also because I thought Shawn Michaels was a cunt even when he was with The Rockers.

sevendaughters

so much of Bret's book, particularly the amusing tales, takes place a long time before he works for Vince. It does get bitter as it winds on but the serious back third don't derail things like:

I liked Germany, the people, the food, the open-mindedness. Jochem [a homicide detective
that showed him around Germany -- KS] arranged for Jim and me to have the use of a cheap car,
so every day we went to the co-ed Sport Fitness Zentrum, where we sweated out the previous
night's alcohol. When we showered, hard-bodied Fräuleins with unshaven armpits would
eagerly soap our backs. We'd return the favour, laughing and giggling like little kids. Every
night after the show, Jochem took Jim and me to sex clubs, lesbian bars and brothels where he
conducted undercover police work.

BeardFaceMan

There are different versions of Brets book though, I should try and get the original release?

sevendaughters

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 08, 2018, 04:27:37 PM
There are different versions of Brets book though, I should try and get the original release?

Yes. Later versions got butchered.

New Jack

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 08, 2018, 03:51:09 PM
I became obsessed with New Jack for while after seeing one of his shoots,

So this is what it feels like when doves cry when jobbers blade! His shoots are great, I might have seen them all. He's so funny, and yes, real as it gets. He ruined other shoots for me really.

There's a book by Sean Oliver called Kayfabe I read, he does tons of the shoot videos. Gave me a decent understanding of the sheer fucking effort to get one done, and unsurprisingly most wrestlers are basically arseholes who turn up, make stupid demands, want money up front and don't even necessarily give good shoots. New Jack, paradoxically to his reputation, is very professional and is described as one of the easier guys to manage.

Ego seems to be the key thing, and yes, all those boring old stars who feel they have ONE MORE RUN are too afraid to upset Vince. (Anyone with sense knows the more you slate Vince the more he wants you back!)

QuoteI was going to read Brets book as aggrieved people usually do good tell-alls but it felt like he was a little *too* bitter, like he might embellish a bit too much to get back at Vince, is it worth a go? He was the first wrestler I was a fan of back in the day when he was with the Hart Foundation, but a big part of that was down to The Anvil stroking his beard and laughing a lot, and also because I thought Shawn Michaels was a cunt even when he was with The Rockers.

I got the kindle version years ago and it mentions Davey Boy doing crack and Bret fucking random women so it doesn't seem too butchered... But I can absolutely recommend it. I did not think he was too biased, and the bits that are, well, I understand why. It's the great warts and all autobiography.

The Montreal section is pretty balanced considering, quite close to what Meltzer has said, it's not that bitter - though there are certainly parts of it that are - I just found the second half got fucking depressing, and the best stuff is early in his career. But that accurately reflected his life, so hardly a book criticism.

Easily my favourite pro graps autobiography (my favourite pro graps books are probably Death of WCW - I saw Eric Bischoff do a live Q&A who basically called it fiction, and Rd Reynolds is going to Starrcast end of this month to debate that with him! - and Shaun Assael's Sex, Lies and Headlocks)

.. Diana Hart's book sounds hilarious, though for the opposite reason to why Bret's is good!

magval

How would I find an original copy of Bret's book then?

Z

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 08, 2018, 03:51:09 PM
like he might embellish a bit too much to get back at Vince
Bret always strikes me more as the sort who will be ruthlessly honest to tear people down, happily throwing himself under the bus if it drags them down with him.

He's only really seriously iffy when it comes down to more subjective stuff, has an insanely high opinion of himself and will rip apart others for tiny (but usually somewhat correct) things

BeardFaceMan

I think a problem with a lot of the older school guys is that they lived kayfabe, lying wasn't just part of the job it was part of their life. It's very hard to give that up, the lying becomes second nature and they can't stop deceiving people. That's why a lot of guys start believing their gimmick (Taz is a good example of this), that constant blurring of fact and fiction fucks with peoples heads until they can't tell them apart themselves. Wrestlers are unreliable witnesses at best but if you read a few different version of events you can usually suss what really happened, its just that that kind of thing doesnt happen very often. Shame, as I've found the backstage shenanigans and real life mentalness a lot more entertaining than the in ring action for years now, I'd much rather watch/read about that.

sevendaughters

you might like the Bad News Brown/Allen shoot. The questions jump around the timeline and they don't spend enough time with his actual Olympic judo medal winning career, but he is a man who worked a lot of big names and isn't afraid to stuff like Andre was a massive racist or this guy couldn't work. There's less sex and drugs because he was clean and had a family, but it's very honest and direct.

New Jack

Not that I'm clamouring for drug deaths and cheating on wives and such but some of the stars today probably won't have very controversial biographies.

Bray Wyatt and Dean Ambrose believe in ghosts ffs. Though Ambrose sold drugs as a youth, I believe, and his CZW days sounded pretty hardcore

Won't embed as its grisly, but look at this blade job! (it's a gimmicked saw though, don't freak)
https://statics.sportskeeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/tumblr_m11newneen1r46dd6o1_500-1397985035-1-1443182070-800.jpg

Mind you, with the old generations, it's funny how many ended up born again Christians. Must be something about the lifestyle. Regrets, maybe. But the industry has changed for the better and it's churlish of me to stamp my feet, blade, and shout I WANT BETTER SHOOTS!

New Jack

Quote from: magval on August 08, 2018, 05:30:30 PM
How would I find an original copy of Bret's book then?

Weirdly, my local library have Bret's book (and the WWE Encyclopedia... Which was surprisingly good)

Ja'moke

Quote from: New Jack on August 08, 2018, 10:32:52 PM
Not that I'm clamouring for drug deaths and cheating on wives and such but some of the stars today probably won't have very controversial biographies.

Bray Wyatt and Dean Ambrose believe in ghosts ffs. Though Ambrose sold drugs as a youth, I believe, and his CZW days sounded pretty hardcore
!

Wyatt cheated on his wife with JoJo.

BeardFaceMan

Look at the stuff Paige, Woods and the other fella (blanking on his name) got up to, they must fuck each other senseless when they get back to the hotel, its not like they can go out causing chaos and hooking up with people like they used to with phone cameras about,  they have to be a lot more careful. Its not like theyve stopped partying, they just do it among themselves rather than in public.

The stories about sex, drinking, drugs, ribs etc are good but I like stories about the business side of things, stories behind the angles, Montreal Screwjob, why The Rock would never work with Shawn Michaels (always loved him for that), the politicking that goes on backstage, the kliqs, that sort of thing. Jerichos and Foleys books are good for this kind of stuff, if a little corporate.

New Jack

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 08, 2018, 10:54:20 PM
Wyatt cheated on his wife with JoJo.

Haha, I googled that and found the Daily Mail covering it. The comments were predictable.

Seth's affair is probably the most scandalous in recent years, with Paige's cumbelt. Nothing touches the old Dirty Stories thread on the Death Valley Driver forums though. Mostly a joke, but Hacksaw having a blender with a Dildo attached to make it spin is too good to NOT be true!

I don't think it's as druggy as it used to be, though who knows? There's plenty of sex stories. I like the politics though, the interpersonal problems, the stupid arguments and grudges...

Ja'moke

Yeah the current lockerroom seems to generally get along and are very supportive of each other, with their main vices being video games. I'm basing all of this on Xaiver Woods' YouTube channel.

By the way, New Day v The Bar put on a stormer of a match on Smackdown last night.

Also, it looks like we could be heading for Bayley/Sasha v Becky/Charlotte (for new tag titles) at Evolution given that little dig at Sasha and Bayley. Not to mention WWE tagging Becky and Charlotte as Fire & Flair on social media. Which means Carmella is likely to retain at Summerslam.

Where is Asuka?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 08, 2018, 11:47:09 PM
Yeah the current lockerroom seems to generally get along and are very supportive of each other, with their main vices being video games. I'm basing all of this on Xaiver Woods' YouTube channel.

Where is Asuka?

You could also base it on those other videos he made that became available. These people work hard and they play hard.

Theyve totally fucked up Asuka havent they? I think her loss against Charlotte was the first time I saw her and was hugely impressed, other than the result. Is she just going throught the ridiculous WWE cycle of 'build them up and then knock them down to make sure they know their place, thereby undoing all the hard work we did building them up'? If I was shit hot in NXT right now I'd never want to be 'promoted' to the main roster.

BeardFaceMan

So with Jerichos buddy in charge of TNA now the rumour is that he may appear on Impact at some point. I think working in Japan and doing this cruise has made him realise he can have just as much fun and make just as much money on the indies as he can with WWE and he can put on better matches too, not to mention not having to deal with WWEs ridiculous work schedule. He may not so bothered about not upsetting Vince any more now he knows he has other options.

New Jack

Found a screenshot I took of the WWE "New Jack vs Roman" article!

BeardFaceMan

And now it seems Colt Cabana is suing CM Punk for over a million dollars as Punk promised to pay his legal fees and is now refusing. This should be interesting, it's certainly more interesting than watching RAW.

New Jack

Punk's a lovely lad isn't he?

They should settle it in the octagon!!

Colt would win

up_the_hampipe

Lots jumping to Colt's defence and calling Punk a dickhead yet again. No one knows the full story here. In the email to Colt, Punk said "I gave up on you doing what is right a long time ago".

Punk is an ornery guy, but I've never seen him cut someone off without reason that is at least somewhat understandable.

New Jack

.... What I find odd is, they won, and I distinctly remember it being reported that Amann would cover the legal fees?

Deanjam

Apparently they'd have to sue Amman for the legal fees. You can't claim them as the defendant.

gmoney

My immediate instinct is to slam Punk as he's such a wally, but it doesn't quite add up. Cabana is a absolute tit as well, but it's still a sad situation. It's pretty awful that you can end up destitute (potentially in Cabana's case) just for defending yourself. 

New Jack

Quote from: Deanjam on August 10, 2018, 11:58:52 AM
Apparently they'd have to sue Amman for the legal fees. You can't claim them as the defendant.

Ugh yeah, I just googled it and it's Illinois law, you can't get them in a defamation suit.

Still begs the question why they aren't suing Amann for this money. Unless that's not allowed or something, which is a fucking terrible legal system

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 10, 2018, 11:26:04 AM
Lots jumping to Colt's defence and calling Punk a dickhead yet again. No one knows the full story here. In the email to Colt, Punk said "I gave up on you doing what is right a long time ago".

Punk is an ornery guy, but I've never seen him cut someone off without reason that is at least somewhat understandable.

Like how he cut Corey Graves out of his life (Punk was the first person to hold Graves child as Graves was on the road at the time) when he left WWE simply because Graves continued to work there. Not sure what the full story is on this and it will be interesting to unfold but Punk is clearly not a people person and a bit of a dick.

boki

Pretty sure Punk fell out with Colt over the latter being friends with people still in WWE, guy's got some serious control issues.

BeardFaceMan

Indeed, he talks about loyalty a lot but what he means by that he he expects unquestioning loyalty from his friends to him and if they don't do exactly as he wants he cuts them out of his life completely, loyalty to others is a foreign concept to him. But being a dick is what made him such a good performer, it just gets a bit disappointing to hear just how much of a dick he can be. Is he still close with Samoa Joe these days or has that stopped now Joe is in the WWE?

Edit - I think the saddest part of all this is that all Colt did was give his friend a platform to air his grievances and he had the arse sued off him for it. Now he's left with a huge legal bill and no friend. He was only being sued for distribution of the podcast wasn't he, it wasn't for anything he said?