Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:23:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling Thread: the New Generation

Started by Z, July 26, 2018, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

I'm not normally one to look at Twitter but I must say, it's well worth it to check out Becky Lynch's feed. She's been absolutely annihilating Rousey in the lead-up to their match - to a degree where Ronda actually comes off embarrassingly limp trying to keep up. I've always been a fan but I actually can't believe how much momentum Becky has right now and just how great a character she's become. She carries herself with such poise and just feels like the biggest deal in the whole company. Here's hoping they give her just due. It sounds like she's going to get the Ronda Wrestlemania match, which could even be the Main Event. What a wild thing that would be for her. And, if that does happen, just how resentful will Charlotte be of Nia Jax? Has potentially cost her the honour of being half of the first ever women's 'Mania Main Event. The clumsy oaf.

Z

Paul Heyman wrote that Millennial Man stuff Ronda was shiteing on about? Jesus...

Timothy

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 16, 2018, 07:29:22 AM
I'm not normally one to look at Twitter but I must say, it's well worth it to check out Becky Lynch's feed. She's been absolutely annihilating Rousey in the lead-up to their match - to a degree where Ronda actually comes off embarrassingly limp trying to keep up. I've always been a fan but I actually can't believe how much momentum Becky has right now and just how great a character she's become. She carries herself with such poise and just feels like the biggest deal in the whole company. Here's hoping they give her just due. It sounds like she's going to get the Ronda Wrestlemania match, which could even be the Main Event. What a wild thing that would be for her. And, if that does happen, just how resentful will Charlotte be of Nia Jax? Has potentially cost her the honour of being half of the first ever women's 'Mania Main Event. The clumsy oaf.

She can Twitter trash talk all she wants but at the end of the day Rousey will be victorious (as it should be).

Ja'moke

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 16, 2018, 07:29:22 AM

It really is quite incredible when you think where Becky was this time last year. Or even six months ago. She really has taken the ball and ran with it. And as you say, apparently she is now getting Ronda in the main event of WrestleMania, which is crazy. And this is really good for the "#WomensEvolution" because it doesn't feel as cynical as all that. It's just a good feud that has fans invested. It's not presented as some groundbreaking "first" (although it could become that if it headlines Mania and Stephanie gets her hands on it).

Daniel Bryan turned heel and won the WWE title this week, and all people are talking about his Becky, Ronda, and Nia.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Timothy on November 16, 2018, 10:09:03 AM
She can Twitter trash talk all she wants but at the end of the day Rousey will be victorious (as it should be).

Of course Ronda will win their match but, even as a big fan of Ronda, I have to say that Becky is massively outshining her in their feud and comes across as the much cooler and more interesting character of the two. I understand you're not a fan but for me, as someone who rarely has any interest in main roster WWE, this Becky character is reaching pipe bomb CM Punk/WM30 Daniel Bryan-levels of actually making me care and consider tuning into the shows she's on.

Either way, this injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise because Ronda and Becky seem to have very good chemistry and Becky is a hotter character than Charlotte so that match will be ideal for Wrestlemania. It might even help Charlotte as I think she is/was veering very close to getting Roman heat if her push continued at the expense of Becky.

up_the_hampipe

Becky is supposed to be a heel at this point, right? Her tweets may be stronger than any of Rousey's attempts, but she is purely pandering to everything wrestling fans want to hear, and there's no way Ronda could win this even if she had some good comebacks. Becky can tweet anything that sounds vaguely like a slam, and there'd be hundreds of "GOT EM" GIFs in the comments. When Ronda made her Insta post about Becky getting punched in the face, literally everyone made the comparison to Ronda's first UFC loss (it was a bullshit comparison anyway, as I'm sure Ronda has been socked in the face many times before that humiliating loss on the world stage), and Becky came back saying the exact same thing. Heels need to be objectionable, not standing with the cool crowd.

Moribunderast

I think she turned face this week when she hugged Charlotte (ironically the only thing she's done recently that the live crowd hasn't cheered her for, because they want her to be Stone Cold, not a hugger) but, yeah, she's been a heel for the majority of the build-up but her character is less a delusional coward heel and more a pissed off fighting heel so her online comments are fair enough, I think.

New Jack

Legend Enzo

QuoteFormer WWE wrestler Enzo Amore (real name Eric Arndt) was kicked off a flight from New York to Los Angeles before takeoff on Thursday.

Pro Wrestling Sheet and TMZ reported that Amore was kicked off the Delta Airlines flight from John F. Kennedy International Airport for vaping on the plane, with Pro Wrestling Sheet noting that Amore wouldn't follow instructions from flight attendants when he was told to stop vaping.

TMZ reported that Port Authority police were called to the plane but didn't arrest Amore. TMZ's report also states that Delta refused to put Amore on another flight.

Timothy

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 16, 2018, 10:28:25 AM
Becky is supposed to be a heel at this point, right? Her tweets may be stronger than any of Rousey's attempts, but she is purely pandering to everything wrestling fans want to hear, and there's no way Ronda could win this even if she had some good comebacks. Becky can tweet anything that sounds vaguely like a slam, and there'd be hundreds of "GOT EM" GIFs in the comments. When Ronda made her Insta post about Becky getting punched in the face, literally everyone made the comparison to Ronda's first UFC loss (it was a bullshit comparison anyway, as I'm sure Ronda has been socked in the face many times before that humiliating loss on the world stage), and Becky came back saying the exact same thing. Heels need to be objectionable, not standing with the cool crowd.

Exactly the reason why I am no Becky fan. She is the cool heel that wants cheers. I like the real heels.

Z

Becky isn't even the cool heel, she's a total face, too likeable and nice to be able to do proper heel antics is any kind of sustainable way.

What the heel turn done is gave her an opportunity to break away from being some kind of quirky lovable gobshite and get a bit more meat to her character. It'd be dumb to push her as a heel, her vs Ronda as two different kinds of faces can work fine and I think the audience would be well up for it.

New Jack

Meltzer said she is a babyface now ("turning without turning").... though her Twitter is still heeltastic

Dannyhood91

Ja'moke

I don't think Becky is a heel, even if that was the initial intention, they backed away from that pretty quickly. She just became more aggressive and wasn't about to take shit anymore. But she still appreciates the fans and wants their adoration. It helps that she's one of the most natural sounding promos in WWE.

Also, Ronda's comebacks look weak because she keeps pushing this "Millennial Man" stuff, despite being two days older than Becky. Not to mention she basically said that WWE is fake in that first tweet about Nia's punch. I mean, come on, kayfabe, people!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 16, 2018, 01:15:47 PM
I don't think Becky is a heel, even if that was the initial intention, they backed away from that pretty quickly. She just became more aggressive and wasn't about to take shit anymore.

On Raw this week, she jumped Ronda in the locker room and injured her arm. When Ronda came out to confront her, she escaped the ring and then assaulted Ronda from behind with a chair. She's playing the heel role.

Timothy

Yeah. And the fact that its difficult to tell whether shes a face or heel is proof that she isnt doing a very good job.

Alexa and Carmella did it much better.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Timothy on November 16, 2018, 01:36:14 PM
Yeah. And the fact that its difficult to tell whether shes a face or heel is proof that she isnt doing a very good job.

Except people want to see Ronda vs. Becky whereas nobody ever really anticipated an Alexa or Carmella match.

Deanjam

Couldn't care less if she's heel or face, she's damned entertaining.

Timothy

Quote from: Moribunderast on November 16, 2018, 01:39:02 PM
Except people want to see Ronda vs. Becky whereas nobody ever really anticipated an Alexa or Carmella match.

Im not that bothered about becky vs ronda because becky is quite a boring champ where I was always entertained by Carmella and really enjoyed Alexas reign. Becky has no character. Imo she is the female version of Finn. Great in ring, dull otherwise.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Timothy on November 16, 2018, 01:36:14 PM

Alexa and Carmella just did the bitchy mean girl thing which has been done a million times, it's boring. And they used the "I'm sorry... SORRY I didn't do it SOONER" trope so much, now Ruby is doing it too. Not their fault, it's obviously the limits of the writing staff.

The fact that it's hard to tell whether Becky is face or heel is irrelevant to me. It's about is she entertaining me. And she is. In all facets. Her promos, her character, her matches.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 16, 2018, 01:24:26 PM
On Raw this week, she jumped Ronda in the locker room and injured her arm. When Ronda came out to confront her, she escaped the ring and then assaulted Ronda from behind with a chair. She's playing the heel role.

I would say she's playing a tweener then. Either way, it's entertaining.

You guys had your long drawn out Alexa and Carmella title reigns. Let us have this!

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on November 16, 2018, 02:19:36 PM
You guys had your long drawn out Alexa and Carmella title reigns. Let us have this!

Hey, I'm on your side. I'm saying all of this as a fan of Becky.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 16, 2018, 02:49:34 PM
Hey, I'm on your side. I'm saying all of this as a fan of Becky.

I know, I wasn't been wholly serious with that last comment.

Overall, I'm happy that women's wrestling is the talk of the wrestling world right now.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 16, 2018, 01:24:26 PM

Oh, she's certainly playing the heel. The crowd aren't booing her, but that's not because she's bad at playing heel, simply because her booking has got her doing things the crowd want her to do.

All of this stems from them botching the booking of the match against Carmella. By inserting Charlotte into it for no reason, they turned Flair heel by accident. So no matter how much of a heel Becky is, the crowd will always hate Charlotte more. I think the crowd have been getting bored with Rousey too so Becky is the one that gets cheered. A lack of credible babyfaces to put her against and her character railing against genuine injustices (rather than heel delusions) means that people will keep cheering her.

Ja'moke

I don't know if people are bored of Ronda. She is still really over too (crowd was pumped for her last week in Manchester), which is why the Becky/Ronda feud was (is) so hot. They're two of the most popular wrestlers on the roster and it's a match that most people want to see.

up_the_hampipe

Ronda is still impressive in big matches, but I think the audience are going to lose patience with her character very soon.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 16, 2018, 06:02:50 PM
Ronda is still impressive in big matches, but I think the audience are going to lose patience with her character very soon.

Yeah, especially if they keep pushing that Millennial shit. Ronda is a badass, just let her be that character, she shouldn't be giving long promos, just quick soundbites. Let her fighting do the talking.

I'll be interested to see how her match with Charlotte goes on Sunday. Apparently her previous matches have been well rehearsed in advance, due to her still been fairly green. She wouldn't have had much time to prepare for this one. Should be a real test.

rjd2

Ronda is a Millennial as well! Normally when people rant about Millennial's, its an out of touch old man doing the moaning so chances are Vince has some input their.

Ja'moke

Quote from: rjd2 on November 16, 2018, 07:08:27 PM
Ronda is a Millennial as well! Normally when people rant about Millennial's, its an out of touch old man doing the moaning so chances are Vince has some input their.

Yep, she was born two days after Becky!

Z

I really cant get over Paul Heyman doing that millennial man stuff, so poorly judged considering Rousey's track record of responding very poorly to losses.

New Jack

Ja'moke

Quote from: Z on November 16, 2018, 10:22:39 PM
I really cant get over Paul Heyman doing that millennial man stuff, so poorly judged considering Rousey's track record of responding very poorly to losses.

Ronda just said she was meeting Heyman to talk through some ideas she had. I doubt Heyman is writing her scripts.

In other news, Ellsworth has been accused of sending nudes to a 16 year old girl.