Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft as a survival game

Started by Barry Admin, July 28, 2018, 03:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

It's still one of the best, isn't it? I just wish they'd finally add hardcore mode to Xbox so I could go back to flatcore games.

I couldn't focus on stuff like "Life is Strange" and I wanted to chill out while I'm stuck inside, so I fired up a new world on hard mode, and am loving those initial stages all over again. Just gathering stuff together, getting my first few resources, building a wee house before, hiding in the ground at nighttime. I love it! It's so engaging and well done, yet so very simple.

Kryton

The new update is great. Buried treasure, ship wrecks, underwater stuff.

I had a pop at it last night and it seems to have renewed the old magic of exploration. I plan on building a big underwater base very soon, but I know it will be a pain in the arse. But the oceans look so lovely now.

Yep it's great!

PlanktonSideburns

I don't game much, but a few years ago I had a bike accident and smashed my face into some road, and spent a couple of days bed ridden with cracked skull, road rash where my face was and a constant sense of motion sickness

Mate gave me password for mine craft,  and with no clue what it was or how it worked, I pulled the duvet over my head and was immersed in a way that I hadn't been in years.

One of my favourate gaming experiences ever. Didn't look at any FAQS or anything, had no clue what happened the first time my little hole in the ground house exploded suddenly one night, up until that point I thought I was playing some sort of pointless sandbox game, now I was playing some sort of survival horror with an unknown danger lurking in the darkness, thrilling stuff!

I probably missed entire chunks of the game, never played it after my convalescence, but for a brief moment I was SOLID GONE like the man from tron, an immersive eperience I'll never forget

BeardFaceMan

Been dicking about in my current world for about 4 years now, I just cant bring myself to start a new map. Not that that matters too much as the bedrock edition is unplayable for me with the new UI and the Xbox One edition isn't getting any more updates so I rarely play it now. Insane amount of fun when you get into it though.

Neomod

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 28, 2018, 07:04:48 PM
Been dicking about in my current world for about 4 years now, I just cant bring myself to start a new map. Not that that matters too much as the bedrock edition is unplayable for me with the new UI and the Xbox One edition isn't getting any more updates so I rarely play it now. Insane amount of fun when you get into it though.

I think it's the 360 that will get no new updates. The Xbone's getting that pretty graphical update at some point isn't it?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Neomod on July 29, 2018, 06:15:06 PM
I think it's the 360 that will get no new updates. The Xbone's getting that pretty graphical update at some point isn't it?

They said that they were going to stop the updates to the One version when the Bedrock version was released  so i stopped paying attention as the Bedrock version is shit, but it seems they changed their mind and added everything up to the aquatic update, which is now the last content update the One version will recieve. Might be time for me to have another looky. I've explored huge areas of my map though, I'm not sure how the new biomes work with land youve already explored, I think they only affect unexplored parts of the map which makes it difficult finding new stuff.

Neomod

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 29, 2018, 07:22:51 PM
They said that they were going to stop the updates to the One version when the Bedrock version was released  so i stopped paying attention as the Bedrock version is shit, but it seems they changed their mind and added everything up to the aquatic update, which is now the last content update the One version will recieve. Might be time for me to have another looky. I've explored huge areas of my map though, I'm not sure how the new biomes work with land youve already explored, I think they only affect unexplored parts of the map which makes it difficult finding new stuff.

Ahh, I wasn't aware there were two xbone versions. I'm still on 360 so will fire up the laptop to have a look at the ocean fun.

Kryton

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 29, 2018, 07:22:51 PM
I'm not sure how the new biomes work with land youve already explored, I think they only affect unexplored parts of the map which makes it difficult finding new stuff.

I think that is correct. Maybe your best bet is using nether portals to travel thousands of blocks away.

Barry Admin

Beardy, you should really try a new map at some stage! Or how about just taking some food and very little else, and fucking off in a boat for uncharted waters, then beginning as if anew?

When I loaded it up last night, with the lights off, I just kind of fell in love with it again. I looked at my barely lit little half-finished stone shack, and the lightning and general ambience was overwhelming. It just does so many things right, as a game.

I only have one world I ever really committed to, and I had a quick visit last night, then I was back to pastures new, gathering resources and exploring all around me. I always love tinkering with redstone, that's a truly ingenious system.

There's such a bizarre sense of satisfaction to a lot of it as well. I can stick on a YouTube video to listen to, then just strip mine or level an area, and it feels great. "I'm going to just clear out all the blocks here so it's a big square hole." Boom, job done, love it, satisfying. Bringing order to the chaos can keep your OCD tickled for an eternity.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 29, 2018, 11:23:42 PM
Beardy, you should really try a new map at some stage! Or how about just taking some food and very little else, and fucking off in a boat for uncharted waters, then beginning as if anew?

When I loaded it up last night, with the lights off, I just kind of fell in love with it again. I looked at my barely lit little half-finished stone shack, and the lightning and general ambience was overwhelming. It just does so many things right, as a game.

I only have one world I ever really committed to, and I had a quick visit last night, then I was back to pastures new, gathering resources and exploring all around me. I always love tinkering with redstone, that's a truly ingenious system.

There's such a bizarre sense of satisfaction to a lot of it as well. I can stick on a YouTube video to listen to, then just strip mine or level an area, and it feels great. "I'm going to just clear out all the blocks here so it's a big square hole." Boom, job done, love it, satisfying. Bringing order to the chaos can keep your OCD tickled for an eternity.

I really should, but every time I look at my sandstone pyramid that goes 60 blocks up (so tall it has clouds inside it) I want to weep at the thought of leaving it behind. Not to mention my dry ocean monument.  And my farms. And my underground mining base. And underwater storage base. And so and/or so forth.

Thats the other thing with the Bedrock edition, they've changed the way redstone works slightly, so people are importing maps and their redstone contraptions no longer work.

Hehe I should post pictures here of some of the bloody big holes I've dug. All my diamonds go on making diamond tools, not armour, I do far more gathering than fighting. Its almost hypnotic the way I can put on some tunes and just dig a 2x1 tunnel for ages collecting shit.

Cloud

Does it have a battle royale mode yet?

chveik

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 29, 2018, 11:23:42 PM
Bringing order to the chaos can keep your OCD tickled for an eternity.

This is just what I need.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Cloud on July 29, 2018, 11:57:11 PM

Pfft, its had one for aaaages. Only 16 players, but still...

Was based on an old PC Hunger Games-style server if I remember rightly.

Edit - thats a thought, I've only ever played it on the xbox so have never bothered with mods or custom servers or anything, never even bothered with the different skin packs much. Any good ones out there?

Barry Admin

Try the flatcore mode I always bang on about. Just put it on hardcore difficulty and a superflat world.

That's it. Survive as long as you can. I had so, so much fun with that when I still had a puter.

PVP Minecraft is amazing in its self. So many creative techniques to defeat the opponents. Its a shame they changed how Realms works. It used to be that the owner spent a fee for it and anyone else could join it for free assuming they were invited, but now they made it so everybody has to make a tiny donation to play, meaning a lot of my friends can't play on it any more. I used to use it to make challenge worlds, like Ultra Hardcore matches. Regen is turned off, the map size is limited. There is a certain grace period for players to gather materials, then its hunt each other down. Last one left alive is the winner.

Anotehr game I liked to play was called shopping list, where you made a board up of about 12 different items. Each player had there own blank board and the challenge was to collect and make each item. The first to complete the board was the winner.

Barry Admin

I stayed up till fucking 4am or something, putting a polished diorite floor in my new digs.

Need to get an enchanting room up and running, and can't wait to see all this new underwater gear. I've farmed a good lot of Obsidian so could get a portal up as well. Always - fucking always - love slipping into the Nether. Still a really exciting game location for me, such a brilliant idea. I only wish the Aether had been incorporated into the main game.

Barry Admin

Completely stating the the obvious, but it is such a wonderful tool for creativity too. I'm having a lot of fun just thinking about how I'll expand my new house. I've added a second floor, and now am putting in a little basement area where I guess my enchanting room will go. Plus I'll tidy up the surrounding area, and put in a nice tidy mineshaft entrance.

I didn't think I could sit still long enough to really get back into Minecraft again these days, but nope, there it is. Hooked all over again. Need a horsey ranch. And elaborate redstone piston doors.

That "Bedrock edition" just seems to be for cross platform play by the way?

Barry Admin

The other thing I love about starting over is having to explore and gather resources, and plan how to go about it. I need to farm a lot of leather, I realise, and sugarcane. I want my enchanting room up and running, but recall that they're reasonably expensive. Unless I find a village, I could rip off loads of books there I guess.

This world has spawned me on a a bunch of disjointed islands. I think I'm going to have make a boat and go exploring, try and find a big land mass where I can set up a secondary base, then perhaps get a farm going and start collecting and  breeding livestock.

God, it's such a fucking amazing game, it really is. One of those where you just want to actually live in it.

BeardFaceMan

Heres some of the differences between the two editions - https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/8trevg/differences_between_legacy_console_and_bedrock/ nothing too major really. You dont get crossplay or the Realms servers, which I couldnt care about anyway.  Its just the UI in the bedrock edition I cant stand, I dont know what the fuck they were thinking, its appalling.

Didnt there used to be a thread here with people posting pics from a CaB server? We should get a pic thread going again.

asids

Quote from: Cloud on July 29, 2018, 11:57:11 PM

I used to play on "battle royale" type servers on Minecraft PC a few years back (star off at a spawn point, try to find weapons, map gets continuously smaller etc), but it was never really that popular. Minecraft did it first! (but I'm guessing someone did it before Minecraft too...)

Kryton

Question: When you first spawn, what are your initial stages of progress?

Do you start farming first or mining or building? Do you have a specific goal in mind or do you just go wandering off seeing what you can find? Is it biome dependable?

Do you take your time or rush through to the nether/the end?

What about automation, do any of you build big machines like iron farms or mob farms? Or do you prefer the old fashion method of just looting by mining/encounters.

Just very interested in reading about your play-styles.

BeardFaceMan

Id be interested in this as its been so long since I've started new map I've forgotten what I do. I think I just build a temporary house near a lot of trees, then dig down and start mining,  use the stone to build a proper home amd then go from there.

I played for months before bothering with the nether and the end, I did end up building a big fuck off netherworld castle out of cobblestone so it couldnt be destroyed. Need to explore both a bit more.

Ive never really bothered with mob farms, I just kill them in the normal way, but I've come up with a few of my own automated food farms. Just plant all the seeds, bugger off and explore for a bit and then when you come back to drop off your supplies you just pull a lever, all the food goes into a chest, replant and off you go again. Lovely grub. The reason I haven't bothered with mob grinders yet is I usually play on peaceful because I'm either underground exploring in the dark or building stuff, I'm fed up of creepers sneaking up on me and blowing up my redstone contraptions.

My playstyle is usually lots and lots of resource gathering and then building very big things. Huge pyramids, giant weeing statues, massive wheat farms, minecart tracks that run for hundreds and hundreds of blocks, that sort of thing. I had a track that went all around the first map I did on the xbox 360, it took about 4 minutes to go around it.

ETA - also, I've never played it on creative mode, only survival. Fuck knows why, creative would make doing big builds a lot easier, but while I have no problem playing on peaceful I'd feel a bit dirty if I played creative mode.

Neomod

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 30, 2018, 04:07:26 PM
Didnt there used to be a thread here with people posting pics from a CaB server? We should get a pic thread going again.

Found some pics of one of the CAB servers. Right click open image in new tab for big versions.

My mid century 'Waterfalls' dwarfed by the mid build 'rasta man' (not my name)

Neil's Barn

Another mid century effort from Mook.

The early stages of Jack's effort. It was to be a huge musical instrument that I think he eventually gave up on.

Who did the massive treehouse?

A map of the early stages of the estate.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Kryton on July 29, 2018, 11:21:01 PM
I think that is correct. Maybe your best bet is using nether portals to travel thousands of blocks away.

Already done that while exploring (without using the nether), my map wall at my house is 25 maps so far, I think theres only 3 maps I haven't uncovered. Just gonna have to start a new world. And this is definitely,  definitely the last time I'm starting anew. Until the next big update.

Barry Admin

Wow that barn, what a blast from the past! Then I think I put a sniper deck on the roof, I like having a safe spot to shoot arrows from.

I usually just start mining immediately, then see how I go. A lot of times recent I've just not been arsed enough to continue. I always play on hard mode, never creative as I like actually gathering stuff.  I never really plan stuff out, I just go by ear until something feels right. Rarely commit to huge builds or enormous structures.

It seems I'm actually using the bedrock edition, and I really like the UI now I've got used to it. Bit of a pisser you can't pause or turn off auto save, as that's how I'd tend to get around creeper explosions, but I guess that's cheating really and I should endure that peril and cost.

Kryton

I always struggle starting a new world. Not sure why, 'cos as soon as I've started setting up it feels great to be exploring/mining etc, but I always get beginners anxiety and then delete the world. Anyone else get this?

BeardFaceMan

I just had a go at starting a new world, couldnt do it. I cant leave all that work behind. Gonna have to pack some shit up and start a new base somewhere I havent been before so I can get the updated stuff.

Kryton

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 30, 2018, 10:19:50 PM
I just had a go at starting a new world, couldnt do it. I cant leave all that work behind. Gonna have to pack some shit up and start a new base somewhere I havent been before so I can get the updated stuff.

Don't tease us. Show us some pics.

You too please Barry Admin.

I love seeing people's bases....

Twed

I still remember my main one from 2011.

BeardFaceMan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H8rKcsKQc4

Thats a video of my first ever map on the 360, taking in a hotel, a giant statue weeing into the fountain in the courtyard of said hotel, a lighthouse, a windmill, a death star blowing up the sea, various bridges, unnecessarily large farms, underwater railtracks, underlava railtracks, penises in the sky, pyramids, sky lava waterfalls, all sorts really. I'll post another vid later of the track that runs underground linking my mineshafts and showing the bloody big holes I dug for no reason other than its nice.

I had to leave all that behind on the 360 when I switched to the One version which was painful enough, I have just as much stuff on my current map, I can't start over again. Who'll look after my rainbow sheep?