Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft as a survival game

Started by Barry Admin, July 28, 2018, 03:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Updated the java version to 1.13. I'd forgotten how much bigger the maps are from the 360 version.

Anyway this is how I always start. Always play survival (hard). Get enough for a small shelter with storage/bed/furnace/crafting table. This one is near a disused mine so handy for mining.

Watching over my turtle eggs before I realised it takes days for them to hatch. Zombies will stomp them hence the fence. I'll get the breath underwater helmet from the bairns though.

Then I'll tame a dolphin to lead me to treasure.

Jack Shaftoe

I've got massively back into minecraft now I've clicked with how maps work (the ones you hold in your hand, that fill in as you run around). Love finding villages, doing trading as if they've given me little quests to do, occasionally stumbling into a stronghold and getting lost, s'great.

Reminds me of playing D&D. I only ever really liked the first few levels where you're just crafting and trying to survive, and when you die, you can start a whole new character.

Wonder if I can screenshot the game and send it to myself from the XBox? Hmm. Not that I've built anything that amazing, I'm more about exploring and mining. I love finding weird semi-mistakes though, like villages over ravines, or right on the edge of a cliff, so the church is fifty-odd blocks higher than the rest of the buildings. Fave so far was a stronghold with a ravine right through it, like a cross section.

Neomod

You can take screenshots from the xbone but not the 360. I think you double-tap your controller's Xbox button to pull up the Snap menu, and press Y to take a screenshot.

Barry Admin

It never even occurred to me to try and breed the turtles, I've just been slaying every single one I come across. I didn't know about this helmet either! I try not to read up on stuff or check achievements as they're full of spoilers, but I accidentally saw the one about feeding a dolphin to lead you to treasure. Tried it yesterday, got the achievement, but the stupid big fish swam away too fast for me to keep up. Seems like you can also ride on top of them, too.

My world has come along rightly, at a fair pace. Got a wee wheat and melon farm going, breeding a few chickens, nabbed a sheep too. Cows are what I really need for leather. The sugar cane has been multiplying, so I've got loads of paper now. Need to get a nether portal up, and my enchanting room sorted. I've left some diamonds sitting until I get an enchanted pick so I get more from them.

The best thing I ever built was copied out of a YouTube video, it was a redstone enchanting room to maximise the number of bookcases available. You pulled a level and it would operate sticky pistons that were attached to bookcases, meaning you could completely enclose yourself in a room where every single block around you was a bookcase. Absolutely no space wasted, and then you'd get cracking bows and stuff from it.

As I said earlier, redstone is fucking genius, isn't it? I think I'm getting the taste to get back into that part of Minecraft. Another thing I built with it was a pyramid where one row of blocks would go down and up, and another back and forth, so that there was a secret room available inside the pyramid itself. The lever would make the whole thing open up in a very pleasing manner.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Neomod on August 01, 2018, 11:53:56 AM
You can take screenshots from the xbone but not the 360. I think you double-tap your controller's Xbox button to pull up the Snap menu, and press Y to take a screenshot.

Its changed a bit now, just press the home button once then y for screenshot, you can make videos of different lengths too. If you have the xbox app on your pc you can then download the pics and vids to your pc.

Neomod

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 01, 2018, 12:19:19 PM
It never even occurred to me to try and breed the turtles, I've just been slaying every single one I come across. I didn't know about this helmet either! I try not to read up on stuff or check achievements as they're full of spoilers, but I accidentally saw the one about feeding a dolphin to lead you to treasure. Tried it yesterday, got the achievement, but the stupid big fish swam away too fast for me to keep up. Seems like you can also ride on top of them, too.

I basically checked out what the new mobs in 1.13 were as i was getting attacked on dives by sea zombies.

Have you come across the flying creatures yet? They mostly come at night... mostly.

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 01, 2018, 12:19:19 PMAs I said earlier, redstone is fucking genius, isn't it? I think I'm getting the taste to get back into that part of Minecraft. Another thing I built with it was a pyramid where one row of blocks would go down and up, and another back and forth, so that there was a secret room available inside the pyramid itself. The lever would make the whole thing open up in a very pleasing manner.

I think i've only ever made 2 things using redstone. Sticky doors and a roller coaster. Seems a bit involved for me but I'm sure i'm missing out.

and here's the vid I made of them on that CAB server. Dunno how long this will remain up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si1UPtJqtWI

Jack Shaftoe

Thanks for the tips re. the screenshots btw, will give it go later.

Kryton

I think the flying mobs come when you've not slept for a long time? I might be wrong. I never knew you could ride dolphins though, how do you do that?

BeardFaceMan

Looks like the xbox one and switch editions are not getting the aquatic update. What a pisser. Would it really be so hard to add an option to switch back to the original ui in the bedrock edition?

Uncle TechTip

I was intrigued by the flatcore game, I read a little and watched a guy, I  thought i'll have a little dabble myself. I spawned right behind a village, I thought that's good, wood and stone are sorted. There's a few sheep outside, good I can make a bed. I chose a villager's house and looked out of the window.

It suddenly dawned on me - what next? There's nothing to explore, no mines to go down. No resources to gather. It's clear I'd be able to survive - so what exactly do you do?

Barry Admin

Survive! From what I recall, it's not as easy as you make it sound. Zombies will start battering the fuck out of your house, for starters. Try and best your score.

Neomod

Quote from: Kryton on August 01, 2018, 07:25:20 PM
I think the flying mobs come when you've not slept for a long time?

Yeah, apparently 3 nights without sleep.

Found my first treasure map tonight. X marks the spot.

To the victor the spoils. Smoked salmon for tea off of gold plates.

Got the turtle helmet which is very handy. 10 seconds breathing under water before your oxygen starts to deplete.

Sprint also works under water I've now realised so you can keep up with the dolphins. Dunno how to ride em though.

I hope you have to put a saddle on a dolphin then steer them with a fish on a stick.

Twed

Quote from: Neomod on August 01, 2018, 11:58:50 PM
Sprint also works under water I've now realised so you can keep up with the dolphins. Dunno how to ride em though.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010202190300/http://dolphinsex.org

BeardFaceMan

Gonna have a go at some pics, bear with me.

Heres the first Bloody Big Hole™ I dug, for a slime farm.

And for my 2nd Bloody Big Hole, I went a bit overboard making a hub for all my underground railroads. And there's a big die there for some reason.

I found a village and turned it into a castle. Then built multi-level auto-farms next to it. And then built another castle to keep it company.

Here's day and night views of my current map of my farm complex, built a bit more shit since then though.

And my current map(s). Hopefully I'll get some of the new shit on the bits I haven't uncovered yet. How big are the maps on the xbox One?

Oh look, a happy pyramid, that's nice int it Andy?

And a pissy statue to finish things off. On my current map I started doing a bigger version of this so you can swim right up in to the cock, travel down the shaft and the inside of the statue will be a nice house or something. With flowers. Trouble is I start so many big projects that take fucking ages I get bored and start something else and I go back to it later so theres lots of half finished shit lying around my map.

Hecate

I can remember playing the pc version of minecraft back in the day, that feeling of being plonked in the world and having to discover things for yourself, and that grid based crafting mechanic, the feeling you got making your own pick axe for the first time was delightful.

I played it again years later with my nephew on the xbox, the crafting system had been simplified and there were tutorials which I think went against the ethos of the game but at least it wasn't running on java and it's one of the few first/third person games that feels better with a pad, I reckon.

My nephew always used to like playing survival mode, mainly just so he could knock me about, I think (I'd go over the top pretending to get angry and stuff and he'd laugh his back off), but I was all about creative mode, I loved just chilling out and flying about, making big houses and secret underground rooms with slidy doors and big statues of witches with him.

When he was big into minecraft, I bought him the xbox one and the new version for christmas and spent a month beforehand making this world for him with big statues of a christmas tree and santa and everything, first thing he did on christmas day was switch to survival mode, blow everything up with TNT and chop me to pieces with a big sword. Took me fucking ages and took him all of 5 minutes to raze everything to the ground. Good times.

Johnny Textface

I've just got this one ps3 thanks to you guys. I keep dying at night. Map?

Kryton

Quote from: Johnny Textface on August 05, 2018, 02:56:27 AM
I've just got this one ps3 thanks to you guys. I keep dying at night. Map?

In-game map? You can make one with materials and crafting... But the world is randomly generated each time, so there's no default map.

Neomod

I know the 360 gives you a blank map in your inventory when you first spawn, java doesn't.

Thank god they've extended the time your items remain around when you die. I made a schoolboy error in a shipwreck and drowned. I re-spawned not in my house by my bed but back at the original spawn (cos the bed was blocked or something. It was on a glass floor but would that make a difference?)

Anyway took me two full days and nights to find my way back to my house and the nearby wreck and all my gear was there.

Uncle TechTip

I think it's to do with whether you leave the block that the items are in, so perhaps you were quite lucky you didn't stray too far.

Great pics beardfaceman.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Neomod on August 05, 2018, 09:56:04 AM
I know the 360 gives you a blank map in your inventory when you first spawn, java doesn't.

Thank god they've extended the time your items remain around when you die. I made a schoolboy error in a shipwreck and drowned. I re-spawned not in my house by my bed but back at the original spawn (cos the bed was blocked or something. It was on a glass floor but would that make a difference?)

Anyway took me two full days and nights to find my way back to my house and the nearby wreck and all my gear was there.

If you aren't in the same chunk as the dropped items, then they're unloaded. As soon as you re-enter the same chunk they're loaded and the clock starts ticking.
It's the same with everything, wheat or trees for instance won't grow in a chunk that nobody is in.
Time effectively freezes for uninhabited chunks, the server wouldn't be able to cope otherwise.

Still no takers on the new CaB server, besides a couple of old regulars. Anyone is welcome to join!

BeardFaceMan

I was hoping the bedrock version on the xbox One was going to be a Play Anywhere title so I could play it on my pc. Ive not looked at the Realms stuff in the bedrock version, isnt that custom servers? If there is crossplay could I join the server from an xbox?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 06, 2018, 06:19:36 PM
It's the Java Minecraft server we've got running, only playable on PC.

Ah thats a shame, didnt realise there were 2 different pc versions.

And the xbox One isnt getting the Aquatic Update because we got the bedrock edition instead. I'm going to have to get used to that shitty new UI arent I? Everythjng is so well organized in the console versions, the bedrock is about 5 pages and thats it, its a nightmare finding stuff. And I liked on the console version you could look at all the stuff available to build and see what you need to make it, on the bedrock it was only showing what it was possible to make with what was in your inventory. I just need an option to switch back to the old UI and I will be very happpy indeed.

Barry Admin

You can do that onthe bedrock version too, I think there's a switch you can press over at the right which toggles "all", and you can search for recipes and such. I'd forgotten what the other menu system was like, and found the new one pretty intuitive and useful to be honest.

BeardFaceMan

Thats what I didnt like though, when you select 'all' everything is listed in about 5 pages, in no real order. On the console edition everything is divided up into different categories on each page, its so much easier to find stuff.

Edit  - ooh, there may be hope for me yet  - https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/were-redesigning-minecrafts-menus
Surely it wouldnt be too resource intensive to add an option to switch between UIs?

Neomod

I never got the chance to return to Duckville and lost everything including my .. ahem .. turtle helmet.

So now I've started again with a new seed on my own little island safely away from any mobs save for the drowned.

Quick question. How do you access the higher enchantments? Is it down to how many book cases you have in your enchantment room? I haven't played mc in so long I can't remember.