Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Malcy on December 07, 2018, 03:50:22 PM
Haven't even got round to the first yet. Really falling behind with BF. They release too much.

I'm about a year behind on listening to the monthly range stuff. I'm up to date in buying them but not listening. I tend to pick up all the Doctor Who releases that actually involve The Doctor but I'm more selective about the new Who brand stuff that's just spin-offs. I also pick up Counter Measures, Omega Factor and Survivors. All of which are excellent. And of course Jago & Litefoot. Words can't describe how great that is.

purlieu

QuoteTorchwood's Captain John Hart returns for Big Finish
James Marsters, the star of cult television shows Buffy, Angel, Smallville and recent hit Runaways, is reprising the role of Captain John Hart for his own adventures in the Torchwood audio universe.

The rambunctious, deadly and ever-so charming captain will be back at the helm in a new four-story box set, The Sins of Captain John, created by Big Finish Productions in association with BBC Studios.

Captain John Hart made his audio debut in The Death of Captain Jack, released in March 2018. In this story he killed the entire Torchwood team – including John Barrowman's supposedly immortal Captain Jack Harkness. He also married Queen Victoria and had no less than three 'relationships' with characters from history.

James Marsters told us about returning to the role, and the world of Torchwood.
Doing The Death of Captain Jack was incredible! I have missed doing Torchwood so much. Beyond being proud of playing a part in it, the character itself is a blast to play, and those two episodes just weren't enough.
Set for release in January 2020, The Sins of Captain John will see Captain John Hart leading the universe into rack and ruin in four new adventures...

The Restored
Escape from Nebazz
Peach Blossom Heights
Darker Purposes

In these stories we'll find the villainous anti-hero thriving in Restoration London, exploring gas planets, playing 'Stepford wife' and kissing (then killing) countless victims... Just a day in the life of a rogue Time Agent!

Writer, David Llewellyn, tells us what to expect
Writing The Death of Captain Jack was a total blast, and both James Goss (producer of the Torchwood range) and I realised we could have a lot more fun with Captain John Hart, providing James Marsters was happy to return.

Captain John is this chaotic, disruptive, insubordinate force of nature; completely amoral and unpredictable, so that gave me a lot of freedom! Writing is often a case of knowing when to hold back, when to tread a more subtle line, but with Captain John it's the complete opposite. And setting it before Torchwood on television meant we were able to go to places where Torchwood can't.

Torchwood fans will also find answers to many of the questions and plot points that have so far been left hanging from the beginning of the television show. More details on what in the future.

The Sins of Captain John, out for release in January 2020, is available for pre-order from Big Finish at £28 on CD or £25 on download, rising to £35 on CD and £30 on download at general release

I'm sure you'll all be clamouring to buy this.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm looking forward to this more:

QuoteDoctor Who's Party Guest returns for Big Finish

Lucy O'Connell, the star of hit film Colour Me Kubrick: A True...ish Story and one episode of Britain's favourite police drama The Bill is reprising her role as Party Guest from the much loved episode The Lazarus Experiment for her own adventures in the Doctor Who audio universe.

The quiet, bland, forgettable character will be back at the helm in a new four-story box set, The Parties Of Party Guest, created by Big Finish Productions in association with BBC Studios.

Party Guest made a big impression in the episode where she stood around and then looked a bit frightened and now she'll be going to even more parties, including one her neighbour had, and a Rugby Club do at the local town hall.

Lucy O'Connell told us about returning to the role, and the world of Doctor Who.
Doing The Lazarus Experiment was incredible! I have missed doing Doctor Who so much, or any acting for that matter as no one has hired me since. Beyond being proud of playing a part in it, the character itself is a blast to play, and that one episodes just wasn't enough.

Set for release in January 2020, The Parties Of Party Guest will see Party Guest leading the universe into quiet dull antics in four new adventures...

John's Party
The Rugby Club Party
Nan's Party That I Forgot To Go To
Darker Purposes

In these stories we'll find the party guest having a quiet glass of wine in London, exploring gassy toilets, playing 'Stepford wife' and kissing a drunk postman... Just a day in the life of a rogue Party Guest!

Writer, David Llewellyn, tells us what to expect
Writing Party Guest was a total blast, and both James Goss (producer of the Doctor Who range) and I realised we could have a lot more fun with Party Guest, providing Lucy O'Connell was happy to return.

Party Guest is this bland, dull, quiet woman, completely unpredictable after she has a class of bubbly, who knows who she might try to chat up or when she'll go home alone and have a bit of a cry, so that gave me a lot of freedom! Writing is often a case of knowing when to hold back, when to tread a more subtle line, but with Party Guest it's the complete opposite. And setting it before The Lazarus Experiment on television meant we were able to go to places where Doctor Who can't.

The Lazarus Experiment fans will also find answers to many of the questions and plot points that have so far been left hanging from the beginning of the episode, like who was she, and why did she go to the party anyway? More details on what in the future.

The Parties Of Party Guest, out for release in January 2020, is available for pre-order from Big Finish at £128 on CD or £2.50 on download, rising to £10,001 on CD and £2.51 on download at general release.

Christ, I can't believe I spent so much time writing that rubbish.

The Giggling Bean

I absolutely love the Big Finish stuff but had to stop buying it ages ago. There's far too much of it to listen too. Admittedly I'm not really interested in their Nu Who spin offs like the Master/Missy, River Song etc. I'm not even that bothered about the Tom Baker stories they put out (Peter, Colin and Sylv were my Doctors). I think they've produced more content than it's actually possible to listen to. As has been mentioned above it seems anything is ripe for the picking from the Whoniverse. I did enjoy what I heard of the Jago and Litefoot dramas. I wasn't so keen on the Pertwee impersonator. Some times he was spot on, other times it was a blatant impression. I don't particularly like the impressionists. That said Stephen Beckett could easily pass as Christopher Eccleston if he passed the opportunity by. I honestly thought it was Eccleston using as pseudonym in "The Kingmaker"

I used to have a job which was repetitive as hell. The one saving grace is that I could throw my headphones on and blitz a good couple of stories a day. Now I work in an office with 1 other person and I just don't get the opportunity to listen to them like I used to. That said, they were off this week so, I threw on "Project Lazarus" and "Omega". These days, with the baby, I barely get any time to listen to anything new.

I was also very disappointed with them jacking the sale prices up. When they ran the sales and had the discs for £5 I was able to get 4 at a minimum to plug my gaps. When it went up to £6.50 I could only get 3 and it didn't feel as much of a good deal. I know I may be coming across as a tight arse here but it's annoying when you're paying more for less.

They have done some amazing stories though. As was consistently pointed out above, it totally rehabilitated Colin Bakers Doctor (and I say that as someone who really likes the Sixth Doctors era). Maggie Stables as Evelyn Smythe was an absolute top notch bit of casting. The dynamic between her and 6 was a welcome change from the bickering between Peri and 6. I also quite liked Philip Olivier as Hex. I'm about to bust out the dreaded C word but Cannon is a funny thing. I can quite happily accept Evelyn and Hex as companions to 6 and 7 but, as good as they were, Erimem, Constance and Flip don't do anything for me. Flip seemed to be Big Finishes attempt at giving 6 his own Rose Tyler and it just felt a bit cynical. I can't comment too much on Constance as I haven't heard that much of her outside of her debut and "The Last Adventure". Somebody mentioned to me a while ago that the reason Davisons regeneration is so moving is that he gave everything up for a girl he only just met. If we slot Erimem in then that takes away some of the poignancy of Fives regeneration as they've then been travelling together for a while.

I also felt that they became a bit too inspired by what was currently happening on the television series at the time. Big Finish was the go to for people who didn't like the direction the current series was taking but it's influence seemed to bleed through. Unsurprising when Nick Briggs is running the show.

One of the things that they did magnificently was the single story CDs such as "Circular Time", "100" and "Forty-Five". I absolutely adored the stories "Summer", "100 BC" &"False Gods". It's nice to hear a complete story in 25 minutes. I'm really glad that the format was considered successful enough to use again.

I seem to recall, earlier this year, that Eaglemoss were looking to launch a new part work series. One of the mock ups was of a Big Finish magazine. I've no idea if it was just an idea or whether it was something they were hoping to launch. As someone who's now so deeply into the figurine collection I shouldn't be hoping for something like that, but the look of it was fantastic. I also think  be interesting to delve a bit deeper into those early stories. Hopefully, if they were releasing the CDs with the magazine, they'd be able to update the earlier releases to incorporate the correct theme arrangement.

I'm one of those people who would love to see a couple of the Big Finish stories animated. I know a lot of people say it wouldn't work as they're specifically written for audio however I'd be happy for something along the lines of Real Time. I doubt it would happen but I'd love to see a couple of brand new stories animated after the missing episode stuff is finally sorted out. Whilst I absolutely love them, and would love to bulk up their visual eras, I begrudgingly accept that people have a very low opinion of Colin and Sylvesters Doctors. I think if they were to ever experiment with something like that it would either be a Tom Baker story or maybe a multi Doctor story.

Anyway, I'm finishing with a list of my absolute favorite stories that I'd recommend to anyone wanting to give them a go...

The Marion Conspiracy (as it sets up Evelyn Smythes introduction)

The Spectre Of Lanyon Moor (giving 6 the opportunity to finally meet the Brigadier)

The Fires Of Vulcan (Harking back to the 60s stories in which the Doctor/Companion are in a dangerous situation but can't get back to the Tardis)

The Sword Of Orion (The 8th Doctor faces off against the Cybermen)

Loups Garoux (The 5th Doctor faces off against a Werewolf)

Dust Breeding (The 7th Doctor faces off against the Master. There's also a nice explanation as to why we're back to the corpse like Master from Deadly Assassin/Keeper of Traken)

Colditz (See The Fires Of Vulcan, also David Tennant is in it as a sleazy Nazi guard)

The One Doctor (The 6th Doctor faces off against Christopher Biggins and Matt Lucas. Really funny)

The Chimes Of Midnight (Lauded as one of the best 8th Doctor stories written. It feels like an old time Christmas ghost story)

Seasons Of Fear (The 8th Doctor faces off against the Nimon. It's a nice twisty story with a rather satisfying ending)

Davros (The 6th Doctor faces off against Davros, without the Daleks, showing just how good the character can be examining his morals and the path he took to become creator of the Daleks)

Master (Not one to listen to in the dark. Some questionable back story for the Doctor aside, this is a fantastic story about the relationship between Doctor and Master)

Jubilee (What became the first Dalek story of the Eccleston era)

Spare Parts (Quite possibly one of the best Cybermen stories ever written. The feeling of desperation, hopelessness and inevitability make it so atmospheric)

The Council Of Nicea (The 5th Doctor explores the bedrock and politics behind the creation of the church, political intrigue abounds in a dangerous environment in which people kill for their belief)

The Game (The 5th Doctor ends up unwittingly participating in a game that means life or death.)

The Juggernauts (The 6th Doctor faces off against Davros and the Daleks. There's some lovely scenes between Mel and Jeff giving Bonnie more to work with than she had on TV)

The Harvest (The 7th Doctor faces off against the Cybermen.)

Circular Time (4 25 minute self contained stories. The second story, entitled Summer, with David Warner as Sir Issac Newton is absolutely fantastic)

The Reaping (A very grim story set in Baltimore in which the 6th Doctor brings Peri home only to find the Cybermen are operating out of a funeral home)

The Kingmaker (This is Doctor Who getting Meta, referencing the 70s "Doctor Who Discovers" books. It's an out and out comedy and works very well. Arthur Smith and John Culshaw appear)

Forty-Five (4 25 minute self contained stories. The first story "False Gods" is fantastic, about a student Timelord stranded on earth in Egypt becoming part of Egyptian mythology)

Recorded Time and Other Stories (Colins turn at the 4 25 min self contained stories. I love 6 meeting Henry the 8th and the last story, called "Question Marks" has a smashing twist ending)

I didn't realise how many I'd listed there. I meant to put on Project Twilight and Project Lazarus but I think if you talk about sequels etc to casual/new listeners it might turn them off.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Malcy on October 22, 2018, 10:26:00 PM
Jon Culshaw is ALSO...

The Brigadier!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/third-doctor-jo-grant-and-liz-shaw-return

Sounds quite convincing although you'd know it was Culshaw. John Levene is back as Benton and Caroline John's daughter is playing Liz Shaw.

Wow, that is uncanny in parts. I genuinely thought Nick was back.

daf

Great post Bean-o!

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on December 21, 2018, 11:01:21 PM
As was consistently pointed out above, it totally rehabilitated Colin Bakers Doctor (and I say that as someone who really likes the Sixth Doctors era). Maggie Stables as Evelyn Smythe was an absolute top notch bit of casting. The dynamic between her and 6 was a welcome change from the bickering between Peri and 6.

Yes - Six and Evelyn are great . . . but actually, I've found that the 6th and anyone is great on audio.

I initially resisted getting any with Bonnie Langford (for obvious reasons!) - but they've managed to get her to work brilliantly too.

I echo your recommendation of The One Doctor -
plus I'd throw in :
CATCH 1782 - a lovely historical dip into Mel's family tree
and . . .
The Wrong Doctors - which neatly highlights the differences between the TV and Audio versions of Six.

I also love the ones with Six and Charley (Charlotte Pollard) - though, unlike most people, I came to these having not heard any of her previous stories with McGann . . . of course, she's so good, that I've had to go back and track down all the early deleted stories  - which is costing me A CHUFFING PACKET (eg. Chimes of Midnight is currently "a snip" at £138 on ebay!)

The Giggling Bean

Thanks very much Daf. I genuinely didn't realise how many audio dramas I'd listed, I think it would be hard to pick just 5. It's a tragedy hearing how good Colin is on the audios and realising the potential that was squandered on TV. I know they softened his character a bit during the Trial season but I think the bosses had already decided, before it had started, that they'd try to get rid of him. I do think that a more senior companion, along the lines of Evelyn Smythe, would have been a nice contrast after Peri. At that point in the shows history, with an openly hostile upper management at the corporation, it's difficult to think of what could have been done to change the path it inevitably took...that said I like Sylvester too.

Catch 1782 was an absolute corker. Big Finish do seem to excel at historical stories, they're never dry or dragged out and I find some of them more interesting than the sci-fi tales. I've only ever listened to The Peterloo Massacre one once and I seem to remember it was quite emotional. Not something I'd listen to when I want to unwind. Colins speech to the homeless guy in the cemetery about not giving up hope, and doing what must be done (in The Gathering) using his wifes cancer experience to explain why they need to stand up and fight is pretty powerful stuff. I love these audios because that sort of dialogue and concept would probably be considered too heavy for a prime time family show...esp back in the 80s. It does give the actors something to get their teeth into though.

I did sort of enjoy The Wrong Doctors but I felt it got a bit convoluted and hard to work out which Doctor was which and what was going on. That said I haven't listened to it for years and I was hoping it would tie up the knot of 6 meeting Mel for the first time (which it doesn't). However I liked it enough to create a short animation following on from the end of Trial, take a gander if you have a spare 5 minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG-UJmKb_8Q

I'd say that was one thing about middle to current Big Finish that made me lose a bit of interest. They seemed to feel the need to link separate stories together and create arcs. I was really looking forward to listening to Hour of the Cybermen (which I still haven't heard) and believe it's linked into a previous story...although not so you'd notice. I may be mis-remembering but for some reason I keep thinking there were a lot of stories based around elemental/from the beginning of time/insubstantial aliens which bored me quite a bit. I don't need Daleks and Cybermen in every story but they played with a few concepts which never grabbed me. There's a story called Red, starring Sandi Toksvig, which I tried to listen to a month or 2 ago. I got halfway through ep 2 and turned it off because I was so bored. However in a run of over 200 odd stories obviously not everything is going to appeal to me and I'm certainly glad they exist. I just wish they'd go back to self contained straightforward tales now.

Do you know that in the early days of Big Finish Stephen Moffatt was involved or approached as part of the professional fans (for want of a better phrase) however he walked away because he said he only wanted to write for McGanns Doctor.

The pairing of 8 and Charley was another bit of fantastic casting. India Fisher was great as Charley and I'm glad she got referenced in Night of the Doctor. I quite like the first 2 seasons running up to Zagreus. Wasn't massively keen on Zagreus or the alternative universe stuff that came after though. I think I lost track of McGanns stuff when they started taking him out of the monthly range and giving him his own separate series. I listened to a few of the 8/Lucie Miller stories on BBC 7 but never bought any of the CDs. However Charley was as good with Colin as she was with Paul. I can't really remember how the 6/Charley thread ended though.

I'm glad I bought the CDs when I did, £138 for Chimes is eye wateringly expensive...hell you can get the vinyl from the BF website for £70. I was always tempted to get the vinyl release of Spare Parts but I don't own a vinyl player...plus that would be the beginning of a very slippery slope I don't want to step foot on. It's actually worth signing up to the Doctor Who forum, Gallifrey Base, and visiting the Shada : Market Section. There's always people selling off their collections of Big Finish CDs for relatively decent prices (nowhere near £138). I've used it a couple of times to plug some gaps.

I was looking at that Legacy of Time set that's coming up next year. Part of me wants to buy it as I imagine it'll be an absolutely sumptuous set but the other part realises I don't have a spare 8 hours to listen to a story, plus I'm still not keen on the inclusion of the Pertwee impersonator. I wasn't impressed with the inclusions/impersonations of 1,2 and 3 in Light At The End. If it's not a spot on impersonation then it takes me out of the story because I know I'm listening to an impersonator. I wish Big Finish would have got Christopher Taylor in to represent Troughton, his impersonation is uncanny and sounds a lot more like him than Frazer Hines does. I'm also put off it because, if it's incorporating the spin offs of Big Finish, would I have had to listen to them to know what's going on? I love multi Doctor stories but even I think this sounds a bit overwhelming. That said I may end up ordering it in the new year.

JamesTC

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on December 23, 2018, 02:12:13 PM
I did sort of enjoy The Wrong Doctors but I felt it got a bit convoluted and hard to work out which Doctor was which and what was going on. That said I haven't listened to it for years and I was hoping it would tie up the knot of 6 meeting Mel for the first time (which it doesn't).

They didn't want to overwrite the already existing novel Business Unusual which depicts Mel's first encounter with the Doctor. Shame the novel adaptions didn't sell well and can't adapt that now (though they'd need Jon Culshaw as the Brig).

With regards to recasts... I have mixed feelings. I was initially hesitant but the Eary Adventures range is one of the most consistently great that Big Finish has ever released (Series 1 being great and Series 2 being outstanding). The Third Doctor Adventures have grown on me the more I have listened to them. Not sure about the wholesale recasting we are seeing for the First Doctor Adventures. I am also disappointed that we are not seeing William Russell in Big Finish any more (hopefully not health related but the reality is that he is 94 now).

daf

Big Finish do seem to excel at historical stories, they're never dry or dragged out and I find some of them more interesting than the sci-fi tales.

God, I LOVE the historicals - and the 'purer' the better!

I couldn't give two flying shazbots about some made up future colony spaceship or space monster, but I will lap up any old twt based on the thinnest historical event (or just sometime in Earth's past as a general setting)

QuoteI did sort of enjoy The Wrong Doctors ( . . . ) However I liked it enough to create a short animation following on from the end of Trial, take a gander if you have a spare 5 minutes...

Nice one! (The 86th thumbs up is from me)

QuoteHowever in a run of over 200 odd stories obviously not everything is going to appeal to me and I'm certainly glad they exist.

Ooh, well over that by now, isn't it? I'm sure I saw the '1000' figure quoted in a recent article - though that may be including all the various Benny / Iris / Jago & Litefoot / UNIT & Torchwood  spinoffs  (. . . plus there's over 100 Companion Chronicles / Early Adventures too!)

As a rough guide anyway, the (main) Doctors 'released items' count currently stands at 559 * :
4th : 98
5th : 113
6th : 126
7th : 114
8th : 108

QuoteI think I lost track of McGanns stuff when they started taking him out of the monthly range and giving him his own separate series.

Yeah, got no interest in those - I'm only in it for the Charleys! ;0)

QuoteI can't really remember how the 6/Charley thread ended though.

Blue Forgotten Planet - choked me up at the end - real heartbreaker.

There's also two (1 , 2) solo Charlotte Pollard box sets that follow this, which I'm patiently waiting for a sale so I can snap them up!

QuoteIt's actually worth signing up to the Doctor Who forum, Gallifrey Base, and visiting the Shada : Market Section. There's always people selling off their collections of Big Finish CDs for relatively decent prices (nowhere near £138).

Cheers - I'll have to check that out!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* a VERY rough estimate - as, though some of those will be the same multi-doctor story counted four times, there's also a few four-story box sets counting as one . . . the whole thing just makes my brain hurt, and it would take me several weeks to work out the precise total . . .  by which point, Nick Briggs would have popped out a few more to add to the wobbling pile!

JamesTC

Quote from: daf on December 23, 2018, 03:28:42 PM

Yeah, got no interest in those - I'm only in it for the Charleys! ;0)

The Lucie Miller and Mary Shelley stories are very good. I think an over-reliance on the Daleks really taints everything after that. Even the upcoming Lucie Miller box set has a Dalek story (one guess for who the writer is). I believe the current run (Ravenous) has no Dalek story up to now so that might be interesting when I get round to listening to that.

Charley Pollard is in one of the 8th Doctor Adventures coming up. Will be interesting how it is handled.

mjwilson

I was looking at that Legacy of Time set that's coming up next year. Part of me wants to buy it as I imagine it'll be an absolutely sumptuous set but the other part realises I don't have a spare 8 hours to listen to a story, plus I'm still not keen on the inclusion of the Pertwee impersonator. I wasn't impressed with the inclusions/impersonations of 1,2 and 3 in Light At The End. If it's not a spot on impersonation then it takes me out of the story because I know I'm listening to an impersonator. I wish Big Finish would have got Christopher Taylor in to represent Troughton, his impersonation is uncanny and sounds a lot more like him than Frazer Hines does. I'm also put off it because, if it's incorporating the spin offs of Big Finish, would I have had to listen to them to know what's going on? I love multi Doctor stories but even I think this sounds a bit overwhelming. That said I may end up ordering it in the new year.

Big Finish consistently shit the bed on special occasions: their first story ever is a boring run-around, they didn't manage a good set of stories for Paul McGann coming back, Zagreus was barely comprehensible, the first Tom Baker series is supposed to be quite bad too, and their 50th anniversary story was also pretty ropey. So yeah I reckon a massive set of anniversary special stories is not going to be anything worth listening to.

The bestest ever Big Finish is Death in the Family, but that's decidedly non-standalone as it ties into any number of story arcs.

Love the whole Hex Arc, one of my faves. Also keen on the Burning Prince trilogy.

daf

Quote from: JamesTC on December 23, 2018, 06:10:19 PM
The Lucie Miller and Mary Shelley stories are very good.

Ooh - Mary Shelley as a companion? Yes, that sounds RIGHT up my street!

Are the Lucy Millers all done and dusted in the main range, or does she carry on into the various 8th Doctor Box sets (and beyond)? *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* I know - I could google this info myself, but I just like having a bit of a chat!

Quote from: daf on December 24, 2018, 12:17:00 PM
Ooh - Mary Shelley as a companion? Yes, that sounds RIGHT up my street!

Yes, she's in four of the main range McGann stories, played by Julie Cox.

123 The Company of Friends, though this is an anthology release of four one part stories, each with a different companion, so she's only in one of those episodes.  The other three companions in it, if you're interested, are Bernice, as played by Lisa Bowerman, Fitz, who was originally in the BBC novels, played by Matt di Angelo, and Izzy, who was originally in the 8th Doctor comic strips in DWM, played by Jemima Rooper.

She's the full time companion in a set of three stories released in 2011.

153 The Silver Turk.  Cybermen in 1870s Vienna.
154 The Witch From The Well.  Something to do with 17th Century witch-hunts.
155 Army of Death.  Alien planet story.

QuoteAre the Lucy Millers all done and dusted in the main range, or does she carry on into the various 8th Doctor Box sets (and beyond)? *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* I know - I could google this info myself, but I just like having a bit of a chat!

I don't think that Lucie Miller's ever been in any of the main range ones, to date at least.

daf

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on December 24, 2018, 04:41:54 PM
153 The Silver Turk.  Cybermen in 1870s Vienna.

Squee!!

Quote154 The Witch From The Well.  Something to do with 17th Century witch-hunts.

Squee!!

Quote155 Army of Death.  Alien planet story.

Oh . . .

well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad I suppose! (. . . only joking, I'm sure it's a cracker!)

QuoteI don't think that Lucie Miller's ever been in any of the main range ones, to date at least.

Ooh, I got completely the wrong end of the stick there, didn't I - that'll teach me not to do my own googlework!

- (potters wheel interlude for 5 minutes while daf does some digging around) -

Ah, yes - I think I see where I made my bloomer -
I thought he went straight from the main range into box sets (Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition), but there's a middle period comprising of four series of "Eighth Doctor Adventures" (from Blood of the Daleks to To The Death) - that LOOK like main range stories, but which are actually single CD releases  - like Tom Bakers (rather than 2CD for the main range).

That's good - I was thinking she'd be all bogged down in the sodding Time Yawn War - Will deffo check they out!

JamesTC

Quote from: mjwilson on December 23, 2018, 08:58:05 PM
Big Finish consistently shit the bed on special occasions: their first story ever is a boring run-around, they didn't manage a good set of stories for Paul McGann coming back, Zagreus was barely comprehensible, the first Tom Baker series is supposed to be quite bad too, and their 50th anniversary story was also pretty ropey. So yeah I reckon a massive set of anniversary special stories is not going to be anything worth listening to.

I think that is a little harsh. The 40th-anniversary run was very good even if you discount Zagreus. Out of Master, Davros and Omega I would say that Davros and Omega are stone cold classics. The Sixth Doctor "Last Adventure" was very good and provided a great explanation for his regeneration. The recent anniversary Bernice Summerfield run was absolutely outstanding.

The Fourth Doctor adventures did start pretty bad. The Mary Tamm run was okay and it was lovely that she wanted to come back despite being very ill at the time (and sadly died shortly before release). Series 1 and 3 aren't much cop. The series has picked up though. The latest run (Series 7) is brilliant and Series 4 and 5 are very good (I haven't heard Series 6 yet).

mjwilson

You're quite right about Davros/Omega/Master, I had forgotten they were anniversary stories.

I don't remember The Last Adventure being much good, however I couldn't tell you much about it so maybe it just slipped my mind.

Anyway I won't be buying Legacy of Time unless it gets amazing reviews, or possibly if it goes on sale for a fiver or so.

daf

Twelve days of Big Finishmas sale -   (enter the code KRAMPUS)

so far :
- Cuddlesome (free - before midnight on Boxing Day)

- Jago Litefoot & Strax - "The Haunting" (£2.99)

daf

Latest offer : The Sirens of Time - FREE download *

The very first Big Finish Doctor Who story from June 1999 : Doctors 5, 6 & 7 each get a solo episode & then all muck in together on the fourth.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* code = KRAMPUS / (available till 11:59pm 2nd January)

Malcy

daf

Chairman Yang

Well, I've finally listened my way up to Neverland (insert sad trombone sound) - which means I don't have a choice, I'm going to have to listen to all eighty-four hours of Zagreus. It can't possibly be as bad as everyone makes out...

daf

Ooh - please report your findings!

I've become slightly obsessed with this looming notorious carbuncle, having recently tracked down most of the out of print Charley stories up to this point (I haven't heard it yet - as I want to listen in order, and I'm still missing the two before this one)

Maybe part of the problem was that, from the cover, people were expecting 'The Four Doctors' - and it barely has one! *

Peter Davison plays Reverend Matthew Townsend
Colin Baker is Lord Tepesh
Sylvester McCoy Walton Winkle (!)
Paul McGann is Zagreus (* his Doctor has become 'infected' and is acting out of character)

Chairman Yang

"Won't somebody please explain?" - Colin Baker as the listener, presumably; 3 hours into Zagreus.

Friends, if you can tell me what on Earth that was about you can have one shiny penny. I mean... pffffffffffffffffffffffffffff? *shrugs shoulders clean into orbit*

It's just hit me that this is supposed to be a 50th episode "spectacular" and that Zagreus as a... character? or notion? is supposed to be analogous to the other villains in the excellent nemesis stories that preceded it.

It's an absolute must listen. The Room of Big Finish

daf

Nice one - sounds like a real head-fudge!

Definitely going to try and track a copy of this one down!

mjwilson

I really wanted to like Zagreus. An anniversary story which isn't just a traditional multi-Doctor story! A complex script where the actors say in pre-publicity interviews, "oh I have no idea what is going on in any of it, isn't it clever!"

I even gave it a second listen a few years later to see if I had misjudged it.

I had not.

Malcy

Details for the Missy audios. The first story is called 'A Spoonful Of Mayhem'. Missy Poppins.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/missy-story-details

Bad Ambassador

They really are doing everything possible to undermine the character and turn her into a toothless, wacky eccentric, agent they?

daf

Fourth Doctor sale. Your secret password is 'WPCKELSO'. *
QuoteTo celebrate the start of the eighth series of The Fourth Doctor Adventures with new companion Ann Kelso (Jane Slavin) in The Syndicate Master Plan Volume 1, we've special offers on more stories starring our favourite scarf-clad Time Lord. This is the perfect opportunity to fill those gaps in your collection!
- series 1-5 (CD=£4.99 / MP3=£2.99), plus a few other bits & bobs (e.g. Lost Stories box inc. 'Foe From the Future' at £25)

- (skinflint tip = buy in one big chunk, rather than lots of little ones - postage is £4 max, and you get 10% off for orders over £50) -

- - - - - - -

You wait 40 years for a new companion, and then two come along at once :

QuoteWelcome to Rhianne Starbuck, who will be playing Sharon alongside the Fourth Doctor in the Comic Strip Adaptations, due for release March 2019.
(volume 1 : 'Iorn Legion' & 'Star Beast' by Pat Mills)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (This offer will self destruct at precisely 23:59 (UK time) on 24 January 2019)