Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:26:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

Star Beast audio...if they get Toby Longworth back to play Beep, that one will be a must-listen!

Malcy

The Diary Of River Song S5 is out today. Features the Beevers, Jacobi, Roberts & Gomez Masters. Surprised they managed to get Eric Roberts to do it. Thought they would have used McQueen or Simm instead.

Have to catch up on S3&4 to get to this.

mjwilson

JamesTC

Can't be doing with River Song but I hope Eric Roberts does a Paul McGann audio.

daf

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on January 18, 2019, 10:52:17 PM
Star Beast audio...if they get Toby Longworth back to play Beep, that one will be a must-listen!

Trailer and Cast up - Toby's in it, but not it doesn't look like he's playing Beep for some reason.

Check out who the Newsreader is though!

daf

Another warehouse clearance sale on - https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-warehouse-bargains : password = BARGAIN

Main Range 51-100 CDs now at £3 each - they really want to clear those shelves!

Malcy

Quote from: daf on January 25, 2019, 12:37:09 PM
Another warehouse clearance sale on - https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-warehouse-bargains : password = BARGAIN

Main Range 51-100 CDs now at £3 each - they really want to clear those shelves!

I was looking at that earlier. Lot of downloads in there. Do they have a digital warehouse that needs clearing out as well?!?

daf

Must be a mistake - It's just for the CDs I think

I can only see one download listing there (RISE OF THE RUNELORDS: SINS OF THE SAVIORS) - probably up there to tempt anyone who was buying the remaining Pathfinders CDs.

Two Main Range releases have already gone out of print since this new £3 offer started : 
60. Medicinal Purposes
74. LIVE 34

They are going like warm cakes!

daf

Obviously I'd say just get all the 6th Doctor's, but here's my Top Ten from what's left :

51. THE WORMERY (6th, Iris Wildthyme)
54. THE NATURAL HISTORY OF FEAR (8th, Charley & C'rizz - this one is WEIRD, but probably the best from the 'Divergent Universe' era)
57. ARRANGEMENTS FOR WAR (6th, Evelyn)
68. CATCH 1782 (6th, Mel, historical)
73. THICKER THAN WATER (6th, Mel, Evelyn & sequel to ARRANGEMENTS FOR WAR)
77. OTHER LIVES (8th, Charley & C'rizz, Duke of Wellington, historical)
81. THE KINGMAKER (5th, Peri, Erimem, Richard III, historical)
90. YEAR OF THE PIG (6th, Peri, Toby the Sapient Pig, historical)
91. CIRCULAR TIME (5th, Nyssa, 4 separate stories, historical bits)
99. SON OF THE DRAGON (5th, Peri, Erimem, Dracula, historical)

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on January 25, 2019, 01:49:53 PM
I was looking at that earlier. Lot of downloads in there. Do they have a digital warehouse that needs clearing out as well?!?

They discount any release on download which is part of a range which has CDs available in the sale so if you only have some available on CD, you can pick up the rest on download for a little less. As more go out of stock, the download version will replace them in the sale.

I picked up Gallifrey 1-3 for £32. Nearly bought it a couple of years ago for £50 so I am glad I waited.

To add to the recommendations above, get Circular Time if you haven't heard it. It is absolutely superb. The Winter episode is a must listen for any Doctor Who fan.

Listening to the War Doctor series for the first time right now. Enjoying it. I understand they couldn't tell the darker side of the Doctor as the BBC didn't want the character to be portrayed as "bad". They avert that issue by having his actions in the Time War hinted at and having the Doctor refuse his name but have his stories mainly be about (at least up to now) fighting against the more evil side of the Time Lord's actions in the Time War and helping the innocent planets.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on January 25, 2019, 11:10:17 PM

Listening to the War Doctor series for the first time right now. Enjoying it. I understand they couldn't tell the darker side of the Doctor as the BBC didn't want the character to be portrayed as "bad". They avert that issue by having his actions in the Time War hinted at and having the Doctor refuse his name but have his stories mainly be about (at least up to now) fighting against the more evil side of the Time Lord's actions in the Time War and helping the innocent planets.

I really liked the War Doctor audios. I have 2 left to listen to I think. I'm glad they made them. It was a shame to create a Doctor for just one episode because Eccleston couldn't be got.

Glad John Hurt got to do a little more with the role. I think the plan was to have him do a series with McGann or something. I forget what the plans were but they were shelved when Hurt died.

purlieu

Yes, given how much McGann has done (am I right in thinking that in terms of combined screen, books and audio, the Eighth Doctor is actually the most represented Doctor?), it's nice to know there are War Doctor stories out there. Only one novel so far, but given Hurt's death, I'd love to see some more books in the series. I totally appreciate why RTD didn't actually explore the specifics of the Time War, but the idea really fascinates me, and the existence of the Gallifrey, Eighth Doctor and War Doctor audios set in the war makes me happy and keen to explore them. When I've finished the remaining 250+ books (I'm around the halfway point now).

daf

Quote from: JamesTC on January 25, 2019, 11:10:17 PM
To add to the recommendations above, get Circular Time if you haven't heard it. It is absolutely superb. The Winter episode is a must listen for any Doctor Who fan.

Yeah, that's a top quality cracker

Special mention for The Kingmaker (while it's still available) - a real rib-tickler, and I swear it's Eccleston playing Richard III.

Trust me playmates, you will not regret snapping this one up!

But don't delay - another four have just gone OOP (including two from my list) :
54. The Natural History of Fear  /  77. Other Lives   /  85. Red  /  86. The Reaping

Shaky

Quote from: daf on January 26, 2019, 01:50:00 PM
Yeah, that's a top quality cracker

Special mention for The Kingmaker (while it's still available) - a real rib-tickler, and I swear it's Eccleston playing Richard III.

Trust me playmates, you will not regret snapping this one up!

But don't delay - another four have just gone OOP (including two from my list) :
54. The Natural History of Fear  /  77. Other Lives   /  85. Red  /  86. The Reaping

No Eccles in the cast, although his Doctor does get a brief mention as "a northern bloke with big ears".

daf

Yeah, it's Stephen Beckett on hump duties here.

Got to be a deliberate nod, though - I think he even unleashes a "Fantastic!" at one point!

(Looking at the dates, this was recorded in November 2005 in the brief interregnum between 9 and 10 taking over, and released just at the start of series 2 in April 2006)

Jerzy Bondov

I was watching series 2 of Unforgotten thinking about how much I love both Nicola Walker and Mark Bonnar and now I see that not only is Walker a regular audio companion but there's a run with Bonnar as an evil Time Lord. Any good?

Chairman Yang

Walker is predictably great and Bonnar is basically given an impossible acting job and kiiiiiiiind of pulls it off. The stand-alone episodes of those 'seasons' are quite good, but the overarching plot builds into a Moffat-esque fever dream continuity explosion - which was not my bag, but if you want some sort of Marvel summer blockbuster extravaganza TM of Doctor Who you might love it!

daf

Benny Birthday offers (might only be for today - so look sharp!)

QuoteTo get all of these birthday offers, head to page https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/lisa19 and enter access code LISABDAY.

JamesTC

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 31, 2019, 08:05:52 PM
I was watching series 2 of Unforgotten thinking about how much I love both Nicola Walker and Mark Bonnar and now I see that not only is Walker a regular audio companion but there's a run with Bonnar as an evil Time Lord. Any good?

He plays a villain called The Eleven. A Time Lord with the Gallifrey equivalent of multiple personality disorder with the twist that the personalities are previous incarnations.

The stories with them (Dark Eyes and Doom Coalition) are pretty good. Sadly not a patch on the early Eighth Doctor era. Then again the Charley Pollard stories set a high standard. Also seems like we'll never have that younger happy and fun version of the Eighth Doctor again.

Malcy

UNIT S8 Details

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/unit-incursions

River Song and a sequel to 6th Doctor audio 'Static'.

daf

Main Range 101-150 sale - £6CD / £5 download - (10% off with orders over £50 / on till Feb 20)

https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/dwmr101150 (access code - ABSOLUTION)

Some great ones here - 

Charley's last story with the 8th :
103 - THE GIRL WHO NEVER WAS

Charley's first story with the 6th (& introducing occasional future/past sidekick DI Menzies) :
105 - THE CONDEMNED

Another comedy historical from the 5th :
127 - CASTLE OF FEAR

Zoe & Jamie with the 6th :
135 - LEGEND OF THE CYBERMEN

Malcy

After 6 months i finally made it to the end of the first episode of River Song series 3. Some gubbins about Madame Kovarian creating Timelords in a lab and at the end River sends a distress call to the Doctor. 5 shows up, asks who she is, she tells him and says 'mind if I come with you for a while'?

He just goes 'Yeah why not'?

The End.

The next one seems more promising so far.

Quote from: daf on February 14, 2019, 03:32:12 PM

Zoe & Jamie with the 6th :
135 - LEGEND OF THE CYBERMEN

I really enjoyed that 4 story run with Jamie & Zoe.

samadriel

Malcy

JamesTC

Listened to the Comic Strip Adaptations yesterday and today. I've not read these comics (only read the Sixth Doctor comics) so I only judge it on its own merits.

Doctor Who and the Iron Legion was superb. I especially loved Morris and Vesuvius. I'm really impressed by how they translated what must have been such a visual story onto audio. I was absolutely devasted when Morris died. He wasn't going to get patched up this time :(

Doctor Who and the Star Beast I had a mixed reaction to. Beep the Meep was great and as with Iron Legion, Tom Baker was on top form. Sharon I found a little unlikeable and had a fair few lines which had me rolling my eyes (mispronouncing sci-fi as "sky-fi" comes to mind).

Malcy

1 meets 2. With added Katarina.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/katarina-returns

So behind on everything I try to keep up with now.. Still trying to get through River Song S3 and catch up with the UNIT boxset as well. I'm gonna have to set some time aside and get to the ones I really want to hear. Mainly UNIT with the Jacobi Master and River Vs The Masters.

Malcy

Paul McGann to take on Missy, Beevers, Jacobi & Roberts Master's in Ravenous 4.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/ravenous-4---a-medley-of-masters

daf

Norton Canes

Quote from: JamesTC on March 17, 2019, 01:25:16 AM
Listened to the Comic Strip Adaptations yesterday and today. I've not read these comics (only read the Sixth Doctor comics) so I only judge it on its own merits.

Doctor Who and the Iron Legion was superb. I especially loved Morris and Vesuvius. I'm really impressed by how they translated what must have been such a visual story onto audio. I was absolutely devasted when Morris died. He wasn't going to get patched up this time :(

Doctor Who and the Star Beast I had a mixed reaction to. Beep the Meep was great and as with Iron Legion, Tom Baker was on top form. Sharon I found a little unlikeable and had a fair few lines which had me rolling my eyes (mispronouncing sci-fi as "sky-fi" comes to mind)

Have they done The Tides Of Time? That was my favourite strip.

daf

The Tom Baker one is the first, but it's been getting rave reviews, so I'm sure more are being planned - at least one for each living classic doctor.

I see that's a Fifth Doctor story - should have a good chance of being made for his box (of two stories), particularly as it features a non-TV companion - something I think Big Finish are keen to use to make them a bit different from the usual main range stories.

I wonder if we'll get a David Bradley one hooking up Doctor 1 with John and . . . ( nips off to google it) . . . Gillian!