Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

I'd be surprised if they don't adapt The Tides Of Time and the classic 6th Doctor story Voyager sooner rather then later.

It's a shame the quality of the 5th Doctor strips nosedived after Stars Fell on Stockbridge, the one-episode coda to The Tides Of Time. The Stockbridge Horror and 4-Dimensional Vistas were both horrible unfocused messes.

Malcy

Listened to 'The Green Life' today. Sequel to Pertwee's 'The Green Death' with Jo & Jack in Llanfairfach from the original story.

What a pairing they make. I'd love a spin off with the two of them. Great chemistry together. Jo's description of the town it's heyday was odd though. Apparently it had 150 pubs!

Malcy

QuoteIn The Lives of Captain Jack Volume Two, Captain Jack takes on fake news, trench warfare and the Sixth Doctor's dress sense in three new stories:

1. Piece of Mind by James Goss

When the Sixth Doctor falls dying into his arms, Jack must carry on in his place. Is the universe ready for a whole new kind of Doctor?

2. What Have I Done? by Guy Adams

On the battlefields of World War I, something is hunting in the trenches. Jack must try and save the life of a wounded soldier.

3. Driving Miss Wells by James Goss

Alien invasions, stolen planets and burning skies – Newsreader Trinity Wells used to tell everyone the world was ending. One day she stopped believing it. Will her new chauffeur change her mind?

The 6th Doctor & Trinity Wells? Wasn't expecting that.

Replies From View

So the question is "what can possibly be the appeal of an audio story all about a character wearing a costume?", and the answer is obviously "not having to see it", but seriously...

What can possibly be the appeal of an audio story all about a character wearing a costume?

Bad Ambassador

From a Doctor who strangles his companion to a Doctor who strangles his companion... during sex.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 02, 2019, 09:17:05 AM
From a Doctor who strangles his companion to a Doctor who strangles his companion... during sex.

"Doctor your costume is awful!  And you are raping me!"

"Yes I am the sixth Doctor, you know!"

"That explains it!"

Catalogue Trousers

Jack Harkness AND Trinity Wells? Wake me up when it's gone away, thanks.

daf

Latest special offer - 60% off The Lost Stories (available till 23:59, 13th June 2019)
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/special-offers-doctor-who-lost-stories

Even cheaper if you buy via a bundle -
(eg. The 6th Doctor's phantom 1985-86 season is £52 if you buy them separately, but only £40 bought as a bundle)

Bad Ambassador

purlieu

I recently found this listening order for all the audios, which is useful as I started compiling one myself and it was stressful and then my computer died so I lost it all. I want to start listening to them NOW (I've found a few Soulseek users with the whole lot*), but I'm going to wait until I'm at least on the EDAs in the books, as I know the Benny stories take place after her own post-Seven novels, and they tie in with some of the Doctor ones, the Gallifrey ones, etc.

*I will later purchase the ones I enjoy enough to want to listen to again. Because, y'know, fuck buying 800+ audios.

daf

That's a mighty task - I'm not sure even Nick Briggs has listened to EVERYTHING they've put out.  I've been quite selective with my choices & have still ended up with over 400 CDs!

My method is like how I order my records on the shelf - chronologically by artist - [so all the 1st Doctor together / then 2nd / 4th / 5th / 6th  / 8th & Charley / with the Bernice Summerfields and Jago & Lifefoots each in their own section]

I also like to re-organise within those groups by companion - so even though they were released in a different order, my 4th Doctor shelf will go something like :
- - - - - -
a. series 1, 3, 4, 7 & 'The Lost Stories' box  / 'Philip Hinchcliffe Presents' = Leela # / Leela & K9
b. Nest Cottage Chronicles (BBC audios) = Mike Yates & Mrs Wibbsey (no K9) #
c. series 8 = PC Anne Kelso  / K9
d. series 2 = Romana 1 # / K9
e. series 5 = Romana 2 # / K9
f. Comic Strip Adaptations = Sharon
g. series 6 = Romana 2 / Adric / K9/
- - - -

# - Leela turns up in Jago & Litefoot series 3&4 - which from her point of view occur after she has left the Doctor, and during the first few series of 'Gallifrey'.
# - though for Mike Yates, this is set between 2009-11, it takes place from the Doctor's perspective in the gap between Leela & Romana
# - Jago & Litefoot turn up in stories with Romana 1 & 2 - but both of these are set after all 14 series of J&L

I probably need a set of shelves designed by M.C. Escher to get everything to fit together properly, but most of it works out quite neatly.

purlieu

Ah, but if I listened to them like that, I'd miss the odd connection and crossover. Can't be having that. As your list above illustrates, the actual chronology is pretty complex, so I think it'll make the most sense to listen to them largely as they were released.

I'd planned on just doing the Eighth Doctor stories, Jago & Litefoot, maybe Gallifrey, the Time War ones and a few recommendations from the others. Then I realised I'd never be satisfied with that and would end up going back and filling in on the rest anyway, so why not just start like that. I'll probably spend four to five years on the books, no reason I can't do the same on the audios.

daf

No, you're quite right - that way lies madness & chaos!

My moving stuff around is just to make a more logical 'future listening' experience for me (after I had heard them originally & was familiar with the content & any connections I wanted to link up), but yes, very sensible to do them in the release order - so you don't miss anything.

I'm not bothering with the Time War myself - seem a bit grim (I tend to like the Earth historicals & comedy ones best) & I prune the 7th doctor audios ruthlessly depending on story or companion (oddly, anything with Bonnie Langford is a must for me now - I cannot get enough of her on audio - 'Fires of Pompeii' (7th) & 'The One Doctor' (6th) probably my favourites.)

purlieu

The thing about the Time War is it seems to be the exact kind of thing the audios and books are great for - a proper bit of fanwank that I would never in a million years want to see on screen, but a huge continuity gap that I'm desperate to see filled.

JamesTC

I use this website to keep everything in order.

Some things are near impossible to work out though. The recent Ace and Mel audios are a particular headache as Ace is written and performed like she is Season 24/25 Ace when it can only really take place after the Hex audios.

purlieu

Quote from: JamesTC on June 08, 2019, 12:37:57 AM
I use this website to keep everything in order.
Oh, fuck that. I very briefly flirted with the idea, but very quickly gave up on trying to compile anything and just want to enjoy the TV, book, audio and comic ranges as separate timelines. Even thinking about that page is giving me a headache.

I realised today that as I'm keen to try out a few audios, I could listen to the BBC ones without having to worry too much about continuity, so I may hunt some of those down this weekend.

mjwilson

Quote from: purlieu on June 07, 2019, 10:05:35 PM
The thing about the Time War is it seems to be the exact kind of thing the audios and books are great for - a proper bit of fanwank that I would never in a million years want to see on screen, but a huge continuity gap that I'm desperate to see filled.

I listened to the first War Doctor set and it was not at all to my taste, so I dropped out of Big Finish's attempts to do the Time War. (Except for the War Master stuff but that's 90% because of Jacobi.)

mjwilson

Huh, now we have The War Valeyard announced... that is probably not going to make me change my mind.

JamesTC

Quote from: purlieu on June 08, 2019, 03:21:22 PM
Oh, fuck that. I very briefly flirted with the idea, but very quickly gave up on trying to compile anything and just want to enjoy the TV, book, audio and comic ranges as separate timelines. Even thinking about that page is giving me a headache.

I realised today that as I'm keen to try out a few audios, I could listen to the BBC ones without having to worry too much about continuity, so I may hunt some of those down this weekend.

I guess the fact that I only own the Sixth Doctor comics and don't get the books (outside of the odd audiobook) means I can track everything pretty easily in one timeline.

I have an Excel spreadsheet which is ordered by Doctor and then by Season and I base it on that website. I only add stuff I own or stuff I intend to own. Problem is that there is only 26 seasons to work with and a lot to fit in so I have to split most seasons. Season 23 is up to Season 23J.

purlieu

QuoteTo celebrate 20 years of Doctor Who on audio, BBC Studios and Big Finish Productions present a 20-hour weekend live stream marathon of Doctor Who audio dramas on YouTube.

Over two days on the 20th and 21st July, the official home of Doctor Who on YouTube will broadcast more than 20 episodes of Big Finish audio adventures, featuring David Tennant, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann and David Bradley, among many others. Plus, there will be video appearances from plenty of the Doctor's friends, past and present, to join in the festivities. As the stories are live streamed on YouTube, fans will be able to join in the conversation via the live chat.

Big Finish Productions was first granted a licence to create Doctor Who adventures in audio format back in 1999. Its first production was Doctor Who: The Sirens of Time, starring Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. The company has since expanded its ranges, producing and distributing over 300 hours of audio drama each year. To date, over 850 titles from Doctor Who and its various spin-offs have been released - and that number grows by the day, with more Doctor Who stories confirmed from Big Finish until at least 2023.

In honour of this achievement, over 20 hours of Doctor Who audio drama will be live-streamed on the BBC's Doctor Who YouTube channel over the 20th and 21st July. Doctor Who fans will hear stories from their heroes, as well as never before heard snippets, interviews and guest cameos from some of their favourite stars, and much much more!

Anyone joining in the live stream will be able to comment and chat along with other fans about the adventures in the TARDIS, while hearing audio productions starring the likes of David Tennant, Billie Piper, Alex Kingston, John Barrowman, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, David Bradley, Sophie Aldred, Katy Manning, Nicola Walker, Sir Derek Jacobi and many more.

Also premiering during the event is the first episode of Doctor Who: The Legacy of Time - a special anniversary box set release celebrating 20 years of Doctor Who at Big Finish. This first episode stars Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor, Alex Kingston as Professor River Song and Lisa Bowerman as Professor Bernice Summerfield. Does the Doctor have room for two time-travelling archaeologists in his life?

Meanwhile, there's another new spin-off that fans were clamouring for:

QuoteA 12-part series set on Kaldor, following the rise of intelligent machines, based on characters and the world of Kaldor created by Chris Boucher.

During the events of Doctor Who – Ravenous 2, Liv Chenka left the Doctor and the TARDIS behind. Just for one year. A year during which she would live on Kaldor, and get to know her sister Tula all over again.

But Kaldor is going through a period of tumultuous change. Technology is changing at an advanced rate – the robots are evolving, artificial intelligence is adapting, and with these changes so politics is altering too. Dangerously.

Can Liv and Tula make a difference during the most turbulent time in the world's history?

mjwilson

Hey, spoilers for Ravenous 2!

joking, I don't care

daf

Lucie Miller 50% off sale!

https://www.bigfinish.com/collections/v/lucie-b-miller
(offer expires at 23:59 (UK time) on 16th July 2019.)

I've got all the Charley Pollards, so it's time to see hear what the 8th Doctor got up to next!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tip : If you want everything - go for for the bundle option : all 34 CDs bought separately cost £190.83, compared to £180 for the series 1 - 4 bundle.
Also worth going for the bundle option if you just want one series as there's no postage added on those orders (saving £4).

Just noticed that there's another bundle option ("Lucie Miller : The Story So Far") where you get the 34 CDs PLUS the new Further Adventures of Lucie Miller Box set for £190 - so a tenner for the new box (currently £24.99 if added seperately)

purlieu

Fucking hell
QuoteCatherine Tate returns as Donna Noble – the much loved companion from the Russell T Davies era of Doctor Who – in her own set of audio adventures made by Big Finish Productions in association with BBC Studios.

Donna Noble is returning in a new Big Finish release, Donna Noble: Kidnapped!, but can she manage on her own? She'll fly the TARDIS, make new friends and take the mantle of Earth's protector in four fantastic adventures coming out in May 2020. We hope the universe is ready for her!

Catherine Tate made her debut as Donna in December 2006, in the glorious Christmas special The Runaway Bride and, fortunately for fans, re-appeared as the Doctor's companion in 2008. One series and two Christmas specials later, Donna made her final on-screen appearance alongside David Tennant's Tenth Doctor on 1st January 2010.

Catherine went on to reprise her role for Big Finish in two sets of audio adventures with her best mate, the Doctor, in The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volumes One and Three – perfectly replicating the beloved pairing.

And now Donna will be fighting monsters (and her overbearing mother) with a new companion in four more thrilling audio adventures:

Out of this World by Jacqueline Rayner
Spinvasion by John Dorney
The Sorcerer of Albion by James Goss
The Chiswick Cuckoos by Matt Fitton
Script editor and writer, Matt Fitton, told us more about bringing back Donna: "Donna – on her own and saving the world! It's just irresistible, isn't it? There were a few directions we could take for a solo Donna Noble set – from before her travels to during them – but I thought an interesting angle would be the fallout from the Library (when she experiences life with a perfect family then has it ripped away from her). After that she just wants the comfort of home for a bit.

Catherine Tate will be joined by actor Jacqueline King reprising her TV role as Sylvia Noble – Donna's mother. Matt continues: "Donna and her mum are such brilliant Russell T Davies creations. Perfectly formed and completely believable in their dysfunctionality – it's a joy to see Donna's journey from the self-doubt Sylvia's drummed into her to discovering she can really make a difference. At this point in her travels she's starting to believe in herself, even without the Doctor.

"And Donna's best female friend from school is along for the ride. Nat, played by Niky Wardley, is everything Donna isn't: a career woman, happily married, successful and confident – Sylvia hopes it'll rub off on her daughter! But when Nat sees what Donna's life is really like, Nat starts to question her own; perhaps it's not all as perfect as it's painted. It's a lovely relationship, and great to give Donna an 'assistant' to herself."

This box set also includes Isla Blair as Marge, David Schofield as Parval, Phil Cornwell as Parsnip, Nisha Nayar as Coleridge, Sebastian Armesto as Garrison, Anthony Howell as Adrian, Lydia West as Vivien, Tim Bentinck as Ganthak, Dan Starkey as Dennis and James Joyce as UNIT's Josh Carter.

David Richardson, producer of Donna Noble: Kidnapped!, tells us more: "I've been lucky enough to produce something starring Catherine Tate twice before. I'd call her a national treasure but I think that undersells her – she's an international treasure who has populated our entertainment industry with so many beloved characters.

"Donna Noble is the stardust which was sprinkled over Doctor Who TV series four; she and the Tenth Doctor deservedly became a hugely popular pairing. And here she is at Big Finish, with her own spin-off series. We are so fortunate to have her."

Catherine Tate told us more in studio, "It's lovely that Donna is in charge! The characters carry on developing and having a life on audio. You get a glimpse into the richness of what Donna did. It all adds to the tragedy that at the end Donna loses everything, and it's all the worse to be forgotten."

Donna Noble: Kidnapped! will be crashing into Earth's atmosphere in May 2020 and is available to pre-order now from BigFinish.com priced at £24.99 on CD or £19.99 on download.

daf

Out today - 20th Anniversary set : The Legacy of Time.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-legacy-of-time-1891

An epic six-part adventure celebrating 20 years of Doctor Who at Big Finish!

Time is collapsing. Incidents of chaos and devastation are appearing throughout the lives of one Time Lord and his many friends – all fallout from one terrible disaster. From Earth's past and present to timeless alien worlds, from the cloisters of Gallifrey into the Vortex itself... The Doctor must save universal history – and he needs all the help he can get.

1. Lies in Ruins by James Goss

On a strange ruined world, a renowned archaeologist opens an ancient tomb. Only to find another archaeologist got there first. Professors Summerfield and Song unite to solve a mystery. Then the Eighth Doctor arrives, and things really become dangerous. Because their best friend isn't quite the man River and Benny remember...

2. The Split Infinitive by John Dorney

A criminal gang appears to have recruited a member with time-bending powers. It's a case for the Counter-Measures team – in the 1960s and the 1970s! The Seventh Doctor and Ace have their work cut out to save the day twice over, and make sure Gilmore, Rachel and Allison don't collide with their past, or their future.

3. The Sacrifice of Jo Grant by Guy Adams

When pockets of temporal instability appear in a Dorset village, UNIT are called in. Soon, Kate Stewart and Jo Jones find themselves working alongside the Third Doctor, while Osgood battles to get them home. But this isn't the first time UNIT has faced this threat. Only before, it seems that Jo Grant didn't survive...

4. Relative Time by Matt Fitton

Disaster strikes inside the Time Vortex, and the Fifth Doctor is thrown together with someone from his future... someone claiming to be his daughter! Kleptomaniac Time Lord, the Nine, believes it's his chance to steal something huge. But Jenny just wants her dad to believe in her.

5. The Avenues of Possibility by Jonathan Morris

DI Patricia Menzies is used to the strange, but even she is surprised when the eighteenth century itself falls onto her patch. Fortunately, she has the founders of modern policing to help with her enquiries. And when the Sixth Doctor and Charley arrive, they find armed and hostile forces trying to change Earth history forever.

6. Collision Course by Guy Adams

Fallout from the temporal distortions has now reached Gallifrey. To find the cause, Leela and Romana remember travels with the Fourth Doctor to the same world, at different times. The enemy is revealed, and it may take more than one Doctor to prevent the destruction of everything!

An eight-disc CD set, with a limited edition pressing of just 4,000 copies.

Norton Canes

Have Big Finish ever released any Cushing Doctor stories? With a stand-in, obv.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 17, 2019, 12:42:50 PM
Have Big Finish ever released any Cushing Doctor stories? With a stand-in, obv.

No, but there's precedent for having non-canon Doctors.

The Legacy of Time looks terribly pleased with itself, in mashing as many of its 'much-loved' characters into one unmanagable and overwritten messI have no idea what it's like, but six 70-minute episodes seems a bit much and BF has a terrible track record for epic stories.

daf

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 17, 2019, 01:08:25 PM
No, but there's precedent for having non-canon Doctors.

Yes, the closest to the idea is their Unbound range  - (which is basically "What ifs") - featuring several 'alternative' Doctors :

1. Auld Mortality - Alternate 1st Doctor = Geoffrey Bayldon / "What if... the Doctor and Susan had never left Gallifrey?"
7. A Storm of Angels - Alternate 1st Doctor = Geoffrey Bayldon / "What if... the Doctor really had changed history, even just the tiniest bit? "
5. Deadline - Alternate 1st Doctor =  Derek Jacobi / "What if... Doctor Who did not materialise as a television series?"
- - - - - -
2. Sympathy for the Devil - Alternate 3rd Doctor = David Warner / "What if... the Doctor had not been UNIT's scientific advisor?"
8. Masters of War - Alternate 3rd Doctor = David Warner / "What if.... the Doctor and the Brigadier travelled in the TARDIS together?" 
6. Exile  - Alternate 3rd Doctor = Arabella Weir / "What if the Doctor had escaped the justice of the Time Lords at the end of The War Games?"
- - - - - -
3. Full Fathom Five - Alternate (4th maybe?) Doctor = David Collings / "What if... the Doctor believed that the ends justified the means?"
4. He Jests at Scars / "What if... the Valeyard had won at the end of The Trial of a Time Lord?"

JamesTC

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 17, 2019, 01:08:25 PM
The Legacy of Time looks terribly pleased with itself, in mashing as many of its 'much-loved' characters into one unmanagable and overwritten messI have no idea what it's like, but six 70-minute episodes seems a bit much and BF has a terrible track record for epic stories.

I feel like Big Finish has a bit of an unfair reputation based on a few stories. The Sirens of Time and Zagreus are definitely poorly thought of. I don't mind Sirens and genuinely like Zagreus but I get the criticism. The Light at the End also didn't do amazing in the reviews. Other than that they have done quite well with big events.

In terms of similar multi-story interlinking narrative across eras they have all of the following:
Destiny of the Doctor
Worlds of Big Finish
Worlds of Doctor Who
The Defectors/Last of the Cybermen/The Secret History
The Last Adventure

All of those are well received.

mjwilson

Quote from: JamesTC on July 17, 2019, 10:40:07 PM
I feel like Big Finish has a bit of an unfair reputation based on a few stories. The Sirens of Time and Zagreus are definitely poorly thought of. I don't mind Sirens and genuinely like Zagreus but I get the criticism. The Light at the End also didn't do amazing in the reviews. Other than that they have done quite well with big events.

In terms of similar multi-story interlinking narrative across eras they have all of the following:
Destiny of the Doctor
Worlds of Big Finish
Worlds of Doctor Who
The Defectors/Last of the Cybermen/The Secret History
The Last Adventure

All of those are well received.

I didn't hear the Worlds Ofs ones so maybe I'm missing out on some of the good stuff. In terms of big events, I would add the following to the pile of Big Finish which has made me disinclined to preorder very much these days:

Eighth Doctor season 1
War Doctor first box set
Lost Stories "season 27"
Dark Eyes

daf

"20 years of Doctor Who at Big Finish" Sale :

QuoteHead to page https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/20yearsofwho and use access code SIRENS20 to gain access to these special offers.
The discounts expire at 23:59 (UK time) on 22 July 2019, so move fast!

my favourites from there :
The Companion Chronicles: The Second Doctor Volume 1 - £11
The Secret History - £4
Philip Hinchcliffe Presents Volume 1 Box - £18
And this this is an absolute must  - Jago & Litefoot Series 1 Box - £9