Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Arguably the classic run on tv started it when they cast Richard Hurndall in The Five Doctors.

I really wish Big Finish would restart the Unbound run proper. For those who never tried it Unbound was a series of plays casting different actors as alternate timeline Doctors. David Warner, Geoffrey Bayldon and David Collings all made excellent alternate Doctors. They have brought Warner back in various box sets, I wish they'd do more of that.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 20, 2019, 07:00:10 PM
Arguably the classic run on tv started it when they cast Richard Hurndall in The Five Doctors.

I really wish Big Finish would restart the Unbound run proper. For those who never tried it Unbound was a series of plays casting different actors as alternate timeline Doctors. David Warner, Geoffrey Bayldon and David Collings all made excellent alternate Doctors. They have brought Warner back in various box sets, I wish they'd do more of that.

David Warner is one of the finest actors of his generation and he's particularly impressive on audio. He's devoted to BF too and prioritises their jobs over others. 

Phil_A

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on August 20, 2019, 07:00:10 PM

The Unbound with Derek Jacobi might be the best thing BF ever put out.

daf

Sylvester McCoy Birthday Sale *

QuoteHead to offer page https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/seven19 and enter the code SYLVESTER to access all these special offer bargains, prices start at just £4.99! These offers will expire at 23:59 (UK time) on 26th August 2019, so don't miss out!
I've become a massive Bonnie Langford / Mel fan on audio - so I'm off to fill my boots!

- - - - - - - - - - - -
* (CDs £5.99 / 10% off for orders over £50)

daf

Colin Baker Sale

QuoteHead to page url: https://www.bigfinish.com/offers/v/sixie19 and enter code COLIN for access to all these incredible special offers. The discount expires at 23:59 (UK time) on 23rd September 2019, so move fast!

All £5.99 CD (+MP3) / £4.99 MP3, except for *

Masters of Earth
The Rani Elite
Last of the Cybermen
Criss-Cross
Planet of the Rani
Shield of the Jotunn
Order of the Daleks
Absolute Power
Quicksilver
Vortex Ice / Cortex Fire
Return of the Krotons * (£3.99 CD / £2.99 MP3)
Trial of the Valeyard * (£3.99 CD / £2.99 MP3)
The Last Adventure * (£24.99 CD / £19.99 MP3)

Famous Mortimer

Are the Blakes Seven ones they put out any good?

daf

Haven't dipped my toe in them yet, but if they're anything like the Doctor Who Audios, they should be just as good . . . IF NOT BETTER . . than the TV version!

There are two ranges I think - "The Liberator Chronicles", are more like a talking book - acted out by a couple of the original cast members, and also a range of full-cast dramas. Here's a page with a rundown of all the different releases (also lists which original cast members take part in each story)

A quick review from The Geek's Handbag - who seems to know his Blakes 7 onions.

And here's a whole story from the series 2 box set someones stuck up on youtube - Mindset.

purlieu

edit: ignore

daf

Tom Baker Sale

QuoteGet 40% OFF with checkout code OCTOMBAKER on the releases on this page.
CD and Download bundles for The Fourth Doctor Adventures Series 1-6 have a 40% discount applied automatically for the period of the offer.
This deal expires 23:59 (UK time) on October 31st 2019.

If anyone's after a complete series, there's a BIG price difference by choosing the bundle option compared to getting them separately (eg. the 9 CDs in series six with 40% off comes to £63.35, but when bought as a bundle it's only £48.60 - which works out at roughly 50% off)

Series 1* (6 CD) Bundle - £32.40
Series 2 (7 CD) Bundle - £37.80
Series 3 (8 CD) Bundle - £43.20
Series 4 (8 CD) Bundle - £43.20
Series 5 (8 CD) Bundle - £43.20
Series 6 (9 CD) Bundle - £48.60

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (only the first two series guide links exist on the Big Finish website at the moment - but I've guessed the rest as I won't be able to add them once the editing window closes. They might work . . .  or they might not. Stay tuned for exciting busted link roulette!)

daf

Jago & Litefoot SALE

(Bit late on this - offer closes midnight tomorrow, so nip in sharp!)

If anyone fancies picking up where Talons left off, these are well worth a punt!

Series 1-11 CD + download boxes = £17.49 / download only = £14.99)
Series 12-13  CD + download boxes = £23.09 / download only = £19.79)

Best to go chronological, though each story is pretty much standalone, the boxes have a loose theme, and usually leave on a cliff-hanger. Two standalone 'Voyages' with the 6th Doctor bridge series 4 and 5 (which is the only one not set in the Victorian age - but is a fun 'swinging' interlude)

Malcy

Listened to the first story from the Rose Tyler: Dimension Cannon set. Really enjoyed it. I've been struggling to get through audios recently to the point that I don't even know where I am in several sets but this will definitely be finished over the weekend.

Mark Benton is great in it.

daf

Black and White Friday Sale
https://www.bigfinish.com/collections/v/beginnings

QuoteTo celebrate the 56th Anniversary of Doctor Who this weekend, get up to 50% OFF selected First and Second Doctor releases - NO CODE REQUIRED!
Be quick - this offer expires at 23:59 (UK time) on 25 November 2019.

purlieu

QuoteBig Finish Masterful – John Simm Reprises Role of The Master

Coming in January 2021, marking the 50th anniversary of the Master's first appearance in Doctor Who, Masterful is a deluxe limited edition 8-disc audio adventure from Big Finish Productions in association with BBC Studios. In his Big Finish debut, actor John Simm will reprise the role of the Master, as originally played on television from 2007 (and, most recently, in World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls, opposite Peter Capaldi). Doctor Who: Masterful, written by James Goss, will also feature actors Geoffrey Beevers, Mark Gatiss, Derek Jacobi, Alex MacQueen, Milo Parker and Eric Roberts as previous incarnations of the evil Time Lord.

Plus, of course, no reunion of Masters would be complete without Missy, the most recent incarnation, as played by Michelle Gomez. John Simm said, "It's a real honour to play this character: the nemesis of the Doctor. He's everything the Doctor is but he's evil. And it's been great recording with Big Finish. You don't get bored, it's fantastic. It's fun. It went really quickly. And I got to work withDerek Jacobi."

Producer, David Richardson, added, "It was all Jason Haigh-Ellery's idea. 'We should do a special for the 50th anniversary of the Master in 2021,' he said, and I leapt at the chance to produce it. James Goss was the perfect choice as writer -we knew he'd offer something as entertaining as it was dark, as imaginative as it was thrilling -and he hasn't let us down! "But my first port of call was securing the talents of our Masters (and Missy) -many of them had worked for us before, but for John Simm this was his Big Finish debut. They say never meet your heroes, but they're wrong. I had one of the best days of my life in studio with Sir Derek Jacobi and John Simm, towering actors and simply two of the warmest, loveliest human beings you could ever hope to spend time with. This may be a line-up of pure, unadulterated evil -but behind every sinister smile there's a lovely actor we're blessed to work with!"

Doctor Who: Masterful is now available to pre-order as a limited edition 8-CD box set (priced at £44.99), or on download (at £39.99) at the Big Finish website.

Malcy

It sounds great but I'm struggling to listen to more than one or two BF releases a year. I have dozens of them if not over a hundred that I'd like to listen to but just can't.

I'd love to know what their profits are.

mjwilson

8 discs, ffs. I already steer clear of 4 disc sets because there's only likely to be a couple of decent stories.

mjwilson

Although the website says there's a standard edition with just 3 CDs, I don't know how they could manage 5 discs of difference between that and the limited edition though.

purlieu

A 'making of' disc, a 'The Masters on Big Finish' documentary and three previous multi-Master stories? It seems pretty daft.

mjwilson

Now announced as 1 disc behind the scenes, 1 disc some re-released Short Trips, 3 discs a new narrated audiobook. Makes a bit more sense.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 13, 2017, 11:39:09 AM
I've put together a document listing all the Doctor Who audios ever, plus ones based on TV spinoffs, should such an item be useful to anyone? It's 11 pages.

I've updated this, following talk about purlieu launching himself into the infinite hell of Big Finish, and it's now 13 pages. Anyone interested?

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 17, 2019, 01:08:25 PM
No, but there's precedent for having non-canon Doctors.

The Legacy of Time looks terribly pleased with itself, in mashing as many of its 'much-loved' characters into one unmanagable and overwritten messI have no idea what it's like, but six 70-minute episodes seems a bit much and BF has a terrible track record for epic stories.

Obviously they have an impersonator for the third Doctor, and I am aware there's a precedent for using impersonators for the other Doctors too; does this release use the real actors for Doctors 4-8?

Bad Ambassador

Yeah when it's a full cast audio (so not a Companion Chronicle, Short Trip or other dramatised reading) they always use the original actors for Doctors 4 to 8.

I know Big Finish's output veers a bit too much towards fan-fiction at times and the quality can be iffy (especially noticeable now they're churning out so much content) but I will forever love them for convincing Tom Baker to return and giving us a shedload more 4th Doctor performances.

mjwilson

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 18, 2019, 12:44:24 PM
Yeah when it's a full cast audio (so not a Companion Chronicle, Short Trip or other dramatised reading) they always use the original actors for Doctors 4 to 8.

I know Big Finish's output veers a bit too much towards fan-fiction at times and the quality can be iffy (especially noticeable now they're churning out so much content) but I will forever love them for convincing Tom Baker to return and giving us a shedload more 4th Doctor performances.

Pity they're all shit.

(yes I know, this is just a cheap joke and I haven't even heard most of them, I just know they don't have the best reputation)

purlieu

Paul McGann comes down to Earth with a bump in Doctor Who: Stranded

Landing in your home in July 2020, Doctor Who: Stranded is the first of four box sets in the new Eighth Doctor Adventures series from Big Finish Productions, in association with BBC Studios.

The Doctor swaps outer space for inner London in this forthcoming full cast audio drama, and unlike the TARDIS, the Time Lord's house on Baker Street isn't bigger on the inside, leading to domestic tensions.

Each volume of Doctor Who: Stranded is now available to pre-order as a collector's edition box set (priced at £24.99), or on download (at £19.99) at www.bigfinish.com.

Paul McGann stars as the Doctor, with faithful returning companions Helen Sinclair (played by Hattie Morahan) and Liv Chenka (played by Nicola Walker). Doctor Who: Stranded also introduces a new pair to the TARDIS team in the shape of Tania Bell (played by Rebecca Root) and Sergeant Andy Davidson (Tom Price reprising his role from the popular Doctor Who spin-off, Torchwood).

The TARDIS is gone. Stranded in one time and place, the Doctor, Liv and Helen seek refuge in Baker Street. But the house has changed: they now have neighbours – not all of them welcoming. And someone has a dire warning for the future.

The Doctor and friends face their greatest challenge yet: living one day after another, in 2020 London.

Actor Paul McGann said: "It's not our usual fare, so it feels refreshing and somehow wintry. It's dark outside. That time of year when the walls are closing in a bit. It's got the flavour of a bunch of polar explorers stuck on a rock for the winter.

"What I like most about it is the contrast – the whizzing round galaxies and having adventures, and suddenly they're having to share a space and they get cabin fever. And so the Doctor gets a bit bitter about it all. But they're trying to make the best of it. It's good and it's funny as well."

Producer David Richardson added: "Stranded is a brand new start for the Eighth Doctor Adventures. It's a new setting, bringing in new characters and it has its own distinct tone. There's no epic struggle to save the universe – this is about a group of people living in a house in London in 2020, and their struggles to find a role in this world. Of course there will be aliens and strange threats along the way, but the focus is always on our characters. It was a joy to see how much Paul McGann loved these scripts – some of his favorites out of all the ones we've made."

The first box set in the Doctor Who: Stranded series will contain four spellbinding stories:

Lost Property by Matt Fitton
Wild Animals by John Dorney
Must-See TV by Lisa McMullin
Divine Intervention by David K Barnes
All four box sets of Doctor Who: Stranded are now available to pre-order in collector's edition CD format (priced at £24.99), or on download (at £19.99) at the Big Finish website.

JamesTC

Quote from: mjwilson on December 18, 2019, 06:19:06 PM
Pity they're all shit.

(yes I know, this is just a cheap joke and I haven't even heard most of them, I just know they don't have the best reputation)

The first few series don't have a good reputation but the 4th Doctor audios have improved a fair bit.

The fifth series onwards, as well as his box sets, are all great.

Malcy

I'd seen something about that new McGann set but didn't not PC Andy was in it! Might listen to this one. The majority of the McGann stuff is long and connected which puts me off. Really enjoyed the ones with Sheridan Smith though.

daf

Happy 86th birthday, Doctor Who #4!

Lovely chat with Tom Baker & Nick Briggs on the Big Finish channel :
Tom Baker in conversation

Malcy

Malcy

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Malcy on February 05, 2020, 04:37:21 PM
Jack & River to meet finally.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-lives-of-captain-jack-volume-03-2187

Great, let's have them fuck off to a pocket universe where they can sling single entendres at each other in a ludicrous sassy manner for ever more, leaving the rest of us in peace.