Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 06, 2018, 01:00:01 PM
The only audio I've ever listened to all the way through is the one with the Fourth Doctor, Leela and the Iceni (unfortunately not called 'The Iceni Warriors'). It's pretty good - Louise Jameson is excellent, as ever.

Yes that's a good one - probably the best from the first series. I always prefer earth based, or historical stories, so this was always going to be right up my street!

If you fancy another Fourth Doctor, try Justice of Jalxar - from the second series (Mary Tamm's only one, sadly). It also gives you a handy taste of Jago & Litefoot.

Replies From View

That 50th anniversary use of the McCann logo with 60s howlaround was great.  Did they keep it beyond 2013?

daf

Yes - it was used all through 2014. It changed to the 'brushed metal' variant in 2015 :

All of the fourth Doctor covers have an alternate cover on the reverse featuring the diamond logo (or the chrome JNT one for some of the Romana II ones).

Quote from: daf on August 06, 2018, 03:11:54 PMAll of the fourth Doctor covers have an alternate cover on the reverse featuring the diamond logo (or the chrome JNT one for some of the Romana II ones).

I think most if not all of the DW ranges of theirs now have reversible covers with era-appropriate logos and letterings, certainly the main monthly range and Companion Chronicles do, though only for releases from 2010 onwards.

daf

Yeah, good point - I should have made it clear that feature wasn't exclusive to the Fourth Doctor range.

Couldn't find 2nd & 5th Doctors, but you get the general idea. Not sure what they do with the McGanns, though - as it's his logo they use on the front (different colour?)

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on August 06, 2018, 09:28:33 PM

Carole Non Ford, I call her.

Edit:  Oh, not her.  The fake Carole Ann Ford that they use for the new Big Finish productions - I call her Carole Non Ford.

daf

Yes, she's the real one, but it may as well be the new one, as she sounds NOTHING like how she did in the show -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klFym9N8SVU

Sheesh - Make an effort, old fruit!

Here's Peter Purves and Maureen O'Brien (Steven & Vicki) in comparison :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRIYvdZSeeE

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed that there are more Big Finish adventures than the classic and new series combined, and that doesn't even take in to account the various companion spin-off's and other series that are related to the show.

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on August 06, 2018, 09:40:39 PM
Yes, she's the real one, but it may as well be the new one, as she sounds NOTHING like how she did in the show -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klFym9N8SVU

Sheesh - Make an effort, old fruit!

Maybe she is also the Doctor's grandmother.  ONE FOR THE FANFUCTIONS THERE.

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 06, 2018, 11:40:18 PM
Just noticed that there are more Big Finish adventures than the classic and new series combined

How long is the average Big Finish adventure?

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on August 07, 2018, 10:46:36 AM
How long is the average Big Finish adventure?

Usually 4 30 min episodes. The spin off episodes are usually around an hour.

purlieu

Fanwank ahoy!

QuoteBig Finish is to celebrate 20 years of creating Doctor Who stories on audio with The Legacy of Time – the biggest audio crossover event ever.

Six hour-long stories see characters from the entire history of Doctor Who crossing paths – some for the very first time – Classic and New Series Doctor Who will collide.

Professor River Song (Alex Kingston) meets her predecessor, a time-traveling archaeologist, Professor Bernice Summerfield (Lisa Bowerman). Kate Stewart (Jemma Redgrave) travels back in time to classic UNIT and meets the Third Doctor (voiced by Tim Treloar) and Jo Grant (Katy Manning).

As 2019 is also the 30th anniversary year of their first appearance in Remembrance of the Daleks, the Counter-Measures team will be reunited with the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and Ace (Sophie Aldred). And the Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) and his companion Charlotte Pollard (India Fisher) once again meet Detective Inspector Patricia Menzies (Anna Hope) in a police procedural like no other!

Plus a visit to Gallifrey, and elsewhere the Time War. Doctors will meet, and there will be Easter Eggs aplenty.
QuoteTime is collapsing.

Incidents of temporal chaos and devastation are appearing throughout the many lives of the Doctor and his friends – falllout from one terrible disaster.

The Doctor must save history itself – and he will need all the help he can get.
Lies in Ruins by James Goss
The Split Infinitive by John Dorney
The Sacrifice of Jo Grant by Guy Adams
Episode four by Matt Fitton (to be confirmed)
The Avenues of Possibility by Jonny Morris
Collision Course by Guy Adams
The truth is revealed, and it will take more than one Doctor to save the day!

The cast of The Legacy of Time includes:

Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Alex Kingston, Lisa Bowerman, Sophie Aldred, Simon Williams, Pamela Salem, Karen Gledhill, Hugh Ross, Tim Treloar, Katy Manning, Jemma Redgrave, Ingrid Oliver, India Fisher, Anna Hope, Lalla Ward and Louise Jameson...

Executive Producer and one of the founding members of Big Finish, Nicholas Briggs told us about this exciting new release
The Legacy of Time will probably go down in Big Finish history as our biggest, most exciting production, ever! Celebrating 20 years of Doctor Who at Big Finish, it expertly pulls together all the strands from our many and varied Doctor Who ranges.

This is down to the brilliance of script editor Matt Fitton and producer David Richardson. They epitomise the creative strength, organisational expertise and leadership of the company. Quite simply, this is going to blow people's minds! It's got everything!
The producer assigned this epic task is David Richardson.
How do you celebrate something that has meant so much to all of us who work here – the friendships, the freedom to be creative, the glory that is Doctor Who itself? That was the challenge facing myself and Matt Fitton, but once I'd had an idea for what this six-hour epic would be about (spoilers!) it was then relatively easy to start assembling the huge team of characters and actors who would take us on the journey.

The Legacy of Time is quite possibly the biggest Doctor Who story we have ever told at Big Finish. It's been so hugely satisfying to make – I hope everyone finds it just as satisfying to listen to!
Chairman and Executive producer of Big Finish, Jason Haigh-Ellery said.
In July 1999 we released The Sirens of Time. In July 2019 we're releasing The Legacy of Time. Those two decades have been so fulfilling for us at Big Finish - a chance to work with so many great and talented actors, writers, productions crews and all of our friends at the BBC. This is a celebration of it all, with lots of surprise returns and references. Think of it as one massive Doctor Who party - and everyone is invited...
Doctor Who: The Legacy of Time will be available from bigfinish.com on download and, as one of the last audio producers and distributors still making CDs, released in an eight-disc CD set with a limited edition of just 4,000.

Doctor Who: The Legacy of Time will be released in July 2019 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Big Finish's first Doctor Who release, The Sirens of Time.

Malcy

Im looking forward to that but wish they wouldnt use Tim Treloar as 3. I'd rather have no doctor at all than a sound alike.

Also, Kate Stewart has already met Jo in the present day. I wonder will they have memory wipes going on.

Replies From View

How do they rationalise River Song in the library two-parter saying that the Tenth Doctor is the youngest incarnation she has ever encountered if she's been prone to pissing around with the Third Doctor and others?

daf

Youngest looking incarnation maybe? *

It's all a bit weird with the first doctor looking the oldest while being technically the youngest.

- - - - - - - -
* (at that point - clearly Smith looks like a toddler compared to Pertwee)

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on August 20, 2018, 02:10:40 PM
Youngest looking incarnation maybe? *

It's all a bit weird with the first doctor looking the oldest while being technically the youngest.

- - - - - - - -
* (at that point - clearly Smith looks like a toddler compared to Pertwee)

Surely it was about looking deep into his eyes and sensing that he is younger in his life; nothing to do with the apparent age of any of his incarnations.

Is there really no in-universe reason for that?  I'd have thought her memory should be wiped of all incarnations earlier than the tenth.

Malcy

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 21, 2018, 05:57:40 PM
Doctor Who and Torchwood bundle on humble bundle right now. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/more-torchwood-doctor-who-audiobooks?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_2_layout_index_4_layout_type_twos_tile_index_2

Never heard of that before. Good deal. Have most of the titles offered but there was a Star Trek Online thing at the bottom that I think I'll get so thanks.

purlieu

Quote from: Replies From View on August 20, 2018, 02:19:36 PM
Surely it was about looking deep into his eyes and sensing that he is younger in his life; nothing to do with the apparent age of any of his incarnations.

Is there really no in-universe reason for that?  I'd have thought her memory should be wiped of all incarnations earlier than the tenth.
Maybe they memory-wipe every encounter she has with him (which I think they do with the earlier Doctors who meet him).

I'm not keen on the idea of her going and meeting every bloody Doctor ever anyway. I prefer the idea of her only being in a certain part of his life.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on August 22, 2018, 12:40:21 PM
Maybe they memory-wipe every encounter she has with him (which I think they do with the earlier Doctors who meet him).

I'm not keen on the idea of her going and meeting every bloody Doctor ever anyway. I prefer the idea of her only being in a certain part of his life.

I think when she met Colin Baker's Doctor that he only heard her  voice and didn't meet her in person. I can't remember the others and still haven't listened to the last set.

daf

Fourth Doctor Sale - Series 1-5 CDs £5 / Downloads £2.99 & Box sets at £25 - offer ends 30 Aug (11:59pm).
(Postage is capped at £4, and you get 10% off for orders over £50)

Off to fill my boots!

Malcy

They must record the audios a good bit in advance of their release. The recent McGann Time War 2 has Julia McKenzie I it who I'm sure is dead a couple of years. The new Tom Baker audios will be released up until 2021 or something.

Chriddof

Julia McKenzie is still alive - but her Fresh Fields co-star Anton Rodgers died in 2007.

purlieu

Quote from: Malcy on August 24, 2018, 12:19:31 PM
They must record the audios a good bit in advance of their release.

Yes, I believe they're recorded in bulk and then spread out over a period of time. They often announce titles for things that are three or four years off.

JamesTC

I wish they would fuck off the Daleks for a while. Particularly annoyed they are in the Lucie Miller set. All we seem to have had with Paul McGann for years is Dalek stories every other week.

Hope the Sixth Doctor set (which will be announced next year) is with Peri. She has been strangely ignored by Big Finish for a long time. She isn't even in the 20th anniversary set which is just ridiculous.

daf

Bit late on this, but still a day left on a Bernice Summerfield sale :
QuoteJoin us in celebrating 20 years of Bernice Summerfield audio adventures with up to 50% off (in some cases even more!) all stories featuring one of our favourite time-travelling archaeologists – from Big Finish's first ever release in 1999, all the way to exploring the universe Unbound...
Bennyat20 - enter code : BIRTHDAY

Bit daunting as there's SO much of it, but all the series 1-11 CDs are discounted to £2.50 each, and the box sets also 50% (£10-£15) - so a good opportunity to dip a toe in.

Series 1 are two disc novel adaptations - The first one  'Oh No it Isn't' features Nicholas Courtney as her cat - and is a cracking romp.
3-5 (Walking to Babylon/ Birthright / Just War) represent 'The Time Ring' trilogy - with 'Just War' considered as a Benny classic.

Series 2 (single discs) was something of a miss-fire, not helped by the fact that the CDs and books alternated at this point - meaning if you only followed the audios, a lot of continuity is going on 'offstage'.

Everything after that is pretty much good or excellent - particularly the later series. ('Doctor Oho' reviews most of the stories here.)

The box sets that followed (Epoch / Road Trip / Legion / New Frontiers / Missing Persons) were seen as a new start - though these don't seem to be as highly regarded as the earlier standalone releases - one for completists only maybe.

The latest 'New Adventures' box sets are meant to be yet another jumping on point and are much better (particularly 3 & 4 with David Warner & Mark Gatiss as the 'Unbound Universe' Doctor & Master - the first 2 feature the variable charms of 7th Doctor).

- - - - - - - -
Ordering in series 'bundles' gives you free postage - though not the 10% discount for orders over £50 - so for any orders over £50 its worth taking the £4 postage hit as the 10% discount will be more than that . . . (I think that's right!)

purlieu

I'm wondering whether to do the Bennie books after I've finished the Who ones... I think I might be Who'd out by that point. I did find a Big Finish CD in a charity shop a few months back though - The Plague Herds of Excelis - which I'll be listening to at some point.

samadriel

Is 'Just War' a rejig of the Lance Parkin 7th Doctor novel?

Bad Ambassador