Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:02:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Tennant/River Song set on the way. Saw a pic somewhere else of the cover and Davison on it as well. Been listening to whatever series of Rivers Diary that I'm on but keep falling asleep. Going to try finish it and keep going because I really enjoy River on audio.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/david-tennant-and-alex-kingston-together-again

mjwilson

Davison and Colin in some kind of guest appearance,  presumably just cameos I guess.

Malcy

Quote from: mjwilson on June 24, 2020, 12:41:08 PM
Davison and Colin in some kind of guest appearance,  presumably just cameos I guess.

Missed that bit in the article. I've heard stories with both and they work well with River.

Malcy

Finally finished S3 of River Song. That was tough. Not a fucking clue what was going on for 95% of it. Some bollocks about Madame Kovarian, a guy called Andrew who looked like the 5th Doctor with a heavy Yorkshire accent and the normal 5th Doc both played by Davison and River's regenerating sisters made from her DNA.

Going to start series 4 this week. Tom Baker appears in this series then it's on to S5 with all the Masters.

This morning I sat and listened to all of the new 8th Doctor boxset called Stranded. Tom Baker is back as The Curator incarnation as well as PC Andy from Torchwood.

I really liked it. Plods along for 4 episodes and not very much happens making it seem like one long setting up episode but it kept my interest so much I just let the next episode play one after the other. Don't think I've ever done that with a BF before.

Little nods to old and new Who, a great scene where the Doctor thinks he's found a way to make unlimited money and mysteries dotted through them that don't always lead anywhere and seem like it's being saved for the next one.

At times it felt like I wasn't even listening to a BF Doctor Who but more an episode of The Archers or something. And it was the better for it. Especially after the River Song set.

Malcy

Finding the next River boxset tough to get through again. I wish BF wouldn't rely on wacky voices for aliens and robots. Can barely make out what they are saying half the time.

Can't be doing with 52nd Century robots saying things like "Amazeballs" either. It referenced something else as well, can't remember what, but it stood out and not in a good way.

Two more ep's then I think I'll finish the Rose Tyler set and give River a break for a while.

daf

Yes, it's another Jago & Litefoot SALE! - ends at 23:59 (UK time) on 4 August 2020.

Series 1 to 6 are a bargain £8.99 on download / £9.99 for the CD set (includes mp3 download)

I have all these already, and was only intending to grab the mp3 download versions for my laptop, but as the series 1-6 CD bundle * is only £5 more than the MP3 bundle (CD=£50 / MP3=£45) I decided I may as well get brand new copies to replace my slightly tatty second-hand boxes.

Quote from: Big FinishPRICE REDUCTION! The standard prices for Jago & Litefoot Series 02 thru 05 have been reduced: £19.99 on CD, and £17.99 on download. And now you can also get Series 01-06 at 50% off for a limited time.

BUNDLES! Big Finish listeners can also save money with the Jago & Litefoot series 1-6 bundle, which is half price for a limited time: select a bundle HERE!

LIMITED TIME! To get the full Jago & Litefoot collection, choose all 27 stories featuring the duo as a promotion-exclusive bundle: select a bundle HERE! (This bundle will no longer be available after the sale has ended!*)

END OF LINE! The following collector's editions are no longer being pressed, so now is the time to grab them before they go out of print! Limited stocks on titles include: Jago & Litefoot Series 1-13, Jago & Litefoot Forever, Voyage to Venus, Voyage to the New World and Benjamin and Baxter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Note: for CD bundles, Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles - The Mahogany Murderers is offered as a download only, as the collector's edition is already out of print on this title.

I think the series 7-14 are likely to remain in print for the present - as they're not included in the sale - but I'd not be surprised if some, if not all, of the series 1-6 CD boxes get snapped up pretty quickly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (includes free postage, and also comes with the 'Benjamin & Baxter' interview 2xCD thrown in as a bonus!)

Malcy

Hoping to get round to the Jago & Litefoot sets at some point. Think the only one I've heard is the Mahogany Murders.

Finished River Song this morning. Fairly decent story with the 4th Doctor who I found works really well with River. Moving on to Rose and probably something else before returning to the River sets though.

The quality has dropped massively as it's gone on. Could do without more stories with incomprehensible villains and robots that talk about Reggae Reggae Sauce.

It's just too difficult to keep up with BF releases. I haven't listened to anything from the main range in a couple of years. Only spin-offs.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on July 30, 2020, 04:10:59 PM
Hoping to get round to the Jago & Litefoot sets at some point. Think the only one I've heard is the Mahogany Murders.

That's pretty much a double-handed Companion Chronicle - think of it like a pilot episode.

It does it's job in re-establishing the characters, but the main series are all full-cast productions that spin-off into many different areas (e.g. series 5 is set in the 1960s!).

Type in 'jago & litefoot' on spotify - that should give you an idea if you'd like to dip in further.

JamesTC

Jago & Litefoot is one of the best things Big Finish has done. It is certainly by far the best spin-off.

Malcy

Quote from: daf on July 30, 2020, 04:37:07 PM
That's pretty much a double-handed Companion Chronicle - think of it like a pilot episode.

It does it's job in re-establishing the characters, but the main series are all full-cast productions that spin-off into many different areas (e.g. series 5 is set in the 1960s!).

Type in 'jago & litefoot' on spotify - that should give you an idea if you'd like to dip in further.

I think I have the first few series on a hard drive. My BF stuff is so unorganised. Attempted it recently but gave up after 5 mins!

I've listened to Jago, Litefoot & Strax as well I think.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on July 30, 2020, 06:23:41 PM
I've listened to Jago, Litefoot & Strax as well I think.

That's a good one - very funny, and an unusually long 2xCD story for them (all the other stories are 50-60 mins on one disc, I think)

I'll have start picking up The Paternoster Gang - as Jago seems to be in the forthcoming Series 4 box set -

Malcy

Big Finish Day today. Been streaming since 4pm. I've dipped in and out and mostly seen trailers for old releases and 1 minute countdowns to the next trailer or fan talking!

Jon Culshaw has been popping up doing Doctor speeches as different people. He done one from Genesis Of The Daleks as Trump but I turned it off sharpish! Also done 6's courtroom speech from Trial as Simon Cowell.

McGann & Kingston on now. Good so far. Will skim through properly tomorrow.

daf

Ooh, what's this - Where's it streaming from?

Malcy

Quote from: daf on August 01, 2020, 11:19:09 PM
Ooh, what's this - Where's it streaming from?

Ah sorry I forgot to paste in the link!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zQ86dGg7AoQ

It's 7+ hours long but I can only seem to get a 4 hour video of it.

daf

Cheers - thought I'd missed the lot, so 4 hours worth will do me fine!

daf

The full 7 hours & 18 minutes is up there now.

Lots of good stuff in there & I'm definitely pencilling in Missy and The Paternoster Gang for my next splurge!

Malcy

Quote from: daf on August 05, 2020, 10:23:51 PM
The full 7 hours & 18 minutes is up there now.

Lots of good stuff in there & I'm definitely pencilling in Missy and The Paternoster Gang for my next splurge!

Wasn't that big a fan of Missy on TV. Hoping she's better in the audios as I fely the same about River but liked the character on audio.

Finished Rose Tyler: Dimension Cannon. Really liked it but the last story just descends into a gay love story with a disapproving old bloke and adds absolutely zero to the story itself which just ends. Rose and Jackie just become background characters. It just became a generic drama and nothing very Doctor Who. Shame as the 3 other stories were really good.

There was a similar bit in Stranded where the story just grinds to a halt while a character announces they're trans. Adds nothing to the story and just feels a bit shoehorned in unfortunately.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on August 06, 2020, 01:16:58 PM
Wasn't that big a fan of Missy on TV. Hoping she's better in the audios as I fely the same about River but liked the character on audio.

I enjoyed the panel of Missy writers - John Dorney is one of their top writers - so I feel it's in good hands there.

I liked Missy on TV, but wasn't sure what kind of direction they would take her on audio. By the sound of the trailer - (with Rufus Hound as the Meddling Monk protesting about being called "The Monk") - it's a fairly comedic take, rather than anything too depressingly gritty, with a bit of fourth wall breaking thrown in - which is right up my street.

VelourSpirit

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-time-lord-victorious-echoes-of-extinction-2262
Don't know if anyone's been following this Time Lord Victorious stuff but they've just announced what I'm assuming is the finale to it. So after three McGann audios there'll be also be a McGann/Tennant dual story thing where you flip the vinyl over (it's "commissioned for vinyl") or err... select the other download file, and get the other side of the story, and I think you're meant to be able to listen to them in any order? I'm not sure. I don't think the 8th and 10th Docs are actually gonna meet though.

daf

Sounds a bit like Flip Flop - with it's 'black' CD and 'White' CD - to be played in any order.

Interesting there's no 'middle' CD option, between bare-bones MP3 and super-deluxe Vinyl - neither of which suit my needs!

mjwilson

Some discussion elsewhere suggests that this is a commission by the record company, so it's not necessarily Big Finish just being dicks about not having a CD release for one out of four parts.

Malcy

The whole Time Lord Victorious thing is getting a bit hard to keep track of at this stage. It seems to be audio, books, comics maybe and I think I saw something about toys as well.

I wonder will they release a big Time Lord Victorious boxset of everything priced about £500. It had to be the most expensive story in history in terms of how much it will cost the consumer to get the full story.

daf

I'd have probably gone for a multi-Doctor box (I've got the recent 8 disc set), but I can't keep up with who's taking part - just McGann and Tennant so far, right?.

Actually, I've just looked it up - only the 8th 9th and 10th are included, which in practical terms means just the 8th and 10th.

Yeah, I think unless they throw in Charley Pollard or Lucie Miller in there, I can live without any of these.

mjwilson

Yeah I don't think there are going to be any more Doctors in it (outside of comics).

Malcy

Malcy

From the BF site.

QuoteFirst seen on screen in 2005, Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor introduced a whole new generation of sci-fi fans to the TARDIS, Time Lords and sonic screwdriver. 
Now he's back in a brand-new series of twelve fantastic full-cast audio adventures in time and space, due to be released across four box sets, starting with volume one in May 2021. 
Christopher Eccleston said: "After 15 years it will be exciting to revisit the Ninth Doctor's world, bringing back to life a character I love playing."

Story details, writers and additional guest cast are being kept under wraps at present but this Doctor Who audio series promises to be, once again, the trip of a lifetime. 
Doctor Who fans worldwide can now pre-order all four volumes, which are available in three formats – collector's edition CD, digital download or limited edition gatefold triple LP vinyl. Shop the range HERE! 

Big Finish's Chairman, Jason Haigh-Ellery said: "I first talked to Christopher about returning to the role of the Doctor at the Gallifrey One convention in February this year. Christopher said he was enjoying meeting the fans and was pleased that his Doctor was remembered so fondly.  He indicated he would be open to discussing a project with Big Finish.
"And then the pandemic happened and time moved both quickly and very slowly. Over recent months, ideas have been exchanged and discussions had. I am so pleased that Christopher has decided to return to the role with us – and I'm excited to welcome him to the Big Finish family as we discover the new adventures of the Ninth Doctor."

Big Finish's Creative Director, Nicholas Briggs, added: "Working with Chris was a very special time for me. The beginning of my Doctor Who TV career. So, writing for and directing him feels incredibly exciting. He's such a powerful performer and it'll be amazing to work with him again."
Each of the four volumes in Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures will be released as a 4-disc collector's edition box set or download containing three brand-new full cast audio adventures, plus a selection of behind-the-scenes extras. 
Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures is now available for pre-order exclusively HERE from just £19.99. 

Big Finish listeners can save by pre-ordering a bundle of the entire series for just £88 (as a collector's edition box set) or £78 (as a download). 

Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures triple LP vinyls are strictly limited to a pressing of 1,000 per volume, and can be pre-ordered at £35.99 each, or £132 for the bundle of all four albums, Grab the vinyls HERE. Please note: the vinyl editions do not include the behind-the-scenes extras.

Small Man Big Horse

Quite amazed by that, but it's fantastic to hear, and hopefully means he might even make an appearance in a future anniversary special or something like that.

daf

Cards on the table, I NEVER thought this would happen - Knighthood for Briggsy!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(I can't remember offhand where the gaps in the TV continuity are, but I bet one of those stories will be set on the Titanic!)

crankshaft

I think this could be great, but if it's the same writers they throw indiscriminately at every single project...I don't know. I don't find the idea of yet more Big Finish DW by Nick Briggs a very appealing prospect.

I am, however, delighted they've got Chris, and very pleased that he's happy to do it - considering how miserable the experience was for him in 2004, he deserves a lap of honour for being so good.

JamesTC

Quote from: crankshaft on August 09, 2020, 05:05:25 PM
I think this could be great, but if it's the same writers they throw indiscriminately at every single project...I don't know. I don't find the idea of yet more Big Finish DW by Nick Briggs a very appealing prospect.

At least they can't do a Dalek story without some serious continuity bending which hopefully puts them off. I'm absolutely sick of Daleks every other story.