Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Audio Adventures

Started by daf, July 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

What are the odds for Smith now?

(I'm almost certain Capaldi is up for it - but is just observing a decent period of 'cooling off' - so he doesn't overshadow Jodie's TV Doctor)

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: daf on August 09, 2020, 05:17:15 PM
What are the odds for Smith now?

(I'm almost certain Capaldi is up for it - but is just observing a decent period of 'cooling off' - so he doesn't overshadow Jodie's TV Doctor)

Pretty good I`d say--Smith on record saying that work permitting he would always return to the role if ever asked....who`s to say BF haven`t nabbed him already and just waiting for the right time to release the news...as for Ecclescakes returning---is it really gobsmacking?  With the current pandemic and actors not knowing if and when they are going to be earning any money then set up at BF presents ideal solution---they attract amazing names likes of John Hurt, Derek Jacobi, David Warner et al...Eccles would have done his research on BF and probably thought `--yeah why not...`  easy money really...

mjwilson

mjwilson

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on August 09, 2020, 06:10:26 PM
Pretty good I`d say--Smith on record saying that work permitting he would always return to the role if ever asked....

Might just be being polite though. And Smith, Karen and Rory have said they wouldn't want to do any more together because it would spoil the story that has already been told.

mjwilson

Quote from: crankshaft on August 09, 2020, 05:05:25 PM
I think this could be great, but if it's the same writers they throw indiscriminately at every single project...I don't know. I don't find the idea of yet more Big Finish DW by Nick Briggs a very appealing prospect.

The first season of Eighth Doctor and Fourth Doctor stories were both pretty shit because they rushed them out in the excitement of having the actor agree to join them, so there's unfortunately precedent.

Malcy

I was surprised when I realised it was for 12 stories. I thought maybe it was Time Lord Victorious related. I reckon he has sat and read all 12 scripts and then agreed. I don't see it as being 'easy money' for him. He's never short of work.

He's going to have to spend time getting back in to the character which will no doubt mean he'll have to go and rewatch his series. Something that given the circumstances might be a bit uncomfortable for him as he maybe hasn't watched them since they aired. It will be him stepping back to a difficult time for him.

I'm over the moon. This is the most excited I've been for anything Who related in a long long time. Chris's series remains my favourite for lots of reasons and I've probably thought during every episode since The Christmas Invasion how much of a massive shame it was that he didn't continue. I totally understand his reasons but he was such the perfect fit for the role. I would have liked to have pre-order the Vinyl but I can't afford to shell out for something that isn't released until next May. I wish BF would do a deposit and pay up until things were released. I'd be far more inclined to buy stuff if that was the case.

Black Ship

Hate to correct you, but he has actually rewatched them. There is an adorable passage in his book where he watches Rise with his kids, but it's a bit too scary for them.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on August 09, 2020, 07:04:01 PM
I reckon he has sat and read all 12 scripts and then agreed.

I'd be surprised if they've got all 12 written - I know they didn't even start on Tom Baker's till he agreed to do it, and then had to rush to get them done in time for his first series.

My guess is that they prepared a couple of scripts on the off-chance, and maybe gave him a few of their best stories - so he could get an idea of the finished product.

I wonder if this will attract some top names to write for him - Rob Shearman, Paul Cornell . . . even Moffat & RTD maybe? - It'd be like one of those Lockdown extras on steroids for them!

daf

Quote from: Black Ship on August 09, 2020, 07:19:23 PM
he watches Rise with his kids, but it's a bit too scary for them.

To be fair, that Channel 4 breakfast show would send anyone to hide behind the sofa!

Malcy

Quote from: Black Ship on August 09, 2020, 07:19:23 PM
Hate to correct you, but he has actually rewatched them. There is an adorable passage in his book where he watches Rise with his kids, but it's a bit too scary for them.

Spoilers! Just kidding. I have the audiobook but haven't listened yet so wasn't sure if he had or not. Should really start it this week before embarking on The Further Adventures Of Lucie Miller which is the next BF I'm going to listen to.

Quote from: daf on August 09, 2020, 07:21:15 PM
I'd be surprised if they've got all 12 written - I know they didn't even start on Tom Baker's till he agreed to do it, and then had to rush to get them done in time for his first series.

My guess is that they prepared a couple of scripts on the off-chance, and maybe gave him a few of their best stories - so he could get an idea of the finished product.

I wonder if this will attract some top names to write for him - Rob Shearman, Paul Cornell . . . even Moffat & RTD maybe? - It'd be like one of those Lockdown extras on steroids for them!

Yeah that sounds more likely. I'm guessing that the material he was given was good enough for him to agree to doing it.

I would love to have a new RTD written Eccleston story. RTD's lockdown they for Novice Hame was superb. Even a short trip in that style would be brilliant I reckon.

daf

Quote from: Malcy on August 09, 2020, 07:39:52 PM
before embarking on The Further Adventures Of Lucie Miller which is the next BF I'm going to listen to.

Ooh - you're in for a treat!

I bought these totally blind when they had huge sale a year or so ago - all 4 series in one go, and I totally love them - they're a LOT of fun!

Malcy

Quote from: daf on August 09, 2020, 07:50:48 PM
Ooh - you're in for a treat!

I bought these totally blind when they had huge sale a year or so ago - all 4 series in one go, and I totally love them - they're a LOT of fun!

Hold on, 4 series?!?! I only thought there was one! Did it not come out just last year? When Night Of The Doctor arrived out of nowhere I was delighted that Lucy got a name check. Sheridan Smith is a fantastic companion.

I stuck them on my iPad last week and only noticed today that a story called possibly 'Image Of The Fendahl' had appeared in the same folder so was wondering if there had been a stand alone as well as the boxset.

mjwilson

There's only one "Further Adventures" set, yes, and it includes "Island of the Fendahl".

Malcy

Quote from: mjwilson on August 09, 2020, 08:22:33 PM
There's only one "Further Adventures" set, yes, and it includes "Island of the Fendahl".

That's the one. It just looked out of place in iTunes. Just remembered that 'Image' is a Baker story. Thanks.

daf

Oops -  I missed the 'further adventures' bit - thought you meant the stuff they they did 10-12 years ago.

So, yes, to clarify - there's just one set of 'further adventures' (. . . so far!)

purlieu

It's strange, because he's actually my least favourite Doctor, but I'm really, really glad he's doing this. It's really nice to know he's made his peace with the character and is willing to  do more Doctor Who work, partially because he's such a great person.

Fucking Time Lord Victorious is the absolute epitome of the worst aspects of the fandom these days, a story which requires fans to buy into every format available (knowing that there are enough fans who'll buy into all of it regardless). Multiple comics, figurines, BBC audio, four Big Finish stories, two novels, a vinyl-only release and stuff in the 2021 annual. I'd admire its scope if it didn't feel so utterly cynical.

VelourSpirit

I just started laughing when I heard that Eccleston news, 100% believed he'd never do it! He's said doing conventions has been a huge healing process for him since Doctor Who was a pretty traumatic time for him, with his anorexia, conflicts with producers/directors and his BBC blacklisting. Really lovely that he can turn this role into something positive now.

I agree with crankshaft on writers - I'll be disappointed if the first set is just the same familiar names like you get with the eighth Doctor sets. Still, the Tenth Doctor Adventures have been a lot different to those. Some really good stories in there, and no Daleks which bodes well. Tennant is only just now having his first Dalek Big Finish story this month after four years, the one with Tom Baker. The ninth Doctor's arc is so sacred to me, I'd hate for them to put him in another Dalek story and then just do a memory wipe or something. But yeah, don't think they will, since Tennant's audios haven't been lore heavy "River Song, Weeping Angels, Meddling Monk, errrr 4 different Masters etc etc" sets like Doom Coalition or whatever.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: purlieu on August 09, 2020, 11:38:29 PM
Fucking Time Lord Victorious is the absolute epitome of the worst aspects of the fandom these days, a story which requires fans to buy into every format available (knowing that there are enough fans who'll buy into all of it regardless). Multiple comics, figurines, BBC audio, four Big Finish stories, two novels, a vinyl-only release and stuff in the 2021 annual. I'd admire its scope if it didn't feel so utterly cynical.
Definitely. It's weird that all the announcements have included words like "licensees, brand, ASDA comissioned-for-vinyl exclusive, product lineup", I don't know why they're using all this transparent marketingy speech. Like at least pretend it's not just BBC Worldwide plastering Tennant on things to keep the brand afloat now it's facing a huge break after an episode that reached the lowest audience figures in the last 15 years!

I'll still consume though. The audios, at least. Maybe the books since those seem to have the real main plot

daf

Quote from: TwinPeaks on August 10, 2020, 07:19:15 AM
Really lovely that he can turn this role into something positive now.

a.k.a "Doing a Colin Baker" - I still can't quite believe that he's now my favourite doctor!

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: daf on August 09, 2020, 07:21:15 PM

Wonder which period they will go for?

They could go Post Time War/pre Rose...we saw from Episode 1 that 9 was up to all sorts...Titanic..Kennedy etc...that could mean new companions

Other option is adventures with Rose in between TV adventures...they have Billie Piper signed up so feasible...

Final option is timey wimey bollox where 9 is taken from his time line for further adventures..again scope for mix of old and new companions..possibly multi Doctor....

Maybe a combo of all of above?

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: mjwilson on August 09, 2020, 06:33:20 PM
The first season of Eighth Doctor and Fourth Doctor stories were both pretty shit because they rushed them out in the excitement of having the actor agree to join them, so there's unfortunately precedent.

ISTR first run of 8th Dr were well received..this included Chimes of Midnight...think BF got complacent and started churning out dross...McGann threatened to call it a day which was a wake up call to BF..we then got the Lucie Miller run of stories and the award winning Dark Eyes series..

The quality of BF scripts does vary..but it is light years ahead of anything they are producing on TV

mjwilson

Quote from: purlieu on August 09, 2020, 11:38:29 PM

Supposedly you don't have to buy everything and each strand stands alone... but they must know Who fans can be a bit fussy about their collections.

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on August 10, 2020, 09:34:13 AM
Wonder which period they will go for?

They could go Post Time War/pre Rose...we saw from Episode 1 that 9 was up to all sorts...Titanic..Kennedy etc...that could mean new companions

Other option is adventures with Rose in between TV adventures...they have Billie Piper signed up so feasible...

Final option is timey wimey bollox where 9 is taken from his time line for further adventures..again scope for mix of old and new companions..possibly multi Doctor....

Maybe a combo of all of above?

Nah, it's easier than that.

There are a couple of moments in Rose where he leaves by himself. Once after his "Turn of the Earth/Forget me" speech and once again when Rose turns him down, only for him to come back a few moments later and give her the "Did I mention it also travels in time?" spiel.

I'd be setting any new, non-Rose adventures during those "breaks".

EDIT: Thinking about it, there's another moment after he blows up the department store. Rose runs past the TARDIS on the high street that evening, but when he leaves after the "Forget me" speech it's on Rose's estate. That's probably an even better moment, because he'd have left thinking he'd gotten rid of the Nestene, only to get another signal later, causing him to return.

Quote from: Blofelds Cat on August 10, 2020, 09:43:04 AM
ISTR first run of 8th Dr were well received..this included Chimes of Midnight...

That one was in the second series.

daf

Yes that first four are an uneven bunch : Storm Warning is fine, as is Stones of Venice (a historical - though it's actually set in the future and sports a typically fruity Paul Magrs script)

But Sword of Orion and Minuet in Hell* betray the rush they were in to cobble stuff together - as they're both old Audio Visuals stories from the 80s that Nick Briggs quickly dusted down, and re-badged for McGann.

Here's the original versions of those two : AV Sword  |  AV Minuet

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Despite the welcome presence of Nicholas Courtney as The Brig, Minuet in Hell is usually singled out as one of the worst stories by Big Finish - unwisely set in the USA, so everyone's giving their best 'Morton Dill', the Doctor's out of the game for most of it - having lost his memory, and Charley ends up working in a seedy Brothel!

crankshaft

Quote from: daf on August 10, 2020, 02:25:10 PM
* Despite the welcome presence of Nicholas Courtney as The Brig, Minuet in Hell is usually singled out as one of the worst stories by Big Finish - unwisely set in the USA, so everyone's giving their best 'Morton Dill', the Doctor's out of the game for most of it - having lost his memory, and Charley ends up working in a seedy Brothel![/color]

The thing about Minuet is that it's total bollocks, it's far too long and it's mental, but at least it's never boring, which is more than you can say about a lot of the recent BF output.

mjwilson

Quote from: daf on August 10, 2020, 02:25:10 PM
Yes that first four are an uneven bunch : Storm Warning is fine

Episode one of Storm Warning is so bad that, when I heard it on the DWM freebie CD, I changed my mind about buying the story.

Chedney Honks

Feel like pure shit just want to listen to The Macra Terror.

McGann's initial run is also compromised by that slow, plodding David Arnold theme. Just hearing that fills me with dread at what's to come.

Malcy